Do you see Buddhism in everyday life of Thais?

elgenon

On 9/20/2016 at 6:20 PM, camerata said:

Bhutan is probably the nearest you'll get to a "real Buddhist country" but it sure is expensive to visit.

Why expensive?  Airfare? Lodging?  I've been thinking of a trip there.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Bhutan has a daily minimum expense for tourists. It used to be $200 a day. Not sure what it is now.

I was just looking on travel adviser.  $250 a day now.  Hard to figure as I've traveled all through India for peanuts.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293844-i10038-k5995981-Read_this_before_going_to_Bhutan-Bhutan.html

Bhutan is very lightly populated. It is not easily accessible and was basically pretty removed from the world for a long time. They have intentionally limited travel there to keep it, well, Bhutan, a very unique place. 

Where other countries have a policy of measuring gross national product, un Bhutan, the most important policy is that of gross national happiness... 

Google it and learn why it is so unique... fascinating place.  

18 hours ago, joeyg said:

But Thailand does have twice the gun related crime per capita than the USA.  Just sayin'  

It's sad for me to see as I've been coming here since 1971 and I am an aspiring Buddhist.  IMHO especially the younger generation appear to have "lost the plot."

You mean the younger generation appears to have "lost pol pot", the famous cambodian guy who got everyone to work in the countryside.

I see more of the Animistic traditions here... from the spirit houses, ancestor shrines in the houses, 7 colour cloths tied around trees, offerings of food and whisky and the red juice (substitute for blood).The various festivals such as loi krathong etc, where they are giving offerings to the river goddess, their superstitions about ghosts, not cutting your hair on Wednesdays, not stepping on the bean in the doorway as you enter a house, taking your shoes off in homes, etc etc.

Then people here have combined that with the Buddhism in the temples, mainly giving money and food to monks in order to get good luck (merit), rather than for the 'real' idea behind that. 

But it all works well together.  For me the main thing is good old 'mai pen rai' attitude.  This seems to me to be very Buddhist... as in living for the moment.

I think personally the ancient Animist traditions are done with much more sincerity than some of the newer Buddhist things, just form what I see.  I live literally next door to our village temple (where the monks have expensive new phones, cars, trucks, endless new temple buildings and golden shrines, like to have parties and listen to loud pop music in the afternoons, while the elderly skinny poor people keep bringing them more food than then could eat and giving what little money they have to the monks in hope of getting good merit and a better life (which they are endlessly encouraged to do by the almost daily loud speaker orders to bring the temple more money).  This seems not quite right for true Buddhism. 

On October 7, 2559 BE at 1:32 PM, Andrew C said:

I think so. I'm coming from New York so I sort of expect people to have those little outbursts but here in Thailand, I see none of it. Also, I noticed that some of the older Thai people are completely fine with doing "nothing." They can just sit still and be a person, whereas most people need to constantly be entertained by their cell phones or something of the like. It's really interesting to see.

I saw this one older thai man sitting down on the side of the road. He had a table with some Thai souvenirs which he intended to sell. Now, he was in a terrible place for business since people hardly ever walk down this road BUT he sat calmly. He didn't look like he was daydreaming, he was just sitting. Amazing.

Yes, some of the basic NY values are not here in the countryside, such as a need to be productive, a vivid disconnect between "what do you do?" [for a living] - the constant first line... and not judging a person by their occupation. There is no pre-occupation here with 'busyness' none of the status of 'come late, leave early' as a show of how important you are... 

19 hours ago, madusa said:

You mean the younger generation appears to have "lost pol pot", the famous cambodian guy who got everyone to work in the countryside.

Sorry I don't understand.  And I know all about Pol Pot.  

The History Place - Genocide in the 20th Century: Pol Pot in Cambodia 1975-1979. An attempt by Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot to form a Communist peasant farming society resulted in the deaths of 25 percent of the country's population from starvation, overwork and executions.

Can't see the connection to the thread?

20 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I see more of the Animistic traditions here... from the spirit houses, ancestor shrines in the houses, 7 colour cloths tied around trees, offerings of food and whisky and the red juice (substitute for blood).The various festivals such as loi krathong etc, where they are giving offerings to the river goddess, their superstitions about ghosts, not cutting your hair on Wednesdays, not stepping on the bean in the doorway as you enter a house, taking your shoes off in homes, etc etc.

Then people here have combined that with the Buddhism in the temples, mainly giving money and food to monks in order to get good luck (merit), rather than for the 'real' idea behind that. 

But it all works well together.  For me the main thing is good old 'mai pen rai' attitude.  This seems to me to be very Buddhist... as in living for the moment.

I think personally the ancient Animist traditions are done with much more sincerity than some of the newer Buddhist things, just form what I see.  I live literally next door to our village temple (where the monks have expensive new phones, cars, trucks, endless new temple buildings and golden shrines, like to have parties and listen to loud pop music in the afternoons, while the elderly skinny poor people keep bringing them more food than then could eat and giving what little money they have to the monks in hope of getting good merit and a better life (which they are endlessly encouraged to do by the almost daily loud speaker orders to bring the temple more money).  This seems not quite right for true Buddhism. 

I like your summation.  Been traveling in SEA since 1971.  I was born and raised in an Italian Catholic middle class family in New Jersey.  Although a rather devout "good" Catholic alter boy and choir boy as a youth.  I began early to see the hypocrisy of "the church."  Pretty early on.  My folks used to start what used to be called "Christmas Clubs" at the bank and save up all year so we could get some decent presents.

When we'd go to church on Sunday the head priest used to blaze from the pulpit asking for money.  He drove  a nice black Caddillac, traded in every two years.  I knew there was something very wrong there.

I remember back in the old day's, my ex-wife who would be 45 now, or other family members rarely past a monk in the street without at least giving a wai.  Often taking a knee to give some donation.  Now I rarely see it.

However the corruption of organized religions unfortunately seems epidemic and I don't believe will get better any time soon.  I told a monk here many years ago that I thought following all the tenets of Buddhism seemed overwhelming to me.  I asked him what was the most important thing.

I always remember his answer.  He said, "Just be nice to everyone."  

On 3/10/2016 at 6:25 AM, F4UCorsair said:

I see them going through the motions, lighting candles, wai'ing in front of Buddha images, but when it's translated to everyday life, a lot of the ideals seem to be forgotten, and it becomes a dog eat dog mentality. Hindus in Bali are the same, preaching that karma will get them if they don't behave well, but it means little in everyday life.

They screw each other mercilessly in business, drive like maniacs with no thought for others, jump queues and push through groups, along with probably a dozen other things that could be considered anti Buddhist, but I guess they are no different than Christians....ever heard the expression "Sunday Morning Christian"??

My dad used to call them "Easter Sunday Catholics."  He used to go to mass  everyday before work.  Very interesting man.  Unfortunately he passed away quite young.  Never saw so many grown men cry at a funeral.

19 hours ago, joeyg said:

Sorry I don't understand.  And I know all about Pol Pot.  

The History Place - Genocide in the 20th Century: Pol Pot in Cambodia 1975-1979. An attempt by Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot to form a Communist peasant farming society resulted in the deaths of 25 percent of the country's population from starvation, overwork and executions.

Can't see the connection to the thread?

Can't see the connection? It's supposed to be a joke. Do you see the joke now? It's kind of subtle. Well, never mind.

Archived