Chiang Mai: 100 armed police arrest foreigners for not carrying passports

rooster59

The wife and I kinda guessed it would be on for young and old this weekend when returning to Pattaya on the motorway, yesterday at 2.30ish when there was a 40min traffic jam where Chonburi flyover road joins on.

Reason... BIB's blocking 2 of the 4 lanes doing random checks on??

Some 10 patrol cars parked under the adjacent flyover.

The accuracy of the news item causing all this commentary ??... Hmmmm

More likely they were trying to intercept drug dealers / users - which is not such a bad thang'

A reggae concert in Ban Ampur and the Maya concert in North Pattaya tonight - better bring your own urine sample along "here's one I prepared earlier, Sir "

Careful with the booze on Monday.... stock up

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry a credit-card sized, laminated copy of the main passport page with copy of the current visa on the reverse, plus my driving licence. It will be interesting to see if they accept that, since last year's announcement that a copy was enough...

Good as long as you have a copy of the current visa stamp too

I carry a Photo of all the relevant pages on my phone and my driving licence and I hope that this will be OK with them

Bloody hell m16s just to check for passports.

Police state or what?

I better be careful they maybe lock me up for driving my wheelchair ! without due care !

Don't you see how much safer you should feel with a sharply dressed professional like that holding a gun? He clearly has enough up top to know that he shouldn't be pointing at anyone in front of a camera.

".....reduced-size, laminated copy...."

That seems like a bunch of messing around.

I just carry a folded, full-size copy of the photo page, extension of stay stamp, and latest entry stamp, on one sheet of paper.

I want the inspecting official to be able to read it, and the photo to be at least somewhat recognizable.

I always have a copy of my passport with me, that's what some of high rank police officer said before that it was enough.

In the case I need to produce my passport and before in the day I had to leave my passport to a motorbike shop, then how come am I suppose to show it to them ?

Also, I heard a lot of people saying that one should never give his passport to a motorbike rental shop but whenever I go they always ask for it, they will never take a copy or any other ID documents...

Moreover, my company often take my passport with me for a few days before reporting me to the immigration, in that case again I would have to stay at the police station all night until the HR department of my company is able to bring the passport back.

Bit difficult to understand your post - have you actually been detained in the police station overnight because your company "had your passport for a few days, before reporting you to Immigration"?

And NEVER give your passport to a motorbike rental shop. If a photocopy is not sufficient - go somewhere else. Too many cases of passports being mislaid, lost or stolen in this way.

Yeah you're right my post is not very clear.

I meant that HR department usually take my passport for like 3-5 days during the time they go to report me at the immigration.

If during that time I decide to go out and end up in a police station for not having my passport with me on a Saturday night, then I think that I will have to spend all my weekend there until they are able to reach the HR department of my company on Monday morning to check my passport.

Regarding motorbike rental shop, last time I deceided not to give my passport, I spent more than 3 hours looking for one and ALL of them did not even accept a thai ID card from our friends so we gave up and gave them one of our passport. Some guest house do offer motorbike rental and I don't need to give passport in that case but most of the time I can't find any shop who just accept a copy and a hotel name and room number.

That picture, with a semi-automatic weapon, in the tourist zone of CM is sure to make TAT happy! LOL I wonder how many trips are being cancelled as I write this??

And that is exactly what this administration wants. I have been watching this situation develop for years now. Who cares if more and more falang leave Thailand, or not come at all. Falang are too much trouble ! The more of us leave the more Chinese can move in, thay are more compliant to orders, even though they walk all over Thai culture and values..

"Thailand on high alert due to ISIS threat".

Since this ID check is happening right after the threat was announced, do you think there may be some sort of connection , or just a coincidence??

Coincidence. Or pure stupidity.

An ISIS terrorist doesn't have to be a foreigner.

Just look at the attacks in Paris. Look at all the British nationals who join ISIS.

It would be so easy for a Thai muslim to travel to the middle east, receive training and return to Thailand. Wait, and then months or years later spring into action.

I carry a credit-card sized, laminated copy of the main passport page with copy of the current visa on the reverse, plus my driving licence. It will be interesting to see if they accept that, since last year's announcement that a copy was enough...

I carry a full size laminated copy of my passport. The first page with my country's declaration and the personal details/photo page. I also include a copy of my current annual visa. I think I may start copying my entry stamp page as well.

Last year the Bangkok police published a brochure detailing the rules governing how and where police are allowed to do all this crap, plus the holders rights. I think I will get a laminated copy of that as well.

Gentlemen, we are under fire.

I carry a full size laminated copy of my passport. The first page with my country's declaration and the personal details/photo page. I also include a copy of my current annual visa. I think I may start copying my entry stamp page as well.

Last year the Bangkok police published a brochure detailing the rules governing how and where police are allowed to do all this crap, plus the holders rights. I think I will get a laminated copy of that as well.

Gentlemen, we are under fire.

Yes. I remember that well.

Does anyone have the link?

Totally OTT and frankly outrageous behaviour in a supposedly civilised country - Thailand is firmly in reverse gear and my wife and I are firmly headed back to the UK in a few weeks as a result.

Goodbye Thailand and we wish Thais all the best in their bleak future.................

Agreed. Already left for now. My Thai girlfriend too. Even she thinks Thailand is going backwards.

Everyone should spread the word! This should be on lonely planet, tripadvisor, pantip, blogs, facebook, etc.....

If you want to harass tourists and do this, then you should suffer and lose their $$$$$

Bad idea. You will be accused of damaging Thailand's reputation.

I always have a copy of my passport with me, that's what some of high rank police officer said before that it was enough.

In the case I need to produce my passport and before in the day I had to leave my passport to a motorbike shop, then how come am I suppose to show it to them ?

Also, I heard a lot of people saying that one should never give his passport to a motorbike rental shop but whenever I go they always ask for it, they will never take a copy or any other ID documents...

Moreover, my company often take my passport with me for a few days before reporting me to the immigration, in that case again I would have to stay at the police station all night until the HR department of my company is able to bring the passport back.

Bit difficult to understand your post - have you actually been detained in the police station overnight because your company "had your passport for a few days, before reporting you to Immigration"?

And NEVER give your passport to a motorbike rental shop. If a photocopy is not sufficient - go somewhere else. Too many cases of passports being mislaid, lost or stolen in this way.

Yeah you're right my post is not very clear.

I meant that HR department usually take my passport for like 3-5 days during the time they go to report me at the immigration.

If during that time I decide to go out and end up in a police station for not having my passport with me on a Saturday night, then I think that I will have to spend all my weekend there until they are able to reach the HR department of my company on Monday morning to check my passport.

Regarding motorbike rental shop, last time I deceided not to give my passport, I spent more than 3 hours looking for one and ALL of them did not even accept a thai ID card from our friends so we gave up and gave them one of our passport. Some guest house do offer motorbike rental and I don't need to give passport in that case but most of the time I can't find any shop who just accept a copy and a hotel name and room number.

I guess it comes down to what is more important...renting a motorbike or possibly having your passport stolen/forged/etc.

Difficult to have a definitive opinion on such succinct information. Personally my thai license has always been accepted as identity document in this country under any circumstances.

A traveler precautionary nonetheless I sent copy of passport, visa, driving license and other official documents on my inbox. Kept on file to be available if needed everywhere I travel.

Archived