District Chief: Prosecution of Pattaya Bridge Players will continue as planned

webfact

So what happened to the nasty person that

started all this.

Was there an arrest or fine ?

Made me laugh. Don't you think the police have better things to do, like supporting the DOPA officer in pressing for a prosecution. Might be hard cash in it for them.

Would have thought it would be the perfect face saving road to go down, at present ?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The District Chief has lost face so badly that it will take time for him to recover from this fiasco. if ever. He has made a complete fool of himself and continues to do so. If he has any sense, which seems doubtful, I suggest he keeps low profile and wait for this pantomime to be forgotten which it wont for a very long time.coffee1.gif

So what happened to the nasty person that

started all this.

Was there an arrest or fine ?

Made me laugh. Don't you think the police have better things to do, like supporting the DOPA officer in pressing for a prosecution. Might be hard cash in it for them.

Would have thought it would be the perfect face saving road to go down, at present ?

This DOPA guy is so full of himself that he will never concede he is wrong in his lifetime, so it will have to be played out in court if the RTP support him.

I really have to wonder what is going through the District Chief's head. There's a saying in golf that you should never compound a mistake, which is what he is blatantly doing.

I sometimes have a 20 baht bet with a friend on a golf game. Am i about to be arrested too?

Admitting he made a mistake seems to be problematic for this guy and many other Thai officials. He may be concerned that his underlings now see him as fallible or even a clown.

Also, he may have invested money in the raid confident of netting a handsome profit which has morphed into a net loss. He may now be chasing his losses.

I believe it is about a Thai who HATE farangs!!!

What happen if Thais play cards? They would been locked up by the police!!!

So why farangs can play cards? They are specialy or what? No!!!

If Thais must go in the monkeyhouse and to court it's time to bring the farangs there too!!!

And if farangs not like it: GO HOME!!!

If all gone Thais can buy cheap houses, condos and appartements!!!

After the farangs come back again!!!

This are in my mind!!!

Sorry I'm not understanding ...

is your problem with Thais or westerners?

appearantly what he means tae say is, THAILAND belongs tae the Thais, either accept yer situation in this cuntry as a FARANG OR (if yer not happy with it) GO HOME!!!

I don't care that Thailand (Puke it) is losing 128 West-European Bridge game players per week that are spending over 100K Baht each. My parents went to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico for a all-inlcusive Bridge game tournament at a Riu resort in stead, last Saturday. In my father's email from last Wednesday he says that the trip to Mexico is even cheaper and better than he experienced when going to Puke it all the times before. The organising agent bans Thailand for ever.

A loss of income for Thailand. Well they just added a 25% extra tax on cigarettes. LM rising from 68 THB to 86 THB, I heard. I'm a non-smoker as of the rest of my family. What's next, tax rise on (alcoholic) beverages ?

Doing everything he can so not. crazy.gif

"To loose Face"

Ah yes doing yea ole Thai 2 step and famous U turn after the seniors were assured that there would be no charges just like no subs and no single internet gateway system. So there my fellow TV friends you have the template on how to measure things here in Thailand. The opposite always applies. Someone should tell this guy that there are 600 outstanding serious criminal cases open that need attention.

I heard that the charges against all players were dropped but the organizer of the club, a 72 year old man, will be charged with playing with cards not approved by the Thai authorities, as stipulated in that 1935 card playing act. The man, if found guilty will have to pay a fine of 130,000 baht, if he pleads guilty the fine will be 60,000 baht.

Glad to see he will be charged the foreigner fine scale for this heinous offence. The THAI that killed the biker from Chile last year got off with 7500 bahts and is out on the road again today. The carrot for this 72 year old guy is the "reduction" to 60,000 bahts and a possible promise that they will not boot him out of the country for his serious crime. Why boot him out? they could maybe get a second shot at him in the future and get more gelt. What a cruel joke. They got you coming and if not going.

Nobody seems to be bringing this up, including the authorities, was there gambling involved? My grandparents were prolific bridge players and part of a club in SW Florida USA where Bridge Club (Monday, Friday & Sunday) nightly winnings well exceeded my savings in those days - I was in my early 20s wink.png

You are rather late to the party. Read all the news published your answer will be there.

