new DTAC ?"happy tourist" SIM card, how long will it be active if not used?

chubby

new DTAC ?"happy tourist" SIM card, how long will it be active if not used?

I have it tied into my bangkok banking, but may be out of the country for 7-8 months, and it's a hassle to have to update it with my banking.

I do have an international phone number that would receive SMS messages, but bangkok bank, says for OTP messages etc I can only use my local mobile in Thailand.

Guess they don't send SMS to email either.

so If i'm not in Thailand I can't transfer money via ibanking because it requires a OTP

thanks

It should remain active according to the balance to have - check by dialling *101*9#

Enable roaming and you can receive SMS messages free anywhere there is a connection, but be aware that Dtac do not have reciprocal agreements everywhere, so even though the mobile will have a signal, it's won't have a connection.

Not sure if you can't do all this on the website too..

Dialing *113*180*9# should extend your Dtac validity by 180 days but I think it is dependant on you having had the number for maybe a month and doing a recharge previously?

Cost is 10 baht or some other small amount.

You can extend validity by up to 365 days. Add another 30 or 90 or 180 to extend for longer.

I have 400 baht + on it, and will have extended the auto-contract 2-3 times before i leave ;

when would i need to do the 180 day thing? i won't be able to do that when i'm out of the country > 180 days , which i may be .....so not sure if that is going to help, but thanks

somehow there is a formula that if you top up for a couple of month your vaildity goes for 6mo, then you can pay 2 baht /month to extend it about another 5 months, is what happened.

and apparently international SMS roaming is free, and doesn't require i have an account with a provider in the USA to get SMS's just as long as i keep the DTAC SIM in the phone it will pick up Tmobiles cell phone towers, and send me SMS's

and apparently the phone may ring as well from thailand, and i'm only charged if i answer ........will believe it when it happens

the T21 6th floor kept telling me i had to keep 240 baht on the account to have it stay active, the Customer Service had no idea what they were talking about .......

You can manage your pre-paid DTAC SIM via their website. That includes seeing your balance, its expiration date, and topping it up as needed via their website, including by using a non-Thai bank credit or debit card, if you desire.

You used to log-in with your mobile number and pre-established password, but they've now changed that and replaced the password with the SMS code they'll send to your DTAC number each time (presumably because too many Thais couldn't remember their own passwords).

https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login?ref=dashboard

DTAC also has what they call their Jai Dee Day Giveaway service where, either by telephone or by online, you can automatically extend the validity of whatever balance you have on your account/SIM by varying periods, up to 6 months per extension, for a very small charge, like 10 or 12 baht. Use that all the time.

post-58284-0-84943300-1455295747_thumb.j

post-58284-0-83995800-1455295989_thumb.j

There's also a final note at the end of their info about them reserving the right to cancel service if the customer doesn't have any usage within 3 months after "service application."

http://dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/jai-dee.html

the T21 6th floor kept telling me i had to keep 240 baht on the account to have it stay active, the Customer Service had no idea what they were talking about .......

Perhaps DTAC has different kinds of underlying service plans. For example, I don't have or use their Happy Tourist SIM, so I can't speak to that or its rules.

But I have their basic vanilla pre-paid SIM, and I never keep a 240+ baht balance on it, mainly because I only use the SIM for data on a rarely used backup 3G tablet.

PS -- Obviously you have to have some balance on your SIM in order to extend its validity. So when you do that, DTAC will just deduct the up to 12 baht fee off your existing balance. They're not charging you separately via a credit card or bank debit or anything like that in order to extend.

I have 400 baht + on it, and will have extended the auto-contract 2-3 times before i leave ;

when would i need to do the 180 day thing? i won't be able to do that when i'm out of the country > 180 days , which i may be .....so not sure if that is going to help, but thanks

You can do the extension anytime, as long as you still have an active account.

As I said, you can do it online via the DTAC website or simply by calling DTAC customer service and giving them your mobile number. It's easier to call from inside Thailand because they promote their 4 digit service number, but there's no reason you can't also call them on their regular 02- number from abroad, even if you don't call with your DTAC number and use another phone/service instead for the call.

what the difference between a plain vanilla pre-paid SIM and a tourist SIM?

i'm on a 399/month plan and i'm told that if i don't have adequate Baht on it .......say i only have 200 baht, it will auto-cancel the 399 plan , and presumably not use any of the 200 that remains on the account and hence i guess it doesn't matter how much is on the account as long as it is > 1 baht , if there is no active plan ?

the guy more or less at T21 6th floor insisted the tourist SIM was the only choice, this was before, or until i now recall, that best thing is always to call the English call center for most things, instead of my using my broken thai and their broken english .......

Perhaps DTAC has different kinds of underlying service plans. For example, I don't have or use their Happy Tourist SIM, so I can't speak to that or its rules.

But I have their basic vanilla pre-paid SIM, and I never keep a 240+ baht balance on it, mainly because I only use the SIM for data on a rarely used backup 3G tablet.

PS -- Obviously you have to have some balance on your SIM in order to extend its validity. So when you do that, DTAC will just deduct the up to 12 baht fee off your existing balance. They're not charging you separately via a credit card or bank debit or anything like that in order to extend.

um, what is "IVR dial" ?

and "doesn't have any usage within 3 months after "service application." ?

if that means from service application, that means initial setup?

what "application"

as this might muck up the plan if it means from "last use"

You can manage your pre-paid DTAC SIM via their website. That includes seeing your balance, its expiration date, and topping it up as needed via their website, including by using a non-Thai bank credit or debit card, if you desire.

You used to log-in with your mobile number and pre-established password, but they've now changed that and replaced the password with the SMS code they'll send to your DTAC number each time (presumably because too many Thais couldn't remember their own passwords).

DTAC also has what they call their Jai Dee Day Giveaway service where, either by telephone or by online, you can automatically extend the validity of whatever balance you have on your account/SIM by varying periods, up to 6 months per extension, for a very small charge, like 10 or 12 baht. Use that all the time.

attachicon.gifPS4293.jpg

attachicon.gifPS4294.jpg

There's also a final note at the end of their info about them reserving the right to cancel service if the customer doesn't have any usage within 3 months after "service application."

i wish thais would get with the modern world and use email. as if this international SMS roaming doesn't work, i'll have to call in to thailand, yes do-able but inconvenient, as can't get SMS ; many companies use a choice of SMS or email,

......sounds like a "rollover" type thing, where you don't lose your baht. but if typically there is 180 days on an active account? why would you be using it "all the time" ?

attachicon.gifPS4293.jpg

attachicon.gifPS4294.jpg

what the difference between a plain vanilla pre-paid SIM and a tourist SIM?

i'm on a 399/month plan and i'm told that if i don't have adequate Baht on it .......say i only have 200 baht, it will auto-cancel the 399 plan , and presumably not use any of the 200 that remains on the account and hence i guess it doesn't matter how much is on the account as long as it is > 1 baht , if there is no active plan ?

There are different named types of SIMs, and then beyond that, there are various types of service plans, monthly add-on packages, etc. Prepaid where you pay in advance, and postpaid where they send you a bill at the end of each billing cycle. It might be helpful if you could identify just what DTAC plan you're using that's charging you 399b per month.

But, as regards the Tourist SIM, I see looking at the DTAC website that they also offer 6 month and one year service extensions on that SIM, at somewhat higher prices than the Jai Dee packages for regular prepaid DTAC SIMs.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/tourist-packages.html

post-58284-0-19773700-1455345109_thumb.j

i guess i'm just a bit fundamentally confused, by the pre pay method here, eg my cycle is the 24th of the month, and i'm on a 399/month plan, i added extra baht so i can make some phone calls, but then despite having 410 baht on my account

it just did an emergency topup and told me i was almost out of baht

is everything over the 399 unusable for phone calls / SMSs ?

