Chiang Mai: 100 armed police arrest foreigners for not carrying passports

rooster59

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

try to write in english that is understandable to the rest of us "english" speakers! what the hell is a bog?

Tallguy-you are obviously an educated and refined gentleman, although obviously not English public school educated, as if you were you would know that it is the common slang for what in polite circles is called a lavatory.

I must apologise for the low lifes that inhabit this forum with their crudeness in trying to explain to you what a "bog" is.

Strictly speaking, a toilet is the appliance used for elimination of various body wastes. A lavatory refers to the practice of washing hands after said elimination, which has become the more common expression along with the term washroom. Although I understand French males prefer to wash their hands before the process of urination, to ensure their members are unsullied.

With the usual English talent for obliquity, an English public school in all other countries would be described as a private school.

It seems some people on Thaivisa want the Thai tourism industry to fail, to teach them a lesson, or something. If you think a passport check at a pub is going to scare off tourists, well, you are just clueless.

International arrivals to Thailand from 2000 to 2015 show a significant rise from 2000 onwards. If we take the year 2000 as an easy benchmark with 10 million visitors at the time, we reached 26.55 million visitors in 2013, an increase of 165 %. Arrivals decreased by 6.54% during 2014, in a year that saw massive political demonstrations, followed by the military taking over the government. A recovery occurred in the final quarter of that year, and 2015 saw a BOOM in arrivals, almost up to THIRTY million.

Temporary dips in arrivals occurred

SARS 2003

Post-Tsunami 2004

Global recession and riots in Thailand 2009

Riots and political uncertainty in 2010, major flooding of a large part of Thailand and northern Bangkok end 2011, and political demonstrations end 2013 and ongoing into 2014. Anti-goverment demonstrations occupied most of the first half of 2014, and were followed by declaration of martial law, and a military (bloodless) Coup d'Etat on 22 May 2014. Military government since then. Bombing of the Erawan Shrine on 17 August 2015 likely had some negative effect on the number of arrivals.

Despite the wishes of the thaibashers, tourism to Thailand has NEVER BEEN MORE POPULAR, but don't let the facts get in the way, you tell them why tourists don't come here any more. I am sure Somchai will be amused with your knowledge!!!

I was at the royal building near the Dusit zoo today. A very impressive place. There were too many foreign tourists there. It was packed. But I know the mongers who prop up the bars won't believe me, because they read on Thaivisa that the bars are empty!

100 armed police to check a few passports. Christ almighty, don't these people have any real criminals to catch. Talk about overkill.

Nothing wrong with checking for drugs etc, but looks like just going after the easy low-hanging fruit.

Better get TAT to put some positive spin on this.

Ok I will give you a hot tip. Do you have a smart phone?

Take a photo of your passport biopage and your visa and your entry stamp.

Maybe two or 3 photos right.

Create a new folder in the gallery of your phone and call it passport. Move the photos to there.

When asked by police you just show them those photos.

Want a copy officer? Do you have Zapya lets just send it to your phone?

I live in Myanmar I visit remote areas often and the police are concerned for my welfare and want to keep a record of my visit in case something happens to me.

I show them the photos or give them a copy from phone to phone.

Everyone happy. On my way.

Lets say something does happen to me? They know who I am and where I was and they wont cop the blame from their superior officers.

I understand that I am a visitor and they are there to protect me and I am here to protect them.

Do you take your smartphone with you when you go out? No need for laminating and photocopies.

And certainly no need for taking your passport with you.

Anyway works fine here in Myanmar.

It's a good idea to keep a (reduced size) photocopy of your passport about your person. Technically the law requires you to carry the original at all times; but in practice a photocopy will do.

You are correct. a photo copy not save you as some found out the need to have the orignal one with them

Many people get a way with the good mood of the officer in fact the officer is violating the law by allowing to check you with the copy. and therefore copy or no copy of passport is in fact the same when you run into the real checks.

Having a copy of your passport is a risk one takes.

