What's up with the clubs?

Are you certain it's for now? Mafia or night life? how long will for now last? Oh my god, that's very, very frustrating. No parties anymore in the island made for parties.

Like in Chiang Mai where the night life is dead. 9 pm - go to bed.

Take 2 tablets, you will feel better in the morning. Trust me I'm a doctor.smile.png

Are you certain it's for now? Mafia or night life? how long will for now last? Oh my god, that's very, very frustrating. No parties anymore in the island made for parties.

Why would you go to bed at 9pm in Chiang Mai when the bars are open until Midnight?

Why would you go to bed at 9pm in Chiang Mai when the bars are open until Midnight?

Ohhh, there're plenty of clubs. Everywhere! How many? I think only 1. Yeeehhhhh!!!! Not to mention, it doesn't work every night.

Island made for parties?

Who, exactly, created Samui for parties? You?

Islands that are just perfect for parties are 500 miles away in the South China Sea, where zombies and druggies can paint themselves fluorescent and thump out out the same moronic bass line all night long until their eardrums fail and their intestines vibrate and rupture to their hearts content.

AND I DON'T HAVE TO TRY AND SLEEP WHILE I HAVE TO SUFFER THIS THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP CRAP RIGHT THROUGH UNTIL DAWN.

Just saying.

Man, you can try to rent a room right in Green Mango and then complain that you're suffering from noise. Why on Earth are you renting a room next to a club or a place where they have loud music playing every night?

You know that you can hear the Ark Bar in Chaweng noi, 4km away.

You don't have to rent a room next to Green Mango to be sleepless at night in Chaweng. Depending on a few factors like wind direction the thumping bass from clubs like Green Mango, Sound Pub and Ark Bar can be heard hundreds of metres away or as Poor Sucker says, kilometres away.

But the OP does not have to worry too much. As soon as the military - or the Bangkok police or whoever are bringing a bit of law and order to Chaweng Beach at the moment - leave the island, the local BIB will be back in charge and you will again be able to down your buckets, pop your pills and listen to the boom-boom noise (some call it music, I don't) until sunrise.

We cannot let a minor inconvenience like a few hundred people or more - residents and tourists alike - losing sleep at night stop the cash flow. Those buggers can move somewhere else if they don't like it as it is, can't they?

Man, you can try to rent a room right in Green Mango and then complain that you're suffering from noise. Why on Earth are you renting a room next to a club or a place where they have loud music playing every night?

Dumb as a bag of rocks.

A room in Soi Green Mango?

I AM 5 KILOMETRES AWAY FROM THE NEAREST PARTY SITE.

I have to use earplugs to get to **$$ing sleep.Get yourself off into the South China Sea.

Even better, I hear there are some really cheap party pads going in Chernobyl nowadays . . . . no need to waste money on glow-sticks and fluorescent body paint . ;-)

Sometimes someone important comes to the island, and then the nightlife stops early for a night, a few nights or a weeks time – sometimes it comes slowly back into shape with prolonged opening hours till 3.00 and 3.30 and 4.00 am etc.

If something happens, police can decide to close all (Chaweng) venues down for that night – that can just be something happening in the soi (alley/street) and not inside a club – OP you post the 14th, that mean closing early Saturday 13th night; I think open till late last Valentines night Sunday 14th...?

smile.png

Perhaps the OP should go to Haad Rin on KP....

Why should people around Chawang and within ear shot have to endure pounding music all night long?

Because the "pounding music all night long" was there before the foreign people moved in – we just celebrated Raggae Pub's 28th anniversary last Friday (12th), Green Mango is the younger kid at only 27.

Organised Full Moon Parties at Sunrise Beach, Haad Rin – which probably should be renamed "Moonrise Beach" – only began about same time; the official story says 1985, but according to those who were party guests then, there were no organized parties, just a few hippies on a deserted beach making bonfires and plying guitars. The "true" story has recently been told by one who was there when it all began. Samui was the backpacker target and the hippies party place, the closest to a kind of club was in Lamai at that time. Only three-four hundred people lived at KP, but it became an event to hire a long tail boat departing from Nathon and sail over to the empty jungle beach – there was no other way to get there than walk by cost-line during low tide or hiking over the mountains – and see the full moon rise, make a bonfire and play guitar and sing and... whistling.gif

Source:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/882318-full-moon-party-on-koh-phangan-ends-with-disgusting-scenes/page-8#entry10274912

PS: Wish I'd been around at that time...rolleyes.gif

QUESTION: "Why should people around Chaweng and within earshot have to endure pounding music all night long?"

ANSWER: "Because the "pounding music all night long" was there before the foreign people moved in"

That is an infantile and irrational response to justify the unregulated night-time sound pollution which regularly disturbs hundreds of residents - those same "foreign people" who have invested enormous sums of money into Samui and brought it the prosperity it has today.

