Chinese tourists injured as runaway Phuket tour bus crashes on Patong Hill

webfact

Chinese tourists injured as runaway Phuket tour bus crashes on Patong Hill
Eakkapop Thongtub

1456153615_1-org.jpg
At least 10 Chinese tourists were injured in the crash, at the base of Patong Hill. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A runaway tour bus carrying Chinese tourists crashed at the bottom Patong Hill little before 9pm, plunging the area into darkness.

The Phuket News saw at least four ambulances dispatched to the scene.

Police have confirmed that at least 17 tourists* have been rushed to hospital for treatment of injuries, though no description of how serious the injuries were was not given.

The bus stopped after slamming into a power pole in the sidestreet beside Patong temple. The concrete power pole was broken into two by the force of the impact.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourists-injured-as-runaway-phuket-tour-bus-crashes-on-patong-hill-56313.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-23

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know its completely confounding me why tourists still flock to Thailand given the safety record. Moreover why do they continue to use these overnight death traps given the safety record which is well enough documented ! And the BIG question, Why is nothing ever done to guarantee both Thai and foreign safety in this country when it comes to road use and travel ?

You know its completely confounding me why tourists still flock to Thailand given the safety record. Moreover why do they continue to use these overnight death traps given the safety record which is well enough documented ! And the BIG question, Why is nothing ever done to guarantee both Thai and foreign safety in this country when it comes to road use and travel ?

What overnight death traps? Are you suggesting they make sure that after any tour they make sure they're back in their hotel at 18.00 hours?

RIP mr. Somphon.

The bus is labeled a 'runaway' bus but nowhere in the original article does it say why. What was the driver running away from, if anything ? This is such BAD journalism, and so typical of our utterly mediocre local press.

What overnight death traps? Are you suggesting they make sure that after any tour they make sure they're back in their hotel at 18.00 hours?

RIP mr. Somphon.

you forgot the kamphang phet night crash last week? i didnt, i drove past it while they were still hosing the 2 burmese's blood out of the top deck. photo and video on fb if you need proof.

I believe in other countries, even if they made a deliberate effort to select the very worst bus drivers, they would not be able to match the incredible crash rate of Thai buses. One wonders how the drivers can be so so bad at driving.

RIP mr. Somphon.

you forgot the kamphang phet night crash last week? i didnt, i drove past it while they were still hosing the 2 burmese's blood out of the top deck. photo and video on fb if you need proof.

So you don't like overnight buses. This accident had nothing to do with overnight buses.

Nineteen Chinese tourists injured in Phuket bus crash

230218-wpcf_728x410.jpg

PHUKET: -- Nineteen Chinese tourists were injured as a runaway tour bus carrying about 30 Chinese tourists crashed into a power pole and house fence at the base of Patong Hill.

The incident at about 9 pm last night blacked out electricity in the Patong beach area for hours before it could be restored.

At least 19 tourists were rushed to hospital for treatment of injuries by four ambulances, 10 were slightly injured.

The bus was taking the tourists back to their hotel in Patong and was running downhill when the accident happened. They were returning from a tour of the Similan Islands and had boarded the bus in Phang Nga, according to Thephuketnews.

It lost control at a curve and slammed into a power pole in the side road beside Patong temple. The concrete power pole was broken into two by the force of the impact.

All the streetlights along the northern side of Phra Baramee road were blacked out all the way to the Caltex petrol station in Kathu district.

Police said the bus was operated by Phuket Smile Tour.

Bus driver Somphon Plotchaikwang, 41, was taken to hospital by rescue workers but he was later confirmed dead on arrival.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151948

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-23

Patong hill bus crash driver dies on way to Phuket hospital
The Phuket News

1456197313_1-org.jpg
The bus stopped after slamming into a power pole in the sidestreet beside Patong temple. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub.

PHUKET: -- The driver of the bus that crashed at the bottom of Patong hill last night (Feb 22) was pronounced dead upon arrival at Patong Hospital The Phuket News has learned today (Feb 23).

Following the accident, police confirmed that at least 17 tourists had been taken to hospital, along with the diver, 40-year-old Jeerasak Kimbuathong from Krabi, for treatment of injuries, though no description of how serious the injuries were was given.

The bus stopped after slamming into a power pole in the sidestreet beside Patong temple. The concrete power pole was broken into two by the force of the impact.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-hill-bus-crash-driver-dies-on-way-to-phuket-hospital-56315.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-23

Archived