White Temple in Chiang Rai to charge foreign visitors

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some places in the world as well as a entrance fee you must pay in advance a even larger fee for taking photo's..

Used to make me mad, how do I know from the entrance that there is anything worthwhile to take a photo of ? just money grabber cons, free money from tourists.

a bit like the floating market in pattaya, one of the most boring places on the planet and then they started to charge an entrance fee as it was established as a chinese tourist bus route

The Chinese come with busses, overrun the place and don't behave at all. I can imagine it's not possible to charge only Chinese.
The inside of the prayer hall is well worth a visit because of the beautiful wall paintings. What many of you don't see is that Thai people donate a lot which farang don't do.
The restoration of the temple after the earthquake could only took place because of gifts from Thai people and benefit expositions from other artists.
@ Harry, although the name is wat Rong Khun, it's not a temple in the meaning of practicing Buddhism but a masterpiece of art.

The Chinese come with busses, overrun the place and don't behave at all. I can imagine it's not possible to charge only Chinese.

The inside of the prayer hall is well worth a visit because of the beautiful wall paintings. What many of you don't see is that Thai people donate a lot which farang don't do.

The restoration of the temple after the earthquake could only took place because of gifts from Thai people and benefit expositions from other artists.

@ Harry, although the name is wat Rong Khun, it's not a temple in the meaning of practicing Buddhism but a masterpiece of art.

If they want to privilege those who donate to the temple they could give them free entry cards or similar. But they privilege according the nationality and this is discrimination.

It is either a temple or a museum.

it cannot be both. Temples are often masterieces of art as people donate their best skills to give the best they can. Muslem temples are the same...many contain beautiful architectural features and the best stonework you will see anywhere as this is given as a way of giving to god.

In this case there was "indian giving" if I can use a politically incorrect term. The artist built and gave a temple to the months in order to obtain a direct pass to a higher level. He then attempts to maintain control as the owner.

I probably been there dozens of times but never been inside.

It's worthwhile going inside the art gallery, some of his stuff is very very impressive plus he's an easy guy to talk to, unless you're Chinese I suspect.

Yes, I've been in the gallery and bought prints and other souvenirs there, it just that I get to the temple itself and decide that I cannot be bothered taking my shoes off. (Bad back).

I always think such a tread gives a good insight into the various types of farang who live in Thailand. Before any of us arrived in Thailand we all lived in a society when the concept is/was ‘it’s not the money but the principle’ prevailed, and where it’s not normal to self justify why one should pay more for a product or service. We’d also be aware that a fool and his money are easily separated.

The same concepts/principles apply in Thailand. No Thai person seeks to pay more for a similar product or service. Many Thai in the service industries (broad meaning) will attempt to convince the recently arrived Farang that Thai people like kind and generous foreigners (aka naive and innocent). I suggest you people watch at a Thai border market with Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar and decide whether Thai people are kind and generous with their less fortunate neighbours, or whether they bargain to the nearest bath.

When I was new to Thailand and family or friends were visting for the first time, I'd forward article like this (dual pricing) for them to read to get an idea of how Thai people might perceive foreigners - Kind and Generous or Naive and Innocent.

Thailand is not a poor country and it’s interesting to see how many foreigners self justify why non-Thai (only) ought to pay for the upkeep of Thai buildings etc...or pay xx times local rates ...

If you think you know Thailand then you must have an idea of what Thai people perceive farang to be and strange that many seem to think that by paying more, a local person might, just might like you more.

I must admit, I find all the moralizing and condescending remarks from instant Thailand experts to be quite tedious. You're not a better person because you refuse to pay 50 baht. No one is forced to go to this tourist attraction and I am sure there will be no shortage of visitors even with a charge of 50 baht. Instead of trying to control the actions of others, just make your own choice whether to go or not, and allow others the same freedom.

I must admit, I find all the moralizing and condescending remarks from instant Thailand experts to be quite tedious. You're not a better person because you refuse to pay 50 baht. No one is forced to go to this tourist attraction and I am sure there will be no shortage of visitors even with a charge of 50 baht. Instead of trying to control the actions of others, just make your own choice whether to go or not, and allow others the same freedom.

You don't really understand the problem. The problem is not that they charge 50 Baht. This is ok and most of the people will understand.

The problem is the discrimination according to your nationality. What comes next? If you have the wrong skin color or the wrong religion you have to pay more?

We met the artist/designer many years ago. Really nice guy. The upkeep has to be supported somehow. I would hate to imagine the dollar/baht value of the facility. Is there government support financially, no idea? For the smiles on my family's faces, I'm happy to pay a small compensation for that. :)

They should charge the Thais and Chinese and allow all other foreigners free entrance...

No if they are going to charge then charge everyone. If you worked here you would be paying tax and still have to pay to enter so were is the logic, before anyone says anything, that the Thai's are paying for it in their taxes?

You don't really understand the problem. The problem is not that they charge 50 Baht. This is ok and most of the people will understand.

The problem is the discrimination according to your nationality. What comes next? If you have the wrong skin color or the wrong religion you have to pay more?

No you don't understand, we say this bridge is OK to cross, when there's a new bridge we'll decide whether it's OK to cross or not, acceptance of dual pricing doesn't mean acceptance of everything in the universe.

