Wife diagnosed as HIV+

jimmiejackson

Listen carefully

Your wife can live a normal life but she must be on the best antiviral which is 2 times a day 3 to 4 different tablets. But these meds are expensive here. There not subsidized 

This is the problem and when here viral load is near 0. It's near impossible to pass it on even through direct blood contact

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Media1 said:

Listen carefully

Your wife can live a normal life but she must be on the best antiviral which is 2 times a day 3 to 4 different tablets. But these meds are expensive here. There not subsidized 

This is the problem and when here viral load is near 0. It's near impossible to pass it on even through direct blood contact

There is a one pill once a day regimen available nowadays in Thailand, also under 30 thb scheme or work related social security.
If a patient has to pay out of pocket the most simple treatment is about 500 thb a month, the one day one paill a bit more expensive.
Anonymous Clinic at Red Cross Bangkok can provide list of regimen available in Thailand.
Things have changed.

I am somewhat disconcerted by the posts from people saying "Don't take any medicine". I really think that is profoundly stupid and irresponsible advice, and should all be removed from the thread.
The record shows that many people are living active fulfilling lives today because of those dreaded medicines, and not because of some woo woo BS.
If you want to avoid the medicine and freaking DIE, then that is your choice. Do NOT try to take others with you because of some paranoid delusion about "big pharma" conspiracies, etc. I assure you that you do not have the appeal of dumb ass Jenny McCarthy.
Big thumbs up to healthy diet advocates. Something many doctors still do not seem to fully appreciate the value of.

Is it true that if your wife is HIV n there is a chance that u might not get infected if u have sex with your wife.i have a friend whose wife is HIV n she told my friend that the doctor told her that there r people who will not get infected even the wife is HIV positive. His wife was diagnosed with him 2 yrs ago n my friend don seem to have any hiv symptoms.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, not all partners get infected but some do. Once the infected spouse has been on medication for awhile and their viral load is undetectable, which often occurs within 6 months of treatment, the risk of infection becomes extremely low. But condoms should be used at first until blood tests show that viral suppression has occurred.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My understanding is that once the viral load is below detectable levels (which is known as positive-undetectable) there has never been a verified case of a partner becoming infected. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be cautious obviously, as the viral load could increase and you're unlikely to know that immediately.

40 minutes ago, jimmiejackson said:

My understanding is that once the viral load is below detectable levels (which is known as positive-undetectable) there has never been a verified case of a partner becoming infected. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be cautious obviously, as the viral load could increase and you're unlikely to know that immediately.

This is correct.

No clinician will want to be responsible for advising someone not to use condoms in that situation but it is true that the risks of infection are very, very low and many couples make that decision on their own (which is where the data comes from - for ethical reasons can't to a clinical trial).

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2016 at 3:38 PM, Kabula said:

Check the exclusions in your policy as most major medical and travel Insurance policies currently exclude insurance coverage for HIV. I'm no longer a fan of Bumrungrad Hospital after many years living here. Their prices now are unaffordable for most. The last time I went there I asked for a package annual health checkup. The doctor charged me individually for each test which was much more expensive. I even had a nurse get me the package brochure and I shook it in his face. He did nothing. I filed a fraud complaint with the administration and after a two week investigation they ruled in my favor and returned all my money with an apology. Another time I inquired about a colonoscopy and they insisted that I spend the night for the prep which in my opinion is ludicrous and another way to over bill. I would contact several hospitals and get Doctor recommendations and prices. I would also research what health foods and herbs to consume to boost the immune system. The Insurance company may lull you on and not deny the claim immediately if there is no coverage, but reserve their right to deny in the future after their investigation. This is common in emergencies and after policy holders run up very large bills and get treatment, they deny the claim. For this reason over the years hospitals have taken it on the chin and were forced to double their prices. Best of luck to you both.

rumour has it docs are pressured to sell and/or do things that increase revenue.

admitted for colonoscopy prep; lol

On 9/4/2018 at 11:09 AM, jimmiejackson said:

Wondering how you and your wife are doing now? Hopefully all ok and back to normal

Firstly OP, you want to support your wife through this, which is great.

My sister in law has HIV and gets her meds through her local hospital. She is a champ and I love her dearly.

