Selling motorcycle need help with green book details

Samurai64

I originally had the motorcycle in my name. Then I transferred it to my friends name but they never paid me. I still have the motorcycle but they will not transfer it back and are trying to steal it from. Can I sell the motorcycle with out the green book to someone else? Any suggestions?

What friends did you have wink.png

In a country with rule of law you could try your luck with a criminal complaint about fraud.

But here?

Any hints how to handle this "extrajudicial" would not last in the forum.

Find a place to hide the bike and test your basis for negotiation?

You can't sell legally.

Hard learned lesson.

What kind of bike and whats its value?...I know of people who have bikes with books not in there name and they keep them current and drive them. Sounds like the friend thinks u owe him for somerhing or he is a total tool.

how come to transfer the ownership without getting the price of the motorbike?

sounds mysterious,

However, let;s suppose you are innocent and made the deal on honesty agreement, legally it's not yours,

the only chance is to sell it as spare parts to some garages, but I guess still to be illegal deal in case he report this to police you may face some prosecutions, otherwise pay the price and learn the hard lesson.

Ok, on the basis that you already made one mistake you now want some damage limitation.

Immediately move the motorbike to another location, somewhere that the "friend" would not look.

A motorcycle with no green book still has a value and can be sold without the green book, even if its sold for parts. But this is different, it has a green book that is in someone else's name and apparently has disputed ownership.

Try and reason with your friend, did they change their mind ? Did you make some sort of promise and go back on what you offered ? I assume you offered some kind of payment plan, did the friend already make a deposit ?

Tecnologybytes- thanks for the sound advice

The bike was originally in my name on the green book. My ex-girlfriend (girlfriend at the time) was suppose to pay me in parts like a payment plan. So I signed it over to her using it when I came back under agreement the bike was still mine until she had paid me. So far she has not made a single payment. I was stupid to have signed the bike over before it was paid for but I thought I could trust her. Upon first breaking up she said she would have the bike put back in my name. Now she threatens with calling the police. Seeing how she owes me other money and has not made one payment on the bike I need to sell it or just keep it.

Sounds like you should go to the police and ask them before your ex gets there first.

I have seen a couple of scenarios like this, and the other party just pays the police a percentage to enforce the law on their side.

Your Ex will pay, a couple or few thousand baht, tell a story to the police, police come see you - unlikely they would arrest you for theft ( the fact is, the bike is hers, her name is on the book ) but no questions asked, they would ask you for the key and take the bike. She gets a bike for a few 000 and the policeman gets his cut.

Maybe if you visit the cop shop first and explain the story, they will call her in and mediate. IME, Thais are very scared of the police, if they get summoned to the station they get worried and start to behave, maybe she will admit to non-payment, then sign the back of the book and a copy of her ID and the bike is yours again.

It all depends upon who you encounter at the cop shop, wether they want to help and if they can see a situation where they can make a few thousand. I would go in the evening when they parasites aren't too busy, they will call her and ask her to come in for a chat.

But at the end of the day we are talking about a scooter here, right ? A second hand scooter as it now is .. Write it off, lesson learnt and move on.

In this case it comes down to how pissed you are at her. If you are really pissed then you go to the police, and with a bit of grease they will get the bike back for you. But you'll have to invest in that. If you know her family reasonably well, you could make a stink about her with them too. Peer pressure works sometimes wonders.

You have to understand that rule of law isn't really the norm in Thailand, but there are other ways. Sometimes you just have to be a bit creative. Oh and make sure she doesn't know any scary folks or it can backfire strongly :)

Or if you are not pissed and can swallow the loss, write it off. In many cases this could be the wiser choice. Just don't repeat the same mistake.

Hi Samurai64, I am glad you found my earlier advice to be useful.

Because you volunterialy signed the bike over to your girlfriend the police will not or cannot really get involved, its no longer your bike and your girlfriend owes you money which nobody can realistically reinforce.

If you went to the police then there are 3 possible outcomes in my opinion.

1, They laugh and tell you that you can't do anything.

2, They force you to hand over the bike to your girlfriend as she is now the legal owner.

3. They seize the bike and neither of you get it.

I cannot see any outcome in which the police can do any other than one of those three. Legally your ex is the one who the police will back as she is the legal owner of the bike, if she wanted too be nasty she could accuse you of stealing her bike and then it would get nasty.

If you can get your ex girlfriend into a good mood then all you need is a copy of her ID card, copy of her family book and the green book along with a couple of signatures and you can transfer the bike without her needing to go to the vehicle office.

If the cost of finding out that your girlfriend was not honest was a motorbike and a little money then be grateful that it did not take you longer to learn.. I do not know what sort of bike it is or the perceived value but lots of people make much bigger mistakes. Like house and car.

Good luck with it all and I hope you find a more honest girlfriend, remember most girlfriends see loans as gifts. Don't lose heart though, there are lots of decent girls out there.

Archived