It's the same (non) reasoning as saying "Arapaho Indians should still have the right to hunt buffalo in New York because they were there 300 years before the white man came."

It is no longer 1980, and Samui is no longer the same hippie island that it was then.

Things have changed a lot in the last 40 years.

Why should people around Chawang and within ear shot have to endure pounding music all night long?

Because the "pounding music all night long" was there before the foreign people moved in – we just celebrated Raggae Pub's 28th anniversary last Friday (12th), Green Mango is the younger kid at only 27.

Organised Full Moon Parties at Sunrise Beach, Haad Rin – which probably should be renamed "Moonrise Beach" – only began about same time; the official story says 1985, but according to those who were party guests then, there were no organized parties, just a few hippies on a deserted beach making bonfires and plying guitars. The "true" story has recently been told by one who was there when it all began. Samui was the backpacker target and the hippies party place, the closest to a kind of club was in Lamai at that time. Only three-four hundred people lived at KP, but it became an event to hire a long tail boat departing from Nathon and sail over to the empty jungle beach – there was no other way to get there than walk by cost-line during low tide or hiking over the mountains – and see the full moon rise, make a bonfire and play guitar and sing and... whistling.gif

Source:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/882318-full-moon-party-on-koh-phangan-ends-with-disgusting-scenes/page-8#entry10274912

The first Full Moon parties began on Koh Som, the small island off Ban Rak. They lasted for over a year when someone recalled a visiting Royal sometime in the past declared the island should be used by the locals for recreation only and that is why there are no resorts there either.

Because the "pounding music all night long" was there before the foreign people moved in

No it was music back then, now it's just base going THUMB-THUMB and someone 'singing' Ni**er, mothefukerr over and over again.

Nah, a lot of the new music today is actually very good – and so are the lyrics – and many of the good-old-tunes are remixed in a way, so the youngsters thinks they're brand new...whistling.gif

Noted at Raggae's birthday party last Friday, that the Thai (heavy) rock-band played old Beatles stuff and even older rock'n'roll from late 50'ies and early 60'ies – the youngsters were crazy about it, and some old folks (gray haired and probably retired) suddenly found their way to the dance floor and moved around just like in good old time...biggrin.png

By the way, back in the sixties – and probably even before – the bass was going Thumb-thumb, but I'm not sure the ***-words were yet invented...

QUESTION: "Why should people around Chaweng and within earshot have to endure pounding music all night long?"

ANSWER: "Because the "pounding music all night long" was there before the foreign people moved in"

That is an infantile and irrational response to justify the unregulated night-time sound pollution which regularly disturbs hundreds of residents - those same "foreign people" who have invested enormous sums of money into Samui and brought it the prosperity it has today.

It's the same (non) reasoning as saying "Arapaho Indians should still have the right to hunt buffalo in New York because they were there 300 years before the white man came."

It is no longer 1980, and Samui is no longer the same hippie island that it was then.

Things have changed a lot in the last 40 years.

Nah, don't agree – and the buffalos in NY is in my opinion a bad comparison, because there are no more buffaloes, whilst the big business and money in Chaweng still is party-party – and if you don't like noise from party or airplanes, don't invest near an airport or club; Chaweng is both. I think Samui's prosperity mainly comes from tourism, including dominant party-tourism...

But I agree that old-fashioned hippie-time-island has come to an end – today's "backpackers" are much more hi-so, and want luxury, trendy cafés, and brand name products...

Best not to complain too much about those young people enjoying themselves.

From a ThaiVisa new report:

Party ‘Mafia’ Blamed for Gunplay on ‘Full Moon’ Party Island
SURAT THANI — A dispute over all-night partying led to recent gunfire which hit tourists’ rooms on the southern island of Koh Phangan, police said today.

Five gunshots fired Tuesday at the Palita Lodge on Haad Rin Nok, the site of the island’s infamous “Full Moon Party,” are thought by police to be retaliation over the bungalow owner’s complaints about a nearby bar’s noisy late night parties.

No, unless you are suicidal, you should not complain too much about late thump thump noise in the wee hours in Chaweng. Nobody in their right mind who has lived here for a period of time would even think about it. The most "friendly" advice would probably be move if you do not like it here. If you insist on pursuing the matter you could easily end up with serious health issues or even pre-mature death. A death that very likely would be reported as an accident. Complaining to the BIB would be pointless, they will be loyal to their paymasters.

