White Temple in Chiang Rai to charge foreign visitors

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100 Baht and absolute outrage over "racism". Meanwhile there is another thread running where most find it totally acceptable, not racist, and just plain common sense to not rent a condo to Indians because of "cooking odours".

The Eurocentrism and subtle bigotry of many threads on TVF never ceases to amaze.

The White Temple is worth a visit if you are in the region. The main attraction is the temple itself, I don't recall anything inside the complex to be anything special. I originally thought it was a religious temple until I saw Star Wars characters on the internal wall frescos. Unless of course Yoda is a Buddhist?

So, if you don't wish to pay just take photographs from outside, and if you're not too concerned then pay and have a look inside. Personally it was the external design that I found most interesting, not the internal artworks, etc.

100 Baht and absolute outrage over "racism". Meanwhile there is another thread running where most find it totally acceptable, not racist, and just plain common sense to not rent a condo to Indians because of "cooking odours".

The Eurocentrism and subtle bigotry of many threads on TVF never ceases to amaze.

If a person decides not to rent a Condo to a person who will annoy other people in the building , that isnt being racist .

The person who owns my Condo building doesnt allow any cooking inside the rooms , its anti-social

There used to be and maybe still is a sign at the White Temple which stated that all Foreigners can only enter the Temple if they have an official Thai guide with them due to Foreigners innapropriate behavior at the Temple

Pretend for a moment:

A farang owns a night club in Thailand.

Upon entrance all farang get in free. Anyone that is asian looking is charged 100 baht.

The cost is negligible, the entertainment inside is the same for everyone.

Pretend for a moment:

A farang owns a night club in Thailand.

Upon entrance all farang get in free. Anyone that is asian looking is charged 100 baht.

The cost is negligible, the entertainment inside is the same for everyone.

Wouldnt he just be able to own 49 % of the Night club ?

If a person decides not to rent a Condo to a person who will annoy other people in the building , that isnt being racist .

The person who owns my Condo building doesnt allow any cooking inside the rooms , its anti-social

There is a difference between saying no cooking and no smoking to "No India". It's called racism. I just think it would be refreshing if racists would just admit their bigotry (I mean it is an anonymous web forum, nobody is coming to arrest ) than to say "I'm not racist" but then " I will not rent my room to Indians".

There is a difference between saying no cooking and no smoking to "No India". It's called racism. I just think it would be refreshing if racists would just admit their bigotry (I mean it is an anonymous web forum, nobody is coming to arrest ) than to say "I'm not racist" but then " I will not rent my room to Indians".

Although the basis for not renting to Indians is the odour, rather than their skin colour

Where do you see racism in this thread?
Where do you see eurocentrism? Is it eurocentrism if I say that the human right egality should be protected?
It has nothing to do with the fee of 100 Baht. It is absolutely correct if the owner charges the visitors. This building was very expensive and the maintenance is costly too.

I'll inform the Thai wife to take the White Temple off of her "Thing I Want To Do" list during our next visit to Chiang Rai which she has been planning for awhile. I live her, pay taxes, contribute more to the Thai economy that most middle class Thais, and I'm (and others like me) are treated like second rate trash. Screw them. It's not a 'real' temple anyway, but just for show. I'll leave it to the tourists.

Archived