I have no idea what kind of prepaid plan you're on, if that's in fact what you've got.

I'd really suggest you go to the DTAC service hall in Siam Paragon, good English speaking staff there, and sort out just what service plan/details you've got... And then talk with them about what kind of service you WANT (calling, data, etc.) .... moving forward. It's pretty easy to change or switch plans with them.

You may be better off getting off on the Tourism SIM, and switching to a regular DTAC Happy prepaid SIM where the only money you pay is for what you actually use. If you're not going to be living here full-time, then obviously prepaid with the Jaidee service extensions as needed is a better approach that monthly postpaid.

you think Siam Paragon has better English than Terminal 21 DTAC service counter ? cause as i was saying T21 is OK for something simple, but otherwise they just put you on the phone with a service center for English ........

i'm pretty sure I am on some kind of 399/mo package, but like everything here, it's a bit vague...... when I log onto the DTAC website and click 'my package' this is what I see: (nothing about 399 per se ......) :)

Foreigner1.05B/min Net2.14B/MB Netbonusrefill

Plan 1 - Foreigner1.05B/min_Net2.14B/MB_Netbonusrefill_Add Start 25 Dec 2015

yes, DTAC at Siam Paragon is very good. I've dealt with them before, and found their servicesknowledge level and English were both quite good.

The mobile ISPs staff at T21, not so much.

BTW, is this the DTAC plan you have now?

attachicon.gifPS4312.jpg

happy tourist sim via 00400

Start 25 Dec 2015, 10:19

Until 24 Jun 2016, 23:59

Call free 150 Min./month. Excess rate 1.50Baht/Min

Start 25 Dec 2015, 10:21

Non-stop internet at max speed 3GB 399B/month

Start 25 Dec 2015, 10:21

I'm assuming what you posted above is something from DTAC re your account. And if so, it shows you're got a 399b per month add-on internet package, and a 6 month validity tourist SIM.

Obviously, if you're going to be out of Thailand for extended periods of time during that six month period, you don't need or want a 399b per month automatic billing internet package.

And frankly, although you can extend the validity of DTAC tourist SIMs (as per my post on that above), it's more expensive to do so with a tourist SIM than with a regular DTAC Happy prepaid SIM, which you might consider having DTAC switch you to.

Depends on if the time you're planning to be away from Thailand is during that initial six month period, or later after its conclusion.

yes, thats my "package"

as to why its called "add-on" i've no idea, seems like to "add on" 1st you need something to add it to ........ or maybe everything is "add on"

re: being out of country, i was told that once my last period rolls around that if there is NOT adequate money on the account it will auto-cancel and no harm done, and that this WONT effect my SIM card staying active through next year, as long as there is > 1 baht in the account

but, as i said, i don't really understand the big picture on how things work, (they are complicated in the USA be design as well)

.....eg is there a separate category for money that is to be used for phone call and SMS over and above what I'm allotted by the plan ??? or is all the money in the account always mixed and usuable for over the 399(430 with tax) ? ......see my question above, it did an emergency top up for some reason, though i had like 430 baht in the plan and it WASNT near the end of my monthly cycle ..... perhaps it was topping up the money over the 430 needed .......so i could continue to make phone calls, as my alloted voice calls were finished somehow

extending the tourist SIM i think costs like 2 baht /month, i'm not sure how it could be cheaper than that with the prepaid ....... but, perhaps the prepaid is best, I just can't understand the difference yet, from what you've said ...... but thanks

I'm assuming what you posted above is something from DTAC re your account. And if so, it shows you're got a 399b per month add-on internet package, and a 6 month validity tourist SIM.

Obviously, if you're going to be out of Thailand for extended periods of time during that six month period, you don't need or want a 399b per month automatic billing internet package.

