Chiang Mai: 100 armed police arrest foreigners for not carrying passports

rooster59

I carry a credit-card sized, laminated copy of the main passport page with copy of the current visa on the reverse, plus my driving licence. It will be interesting to see if they accept that, since last year's announcement that a copy was enough...

I do too.. smile.png
Hi, can you post a link to that announcement?

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good idea to keep a (reduced size) photocopy of your passport about your person. Technically the law requires you to carry the original at all times; but in practice a photocopy will do.

Agreed! I do the same myself (Laminated copy - credit card size), and was stopped once and the officer accepted it, but did say that I was supposed to carry the original. He also seemed to accept my reasoning regarding the associated problems regarding a lost/stolen passport, but I think as per usual over here, it depends whereabouts in Thailand you are, on the mood of the officer concerned, and how the instructions from above are interpreted!

This and the similar raids in Pattaya lately arresting people for not carrying passports....

The military government just deciding to flex its muscles, or, a response to the reports of some kind of IS terrorist threat inside Thailand?

Yeah, those nightclub loving fundamentalist terrorist fanatics. Wonder how they handle a gay man neck massage in the bog. Just the place to find them lurking around the night before a good bit of suicide bombing.???

I always have a copy of my passport with me, that's what some of high rank police officer said before that it was enough.

In the case I need to produce my passport and before in the day I had to leave my passport to a motorbike shop, then how come am I suppose to show it to them ?

Also, I heard a lot of people saying that one should never give his passport to a motorbike rental shop but whenever I go they always ask for it, they will never take a copy or any other ID documents...

Moreover, my company often take my passport with me for a few days before reporting me to the immigration, in that case again I would have to stay at the police station all night until the HR department of my company is able to bring the passport back.

Bit difficult to understand your post - have you actually been detained in the police station overnight because your company "had your passport for a few days, before reporting you to Immigration"?

And NEVER give your passport to a motorbike rental shop. If a photocopy is not sufficient - go somewhere else. Too many cases of passports being mislaid, lost or stolen in this way.

That picture, with a semi-automatic weapon, in the tourist zone of CM is sure to make TAT happy! LOL I wonder how many trips are being cancelled as I write this???

probably not to many trips! the idiots still come over here despite the murders in phuket, the robberies in BKK and the police harassment. just goes to show youthat there will always be a charlie tuna somewhere!

The last time the subject of whether a copy of the passport or the original was acceptable someone posted a link to a copy of a notice from an official in the immigration department stating that a copy was acceptable. One did not need to carry the original passport. I downloaded that copy but can't find it on my new computer. If anyone has said notice please post it or a link where it can be obtained.

This and the similar raids in Pattaya lately arresting people for not carrying passports....

The military government just deciding to flex its muscles, or, a response to the reports of some kind of IS terrorist threat inside Thailand?

Yeah, those nightclub loving fundamentalist terrorist fanatics. Wonder how they handle a gay man neck massage in the bog. Just the place to find them lurking around the night before a good bit of suicide bombing.???

try to write in english that is understandable to the rest of us "english" speakers! what the hell is a bog?

This is very good. I only show my copy of the passport. And no problem. I love Chiangmai. I love this country.

Well, my thoughts is that this beautiful country let to many angry and maffia people in. How to take away them? You tell me? Check them up is the way the goverment can do. And now they do!

Yeah, those nightclub loving fundamentalist terrorist fanatics. Wonder how they handle a gay man neck massage in the bog. Just the place to find them lurking around the night before a good bit of suicide bombing.

try to write in english that is understandable to the rest of us "english" speakers! what the hell is a bog?

It's a karzi!

its English slang for Toilet ...not where you will find pete

I carry a credit-card sized, laminated copy of the main passport page with copy of the current visa on the reverse, plus my driving licence. It will be interesting to see if they accept that, since last year's announcement that a copy was enough...

I do too.. smile.png
Hi, can you post a link to that announcement?

Here's one, there are more out there - https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/

//edit - one post with OTT profanity removed.

Don't know Zoe in Yellow, but one of my neighbors owns a gay massage place (yes, a male brothel). Ran into her early Thursday night. She told me she had closed and sent all her "boys" home. They're all Burmese and don't had ID's. The cops were rousting bars, etc. looking. From Bangkok, she said.

I wonder how many of these tourists were actually tourists?

P.S. She said they were fining places B50,000.

FAO TallGuyJohninBKK:- . A nightclub could be the ideal place for "a bit of suicide bombing", as has happened elsewhere. Lots of people in one place indulging in "forbidden" practices - least of all - drinking.

FAO catspectre :- A "bog" is English (not english) slang for a "toilet" What the hell is a "john"? A toilet or a guy?

Don't know Zoe in Yellow, but one of my neighbors owns a gay massage place (yes, a male brothel). Ran into her early Thursday night. She told me she had closed and sent all her "boys" home. They're all Burmese and don't had ID's. The cops were rousting bars, etc. looking. From Bangkok, she said.

I wonder how many of these tourists were actually tourists?

P.S. She said they were fining places B50,000.

Ah,so it was to do with money, then? Wot a surprise!

its English slang for Toilet ...not where you will find pete

Oops sorry, lav, john, pisser, loo, wc, or even bathroom

However "bog" is an informal name, not slang for a toilet in the Oxford Dictionary.

I tried to think about this from every angle but at the end of the day its just wrong---you just cant treat people like this who arent doing anything obviously wrong.I wonder what percentage of the people here make their living off tourism? I wonder what would happen to Chiang Mai if no one ever visited again? You just cannot invite people into your country, take their money, and then terrorize them......Now for those who say they are leaving Thailand because of this, that is just silly---this is a wonderful country in so many ways, but no where is perfect--despite what the travel sites might have you believe. In case you havent noticed, the air is dirty too, and there is a lot of poverty, and kids are being molested every day. You have to take the good with the bad.

This has become an increasingly disgusting country to live in. 35 years ago, it really was so beautiful. Problem is,# this decline will continue. You should have seen Samui in the 80s;Paradise. Thais will eventually pay big time for their avarice. Only those of us who were here back then will be able to relate to this message. The rest of you are too ill informed to carry any credence. Any witty retorts? Let 'em rip you <deleted> Thai sycophants.

Difficult to make an informed comment without all the details, but my thought is that recent passport checks in Pattaya and Chiang Mai might be related to:

Latest News:

Could be this is a proactive attempt by authorities to stop a problem before it becomes a problem.

From Samut Prakan Immigration office front page:

Q. Do I have to carry my passport at all times?
A. Foreigners must carry their passport or a photocopy at all times. If they go away somewhere overnight, they should also take their passport. For photocopies, you need to show the photo page and the latest extension of stay. Violators could be detained and told to pay a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht.

Why you complain here on thaivisa??

YOU need to organize a demonstration!!!

in pattaya exmpl. front of foodcentral on the beach opposite. few dozen people with the painted banner-for example, do not make criminals out of people who give you bread and similar phrases.....

And repeated demonstrations every week thumbsup.gif

Archived