Wife diagnosed as HIV+

jimmiejackson

This is the end of what has been a very tough week for my wife and I and I'm hoping that some of you guys might be able to help me out with some specific advice.

As a result of a routine blood donation for Charity, she was informed this week that her blood had tested positive for HIV.

I went for a test immediately and it came back negative.

I don't think there's much point in these circumstances dragging up the past but just to say that she's explained to me how she likely got it and it's just bad luck on her part.

So now it's time to look at the future.

At the moment we are waiting for the full blood tests to come back with another (from what I understand) deeper HIV test, CD4 count, Viral load, HBsAG, TPHAm Anti HBs, Anti HCV, Creatinine and SGPT (Alt). She got this test through the Red Cross and paid 3000 Baht for it.

When she gets the test back I'm sure we'll have more understanding of where she's at and the appropriate treatment.

She has Bupa insurance through her work that gives her 30 outpatient visits for a max of 1,200 Baht per time per year. She is in the Thai Social Fund and I purchased Cigna International Silver insurance (inpatient only) for us both last September (which would have been after she was infected but before we found out, or that she was reasonably supposed to know she had an infection).

I've read through all kinds of information on here and other forums throughout the week, as has she.

I'm certainly not rich but of course I want to make sure she gets the best treatment and that comes first.

I'm looking for some recommendations from people who know the system here well as to what I can do to maximize the quality of treatment and balance that with cost.

From what I understand, the best way would be to have a consultant at Bumrungrad to advise/prescribe/monitor treatment, to get the blood tests from the Red Cross Anonymous Clinic and to purchase the drugs directly from them after getting a prescription at Bumrungrad?

Does this sound like a good plan of action?

If so, does anyone have any specific recommendations for a Doctor at Bumrungrad and any idea how much each visit will cost and how often we'll likely need a visit?

Any advice on how to deal with payments, insurance or whatever other advice you may deem necessary will be gratefully received.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no experience about the system here but I do know a long time friend living with the same diagnosis. The key is to live as healthily as she possibly can. If she smokes, stop. If she drinks, stop. change the diet to as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. Maintain a healthy weight and outlook.

The immune system is attacked by poor diet and stress and anything she can do to alleviate those 2 conditions will help her survive the disease and the effects of any drugs which are very powerful and not without side effects.

So I would also engage a nutritionist if you can, either via insurance or privately because it is that important. My friend has been healthy and has shown no signs of AIDS related illness for 4 years since diagnosis.

I pray that your wife has similar results.

Assuming you are sexually active, you should continue to get period tests yourself as it takes time to show up in tests.

If you haven't already you should learn more about risk factors, female to male.

Good for you for showing so much support for your wife. It's not the death sentence it once was, but it's not nothing either.

OP, please don't overreact, even when the diagnosis might have hit you like a hammer.

First of all you'll have to wait for another- hopefully not positive- test result. These tests sometimes show the wrong results.

And even if she's got the virus, no reason to give up. All hospitals these days have the right treatment, the CD 4 count and virus load will be very important to decide if medication is needed, or not.

If she needs medicine, she can get this medication at a government hospital for almost nothing, or using her 30 baht card.

If you've got some questions you don't want to discuss here, please page me.

She can get the meds, tests etc for free at the hospital where she is registered under Social Security and this makes more sense IMO than paying out of pocket for it. If she is not happy with the quality of care she can change registration to another hospital. Also, can refer any complaints or problems to the Thai SS Office and they will intervene as needed. Note that as of 2014, the Thai national HIV treatment protocol is to initiate ART as soon as diagnosis is confirmed regardless of CD4 count -- so if the hospital tries to say otherwise, they are wrong.

If you want a private consultation from time to time, either because of specific questions/issues or just to get an expert second opinion on her treatment, Dr. Asda at Bumrungrad is excellent. Could use the BUPA outpatient allotment for that.

You need to use condoms with her from this point forward at least until her viral load is undetectable, which can take around 6 months of treatment to achieve. (Risk is not completely zero once VL undetectable but it is extremely small, small enough that many serodiscordant couples opt to stop condom use at that point, but it is an individual decision. Should definitely use condoms regularly until then, though.) And get retested yourself in 3-6 months. If her Hep B comes back positive then get tested for that as well.

There are several TV members in the same situation as yourself though living with it longer, hopefully some will reach out to you by private message.

You need to check if those insurance policies cover treatment for HIV. I can almost assure you that her BUPA plan provided by her work will not cover anything related to STD's or HIV. I am unaware of the other one you mentioned so I cannot comment.

I have the BUPA platinum policy and treatment for HIV along with all STD's is clearly outlined as being excluded from coverage.

