Thai Officials Investigate a 54% Increase in Foreign Tourists Deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai Officials Investigate a 54% Increase in Foreign Tourists Deaths

BANGKOK – Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Ministry is working to understand and and at the same time address the issue of tourist safety.

The concern comes after Thai Officials noticed a 54% jump in the number of foreign tourists who lost their lives in Thailand past year.

Chadamas Chinmaneevong of the Bangkok Post reported that the Bureau of Prevention and Assistance in Tourist Fraud revealed that 83 foreign tourists died in Thailand last year, up 54% from the previous year. Another 166 were injured, down 160% from the previous year.

These figures were compiled from reports from the ministry’s 10 offices nationwide.

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-02-13

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how TAT spins this one! No doubt they will find some positive upside.

Wait for the minister to say this proves how popular LoS is as foreigners even come here to die.

Quote of the morning. clap2.gif

This report probably quoting verbatim from a Ministry press release is predictably ridiculous.

You cannot lump all deaths in together. You need to look at each and every case and categorise and find the reasons and come up with solutions and put them in place.

At best this is just a knee jerk reaction to some stats somebody put together (foreign embassies probably led by the Chinese who seem to be very good at dying here)

However, if 1 life is saved because of this, I suppose it will be worthwhile. I am not confident.

I expect this rising trend to continue. As the cockroaches see others getting away with murder, KT being a great example, they will become emboldened, and escalate violence. Witness the gang of teenage scumbags beating a helpless old man on the head with a baseball bat because they wanted money for video games. Evidently this was just the most extreme of the gang's antics. As they got away scot free with lesser crimes, they pushed the envelope.

I expect this rising trend to continue. As the cockroaches see others getting away with murder, KT being a great example, they will become emboldened, and escalate violence. Witness the gang of teenage scumbags beating a helpless old man on the head with a baseball bat because they wanted money for video games. Evidently this was just the most extreme of the gang's antics. As they got away scot free with lesser crimes, they pushed the envelope.

Apples never fall very far from the trees.

This report probably quoting verbatim from a Ministry press release is predictably ridiculous.

You cannot lump all deaths in together. You need to look at each and every case and categorise and find the reasons and come up with solutions and put them in place.

At best this is just a knee jerk reaction to some stats somebody put together (foreign embassies probably led by the Chinese who seem to be very good at dying here)

However, if 1 life is saved because of this, I suppose it will be worthwhile. I am not confident.

To compile a comprehensive report will require a lot of research and I can't see it happening.

I'm not saying there won't be a report including stats but it will probably be superficial and any conclusions iffy but favourable to LoS.

Archived