And frankly, although you can extend the validity of DTAC tourist SIMs (as per my post on that above), it's more expensive to do so with a tourist SIM than with a regular DTAC Happy prepaid SIM, which you might consider having DTAC switch you to.

Depends on if the time you're planning to be away from Thailand is during that initial six month period, or later after its conclusion.

extending the tourist SIM i think costs like 2 baht /month, i'm not sure how it could be cheaper than that with the prepaid ....... but, perhaps the prepaid is best, I just can't understand the difference yet, from what you've said ...... but thanks

Look at the Tourist SIM extension rates shown above in post #16. They're considerably higher than for the regular Happy prepaid SIM.

180d/50B

365d/100B

is what #16 says .

in my case I paid 2 baht for 30 days and 6 B for 90 days when they did it for me. or 2 B/ month or for 180 days 12 Baht

perhaps this is a one time thing they did for me, since I called the CS and not the regular price, i've no idea.

......whatever it is, they bigger point to me is just trying to understand how the overall system works, and the broken English terminology, I'm sure it's 2nd nature, for folks used to it, but not for me, hence, I'm trying to ask

......eg is everything an "add on"? whats a tourist SIM vs. a prepaid SIM, I guess toursit SIM are tied to "packages" , though, the packages are just a number of "add ons", so one can NOT pick and choose and roll your own package on a tourist SIM, and what happens to the baht in the account to be used for minutes over and above what's allocated by the "add on/package" ........sigh

.....though when i get some time i'll also make my way down to Paragon

its just these kind of things that make everyday either an adventure or a hassle,

180d/50B

365d/100B

is what #16 says .

in my case I paid 2 baht for 30 days and 6 B for 90 days when they did it for me. or 2 B/ month or for 180 days 12 Baht

The prices you're quoting are the regular ones for a regular prepaid SIM extension with DTAC.

That's different than the higher ones posted on their website for extending the Tourist SIM, the ones I reposted above in #16.

Can't account for why they charged you as they did, given that you seem to have a Tourist SIM.

Is there some difference in the hardware of a Tourist SIM? It appears to be just a marketing ploy to charge more than the standard SIM. The Dtac SIM's that are handed out at the airport might be "Tourist SIMS", but if treated like a standard SIM, services are charged at the usual prices for the standard SIM

• 2 weeks later...

made it to paragon, with a blank stare and funny male eyebrows, he insisted he can understand complicated english.

he swore up and down for 15 minutes there is not difference between a pay as you go SIM and a Tourist SIM.

but the "add on" is so-named because w/o a package , the SIM converts to a pay-as you go SIM, hence the name 'add on' your adding on to the pay as you go scheme.

he could not explain how with 500 baht on my 400 baht, plan somehow my jaidii emergency kicked in adding 30B , but insists i must have approved it, as it doesn't happen automagically.

i finally showed him this page and the links to the difference in price, then he did something on the computer, and said, ok now you are not on a tourist SIM, in effect.

apparently each time one tops up for >50 B (the minimum), you get one month more, so might as well just top up online, for 50B a few times, and get the credits that way

then pay for 6 months , not sure why anyone would do that unless they have 2-4 SIMs and swap them in and out

I rarely use my prepaid DTAC SIM. I just keep it as a backup in one of my 3G tablets for potential data use that most of the time sits at home... But at the same time, I don't want to lose that DTAC number or have my account expire, even though I'm not topping it up or using it on a regular basis.

So, once every 6 months, I go online with my DTAC account and do the 6 month validity extension and that deducts 12 baht from my prepaid balance, which is certainly a bargain. Then, the SIM sits in my drawer, most of the time, for another six months until it's time to spend another 12 baht. I think that's a mobile phone budget expenditure I can handle without too much sweat.

And if my house internet goes down unexpectedly, as occasionally happens here for a few hours or a day or even two days, the DTAC SIM and its data capability serves as one of my backup internet resources that can be tapped as needed.

attachicon.gifPS4293.jpg

attachicon.gifPS4294.jpg

Archived