Crossing borders with a motobike and no license

Mathis

Hello everyone,

I allowed myself to open a topic as I would like to buy a motobike in Chiang Rai and get to Lao very soon. I don't hold a driving license though (yeah, I know, it's not legal, responsible, moral, ...). If I didn't have real troubles in Thailand, I've heard that Laotian authorities are pretty tighter on Farangs not having a license. Once again, I know it's not the most sensitive thing to do, but travelling by bike is the best way for me to get insights into village cultures and get to meet people from there, and it would be a pity not to do it out of administrative reasons. This leads me to the following questions :

-Are foreigners systematically controlled at Laotian borders when coming from Thailand with a bike ? If so, are they automatically refused the access to the country ?

-Does anyone know how much I might be fined if caught by the police ? I'm ready to pay the price is fines are not too high.

Many thanks to whoever can helpin this respect (come on, we all did that at least once in Thailand).

Best regards,

Mathis.

Instead of being happy to pay the fines, maybe it's time you got yourself a license.

What happens if you kill someone? Insurance would be invalid at the very least.

Many thanks to whoever can helpin this respect (come on, we all did that at least once in Thailand).

I didn't. There is a reason 40 people die every day on the roads in Thailand. Mostly on two wheels. I took one look at the craziness on the roads in an around Phuket and I rented a car. And I had the correct license and an international driving license.

You might be better off posting in the Bike forum.

I can't remember where and if I was checked entering at Pakse/Chong Mek

I would say that you will be fine as the paperwork is mostly about customs, and temporary import and not about your driving license.

Maybe someone can let you know about the other borders.

Before anyone else starts, I understand the OP.

The only Thai license that can be used outside the country is a 5 year full license.

At the moment he can only get a 2 year temp license and after the ( is it one year or two less 2 months ) period can apply for a full ticket.

Even then he needs a non-o visa and battle his entitlement with the local DLT.

Does the OP have a bike license from his own country he could exchange ?

Maybe you should go get a 2 year temp to get things moving, I put it off for so many years myself.

On a side note, I just had a long weekend camping in Malaysia and they have the JPJ ( the DLT equivalent ) at all borders, this time I was asked to produce my license before they would process my entry paperwork.

The guys had great English skills and I asked them about the validity of Thai licenses, they didn't know the differences in the two licenses.

Anyway, give it a go, try it ! Some call it irresponsible others call it adventure.

PS make sure the bike is over 150cc - laos doesn't allow bikes under to cross the border.

I never had issues with Lao police on the ground.

I hope you have deep pockets or know someone that would be happy to bail you out.

I wouldn't be concerned about fines & bribes in getting around Thailand. They're going to be small change compared to a hospital stay and/or damages you face in the event of a half-decent accident - whilst you're completely uninsured.

I hope you have deep pockets or know someone that would be happy to bail you out.

I wouldn't be concerned about fines & bribes in getting around Thailand. They're going to be small change compared to a hospital stay and/or damages you face in the event of a half-decent accident - whilst you're completely uninsured.

Agree with the above and love the OP's phrase 'Administrative reasons' Classic!

Tell that to the judge!

...And in a few weeks his family will be begging online for donations to help with his hospital bills and transport back to his country (or to bail him out of jail!). I understand the sense of adventure, but real adventure means one is prepared for ALL eventualities DELETED

I wish you safe driving with no accidents....but however...if a car or motorbike does hit you let's pray that he has taken more care than you intend to and has all his papers in order...at least then you won't be left wondering how you , or your family,are going to pay any hospital bilsl....his insurance will cover that.

What vexes me about people with attitudes like yours is this......I see many motorcyclists with no helmets, papers etc.,they (I presume) have no desire to die in an accident so they rely on good diligence and care from other vehicle users to watch out for them and avoid hitting them.....but they make no effort to take care of themselves.

And if you want to take your motorbike out of thailand you will require the correct paper work for it like a passport

And buy a insurance on the Lao side, to get a insurance you have to show you're drivers licence.

Getting into a accident with hospitalisation ??? no insurance would pay for you're damages....!!!

You'll be forced to beg in TV for people to donate money to pay the hospital costs and repatriation to you're country.....!!!

Regards.....

You can take a motorbike into Laos without any problems. When you leave Thailand you will have to complete some forms so that you can re-import the bike on your return. You will need to have the Green Book with you, of course.

Nobody will ask you for a drivers license either on the Thai side or Laos side.

As someone has already pointed out, you do need a drivers license to buy insurance once you cross into Laos.

I don't know how much the fine would be, but if it is anything like Cambodia it will be hardly anything. Around $2 to $4.

Good luck on your adventure!

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for the insightful advices there, though I find it quite interesting that some take more time to make sarcastic comments than being helpful or simply stating their opinion quietly. I understand my project may not tally some values, but is it a reason to get that contemptuous ? Well, whatever.

