Wife diagnosed as HIV+

jimmiejackson

My reading of my BUPA policy shows that HIV related illness is not covered. The necessary drugs are not that expensive anymore if you must pay out of pocket.

However keep in mind that HIV is now a very manageable disease as long as you stay on the cocktails and live healthy. A person on the HIV cocktail drugs has a viral load called 'undetectable' and poses virtually zero risk to their partners. There is lots of information on MSM/Gay/Bisexual websites in the US. You could eventually go on PReP (google it) aka ' Truvada' which would provide you another very reliable level of protection. I am 57 and, while not HIV positive myself, have many friends living with HIV for over 2 or 3 decades now. This is no longer a death sentence or a long slow road of declining health. Both of you can live long and happy lives together.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP, please don't overreact, even when the diagnosis might have hit you like a hammer.

First of all you'll have to wait for another- hopefully not positive- test result. These tests sometimes show the wrong results.

And even if she's got the virus, no reason to give up. All hospitals these days have the right treatment, the CD 4 count and virus load will be very important to decide if medication is needed, or not.

If she needs medicine, she can get this medication at a government hospital for almost nothing, or using her 30 baht card.

If you've got some questions you don't want to discuss here, please page me.

"Then Public Health Minister, Mongkol Na Songkhla, abolished the 30 baht co-payment and made the UC scheme free." - It was abolished years ago.

And it was reinstated under the Yingluck Government. It is possible not to pay but you have to plead poverty.

My best wishes to the OP and his wife. I hope and know that if you both care for yourseves you will have long and happy lives. Fortunately it is not like the problem that it was some years ago.

Are you sure?

Yingluck vows feasibility study into 30-baht scheme

10 Jan 2012 at 00:00

COPY TEXTSAVE PDFEMAILPRINT TEXT

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is greeted at the Public Health Ministry by consumer rights groups which disagree with a plan to revive the 30-baht universal health scheme, one of Pheu Thai’s flagship election platforms. TAWATCHAI KEMGUMNERD

Yes I am sure....I have thai people who have to pay it. If you are over 70 I believe you do not

Stay strong HIV has come a long long way more people are getting by with this disease through changing there life styles by healthy eating as well as keeping a balanced weight. It would be worth checking if your wife's works policy covers this type of treatment as well as the one you took out last year . Hope all works out for you guys !!!!

My wife received the same diagnosis over 15 years ago and is healthy as ever today. I immediately was tested and was and still am negative. She sees a doctor and receives her medicine every three months at the large government hospital on the corner of Rama IV and Silom, just across from the main entrance to Lumphini Park. Sorry I can't recall the name. She also has an annual full ladies physical at BNH hospital.

I always use a condom and get an HIV blood test at BNH every six months. It's painless to get the check there, they draw the blood, you go have lunch and come back in two hours for the results. The first time you get checked you will have to see the doctor first so he can explain about HIV but after that you just mention to the nurse at the counter that your wife is HIV positive and you are continuing your periodic checks and you don't have to see the doctor again.

Bottom line: as long as you practice safe sex and your wife religiously takes her medicine and does the regular doctor visits, which include blood checks every second or third visit, your life can be as normal as ever.

Also, as mentioned in one of the previous posts, eating healthy, staying in good physical condition and being very careful if she cuts herself or gets any type of infection will all help to to keep you both healthy.

You do not need to practice safe sex all the time, when her Viral Load is at a reasonable level then it is okay, as long as she continues taking her medication.

I was in a ten year long relationship with a person who was HIV+ve. We always practised safesex and I never sero-converted.

The latest research does show that those with undetectable viral loads have much reduced chance of transmitting the virus but they never claim it is completely safe.

It is important to do second round of checks. It is very possible that the first results were from " False Positive Results"

This means there could have been an error in the results. Meaning the test showed positive; but on a recheck; could be negative.

This happens a lot.

Good luck; stay safe.

I have done an extensive amount of reading research on health (through natural means) and only treat myself with natural treatments now ie: I don't take pharmaceuticals.

Check out this website - http://www.greenmedinfo.com/ and decide for yourself whether it is worth trying what is described as a natural 'cure' for HIV (in Black seed extracts).

Hippocrates wrote what I regard to be the most telling and important quote relating to medicine and health ever made:

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - so much truth and commonsense in these 10 words!!

You are not alone. Three of my best friends are HIV+...all more than 15 years.

A few points, not in order:

All of the advice seems good so far.

Good idea to get a second check. There is also a "deep" test (RNA) which the Red Cross near Lumpini (rear of) are giving for free as part of a trial, although it may be only for high-risk patients. However, the previous point about false positives is quite true. I know of someone who obtained different results in two clinics in the same week.