Not ever ever missing a dose of the meds is super important. My friend, who has been positive for well over ten years takes his one pill a day in the morning. He has one of those plastic pill boxes that has the day on each indivdual lid so in case he gets sidetracked he can check..........He has a viral load of zero and has for a long long time. He is married and he and his wife dont even use condoms. One thing I might add. He used to be a party animal, overweight always out. Now, ten years of eating healthy and in the gym for cardio and lifting he looks 15 years younger than most guys his age. Even his younger brother looks way older.......So just Relax.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply so far. It's always touching to see how kind strangers can be in times of need.

So far it looks like once she's gotten the blood results next week she'll try and make an appointment with her SSF hospital for meds etc. Assuming all goes well I'll make an appointment with Dr Asda at Bumrungrad just to get a second opinion and make sure she's really been set up with the best regime and go from there.

It's definitely a relief that hopefully most of this (except the odd second opinion consultation) will be for free.

The Red Cross told her last week that the SSF will only pay for medication if her CD4 was below 500 (at least that's what I remember she told me, I'm still new to this!) and that if it was above and she still wanted the drugs anyway she would need to pay. From what Sheryl says this is incorrect, which is great news, seems strange that the Red Cross wouldn't know that though.

Any further advice is definitely appreciated.

Will report back on progress so hopefully others can benefit from any info I can provide as we go through this.

I am amazed that the usual morons have not jumped on the band wagon with the usual tripe. You are a brave guy, you opened the door for the morons, but thankfully common sense seems to have prevailed. Worrying will not help, but whatever , I wish you both the best of luck for the future. One post that stood out in response, was the one that stated HIV is not now the death sentence it was years ago. Feed positives from that . Great luck

I am amazed that the usual morons have not jumped on the band wagon with the usual tripe. You are a brave guy, you opened the door for the morons, but thankfully common sense seems to have prevailed. Worrying will not help, but whatever , I wish you both the best of luck for the future. One post that stood out in response, was the one that stated HIV is not now the death sentence it was years ago. Feed positives from that . Great luck

Me too, it's been refreshing. Really though, I couldn't care less. If I have to put up with some off color comments while getting some good advice that will help my wife, the woman I love and would do anything for, then so be it. For better or worse...

My wife has donated blood for charity. How the heck do you contract HIV like that? If this is not the appropriate thread to discuss this you may delete this post. Now I'm really scared.

She didn't contract it donating blood. When she donated blood they run a check on it to make sure it's safe to give to another person. This check came back positive for HIV.

My wife has donated blood for charity. How the heck do you contract HIV like that? If this is not the appropriate thread to discuss this you may delete this post. Now I'm really scared.

She didn't contract it donating blood. When she donated blood they run a check on it to make sure it's safe to give to another person. This check came back positive for HIV.

I see. I completely misunderstood the post. Thank you.

You need to check if those insurance policies cover treatment for HIV. I can almost assure you that her BUPA plan provided by her work will not cover anything related to STD's or HIV. I am unaware of the other one you mentioned so I cannot comment.

I have the BUPA platinum policy and treatment for HIV along with all STD's is clearly outlined as being excluded from coverage.

I have the same coverage/ plan from BUPA and can confirm that HIV/AIDS and related issues are a standard exclusion.

I know of a doctor in Bangkok that will issue a prescription for the required tablets with a low CD4 count, just tell him you want to start as soon as possible, he sells the tablets at his clinic or you can get from the Thai Red Cross.

The main issue is making sure she goes for regular blood tests, keep an eye on liver and kidney functions, as it might

be that the tablets might affect these, so a change would be necessary.

My wife received the same diagnosis over 15 years ago and is healthy as ever today. I immediately was tested and was and still am negative. She sees a doctor and receives her medicine every three months at the large government hospital on the corner of Rama IV and Silom, just across from the main entrance to Lumphini Park. Sorry I can't recall the name. She also has an annual full ladies physical at BNH hospital.

I always use a condom and get an HIV blood test at BNH every six months. It's painless to get the check there, they draw the blood, you go have lunch and come back in two hours for the results. The first time you get checked you will have to see the doctor first so he can explain about HIV but after that you just mention to the nurse at the counter that your wife is HIV positive and you are continuing your periodic checks and you don't have to see the doctor again.

Bottom line: as long as you practice safe sex and your wife religiously takes her medicine and does the regular doctor visits, which include blood checks every second or third visit, your life can be as normal as ever.

Also, as mentioned in one of the previous posts, eating healthy, staying in good physical condition and being very careful if she cuts herself or gets any type of infection will all help to to keep you both healthy.