One thing to consider is how she broaches this with her family and how they treat her. From my experience the family members are afraid of catching the virus, hence go overboard in trying to protect themselves i.e. segregating ablutions and eating utensils ect. So learn about the risks of spreading the virus and educate the family. 

I have no fears around my SIL and believe normal interractions cause minimal risk.

Your wife will need support as she will fear the reaction of others if they find out she is HIV positive.

Good life to you both.

• 2 months later...

Just checked in after a few months absence and pleased to see supportive messages asking for updates!

On 11/21/2018 at 5:02 AM, Aussieroaming said:

Firstly OP, you want to support your wife through this, which is great.

My sister in law has HIV and gets her meds through her local hospital. She is a champ and I love her dearly.

One thing to consider is how she broaches this with her family and how they treat her. From my experience the family members are afraid of catching the virus, hence go overboard in trying to protect themselves i.e. segregating ablutions and eating utensils ect. So learn about the risks of spreading the virus and educate the family. 

I have no fears around my SIL and believe normal interractions cause minimal risk.

Your wife will need support as she will fear the reaction of others if they find out she is HIV positive.

Good life to you both.

Thanks for checking in and glad to hear your SIL is doing well!

In our personal situation, she hasn't told her family, nobody knows except me and her Doctor. We don't see the point in telling people, she's positive-undetectable and under continuous treatment. The only benefit of telling people at this point would be to invite ignorance and prejudice and honestly, what's the benefit of that? Of course some would be understanding and supportive but again, what's the point? She already has all the support she needs in me and the Doctors. She just wants to live as normal a life as possible, either prejudice or pity doesn't help that goal. I'm sure that's not the way for everyone but that's the way she wants it and I understand it.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:15 PM, Fairynuff said:

Wondering how you and your wife are doing now? Hopefully all ok and back to normal

Everything is as normal as it always way. It definitely caused something of a disruption for a month or two but since then, it just isn't a factor. Neither of us think about it much to be honest. For anyone that's reading this and panicking in their own situation - don't let it get you down! It's just something that happens, just deal with it and move on. Get good treatment, get second opinions to make sure everything is the way it should be, and then get on with life. We are so blessed it's as treatable as it is.

Thanks again for all the support.

18 minutes ago, jimmiejackson said:

In our personal situation, she hasn't told her family, nobody knows except me and her Doctor. We don't see the point in telling people, she's positive-undetectable and under continuous treatment. The only benefit of telling people at this point would be to invite ignorance and prejudice and honestly, what's the benefit of that?

IMO a wise move Jimmie and it sounds like you are a very level-headed and caring man.......and I admire the support you are giving your wife. Top man.

3 hours ago, jimmiejackson said:

Just checked in after a few months absence and pleased to see supportive messages asking for updates!

In our personal situation, she hasn't told her family, nobody knows except me and her Doctor. We don't see the point in telling people, she's positive-undetectable and under continuous treatment. The only benefit of telling people at this point would be to invite ignorance and prejudice and honestly, what's the benefit of that? Of course some would be understanding and supportive but again, what's the point? She already has all the support she needs in me and the Doctors. She just wants to live as normal a life as possible, either prejudice or pity doesn't help that goal. I'm sure that's not the way for everyone but that's the way she wants it and I understand it.

Everything is as normal as it always way. It definitely caused something of a disruption for a month or two but since then, it just isn't a factor. Neither of us think about it much to be honest. For anyone that's reading this and panicking in their own situation - don't let it get you down! It's just something that happens, just deal with it and move on. Get good treatment, get second opinions to make sure everything is the way it should be, and then get on with life. We are so blessed it's as treatable as it is.

She may have HIV - hopefully, at zero viral load level now with meds and it will stay that way - but your wife's still one helluva luck lady to have a guy like you by her side.

You're a class act by my book, Jimmie. Good luck to you both.

7 hours ago, jimmiejackson said:

Great to hear your update Jimmie. Wishing you both a continued healthy life together 

Some fantastic info in this thread and refreshing to see all the positivity.

2 people I’m close to, SIL and best mates wife have been infected fir 15/16 years, both live totally normal lives.

As mentioned here numerous times though, they both live clean lifestyles and never miss their meds, 1 pill a day.

Good luck, your wife is a very lucky lady...you deserve the utmost respect for the way you’re handling this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived