Chinese RV arrivals in Phuket spur talks on total ban

snoop1130

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"calling for direction in what to do with the new-age travelling Chinese tourists."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

they are so completely unaware of the outside world. everything is a "fear" "control" "ban" reaction to anything "new".

from 2010:

Commemorating 100 Years of the RV

For almost as long as there have been automobiles, recreational vehicles have been traversing America.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/commemorating-100-years-of-the-rv-56915006/?no-ist

One of these backward thinking council members really need to visit a nearby country and do a bit of research into these RV vehicles. I suggest a trip to Australia where there many thousands of them moving around the country at any given time. Its an excellent way to see the countryside, parks would soon spring up.

Is it also ilegal to camp out in tents? These people are also taking money away from hotels.

My initial thoughts exactly.

My family loves to camp and usually goes to National Parks here in Thailand to do so.

I hope they don't ban camping next.

But really, I doubt the government will ban RV's.

Banning them is probably just a knee jerk reaction thought.

Better to just tax them somehow and build some parks for them IMO.

RV'ing is a massive and very profitable business in the West. If handled properly, it can help tourism significantly. There are problems associated with these vehicles, but that can be dealt with.

Thailand is not setup for RVs. The roads are not the best, there's no place to "camp", etc. I have a hard enough time getting my Honda City around some streets. Would hate to try that with an RV! LOL

Funny, in Jurrumanee they do the opposit and build free parkingplaces with water/electricity for mobile homes only....

There they like to get the rich people with mobile homes.

And many europeans go to Australia/New Zealand/Canada/USA to rent one and travel around.

Thailand is soo far behind.

Taxidrivers are still allowed to sleep in their taxi's under a bridge. And many people dump all their gargbage just around the roads in BKK. Huge binbags, mattresses, sofa's everything.

Modified vehicles are illegal? What about every songthaew on the road in Thailand, many tuktuks, pickups with Carryboys, souped up cars of all types, salaengs, no doubt many more. Will these be banned as well?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Please it's too early to laugh cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

For Australians, caravans and RVs similar to the one pictured in the OP, are extremely common and to be found all over the country. It's a valid retirement plan for "Grey Nomads" is to buy a rig and set out for several years to "do a lap" (circle the country), or follow the sun by heading to the north in winter (Seagulls). There are very few American style, large buses converted into luxury apartments on wheels, in Australia.

Virtually every Australian town of any size has a caravan park with full facilities, including sewage disposal. If you try to overnight at a tourist spot or beach, the police will move you on.

Phuket doesn't have parks for this style of tourism, and it would be of concern if more and more Chinese started parking at beaches here. They do not have a good reputation for hygiene nor cleanliness. How they dispose of their raw sewage is of great concern. Also, I noticed the RV pictured is left hand drive, which means the door to the living area opens into the traffic, an extremely dangerous modification in this country!

The lack of facilities on Phuket, the dangerous mountain passes, the idiotic traffic conditions and the narrow roads away from the main link roads combine to make the Island an unsuitable place for this type of tourism.

Perhaps there is an opening to establish a large RV park (instead of yet another latex outlet!) which the Chinese could use as a base to tour locally. However, currently I feel there is no place for RVs here and banning could be an option.

Of course this would fly in the face of the love affair Thailand now has with China!

“Certainly, these RVs are considered illegal according to the Land Transport Act of Thailand because they are modified vehicles...

So what do the the Land Transport Office plan to do with the thousands of modified pickup trucks delivering fruit and veg from north and central Thailand daily to BK,,, these guys seriously need to be removed from office clap2.gif clap2.gif

"“Certainly, these RVs are considered illegal according to the Land Transport Act of Thailand because they are modified vehicles, but tourists are allowed to enter the country with these vehicles and drive on our roads up to six months under the protection of the Customs Act, which acknowledges a vehicle as personal belonging,” he explained."

​Strange because I saw high end RV's (one self propelled) on sale at a demonstration at Mega Bangna this week. One of the larger trailer type versions was selling for just over 3 million baht! Didn't see the price on the self propelled version but its probably much more.

V/Gov Prajiad raised the legality of RVs in Thailand

Apparently there are several RV rental businesses in Thailand. For example:

http://tielandtothailand.com/exploring-thailands-countryside-with-campervan-thai/

http://www.campermotorhomerental.com/index.php/en/

RVs are also being manufactured in Thailand since 2012 by Siam Motor Home Co., Ltd. of Thailand in a joint venture with Para Coat Products Ltd. of India and Van Tech Co. Ltd. of Japan.

Perhaps a simple call to the Minister of Commerce or Transportation can clarify Prajiad's concern. wai2.gif

The only reason officials are concerned about these RVs is no money being handed over.

lol of course you are correct, if they come in a car they can park in a legal space but if they come in their minivan they are parking illegally, these people constantly make fools of themselves - ban them from Phuket - good idea

a small mind can only consider stupidity

Archived