BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

White Temple in Chiang Rai to charge foreign visitors

White Temple to Charge Foreign Visitors
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14563939161456393939l.jpg
The White Temple Photo: We Love Ajarn Chalermchai Kositpipat / Facebook

CHIANG RAI — A popular art temple in Chiang Rai province will start collecting entrance fees from foreign visitors later this year, its owner said.

Beginning in October, foreigners visiting the White Temple will have to pay 50 baht to enter the prayer hall (ubosot) and another 50 baht for the art hall, said Chalermchai Kositpipat, the Silpathorn Award-winning artist who designed and owns the temple.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456393916&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-26

Some places in the world as well as a entrance fee you must pay in advance a even larger fee for taking photo's..

Used to make me mad, how do I know from the entrance that there is anything worthwhile to take a photo of ? just money grabber cons, free money from tourists.

There's a lot staff employed at that place to keep control of the tourists, some sort of charge seems appropriate.

I love the White temple and have had the pleasure to see it twice which will be a last time for me. In my country, (Canada), all pay the same price to enter special exhibits and buildings whether a citizen or tourists. Sad how only foreigners have to pay for all the ancient buildings.

100 baht is worth it, a very strange and eclectic place. It's more of an artwork than a temple. In a land filled with such repetitive and boring architecture and seen one seen em all temples; this one is quite unique.

I would gladly give 100 baht for my visit there a couple years ago. Wonderful place to visit, just happy to see them rebuilding and recovering from the earthquake (which was a question mark).

Again foreigners are discriminated. All humans should be teated equal.

An unfortunate turn of phrase!

I don't doubt that operating and maintenance costs have gone way up, having seen the hordes of Chinese that descend upon the place every day and the way they behave there.

Anyone who has seen this place back in the day, best to remember it the way it was.

I probably been there dozens of times but never been inside.

It's worthwhile going inside the art gallery, some of his stuff is very very impressive plus he's an easy guy to talk to, unless you're Chinese I suspect.