Yes, it's a fact-- BUPA Green, Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Tin will not pay anything out for HIV OR related illness. I used to be with THI (Thai Health), and they were the same. There are one or two overseas insurers with HUGE premiums who will cover HIV illness if you have NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE, but they are rarer than hens' teeth.

The "main" problem with the tablets given out by the public hospitals is that they are generic copies of tablets which were in vogue 5 years ago in the US and UK, and are now made for 3rd world countries under licence. This does not make them less effective. The issue is that IF you can afford to pay, and you are living in the right place (or have access), you may need only 1 tablet a day instead of 3 in the morning and 3 at night (which a Thai friend on the Social here gets for free, 4 or 6 tablets a day is standard issue--normally 3+3). One minor problem is that 6 tablets a day may give slight side effects for about one year (including bad dreams, nausea, occasionally diarrhoea etc). However, there are different combinations of 2 or 3 tablets, and your doctor may even juggle them once or twice until he finds the right combination. Dr Asda can advise. One of my friends has a fantastic lady doctor at BNH who is able to prescribe the "latest"drugs, but you will pay her and then pay the pharmacy's price. Another friend gets round this by seeing her only once a year (and getting blood tests at the Red Cross) and THEN buying the new drugs at the row of (mainly chinese) pharmacies opposite Chulalongkorn. The cost is about 2-3,000b for a month of newer brand tablets (I also know someone who flies in from China especially to buy the newer brands from those pharmacies). I think someone above has already mentioned the combo costing 3,000b a month.

However, my friend who takes the standard social security regime DID settle down after having days of nausea for the first year or so. It varies person to person.

Good diet, fresh food, no smoking and NO STRESS (important!) all help the T Cell and Viral Load levels. Your wife needs to avoid minor infections like colds and flu, because her body will not be able to fight them at 100% for a while. Some people take multivitamins or zinc or other things to boost the immune system.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of quackery. In some African countries, you can "cure'' HIV by sleeping with a teenage girl (virgin). There are witch doctors and even politicians who prescribe dettol, soap, herbs, snake blood etc etc. This is all nonsense. Even the latest "western" treatments cannot completely cure the retrovirus HIV because it is so clever that it mutates and changes itself! Trying to cure it is like throwing a dart at a mosquito. But then, there is no cure for the common cold either.

Ramathibodi is not my "own" SS hospital, but I have been for tours, clinical meetings and job interviews there; it has an excellent reputation.

I know quite a lot about this topic. In London during the 80s, some friends and lovers were dying within 6 weeks. The doctors didn't really know exactly what to do, and the drugs, if available, were not "refined", or were much cruder with horrible side-effects. Now, most people live a normal life. One friend of mine aged 61 is 10 times fitter than I am. I'm not HIV, but he has been for 18 years.

Finally, I am so happy that the normal shedloads of bigots have not piped up. Your wife is a decent lady who has suffered a misfortune. Globally, far more heterosexual people than gay people are affected by this problem. It is not a "gay plague" at all. And, thankfully, people who are affected can now live well into their 80s, just like everyone else.

Eddy

Don't worry too much about this. From what I am told as a Thai she will be able to get medication at a Government hospital at minimum cost , or at most private hospitals. I am told that current medication is so effective as to reduce the viral load to an undetectable level. As long as your wife keeps taking the medication you should both be able to lead a perfectly normal life. Don't listen to lurid stories or opinions from the ignorant and uninformed. Good luck to you both. ATB.

There is no need to worry about false positive and seeking an RNA test as they will do a Viral Load anyhow, which measures the amount of actual virus in the blood.

they will also have done a confirmatory test before telling her she was positive.

And most people do just fine on the government meds.

For the OP their is also a PREP option. I understand you have not contracted HIV thusfar but you can take measures to protect your self as well.

What is the prep?
Pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, is a way for people who do not have HIV but who are at substantial risk of getting it to prevent HIV infection by taking a pill every day. The pill (brand name Truvada) contains two medicines (tenofovir and emtricitabine) that are used in combination with other medicines to treat HIV.

For the OP their is also a PREP option. I understand you have not contracted HIV thusfar but you can take measures to protect your self as well.

What is the prep?
Pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, is a way for people who do not have HIV but who are at substantial risk of getting it to prevent HIV infection by taking a pill every day. The pill (brand name Truvada) contains two medicines (tenofovir and emtricitabine) that are used in combination with other medicines to treat HIV.

Truvada is okay but can affect other organs in the body.

What is the prep?

I doubt that is generally recommended for hetero males concerned about infection from females. But yes it's an option. People taking it are still advised to practice safe sex but obviously many don't as it is very effective.

