Chiang Mai: 100 armed police arrest foreigners for not carrying passports

rooster59

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first reaction was like many others, completely unnecessary and over dramatic. Then when I saw it was at Zoe...laughed . I see and deal with tourists all the time.In the daytime and at night. Most are very calm polite and respectful.Except at that slum Zoe . The human waste that gathers there at night are the bottom feeders. Drunks looking for fights,starting trouble,looking for drugs,forieghn guys and girls on their knees drunk/high out of their puny little minds puking in the street,acting like animals...etc.I've walked past there at night and seen all of that and worse.It's no wonder Thais are disgusted with tourists. So if the bibs are going to pull a stunt like that ,this is the place to do it.Good.

try to write in english that is understandable to the rest of us "english" speakers! what the hell is a bog?

Tallguy-you are obviously an educated and refined gentleman, although obviously not English public school educated, as if you were you would know that it is the common slang for what in polite circles is called a lavatory.

I must apologise for the low lifes that inhabit this forum with their crudeness in trying to explain to you what a "bog" is.

As Monty Python might say, this is getting too silly.

Let's not get bogged down on something so far off the original and important topic.

The government only recently stated that it was not necessary to carry passports or even copies. You have 24 hours to produce one if asked. Again totally irrational and confusing behaviour by the authorities. Probably some d...head local commander trying to flex his muscles and screwing up Thailand's image yet again. He will no doubt be transferred way down near the Malaysian border somewhere.

Better to inconvenience people for a short time, than have some fanatic bomb the place. Okay, it seemed an overkill, but the world is becoming more and more dangerous. Thailand will not be an exception if terrorists decide to target tourist areas. They only have to get lucky once.

If you had ambition to kill and maim you would hardly choose Zoe.It would be Worrawot Market, a Shopping Centre or the Sunday Night Walking St Market.

This maybe is more about an attack on Zoe's survival as a business.Apparently there has been harrassment before ,not my scene but others confirm that fact.

The government only recently stated that it was not necessary to carry passports or even copies. You have 24 hours to produce one if asked. Again totally irrational and confusing behaviour by the authorities. Probably some d...head local commander trying to flex his muscles and screwing up Thailand's image yet again. He will no doubt be transferred way down near the Malaysian border somewhere.

Thanks, tigermoth!

I seem to recall reading the same thing in the recent past, so that sounds right to me.

Do you happen to have a link so we may get more details and a better sense of reassurance? I know that you may have stored the info in your mind without bookmarking it or perhaps you got it someplace other than the Internet.

The Zoe raid, as one poster has pointed out, may be much more about the place's reputation and the perceived possibility of who they would catch in their net.

Anyway, thanks again!

I hope this makes the international press, as it will be another nail in Thailand's tourist coffin. Assault rifles to check for passports? W.T.F.?

The number of times I have read that coffin comment.......the coffin must weigh a ton by now...but keeps on floating

A bit along the lines of how do you sink a Thai battleship?

Put it in water. 1503456.GIF

Thanks, tigermoth!

I seem to recall reading the same thing in the recent past, so that sounds right to me.

Do you happen to have a link so we may get more details and a better sense of reassurance? I know that you may have stored the info in your mind without bookmarking it or perhaps you got it someplace other than the Internet.

The Zoe raid, as one poster has pointed out, may be much more about the place's reputation and the perceived possibility of who they would catch in their net.

Anyway, thanks again!

Te article that is being referred to is at https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/ This article is quoting Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit who was arrested for carrying a firearm on a plane into Japan. He was dismissed from his position. http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/118360

I don't think you would want to put any credence into what is being rumored about NOT caring your passport. Its the law in Thailand.

Rambo is Back. What a picture. The crazy Thai continue to make fools of themselves. The whole world is laughing at this beautiful country. Happy G. Cant be all that happy anymore. I am sad that Thailand and its inhabitants continues to be ridiculed. The normal Thai people do not deserve this.

Regarding this latest situation, someone really needs to make it explicitly clear what one has to have in one's possession whilst out and about. I, as one of the arrested elderly folk from the bridge club earlier this month, had a laminated copy of my passport with visa details on the back, it was accepted by the arresting officers and it was only when I went to sort out the final (?) paperwork at the station that I handed over the original for inspection.

Something's going on out there, not sure what it is, but it certainly isn't helping anybody. As for the 31 detainees, we are still at large and awaiting our day in Court, but...........

derekjw

hello tigermoth, Do you have a link to this news post? I am interested to see this.

