why people are so slim in Thailand?

VIPinasia

just landed this morning at bkk airport.

direct flight from the USA.

my god, everybody are so nice, slim, and the ladies, wooooow. so sessy like in Mexico.

why people are not over weight or fat like in my sweet home country.?

I think I will relinquish my USA citizenship soon. :)

Women are slimmer in Indonesia in my experience....... But sadly like many countries as their income increases they have greater access to a diet fuller of sugar and fats that soon cause obesity as we see in the west and now become a major health concern

32.2 kg average weight for Thai?

No I think that means that 32.2 percent of Thais are overweight or obese. COMBINED.

I'm certain the obesity level itself isn't that high here yet.

Clinically overweight and obesity are not the same.

In lay terms, obese is more fat than overweight, and morbidly obese is what it sounds like.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something which is hardly ever mentioned on these topics - visually slim people can actually be overweight and sometimes obese if we're using bodyfat percentage to assess fatness. Unfortunately these studies use the lazy and cheap method - BMI. The reverse is also true. Many people with more than average muscle mass will be put in the obese categories.

Why are people so obese in the USA? Hint: think about what they eat and how much time they spend indoors and inactive. Hint2: this is why Thai people are slim.

There is a strong correlation between climate and body type. The more you eat, the more heat the body produces. Also the ratio of core thickness to skin surface area makes big people far more inefficient at cooling and more efficient at staying warm. As a regular gym goer in many countries, I was quite surprised at how weak most SE Asian people are in the gym - indicating they're not carrying a lot of muscle. They are well adapted to a hot climate and staying lean is key. You'll probably find the fatties are the richer population group who can afford more junk food and spend more time in air conditioning doing nothing useful.

Why are people so obese in the USA? Hint: think about what they eat and how much time they spend indoors and inactive. Hint2: this is why Thai people are slim.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif How long have you been in Thailand?

Now about 26 years in Thailand!

There is a strong correlation between climate and body type. The more you eat, the more heat the body produces. Also the ratio of core thickness to skin surface area makes big people far more inefficient at cooling and more efficient at staying warm. As a regular gym goer in many countries, I was quite surprised at how weak most SE Asian people are in the gym - indicating they're not carrying a lot of muscle. They are well adapted to a hot climate and staying lean is key. You'll probably find the fatties are the richer population group who can afford more junk food and spend more time in air conditioning doing nothing useful.

Or maybe they just don't go to the gym to build pointless muscle mass like some people in the west do?

Or maybe they just don't go to the gym to build pointless muscle mass like some people in the west do?

Muscle mass is not pointless, but that's beside the point and another topicsmile.png ... My point is that Thais (and SE Asians in general) naturally don't carry much muscle mass and have a very difficult time building it - not for want of trying.

Muscle mass is not pointless, but that's beside the point and another topicsmile.png ... My point is that Thais (and SE Asians in general) naturally don't carry much muscle mass and have a very difficult time building it - not for want of trying.

I have joined a gym again and I have to agree there are few real muscular Thais there. But there are a few genetics are quite important and some really train good. Those that train good and eat good do get results. I am one of the biggest there if not the biggest, though I am by no means real muscular compared to real bodybuilders. I am certainly the strongest over there deadlift and benchpress wise.

I don't believe its only because I am training so much better, just lucky with my body type for getting muscle.

Almost all go to the gym there to gain muscle.. or at least a large portion does. I get questions all the time (hard to answer because my Thai is not good enough to explain it all). I must say that one fault (or i think its a fault) that i see that many are doing many isolation exercises instead of compound ones with heavy weights.

Though I do see some doing deadlifts there (there even is a good deadlift platform) but I constantly see the trainers showing isolation exercises. I think Isolation exercises are fine once you got some muscle.. but first compounds.

• 2 weeks later...

i think there is certainly an increase of fat people in Thailand. With Western Fast Foods coming into the country it is bound to happen. I been coming to Thailand off and on for about 7 years and I see more and more fat, chubby people each year but certainly not as much as Canada or United States where being fat is actually starting to become normal. Many people in the West are overweight and they don't even think they are, It blows my mind when I head back home to see the difference in people then in the past.

I remember watching a weight watcher ad several years ago where they have very skinny ladies walking down the street and the ad saying you can look this good too, join weight watchers etc

Now the Weight Watchers ad I saw last year had 3 overweight women walking down the street acting all proud and sexy because they just lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks from the program (which by the way can easily just be water weight and they still needed to lose a good 50), just goes to show how companies know now that the average western is overweight so promoting that majority of the population means more money!

BTW I have nothing against fat, skinny, tubby whatever, though it is obvious that being too fat or too skinny can increase your chances for health problems etc... which i am sure is no surprise to anyone here

Archived