A friend of mine told me a doctor told him it is almost 100 percent effective but they don't publicize that for fear people will stop doing safe sex. And you can get other STDs from unprotected sex.

You are not alone. Three of my best friends are HIV+...all more than 15 years.

A few points, not in order:

All of the advice seems good so far.

Good idea to get a second check. There is also a "deep" test (RNA) which the Red Cross near Lumpini (rear of) are giving for free as part of a trial, although it may be only for high-risk patients. However, the previous point about false positives is quite true. I know of someone who obtained different results in two clinics in the same week.

Yes, it's a fact-- BUPA Green, Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Tin will not pay anything out for HIV OR related illness. I used to be with THI (Thai Health), and they were the same. There are one or two overseas insurers with HUGE premiums who will cover HIV illness if you have NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE, but they are rarer than hens' teeth.

The "main" problem with the tablets given out by the public hospitals is that they are generic copies of tablets which were in vogue 5 years ago in the US and UK, and are now made for 3rd world countries under licence. This does not make them less effective. The issue is that IF you can afford to pay, and you are living in the right place (or have access), you may need only 1 tablet a day instead of 3 in the morning and 3 at night (which a Thai friend on the Social here gets for free, 4 or 6 tablets a day is standard issue--normally 3+3). One minor problem is that 6 tablets a day may give slight side effects for about one year (including bad dreams, nausea, occasionally diarrhoea etc). However, there are different combinations of 2 or 3 tablets, and your doctor may even juggle them once or twice until he finds the right combination. Dr Asda can advise. One of my friends has a fantastic lady doctor at BNH who is able to prescribe the "latest"drugs, but you will pay her and then pay the pharmacy's price. Another friend gets round this by seeing her only once a year (and getting blood tests at the Red Cross) and THEN buying the new drugs at the row of (mainly chinese) pharmacies opposite Chulalongkorn. The cost is about 2-3,000b for a month of newer brand tablets (I also know someone who flies in from China especially to buy the newer brands from those pharmacies). I think someone above has already mentioned the combo costing 3,000b a month.

However, my friend who takes the standard social security regime DID settle down after having days of nausea for the first year or so. It varies person to person.

Good diet, fresh food, no smoking and NO STRESS (important!) all help the T Cell and Viral Load levels. Your wife needs to avoid minor infections like colds and flu, because her body will not be able to fight them at 100% for a while. Some people take multivitamins or zinc or other things to boost the immune system.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of quackery. In some African countries, you can "cure'' HIV by sleeping with a teenage girl (virgin). There are witch doctors and even politicians who prescribe dettol, soap, herbs, snake blood etc etc. This is all nonsense. Even the latest "western" treatments cannot completely cure the retrovirus HIV because it is so clever that it mutates and changes itself! Trying to cure it is like throwing a dart at a mosquito. But then, there is no cure for the common cold either.

Ramathibodi is not my "own" SS hospital, but I have been for tours, clinical meetings and job interviews there; it has an excellent reputation.

I know quite a lot about this topic. In London during the 80s, some friends and lovers were dying within 6 weeks. The doctors didn't really know exactly what to do, and the drugs, if available, were not "refined", or were much cruder with horrible side-effects. Now, most people live a normal life. One friend of mine aged 61 is 10 times fitter than I am. I'm not HIV, but he has been for 18 years.

Finally, I am so happy that the normal shedloads of bigots have not piped up. Your wife is a decent lady who has suffered a misfortune. Globally, far more heterosexual people than gay people are affected by this problem. It is not a "gay plague" at all. And, thankfully, people who are affected can now live well into their 80s, just like everyone else.

Eddy

These been a few posts like this, and I appreciate all. Thanks for taking the time.

I think the plan right now is to get the blood results back and see what the Red Cross say about them, then take the results to her SS registered hospital and see what treatment plan they advise to set her up with. I will report back with that info and more than likely will go to see Dr Asda to get his take on it. If I need to pay out of pocket for better pills with minimal side effects then that's an option. I'd take less side effects over free if within my means.

Ignore the alternate medicine hooey but I would suggest eat healthy and avoid drinking much booze. Take the meds.

I think that is up to him to decide, don't you!!

He has shown that he has an open mind and I wouldn't mind betting that once he sees the light, it won't be the 'meds' he chooses.

You can keep on taking your meds if you like, but don't cast disparaging words on something you are completely ignorant of.

I am not advising him to choose one over the other and you should do the same and let him come to his own decision once he has read about what each has to offer.

I have an inspiring story for the OP.

A good friend of mine found his partner was HIV+ and she had a CD4 count of 11. I saw the medical report.