I don't think you would want to put any credence into what is being rumored about NOT caring your passport. Its the law in Thailand.

Again, no one has come up with a definitive link that having a 'passport' on you is required. The act stipulates having ID. Yes, I know that it does not show your legal status but a copy does. As for rumors, you might want to contact Samut Prakan immigration to inform them they are wrong regarding carrying a PP. This is on their front page. http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/

Q. Do I have to carry my passport at all times?

A. Foreigners must carry their passport or a photocopy at all times. If they go away somewhere overnight, they should also take their passport. For photocopies, you need to show the photo page and the latest extension of stay. Violators could be detained and told to pay a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht.

The final sentence of the City News report says

All the tourists who did not have their passport with them were taken to Chiang Mai police station and processed.

In Thai police parlance, I don't know what "processed" means.... clearly detained... arrested, apparently... charged, not clear...

Not obvious what they are referring to regarding 'processed'. If some had zero form of ID on them then I can see going through the whole procedure.

I think that it means that the reporter heard some people got taken to the Police station and he had no idea what happened to them, so he just wrote "processed"

hello tigermoth, Do you have a link to this news post? I am interested to see this.

Do a web search .

A Policeman recently stated that all foreigners must carry their passports with them at all times .

A few days later a higher ranking Policeman stated that foreigners do NOT have to carry their passports with them at all times, they just have to have access to it

Hmmm.....another nail in the tourism coffin I suspect

This cracks me up. Millions of tourists frantically looking for a substitute country on the miniscule chance they may have to show a passport... W O N T Happen

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

As I've already stated, I've already decided to divert 10 people to Cambodia in September instead of Thailand. While this isn't the only reason, it's the icing on the cake.

Thailand is just rubbish at the moment, and if they want to treat tourists like children or criminals, good luck with that.

They won't be doing it to me.

A Policeman recently stated that all foreigners must carry their passports with them at all times .

A few days later a higher ranking Policeman stated that foreigners do NOT have to carry their passports with them at all times, they just have to have access to it

Like the Thai police know anything about Thai laws.

They're mostly gangsters, in uniforms, collecting bribes.

In fact, come to think about it,

How many Thais have you met that know anything about their jobs? ....... almost none.

Like the Thai police know anything about Thai laws.

They're mostly gangsters, in uniforms, collecting bribes.

In fact, come to think about it,

How many Thais have you met that know anything about their jobs? ....... almost none.

That was an official statement from a top cop stating Thai policy regarding passports.

About the photo in the OP,

How I would love to tease that guy until he fired into the crowd .......... now that would be fun!

You would enjoy provoking someone with a gun to carry out a massacre of innocent people?

Did you enjoy watching the Paris attacks ?

Here's a link to the Thai law talking about passports. You don't have your passport, they have the right to arrest you. This is a translation, but the best I've been able to find.

http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/immigration-law-mejesty.html

Chapter 7
Miscellaneous

Section 57 : For the purpose of Chapter 7 miscellaneous ; whoever claims his nationality is Thai and if there is not enough evidence for the competent official to believe that he has Thai nationality , it is presumed that such a person is an alien until he can prove other wise.

An application for proof of nationality under Para.1 of this Section will be submitted to the competent official in the accordance with the form and fees as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations. If such person does not satisfy the competent official’s order , he may apply to the Court asking for consideration.

In the case where there is an application to the Court upon receiving and application, the Court shall notify the Public Prosecutor, who may, in turn, have a right for objection thereto.

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

Section 60 : In any area where the Minister deems it proper to grant exemption from payment of any fees under this Act, he shall have the authority to do so by making public notification in the Government Gazette.

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both.

That was an official statement from a top cop stating Thai policy regarding passports.

The problem being, most Thai officials bought their jobs with money or family influence.

The higher they get, the less competent they get (if that's humanly possible).

Next you'll be claiming the general and his cabinet know how to run a country!

The problem being, most Thai officials bought their jobs with money or family influence.

The higher they get, the less competent they get (if that's humanly possible).

Next you'll be claiming the general and his cabinet know how to run a country!

The manner in which he got his job and position is bedsides the point .

The fact is he is the highest ranking Policeman to make a comment on this and he has over ruled his subordinates , and these are the rules in which he must adhere too

This cracks me up. Millions of tourists frantically looking for a substitute country on the miniscule chance they may have to show a passport... W O N T Happen

As I've already stated, I've already decided to divert 10 people to Cambodia in September instead of Thailand. While this isn't the only reason, it's the icing on the cake.

