Thai Transport Min discusses aviation problems after Nok Air pilot strike

webfact

Transport Min discusses aviation problems after Nok Air pilot strike

BANGKOK, 16 February 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport has met with related agencies and airlines in a bid to address issues in Thai aviation while ordering Nok Air to explain the recent strike of its pilots which led to several flight cancellations.

Deputy Transport Minister Ormsin Chivapruck convened an urgent meeting with the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand, Department of Airports, Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT), Aeronautical Radio of Thailand Company Limited and 13 airlines providing domestic services. The meeting was aimed at laying down new aviation guidelines as well as measures to deal with future problems.

The discussion was prompted by the cancellation of nine different flights of Nok Air on February 14 which left passengers stranded at airports. The issue was brought up at the meeting; however, no representatives from Nok Air were present. Mr Ormsin announced that Nok Air is required to submit clarifications on the matter within three days.

Meanwhile, Nok Air CEO Patee Sarasin has come out to apologize for the incident, saying the airline will take full responsibility for it. He pointed out that the flight cancellations were staged by a group of pilots, who went on strike over the company’s adjustment of the criteria of pilots in compliance with international standards. The adjustment has reportedly caused them to be underqualified for the job.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-16 footer_n.gif

. He pointed out that the flight cancellations were staged by a group of pilots, who went on strike over the company’s adjustment of the criteria of pilots in compliance with international standards. The adjustment has reportedly caused them to be underqualified for the job.

So they won't currently have enough qualified pilots.

I am not defending either the pilots or management. But Being "unqualified" could be nothing more than a paperwork exercise. Both the FAA and the Europeans impose incredibly ridiculous paperwork requirements on pilot training and currency documentation. It may be nothing more than a signature or initial somewhere. Absence of these could label a pilot "unqualified". As an instructor in the US I find I am more "vulnerable" to violating ridiculous paperwork entries in a students logbook or training record then I am In teaching proper flying techniques and procedures. There is much more to this story that we don't know then what we do know.

Archived