No you don't understand, we say this bridge is OK to cross, when there's a new bridge we'll decide whether it's OK to cross or not, acceptance of dual pricing doesn't mean acceptance of everything in the universe.

Who is 'WE'? Who decides what is OK?

The human rights are international acknowledged. Discrimination is not according the human rights. Dual pricing according the nationality is discrimination.

I always think such a tread gives a good insight into the various types of farang who live in Thailand. Before any of us arrived in Thailand we all lived in a society when the concept is/was ‘it’s not the money but the principle’ prevailed, and where it’s not normal to self justify why one should pay more for a product or service. We’d also be aware that a fool and his money are easily separated.

The same concepts/principles apply in Thailand. No Thai person seeks to pay more for a similar product or service. Many Thai in the service industries (broad meaning) will attempt to convince the recently arrived Farang that Thai people like kind and generous foreigners (aka naive and innocent). I suggest you people watch at a Thai border market with Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar and decide whether Thai people are kind and generous with their less fortunate neighbours, or whether they bargain to the nearest bath.

When I was new to Thailand and family or friends were visting for the first time, I'd forward article like this (dual pricing) for them to read to get an idea of how Thai people might perceive foreigners - Kind and Generous or Naive and Innocent.

Thailand is not a poor country and it’s interesting to see how many foreigners self justify why non-Thai (only) ought to pay for the upkeep of Thai buildings etc...or pay xx times local rates ...

If you think you know Thailand then you must have an idea of what Thai people perceive farang to be and strange that many seem to think that by paying more, a local person might, just might like you more.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being liked more or otherwise. I say, the private owner of the temple has come up with a business model that involves who he charges and how much, I look at that model and I think it's not unreasonable. I am not being forced to go to the temple, I go to the temple of my own free will in the knowledge that it will cost me 50 or 100 baht, that's my choice, I do it because I think it represents good value for money to me. I spend not one iota of time thinking or being concerned that a native Thai got in for free, that's not my business whatsoever and does not interest me.

I also accept that a feature of the landscape for foreigners in Thailand is the dual pricing system, every time I encounter it I make a decision, do I want to pay what's being asked, is that good value for money for me, if it is I pay if it isn't I leave. Once again I don't spend a moment thinking about how much other people are or are not paying, that's not my business and doesn't interest me. Being liked more or less is of zero relevance.

Well... It's not even a real temple. It was created by an artist. On the inside wall there are "minions" :(. Why shouldn't an artist charge who he wants to to see his work?

By the way. Just down the street. The Nomkorn resort is a really nice place to stay as long as you have your own transportation. The little river is right outside your room. Very nice.

Who is 'WE'? Who decides what is OK?

The human rights are international acknowledged. Discrimination is not according the human rights. Dual pricing according the nationality is discrimination.

We, you and me. If you don't like it, don't pay and don't go, your choice. Me, I'll go and I'll pay and smile whilst doing so.

Discrimination, tell me, which Thai law does it contravene? Be gone with your internationalism and human rights concepts, they vary from country to country, one size does not fit all.

Evidently foreigners are major shareholders in these buildings so we should have a say just as any shareholder does.

And who might these be and how many voting shares do you own, in order to have your say?

You are essentially a share holder when you contribute to the upkeep. It is a nice temple for sure and should be maintained but damage, if any, can come from anyone not just tourists but locals as well. But to answer you your entrance fee is 1 share just like everyone elses

That's great news, so I'm a shareholder in Disneyworld, Universal Studios, Alton Towers, Centre Parcs, etc, etc, etc.

Who knew!?

one Libel / Defamation post removed

Forum Rule - 6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

The desire to bash all things Thai has yet again overridden all logic and common sense. The owner of the temple is an artist, he built it as an expression of art, his other works are to be seen in the nearby art museum. He wanted everyone to see his work so he opened it up to the public, pretty soon he became overwhelmed by the number of tourists and the cost of upkeep hence he's now charging a small admittance fee. He's overwhelmed by tourists, mostly Chinese, he's not overwhelmed by Thai nationals hence he's charging the people who are costing him most. If anybody can't see the logic and fairness of all that, feel free to bash away.

Alas, logic and common sense are not too common traits amongst TV members....great post by the way, you obviously are very switched on.

Thais are one of the most generous races in the world when it comes to donating.

The big thing is that it is a temple. Temples are there for people to practice their religious belief. You should not have to pay to follow your belief. That really is the issue that I have with it. If it is an ancient site of historical importance then yes pay an entrance fee but not to follow your belief.

As far as I know, it was never an issue of charging these two separate fees until the Chinese influx causing unclean conditions in and around the grounds. There was also the earthquake repairs. 100 baht seems like a fair price with all things considered. The art hall an interesting collection of the artists work. Well worth the price.

The big thing is that it is a temple. Temples are there for people to practice their religious belief. You should not have to pay to follow your belief. That really is the issue that I have with it. If it is an ancient site of historical importance then yes pay an entrance fee but not to follow your belief.

It is an art form that is called the White Temple, it is not an operational temple in the sense that it is not a place of worship.

Archived