Same old story, police shoot themselves in the foot again. The thing I find "Amazing" about these constant contradictions is; since this has all started again both the PM and Deputy Commander Voravat have had nothing to say.

The message is as clear as a bell:

Tourist's money welcome to Thailand, tourists please stay home or go elsewhere.

wai.gif

It's a good idea to keep a (reduced size) photocopy of your passport about your person. Technically the law requires you to carry the original at all times; but in practice a photocopy will do.

You are correct. a photo copy not save you as some found out the need to have the orignal one with them

Many people get a way with the good mood of the officer in fact the officer is violating the law by allowing to check you with the copy. and therefore copy or no copy of passport is in fact the same when you run into the real checks.

Having a copy of your passport is a risk one takes.

Any person can make a forged copy of their passport, even passports that look orginal can be very good fakes. Just carry your original passport and if you go out to get drunk, you have not matured enough to be let out at night, without adult supervision. The Visa Permission to Stay, Multiple entry stamp and your 90 stamp is what needs to seen in the original form for expats. Tourist need valid visas. Get up to speed with what you do need here please, it is for all of our safety.

Ok TV owners and reporters.

How about doing all of us expats a favor and getting an interview with an authority figure in Bangkok and finally get an interview that specifically states the law, by name, that is on the Thai law books specifically spelling out the law regarding what identification needs to be carried by foreigners. If we are being shaken down, call it for what it is. If it's the law to carry a passport at all time, spell it out in plain word and connect to a link that has the law in Thai. I want to translate it. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

This and the similar raids in Pattaya lately arresting people for not carrying passports....

The military government just deciding to flex its muscles, or, a response to the reports of some kind of IS terrorist threat inside Thailand?

Yeah, those nightclub loving fundamentalist terrorist fanatics. Wonder how they handle a gay man neck massage in the bog. Just the place to find them lurking around the night before a good bit of suicide bombing.???

try to write in english that is understandable to the rest of us "english" speakers! what the hell is a bog?

its English slang for Toilet ...not where you will find pete

Back home it would be a swamp

This and the similar raids in Pattaya lately arresting people for not carrying passports....

The military government just deciding to flex its muscles, or, a response to the reports of some kind of IS terrorist threat inside Thailand?

When you know that terrorist come from western country, some of them are native and converted and carry french or belgian passeport

They have french or belgium passport but are french or belgium only by birth on their adminstrative papers, they are not considered as REAL french or belgium by thai autorities as I have seen in Phuket and Ranong during "stamping" process for visa.

The thai police showed a different attitude between these north-africans holding a "french passport" and me : nice attitude for me, suspicious look to them. Just to mention it.

It seems that to some , the penny never drops, that we are not actually liked here.

It also seems to many of us who live in Thailand and probably in rural areas that we actually ARE liked here.

We play the game by Thai rules and have no hassle at at but there are quite a few that don't and whine if they are caught breaking the rules.

Has the penny dropped for you yet?

Zoe competition paid the police, end of the story.

Or perhaps the competition is owned by the police.

But I lean more towards the development of Chiang Mai as becoming a major middle class Chinese tourist destination and the scene at Zoe, and the younger western backpackers in general, as being perceived by some of the well placed Sino-Chinese who profit from that particular tourist trade as being an impediment. Not to mention that some influential Chinese do not want to see their own young independent travelers interacting with, and being exposed to the more global youth culture on display at Zoe.

That picture, with a semi-automatic weapon, in the tourist zone of CM is sure to make TAT happy! LOL I wonder how many trips are being cancelled as I write this???

probably not to many trips! the idiots still come over here despite the murders in phuket, the robberies in BKK and the police harassment. just goes to show youthat there will always be a charlie tuna somewhere!

However BKK, Phuket and Pattaya are only places where tourists generally go and are only a small part of Thailand.

Bloody hell m16s just to check for passports.

Police state or what?