I know this message might sound like it was written by an "immature moron", but I've been riding a motobike for quite some time here in Thailand, I'm EXTREMELY careful on the road, and I'm covered in case of accidents (yeah, French insurances are one of the only cool things about this country).

But once again, thank you a lot for the information and warning about the risks I'm taking towards myself and the people. I'll think about it and work it out.

And I also forgot to ask (my bad) if I have any possibility to get a moto driving license here in Chiang Rai, so that I won't go against any law and travel more responsabily ?

Thanks and have great day guys,

Regards,

Mathis

there are issues on getting a thai. motorcycle license from scratch.

you have close two a two month wait to apply for a motorcycle license at most land transport offices.

i applied in jan. and the earliest date they could give me was 23 march.

sometimes people with good meaning are forced into driving with out a license as it takes so long to get a booking to get one.

what are you to do when there is no bus or taxi service in your area and if you find a taxi you have to hope he is willing to

take you where you want to go!!!!

Yeah, I see. Might be tricky indeed. I feel I may well have to opt for a bicyle instead. Not as fast but definitely more of an hassle-free solution given most accounts and information I was able to collect here.

Ok, well I think that's enough information for me. Many thanks for your help,

Take care,

Mathis

Anyway, give it a go, try it ! Some call it irresponsible others call it adventure.

How about responsible adventure just by getting a driving license and insurance! I don't have a problem with the op maiming himself and being unable to pay for him hospital bills through his own stupidity. It's everybody else he puts at risk by being uninsured etc.

sometimes people with good meaning are forced into driving without a license as it takes so long to get a booking to get one.

Nobody is "forced" into driving without a license. They just choose to ride a bike illegally while they are waiting to get a license with the risks that have been mentioned. There wouldn’t be a visa system to get to the UK if everybody could just go to the UK without one while they are "waiting" to get a visa.

You can be the most careful bike rider in the world and still have a very nasty accident if a pickup or a bus hits you up the rear. And I think most of us on in here know how bad the roads and the drivers in Thailand can be.

(yeah, French insurances are one of the only cool things about this country).

Hmm. I have a feeling that even the French insurance companies would ask for your driving license if you have an accident.

My GF came off her motorbike when she was last back in Thailand. No protective gear and no crash helmet. She cut her leg quite badly and has some nice scars to prove it. If she needs to go somewhere when she is at home, she gets a taxi.

A bike is a much better idea and much healthier for everybody. Some really good electric bikes out there now to help you up the hills. biggrin.png

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

Yeah, it's all set up now, thanks for the information. But you know, your statement wouldn't be less clever without using words that put my mental condition into question. Or is it only the way people address each other here ? I'm new to this forum, but just a little bit of kindness and the world (and this forum) will definitely be a better place dude smile.png

Cheers,

Mathis.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that and I am sorry. It bugs me when others do it. I just didn’t think that driving without a motorbike license was the best idea in the world.

It's also a "very close to home thing" right now too. The GFs 13 year old has recently announced he won’t be going to school unless his mum buys him a motorbike because his 19 year old friend has one.

I wouldn't question your mental condition.......but just which part of 'no licence, no insurance' do you find difficult to understand.

I was addressing the person who posted before you.And if you scroll up this thread, you'll see the question is all set up now.

Have a good evening,

Regards,

Mathis.

When you travel by motorbike you face all kinds of risk, having a license and having insurance isn't going to save you . ( BTW Mathis, Neither will driving safely, it will always be someone else's fault )

Driving with insurance purchased in the border isn't going to protect you, the 800B insurance you buy at the border isn't going to get you repatriated to Thailand, I would question if it's nothing more than cover for a 3rd party.

So, why all the negative comments ? There's all this talk about the third party, hell, someone takes you out here, then you will be the third party and the chances of them having insurance is pretty slim.

When I first came here, boats were the main transport in Laos, other than that people were running dirt bikes and bribing military with whisky and cigarettes to access parts, it was called adventure .. Insurance ? Didn't exist ..

Isn't the OP entitled to his adventure ?

Anyway, I suggest you crack on and do the test, there's no excuse, not all centers have a 2 month waiting list.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that and I am sorry. It bugs me when others do it. I just didn’t think that driving without a motorbike license was the best idea in the world.

It's also a "very close to home thing" right now too. The GFs 13 year old has recently announced he won’t be going to school unless his mum buys him a motorbike because his 19 year old friend has one.

It's wonderful when the kids turn into the parents and the parents turn into the kids.

Have a happy future!!!!!

Many thanks for your message. I'll check out tomorrow. I definitely need to be careful,,whatever the mean of transport (though taking a bus or a mini-van) can be even more dangerous. There's a place where I may get a license, will check it out. Otherwise, I'll go for the bicycle :)

Archived