Chaweng is both an entertainment area and a residential area. We cannot all live in Banrak or Maenam. People live in Chaweng for different reasons. Some have invested in businsses here and a lot of people work here. There are loads of staff rooms where thai and burmese people who work in hotels and restaurants live. I, for one, live in Chaweng because I like to live in a central location. I have a 10 minutes walk to the beach, to Central Festival with all its facilities and to many top class resaurants, farang food on the beach road and thai food in the back alleys. If I go out for a few drinks, I can walk home and do not need to fork out hundreds of baht for a taxi or drive my motorbike while intoxicated. I think Chaweng is great. And I think Chaweng should remain an entertainment area with good diversity; clubs where the younger crowd can party, sports bars, bars with live music, the cabaret shows and the gay bars in Soi Solo.

It is just such a shame that the noise from the clubs are not regulated so the nightlife could go on while those who need to sleep early can do so. This seems to be a problem mainly confined to Samui and Phangan. When I visit Bangkok I usually stay in a hotel in Sukhumvit soi 11. Soi 11 is a very busy street packed with hotels, bars, restaurants and late night clubs. I have never ever heard any noise while staying there. The clubs are more closed in and the decibel level probably regulated. Likewise, the last time I was in Pattaya I stayed in the Dream Hotel, three minutes by foot to the extremely busy Walking Street which is full of bars and clubs. My room was all quiet there as well, no thumping bass to keep me awake if I fancied an early night in.

I know nothing will change because some of us would like to see the noise level from the clubs regulated, but I do not think that the fact that a couple of the clubs have been going since the 80's justify the current situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Because the "pounding music all night long" was there before the foreign people moved in we just celebrated Raggae Pub's 28th anniversary last Friday (12th), Green Mango is the younger kid at only 27.

Organised Full Moon Parties at Sunrise Beach, Haad Rin which probably should be renamed "Moonrise Beach" only began about same time; the official story says 1985, but according to those who were party guests then, there were no organized parties, just a few hippies on a deserted beach making bonfires and plying guitars. The "true" story has recently been told by one who was there when it all began. Samui was the backpacker target and the hippies party place, the closest to a kind of club was in Lamai at that time. Only three-four hundred people lived at KP, but it became an event to hire a long tail boat departing from Nathon and sail over to the empty jungle beach there was no other way to get there than walk by cost-line during low tide or hiking over the mountains and see the full moon rise, make a bonfire and play guitar and sing and... whistling.gif

Source:

The first Full Moon parties began on Koh Som, the small island off Ban Rak. They lasted for over a year when someone recalled a visiting Royal sometime in the past declared the island should be used by the locals for recreation only and that is why there are no resorts there either.

That's why I find it strange that Koh Som is for sale now, the American owner of Petcherat Marina claims it's his Thai wife's property, here's the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/petcherat.kohsamui/

"KOH SOM ISLAND... 500 METERS NORTH OF KOH SAMUI

A BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE ISLAND PROPERTY FOR SALE... FULLY LANDSCAPED AND READY... IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE MESSAGE..."

Because the "pounding music all night long" was there before the foreign people moved in we just celebrated Raggae Pub's 28th anniversary last Friday (12th), Green Mango is the younger kid at only 27.

Organised Full Moon Parties at Sunrise Beach, Haad Rin which probably should be renamed "Moonrise Beach" only began about same time; the official story says 1985, but according to those who were party guests then, there were no organized parties, just a few hippies on a deserted beach making bonfires and plying guitars. The "true" story has recently been told by one who was there when it all began. Samui was the backpacker target and the hippies party place, the closest to a kind of club was in Lamai at that time. Only three-four hundred people lived at KP, but it became an event to hire a long tail boat departing from Nathon and sail over to the empty jungle beach there was no other way to get there than walk by cost-line during low tide or hiking over the mountains and see the full moon rise, make a bonfire and play guitar and sing and... whistling.gif

Source:

That's why I find it strange that Koh Som is for sale now, the American owner of Petcherat Marina claims it's his Thai wife's property, here's the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/petcherat.kohsamui/

"KOH SOM ISLAND... 500 METERS NORTH OF KOH SAMUI

A BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE ISLAND PROPERTY FOR SALE... FULLY LANDSCAPED AND READY... IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE MESSAGE..."

BS What this glib talking toyboy means is their squatting rights are for sale. Seems the military government is putting the foot down and cancelling these sweetheart deals. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK !

Source:

I was there 85 (KPG) and there were already everywhere bungalows you can rent for almost notthing. Ferry went to Tong Sala, from there by long tail boat.

On Lamai was the Animal House, a simple bamboo hut style disco, and then the Flamingo, a disco at the corner, that was the Bauhouse much later.....Stones, Zeppelin, Young, Bob Marley....

At that time we were by far not the first. They, the first, came in the 60s by fishing boats from the mainland and in the 70s Samui was already a fix point of the hippie trail from London/Amsterdam to Australia.

Archived