Chinese RV arrivals in Phuket spur talks on total ban

snoop1130

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered why we see few RVs in Thailand. Now it's all clear to me. Modified vehicles ??

That nukes my long time of idea of buying an RV and meandering through Thailand.

For any changes to vehicles in Thailand all you have to do is go to the DLT and have them check, apprive and note in the blue book. That includes carryboys, colour change, etc.

“Certainly, these RVs are considered illegal according to the Land Transport Act of Thailand because they are modified vehicles...

Thai definition of modifications: Its legal as long as it is made, owned and operated by us!

Note the official license plate on the piece of junk below

legal-modifications_350_zpsbdkgzyaa.png

What do you expect, they are Chinese! Not the saviors of tourism.

Who, in your opinion, are the saviors of tourism?

The only reason this topic has come to light is probably because some hotelier complained that his occupancy rates (=profit) would drop dramatically if tourists were allowed to take their RVs.

Hence the "emergency meeting".

While driving from Chiang Mai to Lampang a little over a week ago, I past 10 of these Chinese RVs as well as four smaller conversion RV vans heading south. Now I know where they were headed. Having owned several RVs when I lived in the States, I know the sewage tanks on them is very limited and needs to be dumped ever two or three days. I can't help but to think of the potential health hazard this is as we already know that Chinese tourist are pretty much uncaring about polluting the environment.

However, in this day and age I would think that some enterprising Thai business people would be quick to jump on the opportunity to set up facilities for these RVs. Campgrounds for RVs are not that difficult to set up and dumping stations set up on the major highways could make some money as well.

One of these backward thinking council members really need to visit a nearby country and do a bit of research into these RV vehicles. I suggest a trip to Australia where there many thousands of them moving around the country at any given time. Its an excellent way to see the countryside, parks would soon spring up.

Australia is a massive country with wide well built roads and takes their environmental protection very seriously. Not so here. I can't believe the majority of posters supporting these big ugly boxes on wheels taking up what little space there is left on Phuket's roads, together with the Chinese and their notorious (un)sanitary habits bah.gif and lack of care for the environment being able to park for stretches of time (how long?) on whatever's left of the 'forest' here. Or better yet, parked along Nai Harn beach! You lot from Blackpool? huh.png Class .. coffee1.gif

“Certainly, these RVs are considered illegal according to the Land Transport Act of Thailand because they are modified vehicles...

Thai definition of modifications: Its legal as long as it is made, owned and operated by us!

Note the official license plate on the piece of junk below

legal-modifications_350_zpsbdkgzyaa.png

Oh look! I see you've included what passes for public transportation on this World Class Holiday Destination coffee1.gif

What a very odd response ... a total ban? If there are that many to worry about then open RV parks and charge them. Then make the parking areas time limited. Works everywhere else in the world

This country cannot be equated with Everywhere Else In The World. So let's drop this tired old line can we .. coffee1.gif

For Australians, caravans and RVs similar to the one pictured in the OP, are extremely common and to be found all over the country. It's a valid retirement plan for "Grey Nomads" is to buy a rig and set out for several years to "do a lap" (circle the country), or follow the sun by heading to the north in winter (Seagulls). There are very few American style, large buses converted into luxury apartments on wheels, in Australia.

Virtually every Australian town of any size has a caravan park with full facilities, including sewage disposal. If you try to overnight at a tourist spot or beach, the police will move you on.

Phuket doesn't have parks for this style of tourism, and it would be of concern if more and more Chinese started parking at beaches here. They do not have a good reputation for hygiene nor cleanliness. How they dispose of their raw sewage is of great concern. Also, I noticed the RV pictured is left hand drive, which means the door to the living area opens into the traffic, an extremely dangerous modification in this country!

The lack of facilities on Phuket, the dangerous mountain passes, the idiotic traffic conditions and the narrow roads away from the main link roads combine to make the Island an unsuitable place for this type of tourism.

Perhaps there is an opening to establish a large RV park (instead of yet another latex outlet!) which the Chinese could use as a base to tour locally. However, currently I feel there is no place for RVs here and banning could be an option.

Of course this would fly in the face of the love affair Thailand now has with China!

See where your coming from about dumping shit etc, Thais seem to be doing a good job of throwing rubbish about, building waste dumped on the road side, as for where sewerage goes, well just follow your nose.

Im guessing the ban will be only against the Chinese registered RVs. Cant see how they can ban a Thai registered RV in Thailand.

They just want the Chinese on their buses going to their friends stores/restaurants. How dare they try to travel independant.

Maybe off-topic but can I drive my car to China on route R3A `? Or is it only from China the road is open ?

Only from China,...the other way around is extremely difficult and every time you think you can go the come up with a new rule that makes it impossible...

