Bangkok strives to be 'smart city' to ease traffic

webfact

Bangkok strives to be 'smart city' to ease traffic
YUKAKO ONO, Nikkei staff writer

BANGKOK -- Seeking ways to solve issues in a rapidly urbanizing Thailand, Japanese companies, academics and the Thai government are working together to create so-called "smart cities" in the country.

"We can use technology to reduce Thailand's heavy traffic jams," Transportation Minister Arkom Termpittayapaisith told a seminar titled "Asia Smart City Summit" in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Indeed, many of Bangkok's traffic lights are still controlled manually by police stationed at intersections. "The Thai police don't believe in information technology that much," said Arkom, insisting that an urbanized city needs to be controlled by digital technology. He also vowed to accelerate the usage of technical data to analyze and control traffic flow.

Full story: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Bangkok-strives-to-be-smart-city-to-ease-traffic

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2016-02-18

If the numptie BIB left the traffic lights alone (and this goes for Pattaya as well), there would rarely be a traffic jam.

I once got a three day tan sitting at the red light because the numptie was away from his switchbox gathering tea money. He forgot he was supposed to turn them over.

And THATS why there are traffic jams in Thailand. coffee1.gif

That will be a good idea having a ' smart city ' if the people who are running the city would have been also

smart to begins with, but they're clearly not, judging from all the daily mayhem on the capitol's roads,

to talk and wish smart is one thing, to implement and execute is another.....

You also need police enforcing traffic laws. Yesterday, on the way to work, I approached the traffic lights with 4 lanes. Everyone was in the right three lanes trying to turn right or u-turn. Cars were just cutting in because why should they have to wait? It was pandemonium.

"Indeed, many of Bangkok's traffic lights are still controlled manually by police stationed at intersections."

Japanese Engineer: "what is your job?"

Thai policeman: "I sit in box, push button. make cars stop and go."

Japanese Engineer: "oh yes, like my great grandfather 100 years ago."

Thai policeman: "yes but he no have Facebook to look at. Where Japan? Next to USA and UK?"

If the numptie BIB left the traffic lights alone (and this goes for Pattaya as well), there would rarely be a traffic jam.

I once got a three day tan sitting at the red light because the numptie was away from his switchbox gathering tea money. He forgot he was supposed to turn them over.

And THATS why there are traffic jams in Thailand. coffee1.gif

It's not quite that simple. You'd still have motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic making it hard to switch lanes, buses slowing down in the middle of the road to let off passengers, and people parking along busy thoroughfares because they can't be bothered to find a real parking spot. Automation of lights would definitely help though.

I've lived here for over 10 years; and driving for about eight years. I cannot tell you how many times I have been stuck on the expressway coming in to Bangkok at rush hour; and the police stop all traffic for 1-2 hours.

And some light reading to accompany this article: http://www.trafficpolice.go.th/download/Traffic_problems_and_solution_in_Bankok.pdf

Remember this? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874805-police-to-launch-5-measures-to-ease-traffic-in-bangkok-in-3-months/

Bangkok's finest have nearly two weeks to meet Prayut's deadline or face the consequences.

A collective holding of breath by the TV community might come in handy here...

Is Bangkok about to become the "HUB" of smart cities.

Yup and Thailand is the hub of "strong" countries. They just learned that word and i see it everywhere now, even dogs are called "strong", stlong that is.

Bangkok has songthaews, rikshaws, taxi's, minivans,citybuses,metro, skytrain, motocytaxi, riverboatexpress, longtails, and it's still a total chaos...thumbsup.gif

i'm waiting for helicopters though.

I have yet to figure this stuff out. On Phradipat at Saphan Daeng, the red light is 112 seconds, there is virtually no traffic

coming from Rama V at all. The light turns green for 17 seconds, 4 cars make it through.

It's been like that for 10 years, it doesn't make sense!

If the police had wanted it, all lights would have computerised years ago. But they don't. They might have to do some real police work if the cushy traffic light jobs were taken away from them by a machine.

Same in Phuket. I was once near the front of the traffic queue at the Central intersection as the numbers were counting down. As it got to one motorbikes slowly edged forward and as then accelerated as zero was expected. The problem was the light remained red as the lights had just been taken over by the police. Carnage was somehow avoided as the cars coming from the right managed to stop, despite the green light remaining on. They'd probably slowed down as their countdown would also have been taking place.

I'm sure there are many more stories and I'm sure that several accidents have been caused by this system. And why, when police are actively controlling the lights, are red-light runners simply ignored by them? Of course, that's not their job; multi-tasking is not something that Thai police seem to be proficient at.

It would take 15-20 years to make Bangkok and efficient and smart city to drive in if they had the same amount of cars. that is if they started today and continued everyday on the roads. basically all the roads would need restructuring, roads and residential area closed. so the chances of this happening in time are. zero.

Archived