White Temple in Chiang Rai to charge foreign visitors

webfact

White Temple to Charge Foreign Visitors
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14563939161456393939l.jpg
The White Temple Photo: We Love Ajarn Chalermchai Kositpipat / Facebook

CHIANG RAI — A popular art temple in Chiang Rai province will start collecting entrance fees from foreign visitors later this year, its owner said.

Beginning in October, foreigners visiting the White Temple will have to pay 50 baht to enter the prayer hall (ubosot) and another 50 baht for the art hall, said Chalermchai Kositpipat, the Silpathorn Award-winning artist who designed and owns the temple.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456393916&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-26

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some places in the world as well as a entrance fee you must pay in advance a even larger fee for taking photo's..

Used to make me mad, how do I know from the entrance that there is anything worthwhile to take a photo of ? just money grabber cons, free money from tourists.

I love the White temple and have had the pleasure to see it twice which will be a last time for me. In my country, (Canada), all pay the same price to enter special exhibits and buildings whether a citizen or tourists. Sad how only foreigners have to pay for all the ancient buildings.

I don't doubt that operating and maintenance costs have gone way up, having seen the hordes of Chinese that descend upon the place every day and the way they behave there.

Anyone who has seen this place back in the day, best to remember it the way it was.

just the outside of this temple is interresting, so why enter into ?

Agreed, I won't be going. What their charging isn't the issue. It's charging foreigners for every little thing they can think of that is the issue. I'd rather they just ban foreigners from going. There are enough crappy stores and services here that get my money. Not paying for any tourist attractions like this. There are many more interesting temples near this region where you can go and enjoy for free. One is close to the tea plantation. I forget the name but you can go pray in the temple, feed the cliff monkey's, paddle boat in the small pond and simply enjoy yourself along with everyone else. You spend your money on the vendors that are there that provide food, trinkets, and other hand-made items.

Agreed, I won't be going. What their charging isn't the issue. It's charging foreigners for every little thing they can think of that is the issue. I'd rather they just ban foreigners from going. There are enough crappy stores and services here that get my money. Not paying for any tourist attractions like this. There are many more interesting temples near this region where you can go and enjoy for free. One is close to the tea plantation. I forget the name but you can go pray in the temple, feed the cliff monkey's, paddle boat in the small pond and simply enjoy yourself along with everyone else. You spend your money on the vendors that are there that provide food, trinkets, and other hand-made items.

It is ok if the owner want to charge the visitors to cover his expenses.

But it is not ok to charge only foreigners. The discrimination of foreigners is unfortunately wide spead in Thailand and it seems to get worse.

Remember this is the place where the owner had to ban Chinese from using his toilets

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/799029-chinese-tourists-in-trouble-again-as-white-temple-soiled/

Doubt if it has anything to do with Xenophobia driven, 2 tier pricing

We met the guy who built and operates this a few years ago and he made us feel very welcome; it is a masterpiece well worth paying a few baht to enjoy.

Per Langsuan Mans quote; if the tour guides cannot/ will not control their clients; I believe attractions like this any many others have the right cover these reoccurring costs.

Until the Government and TAT pressure the tour companies and insist the guides have adequate language skills, the ability to manage crowds and have the "balls" step up and protect the country's and hospitality operators assets from their cheap tour clients ... these problems will only get worse

I am not sure you can realistically compare these two places.

Tham%252520Pla%252520%252520002.jpg

Day%2525201%252520%252520008.jpg

The desire to bash all things Thai has yet again overridden all logic and common sense. The owner of the temple is an artist, he built it as an expression of art, his other works are to be seen in the nearby art museum. He wanted everyone to see his work so he opened it up to the public, pretty soon he became overwhelmed by the number of tourists and the cost of upkeep hence he's now charging a small admittance fee. He's overwhelmed by tourists, mostly Chinese, he's not overwhelmed by Thai nationals hence he's charging the people who are costing him most. If anybody can't see the logic and fairness of all that, feel free to bash away.

Evidently foreigners are major shareholders in these buildings so we should have a say just as any shareholder does.

And who might these be and how many voting shares do you own, in order to have your say?

You are essentially a share holder when you contribute to the upkeep. It is a nice temple for sure and should be maintained but damage, if any, can come from anyone not just tourists but locals as well. But to answer you your entrance fee is 1 share just like everyone elses

Evidently foreigners are major shareholders in these buildings so we should have a say just as any shareholder does.

And who might these be and how many voting shares do you own, in order to have your say?

You are essentially a share holder when you contribute to the upkeep. It is a nice temple for sure and should be maintained but damage, if any, can come from anyone not just tourists but locals as well. But to answer you your entrance fee is 1 share just like everyone elses

Only in your world is this true, in everyone elses it's a tourist attraction currently that is owned by a Thai national where no shares or voting rights are even possible, but nice try. Tell you what, next time you visit why not tell the owner you want to exercise your voting rights and come back later and tell us what he said!

Archived