Do you really think there is one judge here in Thailand that would not back up the governments play in this matter?. After the guilty verdict the cops are absolved and they will all say "See we told you a crime happened"

Exactly! But I think the DOPA dude is beating the bushes to find a certain 'judge' who'll be sympathetic to his predicament and will render a verdict that's favorable to him and little, if any, face is lost. Hey--that's how things work around here!

I reckon it comes down to who has more stroke & influence--Khunying Chodchoy and her 'Bangkok Bridge Tournament' or the DOPA District Chief...

Whatever...should be interesting how this farce plays out wink.png

Is this bridge "club" a business or a private organized group of people who get together to play cards...is liquor sold at these gatherings...do they have a liquor license...do they adhere to the alcohol sale laws...do they also sell fags...they may have many questions to answer for.

Good points made. Was this just a group of friends getting together for a friendly no money involved game of bridge, or was this an organised club where paid joining and attendance fees were involved? Was there alcoholic drinks sold on the premises and did the organizers register this as a bridge club?

Wrong to blame the police for over reaction when we don`t have knowledge of all the facts.

The reason why you do not have "all the facts" is that you have not researched the matter.

The Pattaya Bridge Club was founded in 1994 by Honorary British Consul Barry Kenyon, MBE. He was one of the players arrested. The club has been an associate of the Thailand Bridge League since 1994.

Liquor is sold by the Alto's, the bar/restaurant downstairs.

Khunying Chodchoy Sophonpanich, President of the Asia Pacific Bridge League met early this week with senior officials from the Ministry of the Interior. They have resolved to direct the Ministry of Sports to produce documentation for every bridge club in Thailand that states that duplicate bridge is EXEMPT from all laws about gambling and the Cards Act.

a bridge festival coming up, and this looney arrests bridge players, like most thais i meet they dont read papers or watch tv for the news.so they haven't got a clue what goes on in this country every day.(bubble lives) hey whats the betting this guy cant read lol !!

Pathetic.A group of pensioners enjoying a game of bridge.

Why don't the police do something more worthwhile with their resources?Such as arresting the real Koh Tao murderer(s).

You Absolutely Hit the nail on the head there.

What a complete imbecile.

What a dick this guy is , If they were not English this would be a non starter, Thais really have it in for us.

You seem to believe it is anti-English, well the English have been accused of breaking many laws in Thailand--look at the TV forums to see.

However I see it, really makes no difference either. The chief is maintaining the card players were violating Thai laws. It seems a rather easy claim violation on exceeding the limit of playing cards allowed, he suspects gambling was being done, and it may be arguable that the host was running a business. If either of those last two charges sticks, then there may be many other charges which could be applied.

Let it come to trial; there are enough of them to hire a good lawyer, and it seems to be an easy case to acquire outside financial support for a good legal defense. I think it will simply be swept under the covers after some fanfare of exhibiting an effort to uphold Thai law--and save loss of face.

Wonder how TAT will spin this one?

TAT will not be bothered as most, if not all those who participate are long term residents and not tourists.

Not unless this gets organisers of international events to cancel or chose to hold events elsewhere, even then I still think they will keep their heads in the sand.

A number of restaurants were hit by I believe these same district officials here in Pattaya over the holidays. A rather big fine for selling alcohol in their restaurant between the hours of 2pm and 5pm. Easy money maker for them.

That is a new spin on the money making machine....

since income sources are getting less, one must start scraping the bottom of the barrel......

coffee1.gif

A number of restaurants were hit by I believe these same district officials here in Pattaya over the holidays. A rather big fine for selling alcohol in their restaurant between the hours of 2pm and 5pm. Easy money maker for them.

One has to define whether it is illegal to purchase and consume as well as sell alcohol between 2 & 5pm...

Then define whether the room(s) constitute being part of the restaurant or private, and prove the drinks were purchased from the restaurant or anywhere else between 2 & 5pm.

"He would prefer the case be heard in front of a Judge who can then decide if Bridge is illegal to play in Thailand or not."

If illegal that would be a nice blow to the Thai Bridge association, dont they have a yearly tournament coming up ? cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

TIT

Archived