BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Tourist dies scuba diving in Phi Phi

Tourist dies scuba diving in Phi Phi

Kongleaphy Keam

post-247607-0-31216200-1455346303_thumb.

PHUKET: A tour company, a boat operator and a British dive professional are all in hot water after a tourist died in their care while scuba diving off Phi Phi yesterday.

Chinese national Minghua Jiang, 62, was recovered unconscious at about noon while scuba diving for the first time near Koh Poda (Koh Yawasam) in Phi Phi national park.

Mr Jiang, who was on a scuba diving tour with Scuba Addict, was one of two divers accompanied by British dive instructor Geoff Branigan, explained Lt Col Anurak Parinyasathiragul of the Krabi Marine Police.

“Mr Branigan left Mr Jiang underwater alone when he accompanied another diver to the surface, who was suffering ear pain due to issues with equalizing at depth,” said Col Anurak.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tourist-dies-scuba-diving-Phi-Phi/63140?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-13

Sad....

If it really was his 1st time diving then there is no excuse for leaving him alone underwater ! Negligence totally..

I'm not a diver, but I would have thought it a standard operating procedure that both divers surface, with the instructor, once the minor medical emergency was reported by one of the divers.

It's long past time that these tour or dive companies really looked after their customers. 62 year old Chinese tourist on first scuba dive ... recipe for disaster ....

How did a 62 yo Chinaman pass a PADI diver medical ? Or was this just a one off resort dive with minimal training and health checks ? Can believe the instructor would leave a novice behind and surface while surfacing with another.

it looks like the TAT is going to flip out with the 2016 tourist death rate, there has been approx 9 in Krabi province alone in the past 2 weeks!!!!, I will never set foot in this place again it is manic the worst holuday i've ever had in thailand, the roads/speed are insane, not to mention the sea with all the HUNDREDS of speedboat tours blasting around at full speed (it is like all the thais here are on a death wish)

sad for the familys of all the Deceased but i will just says something ....THIALAND IS NOT SAFE, whatever you are told by tour agents (or what many on here believe)

It is a death-a-day in Thailand's diving industry.

This one is a bit unusual. They have actually pinned it on somebody. 'Cos he is a farang.

I will wait for tomorrow's death. I predict it will be 'unexplained' with the dive instructors, captain and tour company all surreptitiously pointing the finger at each other. I also predict the deceased will be Chinese.

Doesn't seem to deter the tourists, neither does it stir the authorities into action. Seems to have become normalised.

How did a 62 yo Chinaman pass a PADI diver medical ? Or was this just a one off resort dive with minimal training and health checks ? Can believe the instructor would leave a novice behind and surface while surfacing with another.

Medical requirements for discover scuba diving and multi day courses are the same.

Where did you find it was a PADI course by the way?

A bit off topic, but it looks like the reporting from PG is accurate and complete this time.

The shop in questions sells both SSI and PADI courses, how do you know that this was a PADI course?

It is a death-a-day in Thailand's diving industry.

This one is a bit unusual. They have actually pinned it on somebody. 'Cos he is a farang.

I will wait for tomorrow's death. I predict it will be 'unexplained' with the dive instructors, captain and tour company all surreptitiously pointing the finger at each other. I also predict the deceased will be Chinese.

Doesn't seem to deter the tourists, neither does it stir the authorities into action. Seems to have become normalised.

A death a day? Can you back that up and proof it?

The shop in questions sells both SSI and PADI courses, how do you know that this was a PADI course?

I asked the same question also. The answer would make no difference to the medical though.

Chinese national Minghua Jiang, 62, was recovered unconscious at about noon while scuba diving for the first time .

Shouldn't the first scuba dive be a practice dive in swimming pool?

looks like the chinese are drowning faster than white dudes can fall off balconies

......i wonder who will get the top score by the end of the year?