Thailand is just rubbish at the moment, and if they want to treat tourists like children or criminals, good luck with that.

Your overreacting, do the math millions of tourists and 130 combined in Pattaya and CM asked for I'd. You've got better odds being struck by lightning on the golf course.

I hope you didn't convince the 10 they are in immediate danger. I bet Cambodia was not their first choice

Regarding this latest situation, someone really needs to make it explicitly clear what one has to have in one's possession whilst out and about. I, as one of the arrested elderly folk from the bridge club earlier this month, had a laminated copy of my passport with visa details on the back, it was accepted by the arresting officers and it was only when I went to sort out the final (?) paperwork at the station that I handed over the original for inspection.

Something's going on out there, not sure what it is, but it certainly isn't helping anybody. As for the 31 detainees, we are still at large and awaiting our day in Court, but...........

derekjw

What are you getting charged with ?

The military guy with the assault rifle reflects very bad planning. RTP could have such firepower on standby but kept them in a covered vehicle and out of camera shot. But the image looks so bad.

I think the RTP is acting on security orders, which were passed on to the RTP by a security boss Jan. 29 (as per news item) after receiving the U.S. warning. There will be more ID checks, for sure.

I would suggest to the commenter laughing at the idea of tourists reconsidering their Thailand travel plans due to a demand they carry their passports is a situation that signals a very real issue because it implies civil security problems. Not good for tourism.

As for diversions to Cambodia: In the last 15 months, I've visited Siem Reap 3 times and Phnom Penh 4-5 times. Everyone I met is a former tourist/expat resident who has chosen to dismiss Thailand entirely or cut short their visits and moved on to Cambodia. As stated by some, there is not just one reason but many, including visa troubles. But both cities are teeming with foreigners who have said their goodbyes to Thailand.

Totally OTT and frankly outrageous behaviour in a supposedly civilised country - Thailand is firmly in reverse gear and my wife and I are firmly headed back to the UK in a few weeks as a result.

Goodbye Thailand and we wish Thais all the best in their bleak future.................

wai2.gif Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you react if implementing a raid where X is the unknown factor? Do you know how civilised countries' security forces arm themselves when undertaking similar type raids? If you bothered to check you might think they too are OTT and their actions outrageous. Why is it outrageous, did they assault anyone or place them in harms way.

Maybe there are more reasons for your move then what you are now presenting. Have a safe trip and hope the UK doesn't allow their security forces to act in this manner otherwise, we might see you back here whinging again. Oh, I forgot, they too arm themselves in the same manner. Crikey, where will you go next. wai2.gif

The military guy with the assault rifle reflects very bad planning. RTP could have such firepower on standby but kept them in a covered vehicle and out of camera shot. But the image looks so bad.

I think the RTP is acting on security orders, which were passed on to the RTP by a security boss Jan. 29 (as per news item) after receiving the U.S. warning. There will be more ID checks, for sure.

I would suggest to the commenter laughing at the idea of tourists reconsidering their Thailand travel plans due to a demand they carry their passports is a situation that signals a very real issue because it implies civil security problems. Not good for tourism.

As for diversions to Cambodia: In the last 15 months, I've visited Siem Reap 3 times and Phnom Penh 4-5 times. Everyone I met is a former tourist/expat resident who has chosen to dismiss Thailand entirely or cut short their visits and moved on to Cambodia. As stated by some, there is not just one reason but many, including visa troubles. But both cities are teeming with foreigners who have said their goodbyes to Thailand.

Where do you actually live?

It seems that to some , the penny never drops, that we are not actually liked here.

It also seems to many of us who live in Thailand and probably in rural areas that we actually ARE liked here.

We play the game by Thai rules and have no hassle at at but there are quite a few that don't and whine if they are caught breaking the rules.

Has the penny dropped for you yet?

In my own village, I assume I'm liked well enough my most. Called Luang (Uncle) by most except the elderly, wai'ed by most, acknowledged while walking or driving down the road by most, some stop for a chat. Life in the village is different, other than after the Erawan bombing when some plain-clothed cops from Chiang Mai showed up in our village (our front-gate) to make sure the farang had been staying in the village.

"Don't mind the growling dogs, they won't bite. Come on in...."

'Mai ow, krap!'

It was a short visit.

Archived