New mod wanted

shaggy1969

Hi folks

I think that I have done all I can in regards to being moderator of this forum and it is time for me to call it a day.

My aim when I volunteered for the position of mod,was to try and attract new members to the forum.Unfortunately,

no matter how hard I tried,I couldn't get any new members to join.So I think that it is time for someone else to try.

I will remain mod until the end of next months 'Best shot' competition,hopefully in the mean time,someone else will step

up to continue with the running and upkeep of the competiton.

Cheers

Shaggy

Thank you for your service….the standard of mods on this forum is unusually high when I compare it to the lapdogs on certain other bingo player forums.

I thought TV has members coming out the wazoo….never felt there was a shortage….all those in search of high quality intellectual discourse flock here.

Cheerio.

Seems to me we have seen several "new faces" with some excellent photos, join since you took over, Shaggy,thumbsup.gif

But as you have also pointed out more than once, it's a very time consuming job... so who ever takes it on, they must be prepared for hours of work....

Would I take it on? , I am not sure.... currently I have a pinched nerve in my back, which is agony with pain in my left leg, most of the time... life is not fun at the moment...

Every day at the hospital for Physiotherapy which is helping a little... (two trips today) but it's not a quick fix...painkillers only work for a short time sad.png

I only managed a brief meeting with Bundycat, I had hope to show around Samui....but it was just not possible...

Let's see who might step up to the plate,....Those are big shoes to fill! thumbsup.gif

No, not me cheesy.gif ; I'm not enough good in english and also in photography . wai2.gif

Why not asking Mr Hitchens or Dancealot or Villagefarang ?

They are excellent in what they do in photography and I'm sure they can be a good moderator .

Jimmy my friend in Samui is also a very good photographer but , as he said, he has a big problem with his spinal cord;

I know what he has; it's a sciatic; he must go to make an X-ray and if the two lumbar vertebra are too close; I think only an operation will give him a new life.

eating drugs only hide the pain but don't treat it .

Thanks Shaggy for all you did here in this line

Photography & the Arts

and as wrote Johntwo, I hope you will still post your marvellous photos from Netherland and Thailand .

As Chaiwan municipality wrote ....smile.png

post-102759-0-63821400-1456546485_thumb.

No, not me cheesy.gif ; I'm not enough good in english and also in photography . wai2.gif

They are excellent in what they do in photography and I'm sure they can be a good moderator .

Jimmy my friend in Samui is also a very good photographer but , as he said, he has a big problem with his spinal cord;

I know what he has; it's a sciatic; he must go to make an X-ray and if the two lumbar vertebra are too close; I think only an operation will give him a new life.

Photography & the Arts

and as wrote Johntwo, I hope you will still post your marvellous photos from Netherland and Thailand .

attachicon.gifP1010295_outside_Chaiwan.JPG

Thanks ASTX....

You are right about an operation, but I don't have a spare 200,000 baht kicking around, so the physiotherapy will have to do! ... I think it's my second love which is gardening that does the damage... so going to have to give up the spade! sad.png There is a nice plot of land in front of my new house, which I would love to tackle.... but.... facepalm.gif

At least today, I feel better... perhaps on the mend again? Let's see if anyone as you suggested jumps in... my feeling is that it needs to be someone who does not have a full time job and trying to support a family... and has a lot of spare time !!!

Let's see what others have to say..... wink.png

As for UKsomchai's comment, I am still working on my ISO and F stops settings ! tongue.png Sometimes I get them right! biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

Photography & the Arts

Thanks ASTX....

You are right about an operation, but I don't have a spare 200,000 baht kicking around, so the physiotherapy will have to do! ... I think it's my second love which is gardening that does the damage... so going to have to give up the spade! sad.png There is a nice plot of land in front of my new house, which I would love to tackle.... but.... facepalm.gif

At least today, I feel better... perhaps on the mend again? Let's see if anyone as you suggested jumps in... my feeling is that it needs to be someone who does not have a full time job and trying to support a family... and has a lot of spare time !!!

As for UKsomchai's comment, I am still working on my ISO and F stops settings ! tongue.png Sometimes I get them right! biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

Off topic for a moment and I apologise but with regards to khun samuijimmy, have you looked into steroid injections into the spine? I too suffer with problematic discs and find the injections very good. Maybe worth looking into. wai.gif

Photography & the Arts

Thanks ASTX....

Off topic for a moment and I apologise but with regards to khun samuijimmy, have you looked into steroid injections into the spine? I too suffer with problematic discs and find the injections very good. Maybe worth looking into. wai.gif

Oh to get off topic! facepalm.gif Actually yes, seeing a doc on Monday, to see about doing that, it has to be done at the hospital! I went to a orthopedic clinic to ask yesterday afternoon!!

I might be jumping over the moon then !!! laugh.png

My two cents.