That was three years ago now and she is going fine.

Best and cheapest place to get the meds is in the govt Hospital in Bangkok. You have to wait as it is very busy but I think it is around 2k or less a month for her meds.

There is no reason to use alternative therapies or anything as the drugs work really well.

Of course you should try and live a healthy lifestyle not do drugs or drink too much etc

BTW he was HIV negative.

I know of three people personally with HIV+ partners in Patts but the guy never caught it.

Total admiration for this guy Jimmie who declares;-

She's always been a rock for me when I've needed one and I fully intend to be one for her.

We're in this together and I'm OK with that.

She isn't "dirty" or "damaged", she's just the woman I love who's found out some hard news and needs love and support to know she's just as beautiful, wonderful and worthy of my love as she was the day before we found out.

Good luck to you both

Jimmie, what I write now is important and you should read this very carefully despite the fact that there will be uncounted TV members now branding me as conspiracy theorist, whatever, but I don't care as your wife's life (and yours) is at stake.

I keep it short and I also will not react or reply to any stupid comments from other forum members since a discussion about this with an ignorant mainstream user is like trying to discuss quantum physics with a chimp. Your wife should refuse any medication offered, do sports, eat and live healthy and perhaps do yoga and meditation and latest after 3 months she gonna be diagnosed negative (at another hospital - don't go to local cheap ones, go to Bangkok Hospital or any other international one).

In fact it is even possible that your wife goes to another (and perhaps better and more expensive) hospital tomorrow and is diagnosed negative!

Check the following links and google more to find out about the AIDS Scam that has killed millions of people in the past. If then you still won't believe what you have just read, google "AZT aids treatment, aids hoax" etc... Don't let the pharma mafia kill your wife!!!!

http://www.pravdareport.com/health/16-05-2012/121133-aids_fraud-0/

http://topinfopost.com/2014/04/15/the-great-hiv-is-a-hoax

http://www.examiner.com/article/hiv-aids-the-biggest-lie-the-cdc-ever-told

Keep an open mind and READ!!!!! It is important that people think outside the box, refuse mainstream brainwash and wake up!!!!!

I'm no stranger to keeping an open mind about things. I will read your links and thank you for the info.

Please don't. This is fringe stuff that can only be believed by people who have no scientific education, and usually have some psychological difficulties in coping with reality.

At best it will waste your time and at worst it will lead you into making decisions that could be harmful to your wife's health.

You can't have an open mind about everything: although this sounds like a virtue, it isn't. Nonsense needs to be treated like nonsense and ignored.

With this post - you have proved to me that you have 'the most closed mind' of anybody I know!!

"You can't have an open mind about everything" rolleyes.gif.

A post with dangerous misinformation and posts quoting it have been removed. Please note Health Forum specific rules. Any further of this sort may lead to loss of posting privileges. Lives are at stake here and the nonsense being spouted has literally killed tens of thousands of people.

I wish the OP all the best on the long road ahead, im sure it want be easy.

To be honest I probably had unprotected sex with at least 700-1000 ladies both in western and Asian countries, without catching anything.

Life is like that, but the new medicine available should help your other half lead a full life.

Chancer and irresponsible with other peoples lives.

Here are the costs from the Red Cross just for info, was about 3 years ago

Viread (original) 30 tablets 300mg x 2 = 2700 baht

Viread (generic) 30 tablets 300mg x 2 = 1620 baht
Lamicudine 60 tablets 150mg x 4 = 600 baht
Stocrin 30 tablets 600mg x 4 = 1620 baht
Prices might have changed since then, but it gives everyone an example of costs if you have to pay for them.
I changed later to the following, this is the cost per month again from the Red Cross
For Kivexa 3150 baht , and Stocirn 810 Baht per one month (i actually bought 12 months supply).

DELETED

Nowerdays HIV tests are nearly 100 % diagnostic. If you are HIV positive that does not mean that you have any symptoms. Many people are HIV poistive for 5 to 10 years without any symptoms. That is one of the problems with HIV because these people are sick and can infect others but they don't know about it.

Whereas HIV antibody test are being used for Diagnosis, they should not be. They are a Screening test. They are being used as Diagnosis as there is no "Gold Standard" to diagnose HIIV. Thhat is no independent method to check and to diagnose HIV infection.

