Quality potting soil and nurseries in Bangkok

Hello,

Would anyone know where to find good-quality potting soil in Bangkok within reach of BTS/MRT, and what brand that would be? Also, know of any good nurseries aside from Chatuchak, again accessible by train? One behind Big C Ekkamai has been mentioned in this forum, but has anyone gone there very recently and can confirm it's still there and where exactly it is?

I know these topics have been covered here but I did not get good leads from the previous posts so thought I would raise it again.

Thanks,

• 2 years later...

Not saying that good potting soil isn't to be found but in my experience most of it contains little nourishment for a plant, you have to buy that in the form of Osmocote or a weekly additon to the water. (I use cow manure tea)

I was told that most of the stuff sold is spent mushroom compost. That's what I use and it works well enough.

18 hours ago, moontang said:

good question....where to buy??  Does HomePro even sell it?  Found some plant containers real cheap....need some soil, dont want to dig..but not out of the question.

How much do you need?  Home Pro has some small sacks of their version of potting soil, as do other garden centers.  The reason that the OP "did not get good leads" is that from my experience there is no reliable recommendation to be made, no consistent supplier or brand. There are many materials available to make your own blend, There are various products that are sold in garden centers, but it's difficult to distinguish what exactly they are made from, even if you read the Thai on the label; the sales persons don't know much about the product.   Most are derived from various amounts and mixtures of available raw organic matter, coconut husk, rice hulls, rice straw, partially or fully decomposed, sand and soil. And some are derived from dredged garbage dump sludge that has been dried, screened and sacked.   Just ask for "din" (soil) and/ or "pui insee" (compost). mix the two and try that.

I have used some sacked din and pui insee products from a local nursery in Samut Prakan for potting soil, one is labeled as worm manure, and mix I them. The mix I create drains well but not too fast, retains soil moisture for a few days, and like Cooked suggests, I fertilize with my own slow release organic fertilizer blend. So far our plants love it.  

There is a real potting soil product available in Chiang Mai from Natural Agriculture in MaeTaeng, made with their excellent real compost combined with native soil from their organic farm property, but they don't market outside the area and you would have to drive 45 min northeast of Chiang Mai to pick it up in 40 kilo sacks. Or call to see if there is a shop now in Chiang Mai that carries it.  They focus on sales by the ton and 10 ton lots to farmers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 8:39 PM, moontang said:

does tesco or makro carry it...much easier for me than homepro.

I don't think so, but not sure.  Try Lazada, it's like the Asian version of E-Bay, I just found this: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2-rg-12-potting-soil-i166008390-s203435600.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.62.4e0c594dqhyYqX&search=1

Archived