Basically you need a sponsor in China, (very expensive), Only convoys are allowed with a lot of restrictions...

Of course they should ban also camping! Are the NP's sending their Notifications to immigration everytime an alien checks in? Nobody should be dumping wastes anywhere of course but Caravans (RV's) represent a certain free style of travel that just doesn't fit in here with the "fleece the alien" mentality.

“We could ban all RVs from Phuket entirely, and seize all the RVs and arrest their drivers already on the island – without exception.

Yeah, send out the police maybe with shot guns, the best kill them. Why having tourists with RV?

Maybe you are envy?

Maybe you should build some recreation parks?

Maybe you would accept signs of change?

Maybe you should be replaced?

Simon? Where is Simon? We await his pro tips

To be honest, I never much thought about RVs in Phuket, but I'd imagine that I'd attract the wrath of the local taxi mafia if I opened an RV park.

Now Sioux Indian Teepees in Phuket - that was a more crazy idea smile.png (Take my advice, don't do it...)

post-174-0-26529400-1456482737_thumb.jpg

“We could ban all RVs from Phuket entirely, and seize all the RVs and arrest their drivers already on the island – without exception.

And in the rest of the world people have been travelling around in these for almost 50 years.......fum ducks the lot of em

Come On.Many countries in Asia also does not allow RVs.

And in the rest of the world people have been travelling around in these for almost 50 years.......fum ducks the lot of em

Come On.Many countries in Asia also does not allow RVs.

Which countries?

.................“We could ban all RVs from Phuket entirely, and seize all the RVs and arrest their drivers already on the island – without exception.

“Or we could let each district come up with their own rules and regulations, and set up designated areas and routes for these vehicles, with a registration process......................

I wonder which one will be chosen!!

Or.... We could realize there is a gap in the market and open an RV park and make a bunch of money...

"calling for direction in what to do with the new-age travelling Chinese tourists."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

they are so completely unaware of the outside world. everything is a "fear" "control" "ban" reaction to anything "new".

from 2010:

Commemorating 100 Years of the RV

For almost as long as there have been automobiles, recreational vehicles have been traversing America.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/commemorating-100-years-of-the-rv-56915006/?no-ist

"they are so completely unaware of the outside world. everything is a "fear" "control" "ban" reaction to anything "new" - so true.

They just want to keep running their same old scams, based around monopoly and collusion, that anything new is seen as a threat here.

Meanwhile, the local Phuket economy continues to bleed tourism baht.

They just have no concept of moving with the times and ensuring the Phuket brand offers a good holiday product, at a competitive price.

No wonder Phuket is falling behind in the region, rapidly.

i really wonder just how far they will let this place slide.

.................“We could ban all RVs from Phuket entirely, and seize all the RVs and arrest their drivers already on the island – without exception.

“Or we could let each district come up with their own rules and regulations, and set up designated areas and routes for these vehicles, with a registration process......................

I wonder which one will be chosen!!

If common sense prevails it would be the the latter option. At least in where they can be parked...with facilities available for sewerage offload. Dumping in public areas should mandatorily see the impounding of a vehicle. Entry to Phuket should be registered at a cost to encourage/offset pollution.

Banning is a negative policy. "BackPackers" are an aspect of international tourism. RV tourism also. If Hoteliers are finding objection then so should other businesses but in contradiction. RV tourists also need food and recreational . Consider the equation re' expenditure.

Given the Thai requirement for notified place of stay it should not be so difficult to compell an area to facilitate RV's. Other than... they are tourists.

I cannot imagine they can be more irritating on public roads than the phenomenon of those from the UK who invade countries in convoys of similar vehicles and never understand that travelling at 30kms/h in the middle of the road for 50 kms whilst comparing scenery to "home" and ignoring other road users who are in transit for employments reasons.........provokes rage ! cheesy.gif

We used to have a 40 ft ,triple slide diesel pusher. Not cheap to buy or operate. It is a travel

life style. Not really that cheap a way to travel but if set up well a real home wherever you

go. They require services and a RV park with water, electric, and sewage hook up could do

well. If no services are available watch out, there will be issues with people dumping

grey water and sewage into ditches. Set up a network of RV parks and have them well

marked on maps, GPS systems, and tourist information centers. It could get ugly with

people who can't drive and have no concern for the environment roaming around Thailand

in even these modest RV's. coffee1.gif

Modified vehicles are illegal? What about every songthaew on the road in Thailand, many tuktuks, pickups with Carryboys, souped up cars of all types, salaengs, no doubt many more. Will these be banned as well?

So Carryboy is building illegal RV's? Someone should inform them before they are all confiscated.

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motorhome/

motor.jpg

Archived