Moreover the Positive predictive value ( probability of being HIV+ when you test + ) ( PPV ) When the HIV prevalence rate is 0.1% (That is one person in 1000 are said to have the HIV virus. ) Which is standard through most of the world then the PPV is 20%

Which means that the test will be wrong 80% 0f the time

In the case of Thailand the the HIV prevalence rate is said to be 1%. In which case the PPV is 72% or wrong 30% of the time

How the prevalence rate is obtained is somewhat dubious but that is another topic

http://uhavax.hartford.edu/bugl/treat.htm

As to transmissiblity the Padian Study of 175 HIV-discordant couples [one partner tests positive, one negative] showed Zero transmission over a 10 year period

http://reducetheburden.org/the-padian-study-sex-is-not-the-problem/

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/146/4/350.full.pdf

Also a more recent Australian-based study of gay male couples of opposite HIV status came up with the same result: - that is Zero transmission

http://www.aidsmap.com/No-HIV-transmissions-from-HIV-positive-partner-seen-in-Australian-gay-couples-study/page/2949294/

DELETED

Nowerdays HIV tests are nearly 100 % diagnostic. If you are HIV positive that does not mean that you have any symptoms. Many people are HIV poistive for 5 to 10 years without any symptoms. That is one of the problems with HIV because these people are sick and can infect others but they don't know about it.

Whereas HIV antibody test are being used for Diagnosis, they should not be. They are a Screening test. They are being used as Diagnosis as there is no "Gold Standard" to diagnose HIIV. Thhat is no independent method to check and to diagnose HIV infection.

Moreover the Positive predictive value ( probability of being HIV+ when you test + ) ( PPV ) When the HIV prevalence rate is 0.1% (That is one person in 1000 are said to have the HIV virus. ) Which is standard through most of the world then the PPV is 20%

In the case of Thailand the the HIV prevalence rate is said to be 1%. In which case the PPV is 72% or wrong 30% of the time

How the prevalence rate is obtained is somewhat dubious but that is another topic

As to transmissiblity the Padian Study of 175 HIV-discordant couples [one partner tests positive, one negative] showed Zero transmission over a 10 year period

Also a more recent Australian-based study of gay male couples of opposite HIV status came up with the same result: - that is Zero transmission

http://www.aidsmap.com/No-HIV-transmissions-from-HIV-positive-partner-seen-in-Australian-gay-couples-study/page/2949294/

The viral load test will confirm that she is definitely HIV+ one way or another for 100% certainty, or not?

The Swiss Cohort Study showed that the risk of sexual transmission is insignificant, while the side effects of medication are serious. A 45% rate of clinically serious side effects.

'The use of antiretroviral drugs has been associated with several toxicities that limit their success. Some acute and chronic toxicities associated with these drugs include hypersensitivity reactions, neurotoxicity, nephropathy, liver damage, and the appearance of body fat redistribution syndrome and the different metabolic alterations that accompany it.' http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20216907

Personally, I would not touch the meds in the absence of symptoms. Boost your immune system in healthy ways.

The Swiss Cohort Study showed that the risk of sexual transmission is insignificant, while the side effects of medication are serious. A 45% rate of clinically serious side effects.

'The use of antiretroviral drugs has been associated with several toxicities that limit their success. Some acute and chronic toxicities associated with these drugs include hypersensitivity reactions, neurotoxicity, nephropathy, liver damage, and the appearance of body fat redistribution syndrome and the different metabolic alterations that accompany it.' http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20216907

Personally, I would not touch the meds in the absence of symptoms. Boost your immune system in healthy ways.

That is why in Europe you must see the doctor every 3 months, first a blood test is done, a week later the results are reviewed with the doctor then a prescription given.

DELETED

The viral load test will confirm that she is definitely HIV+ one way or another for 100% certainty, or not?

Yes it will.

You have to be a bit cautious about who to trust and who not to when you post on this forum. The post you are paying attention to here is very misleading. There is an objective and completely reliable way of detecting HIV infection and this is a PCR revealing the presence of viral RNA in cells.

Nowadays a positive antibody screening test is always followed up by a second antibody test to confirm any positive result, and in the case of two consecutive tests the positive predictive value, how likely it is to be correct, is around 98 to 99%.

It's going to be confusing and counterproductive for you to pay attention to people posting on here who have no medical expertise and are really just using your problem as an opportunity to push their favourite non-science based hobby horse. There are an awful lot of people like that on this forum, unfortunately, and they don't seem to have much of a conscience.

You can trust Sheryl, and science based medicine websites (these will never be ones with the name of an individual doctor followed by .com!)

The Mayo clinic is a very useful medical website, for example, and for general HIV+ information the Ternce Higgins Trust website in the UK is a good start - http://www.tht.org.uk

for those foreigners who are affected with HIV there is a group who meet in the Red Cross center if memory serves me right. For Thais am sure there is also a group thing in the Red Cross, but because most people are scared to admit they have the disease it might not be visited by many people.

Archived