I think Shaggy has done an excellent job on the Photo forum. What people sometimes don't see, it's mentally demanding trying to be fair when moderating. No moderator wish to hurt anyone and the work is hard when generally nice forum members are fighting each other. Sometimes there are hard decisions to be made. Those decisions generally hurt the mod more than the person who get's warning / suspension.

While the moderator team and the grande old man, Tywais gives a lot of support for the new mod, it's still a lonely task. Photo forum moderator knows the people and how the sub-forum works.

The photo forum participants are creative, which makes us a bit more emotional than ordinary members. Every time we post a photo, there is a little bit of ourselves, shared to the forum. A bit of fear and a lot of enjoyment when others like our posts. It makes us vulnerable, wether we like it or not. This applies to the photo forum moderator as his or hers posts are displayed with extra red 'Global moderator' glow.

My suggestion is that Shaggy would keep on doing what he does, but there would be additional local moderator for he Photo forums. This way the moderation task (which itself is not too much of an burden) and the fair decision making (which is big burden) can be shared. It's much more fun to have a workmate to talk to, when there are difficult decisions to be made. This would also allow the mods to share ideas how to make the forum even more fun.

What comes to the getting new members to the forum, which Shaggy has been doing and think he failed.

No, you did not fail at all. You have managed to get the unprecedented exposure to the photo forum and got plenty of new members, while some other members have moved away. Before your era, photo forum was never on the Thaivisa newsletter. Now it's there all the time. You basically made this forum matter and to be seen on larger scale. I raise my cap for that! smile.png

The way I see, it's Thailand which has changed over the past few years. Creative aka emotional aka sensitive people are the first to acknowledge this change and move to other destinations. This reduces the number of members who take and share photos in this country. The rest, who still remain here, are no longer so willing to share their happy photos as they used to be. I'm sorry to put this in to political scene, but I think it matters in this context.

Summa summarum: Shaggy Please don't go. :D

When it comes to having an additional (No, Shaggy, you don't go) moderator for the photo forum, I think our Jimmy from Samui would be a very good candidate for the job. Always happy, always positive. A good person who I managed to meet once. The fear is that samuijimmy will burn out, like I did at the time. At that point all I wanted to get out of Thaivisa and the Photo forum. Shaggy had the same symptoms after an while, doing the moderation, he got trough that phase, which is great.

Having two mods working together, would make the task more easy and much more fun.

My advice to whom who wish to become the additional mod, make sure that you'll keep the local moderator status. This way you can see almost everything what is happening behind the scenes, but don't have the feel of responsibility to act what is happening in for example on your local area forum. At the point of becoming a global moderator the feeling of moderating task changes from 'doing fair share' to 'work for the forum'. That's the time when the fun ends, at least it did to me. I speak from experience.

obnote: Imho Thaivisa should introduce a honourable local mod status to indicate that the person is not a noob mod, but rather wants to restrict his/hers tasks to a few subforums the person cares.

Edit: if everything else fails, I'll volunteer to become a local co-mod together with Shaggy. But before that it's good to see the other options.

Hi folks

Many thanks for you all taking the time to reply and a huge thank you also for your support!

I have been chatting with Jimmy and maybe a second full time mod is what is needed!

Have also been chatting with some of my friends over on other forums and they are willing to come over to share their images and help build the forum back up!

Hi folks

Many thanks for you all taking the time to reply and a huge thank you also for your support!

I have been chatting with Jimmy and maybe a second full time mod is what is needed!

Have also been chatting with some of my friends over on other forums and they are willing to come over to share their images and help build the forum back up!

May I say.............................Your photo forum has never failed.............Ol' Trans has had many a smile on this forum............Stuff that makes ones day......You all know what I mean..............smile.png ..........And I know nufink about photography....

So you are taking your own pictures know??? You found a good hobby!!! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Trans,My initial plan when I volunteered to be a mod on this forum,was to try and make it into the best Thai related photo forum on the net!

I have scoured the internet for photographers in Thailand,and there are plenty.Finding them was easy,trying to get them to join was a totally

different matter all together.That was the reason I said that I had failed.

Stop singing and go and buy yourself a camera..........Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll,go on then!!!! biggrin.png

Probably a good idea to close this topic now,before someone says something they shouldn't.

samuijimmy has already put his name forward,regarding the position of becoming a mod on this forum.

Anyone else that thinks they can do a better job than me,Jimmy or any of the other mods,can send me a PM and I will put your name forward!

Cheers

• 10 months later...

Opened this thread again!! New mod needed... January 2017

Sadly Ron19 is calling it a day with his Mod job...  he's promised he'll keep posting!

I would just like to thank Ron for his attention to detail and sorting things with the competition threads etc...

With my back and leg problems I cannot give it as much attention as I would like, therefore requesting that some one may want to consider stepping in to help!

Please PM me if interested and I'll put names forward to the other Mods ... for approval.

Thanks guys and gals!

Archived