BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Bangkok strives to be 'smart city' to ease traffic

Bangkok strives to be 'smart city' to ease traffic
YUKAKO ONO, Nikkei staff writer

BANGKOK -- Seeking ways to solve issues in a rapidly urbanizing Thailand, Japanese companies, academics and the Thai government are working together to create so-called "smart cities" in the country.

"We can use technology to reduce Thailand's heavy traffic jams," Transportation Minister Arkom Termpittayapaisith told a seminar titled "Asia Smart City Summit" in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Indeed, many of Bangkok's traffic lights are still controlled manually by police stationed at intersections. "The Thai police don't believe in information technology that much," said Arkom, insisting that an urbanized city needs to be controlled by digital technology. He also vowed to accelerate the usage of technical data to analyze and control traffic flow.

Full story: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Bangkok-strives-to-be-smart-city-to-ease-traffic

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2016-02-18

"The Thai police don't believe in information technology that much," said Arkom,

Indeed.

If the numptie BIB left the traffic lights alone (and this goes for Pattaya as well), there would rarely be a traffic jam.

I once got a three day tan sitting at the red light because the numptie was away from his switchbox gathering tea money. He forgot he was supposed to turn them over.

And THATS why there are traffic jams in Thailand. coffee1.gif

That will be a good idea having a ' smart city ' if the people who are running the city would have been also

smart to begins with, but they're clearly not, judging from all the daily mayhem on the capitol's roads,

to talk and wish smart is one thing, to implement and execute is another.....

That's the funniest thing I've read in days!

You also need police enforcing traffic laws. Yesterday, on the way to work, I approached the traffic lights with 4 lanes. Everyone was in the right three lanes trying to turn right or u-turn. Cars were just cutting in because why should they have to wait? It was pandemonium.

I will retranslate the article.

Thai Ministry of Transport purchase technology from Japan in order to rake off 30% of the budget.

charge people to drive into the center of the city as they do in london. problem solved.

oh, but first you need an efficient and effective public transport system to take up the slack.

i wonder what the Japanese engineers are thinking when they see the huge unworkable crazy mess of exposed power lines mixed up with cable and internet lines draped all over utility poles with no rhyme or reason in Bangkok?

When there are more vehicles than road it don't make A difference how smart people are.Years ago when more people started driving they needed to build more roads.I don't see this problem improving anytime soon

"Indeed, many of Bangkok's traffic lights are still controlled manually by police stationed at intersections."

Japanese Engineer: "what is your job?"

Thai policeman: "I sit in box, push button. make cars stop and go."

Japanese Engineer: "oh yes, like my great grandfather 100 years ago."

Thai policeman: "yes but he no have Facebook to look at. Where Japan? Next to USA and UK?"

Ha Ha Ha! The replies crack me....and so does the article from the 1st post. clap2.gif