I better be careful they maybe lock me up for pdriving my wheelchair ! without due care

Have you been in a coma for the last decade? This is normal for Thailand. But don't worry, I'm sure a sexpat will be along soon to explain how they have so much "freedom" in Thailand compared to those oppressive western nations

That picture, with a semi-automatic weapon, in the tourist zone of CM is sure to make TAT happy! LOL I wonder how many trips are being cancelled as I write this???

Have paid for and booked my flights back to C M early April now I wish I hadn't all my expats are pulling up stumps and leaving they have had enough I now feel the same looks like I lose my money any one want free tickets to hell

I always have a copy of my passport with me, that's what some of high rank police officer said before that it was enough.

In the case I need to produce my passport and before in the day I had to leave my passport to a motorbike shop, then how come am I suppose to show it to them ?

Also, I heard a lot of people saying that one should never give his passport to a motorbike rental shop but whenever I go they always ask for it, they will never take a copy or any other ID documents...

Moreover, my company often take my passport with me for a few days before reporting me to the immigration, in that case again I would have to stay at the police station all night until the HR department of my company is able to bring the passport back.

Bit difficult to understand your post - have you actually been detained in the police station overnight because your company "had your passport for a few days, before reporting you to Immigration"?

And NEVER give your passport to a motorbike rental shop. If a photocopy is not sufficient - go somewhere else. Too many cases of passports being mislaid, lost or stolen in this way.

I rented a motorcycle on and off for 12 years at the same well established bike rental . He always kept my passport, after having one stolen from my room at a guest house on Soi 2 I trusted the guy to keep it safe for me. He always locked the draw they were kept in and when he closed up took the passports to his home round the corner.

I never had problems showing the copy at varoius checkpoints.. then again things have changed now. I have my own vehicle and in this new oppressive climate take my original passport with me on out of town trips.

it will be interesting to find out what actual law has been broken.

I mean with an actual article reference rather than 'you must carry your passport'.

there was a raid in Pattaya as well and it was also reported that foreigners were arrested for not carrying their passports, but this was false information.

people carrying a Thai driver's license for example, were let go.

I think the Law requires everyone to carry valid ID

It's clear that tourism does not have the same priority once had and it almost appears the golden goose of Thailand so to speak is nearing its life's end.

Where it was once a place visitors felt safe they now feel as if things are getting way out of control. The Time headline in this article stated what once was the land of smiles has turned into the land of shakedowns.

http://time.com/3674200/thailand-tourism-police-corruption-shakedown-extortion/

When the top dog blurts out things like "no Thai can do this" it makes me wonder what the future holds. Through all the coups and political turmoil, history has told me it is common practice here. I always felt safe (with the exception of the jet ski thugs) here even through all the turmoil, but something seems different now.

What was once small aberrations has become commonplace. Where visitors had been honored they are now being victimized more often than ever.

Is the golden goose laying her last eggs?

Gone are the days when the tourist could enjoy a holiday in Thailand with out the worry of being hit on by the BIB. Thankfully there are plenty of other great places to visit that are happy to see us.

Clearly you were not around in the 1980s when the police would raid the guesthouses behind Somphet Market early in the AM searching for drugs. And they always had the English-speaking German in tow to negotiate pricing when they caught someone.

The USA now has a passport card that you can purchase when you renew your passport, as I did this year. It is the same size as a driver's license or credit card. It has all the fancy holograms and such in the card and is laminated.

I carry this card; however, I reckon it might not hurt to carry a copy of your most recent visa entry stamp as well.

I have never been stopped for a passport check so I don't know the reaction I will have when one is requested.

I was hoping that Thailand was getting modernized, but I stand corrected.

I seldom pack my passport when I travelled around Thailand. I did have a photo copy

of passport and visa, and luckily had my international drivers license with me on one

check stop. Only being allowed into Thailand for 30 days without a visa is old fashioned.

I could have stayed in Mexico for up to 90 days without even a visa. Thailand

get with the times! You will be losing more international travellers if you do not wake

up and modernize.

Archived