Phayao villagers worship 5 metre long 'guardian spirit' python

webfact

Phayao villagers worship 5 metre long 'guardian spirit' python

cr.jpg

PHAYAO: -- Locals from a village in Phayao have began worshipping a 5 metre long python that has made a roadside water pipe its home.

The snake was first spotted by the side of the road on February 17th in Chiangkam village and has been there ever since.

Whilst some people are said to have been concerned about the threat the large snake poses to children and animals, others claim that the python is in fact a guardian spirit sent to protect the local village.

Some locals even went to the trouble of constructing a sign close to site where python stays which reads ‘Do not harm’. Others are said to visit the python daily, worshiping and making merit in the belief the creature will protect them and bring them good luck.

However, local village chief Noparit Sirikosol said that he had received reports about the python and was also concerned about the presence of the snake so close to the village. He warned locals that officials are planning to return the snake back to the jungle.

Source: Khaosod

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-25

People the world over believe in some pretty amazing things. This is just one of many. No need to call anyone an idiot, unless of course someone is looking in the mirror.

I agree. I try to Live and Let Live. It's their country, their beliefs and their business.

"Nothing to see here. Move on please".

I agree that if people want to worship animals, let them do it. My only thought is about the animal, in this case the python. Does it realise it's being worshiped? If it has only just had feed it could lay dormant for days, or if the food was large enough, weeks until digesting is complete. After that it'll look for more food in which case the villagers might change their opinion and that could endanger the snake so I hope the authorities catch it first and replace it in a jungle somewhere.

funny thing in this country, superstition/luck/belief. went to the temple yesterday, lady friends birthday,got blessed etc, had to pull a ping pong ball out of a vase, i drew number 1,wow the best thing since sliced bread,gonna win a court case, gonna get married soon and have a baby daughter (yeah right),meanwhile she drew number 23, bloody ell, she got some bad new coming this year, but it is all going to be good next year., good job i believe you make your own luck.poor girl was distraught.

Archived