The lady is HIV+ she does not have AIDS, Changing countries will not make you HIV-.or make the virus disappear. You can live with it for years without having any symptoms which is why she only found out when tested at the donation centre,

OP, please don't overreact, even when the diagnosis might have hit you like a hammer.

First of all you'll have to wait for another- hopefully not positive- test result. These tests sometimes show the wrong results.

And even if she's got the virus, no reason to give up. All hospitals these days have the right treatment, the CD 4 count and virus load will be very important to decide if medication is needed, or not.

If she needs medicine, she can get this medication at a government hospital for almost nothing, or using her 30 baht card.

If you've got some questions you don't want to discuss here, please page me.

"Then Public Health Minister, Mongkol Na Songkhla, abolished the 30 baht co-payment and made the UC scheme free." - It was abolished years ago.

DELETED

Nowerdays HIV tests are nearly 100 % diagnostic. If you are HIV positive that does not mean that you have any symptoms. Many people are HIV poistive for 5 to 10 years without any symptoms. That is one of the problems with HIV because these people are sick and can infect others but they don't know about it.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply so far. It's always touching to see how kind strangers can be in times of need.

So far it looks like once she's gotten the blood results next week she'll try and make an appointment with her SSF hospital for meds etc. Assuming all goes well I'll make an appointment with Dr Asda at Bumrungrad just to get a second opinion and make sure she's really been set up with the best regime and go from there.

It's definitely a relief that hopefully most of this (except the odd second opinion consultation) will be for free.

The Red Cross told her last week that the SSF will only pay for medication if her CD4 was below 500 (at least that's what I remember she told me, I'm still new to this!) and that if it was above and she still wanted the drugs anyway she would need to pay. From what Sheryl says this is incorrect, which is great news, seems strange that the Red Cross wouldn't know that though.

Any further advice is definitely appreciated.

Will report back on progress so hopefully others can benefit from any info I can provide as we go through this.

The CD 4 count is indeed a very important part of the usually every three month blood check. The virus load should at least be tested once a year. I remember a new law stating that the virus load check has to be done as well.

If her CD 4's are below 500 it's a warning sign that the virus load increased. But I've met people with less than 300 and it was possible to increase the CD 4 to 600 + with the right medication.

She'll get medicine for free. even when her CD 4's are 500 +.

Sheryl made some very good points, a healthy life, good food, a lot of fruits, veggies, etc....but it's also very important to think positive.

A relative has HIV for about 20 years and is in good health, taking her medication she receives monthly and free from a smaller hospital in lower northeast.

Most hospitals also have a HIV/AIDS group where members meet monthly, receive all knowledge they need to know, free condoms, etc..

I've Googled a bit and found one government hospital where the mentioned professor seems to work for.

5. Ramathibodi Hospital (Government)

270 Rama 6 Road, Thung Payathai
Rachathewi, Bangkok, 10400
TeL: 02 246 0024
Description: Research , trials, training, treatment.
You're not alone. Best of luck and i hope you guys will find the best possible solution.

calm down and re-read the OP.

the post does not say how his wife contracted HIV but does state the infection was identified during a blood donation.

this means there is a system in place to screen donated blood and that someone was doing their job. both of which we should be grateful for.

My wife received the same diagnosis over 15 years ago and is healthy as ever today. I immediately was tested and was and still am negative. She sees a doctor and receives her medicine every three months at the large government hospital on the corner of Rama IV and Silom, just across from the main entrance to Lumphini Park. Sorry I can't recall the name. She also has an annual full ladies physical at BNH hospital.

I always use a condom and get an HIV blood test at BNH every six months. It's painless to get the check there, they draw the blood, you go have lunch and come back in two hours for the results. The first time you get checked you will have to see the doctor first so he can explain about HIV but after that you just mention to the nurse at the counter that your wife is HIV positive and you are continuing your periodic checks and you don't have to see the doctor again.

Bottom line: as long as you practice safe sex and your wife religiously takes her medicine and does the regular doctor visits, which include blood checks every second or third visit, your life can be as normal as ever.

Also, as mentioned in one of the previous posts, eating healthy, staying in good physical condition and being very careful if she cuts herself or gets any type of infection will all help to to keep you both healthy.

You do not need to practice safe sex all the time, when her Viral Load is at a reasonable level then it is okay, as long as she continues taking her medication.

Practice safe sex all the time. Don't listen to people who say differently unless you're willing to go on PrEP therapy.

Wrong again, do you have HIV? I have been positive for over 5 years, my wife and I do not practice safe sex, she has no virus in her and we are currently doing ICSI treatment to have a child.

Just to add, that with ICSI all the sperm is washed, if any virus is found it is thrown away, both of us have regular blood tests and nothing has changed in years

Archived