Bike helmet laws to be enforced in Koh Samui from March 1st

webfact

Bike helmet laws to be enforced in Koh Samui from March 1st

wear-a-helmet.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- A new motorbike campaign is getting under way in Koh Samui and will come into full force on March 1st.

All those on motorcycles are required to wear helmets and that goes for pillion passengers too! Posters are going up around the island to notify residents and visitors to the island that both the rider of the bike and passengers must wear helmets, those drivers failing to abide by the law will fined 500 baht for themselves and 1,000 baht for their passengers!

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2016-02-19

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Let's hope there's no 'Thai price'.

2. Let's also hope that retail outlets are able to satisfy the demand for helmets in sizes that actually fit non-asian heads before this actually kicks off.

Yeah I know, "Thing(k) Too Mutt" smile.png

.. Let's hope there's actually some enforcement past the first weekend.

It's about time they properly enforced this, and for passengers too...

Same as Malaysia does....thumbsup.gif

I saw a cop riding down the road here in Pattaya with no helmet on. Saw one in Bangkok last month doing the same thing. Next time, I'll try to take a picture! LOL

It's about time they properly enforced this, and for passengers too...

Same as Malaysia does....thumbsup.gif

I saw a cop riding down the road here in Pattaya with no helmet on. Saw one in Bangkok last month doing the same thing. Next time, I'll try to take a picture! LOL

We see that on Samui too! I wonder if that will change too or whether they will pull over their own.....? whistling.gif

Still think confiscation is a better solution personally

yup. I believe it's Vietnam who confiscate the bikes for 48hrs. Then the bike can be collected after paying a fine and showing the new helmets.

Samui always has been, and remains the last bastion of utter lawlessness in Thailand. The previous helmet campaigns have always lasted only 10 hours. There has never been any sort of followup or consistency with anything bordering on public or traffic safety policy on Samui. They are some of the least talented and most incompetent police in the country. And the local officials display a level of indifference that is chilling. Though the island possesses the proud distinction of having the highest fatality rate in the world for traffic fatalities on motorbikes, has anyone in a position of power ever done anything about that? No. Do they care? No? Why? It is anyone's guess.

If they actually implemented something like this, it would be of great benefit to the long forgotten island of Samui, and it's residents and tourists. But, it remains to be seen whether these men are capable of following up anything, much less a real safety campaign. Let us hope for the best on this one. If it happens, it is 30 years overdue.

Funny how the sheep are cheering for their own enslavement !

1. Helmets are for PERSONAL safety and as such should be a PERSONAL choice

2. Helmets do NOT make traffic more safe !!!

Samui has no bigger problems I guess ... but that's not so popular like the Helmet-band-waggon BS !!!

Samui has no bigger problems I guess ... but that's not so popular like the Helmet-band-waggon BS !!!

If you believe that helmets are a personal choice, then I guess you will agree that the rescue teams who have to scrape your brains off the road following an accident also have a personal choice not to bother.... if you are too stupid to live in a reasonable society, then you cannot ask that society to look after you....

Yes, helmets required by law are for personal safety and some riders personal choice is not to wear one then complain about having to pay a fine for not doing so. Either you do not care for your own personal safety or you have no respect for the law or maybe both. I chose to wear a helmet for my own protection and that makes it legal for me to ride. Been doing it for over 45 years. I also wear my seatbelt and require my passengers to also. I feel safer and it saves me money if I didn't. That's not BS.

If you believe that helmets are a personal choice, then I guess you will agree that the rescue teams who have to scrape your brains off the road following an accident also have a personal choice not to bother.... if you are too stupid to live in a reasonable society, then you cannot ask that society to look after you....

And the level of Hospital care that may increase, due to more severe head injuries...

So do the Insurance companies or the other party that was involved in an accident, also have a personal choice to cover the "non-wearing helmet" person for the extra expense needed?

Bike helmet laws to be enforced in Koh Samui

OMG! How did I survive the 1950s and 1960s as I kid? ermm.gif

Do they make helmets fot babies ? It's very common to see Dad and Mum on a bike,Mum carrying a very young baby or a an infant standing in front of the rider or both. It's the same old story, what's the point in fining them when they don't have the money to pay it.

Confiscate the bike and you would be accused of taking their livihood away from them, it's a never ending story with no practical solution.

These helmet checks /roadblocks already happen at least once a month in Samui and have been for the past 15 years. If you know the secret sign,.... an oncoming rider pointing at his head (oh no I've let out the secretgigglem.gif) you can turn around and take another route.

Rather sounds like you've had a bang on the head at sometime and forgotten about it. The extra burden on the health service (not paid by the rider) explains the widespread laws on this throughout the rest of the world. I suggest a 99 baht helmet in your case. A cheap helmet for a cheap head.

Archived