ID Card for farangs

In Thai it says มีถิ่นที่อยู่ถาวร

google translate says that means "A permanent resident"

I see that the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) and the Immigration Bureau, both part of the Ministry of the Interior, use different Thai terminology for what is best translated as "permanent residence"

The Immigration Act makes a distinction between foreigners on the basis of the type of permission to stay they have. Chapter 4 is about "Temporary Stay in the Kingdom", chapter 5 about "Entering to take Resedence in the Kingdom"

Whereas the English translation uses the same term "residence" both in chapters 4 and 5, the Thai text uses two different terms, ที่พัก (thi phak) in chapter 4 for foreigners with permission to stay temporarily in Thailand, and ถิ่นที่อยู่ (thin thi yu) in chapter 5 for the foreigners to whom we commonly refer as Permanent Residents.

While the English translation of the Immigration Act uses the terms "permanent resident" and "permanent residence", the Thai text contains no word that could be translated as "permanent". The distinction based on the permission to stay mentioned above means that the term ถิ่นที่อยู่ (thin thi yu) used for residence in chapter 5 automatically means permanent residence, ie the type of residence which is not a temporary stay in Thailand. The word ถาวร (thawon), indicating permanence, used by the DOPA on the ID card for Permanent Residents, appears nowhere in the Immigration Act.

What has been translated as "permanent resident" in the Immigration Act is คนต่างด้าวซึ่งได้รับอนุญาตให้มีถิ่นที่อยู่ในราชอาณาจักร (khon tangdao sueng dairap anuyat hai mi thin thiyu nai ratcha-anachak) in the Thai text, literally a foreigner who has been allowed to take residence in Thailand.

• Like 1

Worrab, the basic question is whether text below the ID number on your card is exactly the same as the text shown on the other card posted in the post avove yours, ie if the text is as follows:

มีถิ่นที่อยู่ถาวร

Even if you can't read Thai, perhaps you can compare the two texts visually and see if they are identical.

I will now try to clear up this problem. The card you have taken this from states at the top non Thai nationals, so you were not born in Thailand which is identical to my card. Now here comes the difference.

The card you have shown, the wording under the number translates as having domicile in Thailand. So for whatever reason whether it be marriage or working here, to mention two, that person is entitled to that card. Also it is a card that can be held by people from Laos, Myanmar etc.

My card is NOT the same as the wording translates as Aliens under the numbers. I am a non Thai national who does not have domicile here in the same way.

Cheers.

Many thanks for all the information worrab

I read this topic from the start and understood and followed everything you were writing.

Apologies that some members are still questioning and doubting you. mad.gif

Please don't let them put you off from posting in the future. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You can always show it to the police if they make a passport razzia. As they certainly will never have seen such thing with a farang, chances are high one gets arrested. Which is a experience worth it I'd say :)

More interesting however would be, what they are doing in the national parks and other rip-off places with "tourist" prices when presenting that card.

Worrab, the basic question is whether text below the ID number on your card is exactly the same as the text shown on the other card posted in the post avove yours, ie if the text is as follows:

มีถิ่นที่อยู่ถาวร

Even if you can't read Thai, perhaps you can compare the two texts visually and see if they are identical.

I will now try to clear up this problem. The card you have taken this from states at the top non Thai nationals, so you were not born in Thailand which is identical to my card. Now here comes the difference.

The card you have shown, the wording under the number translates as having domicile in Thailand. So for whatever reason whether it be marriage or working here, to mention two, that person is entitled to that card. Also it is a card that can be held by people from Laos, Myanmar etc.

My card is NOT the same as the wording translates as Aliens under the numbers. I am a non Thai national who does not have domicile here in the same way.

Cheers.

What is the text, in Thai letters, on the line below the ID number on your card? Can you please give it in Thai letters, not a translation of what it means or does not mean in English?

Another member, MadMac, who does not have Permanent Residence (immigrant status), posted – off topic– in the forum "Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents" that he also got the pink ID card with starting ID digit 6, in Bangkok: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents/page-10?p=10477392#entry10477392

In Thai it says มีถิ่นที่อยู่ถาวร

Are you saying that มีถิ่นที่อยู่ถาวร is what is printed on the ID card of the member worrab, on the line below the ID number?

Or is it what is printed in that place on your own pink ID card with 6 as the first digit of the ID number? If either of the two is the case, this is the information I have been waiting for.

มีถิ่นที่อยู่ถาวร

Cheers.

What is the text, in Thai letters, on the line below the ID number on your card? Can you please give it in Thai letters, not a translation of what it means or does not mean in English?

I am unable to give you this in Thai script as I do not have a Thai keyboard. It seems you are doubting the translation provided by my Thai girlfriend who categorically states this word is Aliens or for the exact wording general Aliens. This is what differentiates the 2 cards that are in pink. One for non Thai nationals with domicile and us as non Thai without domicile.

Edited by worrab

And this "common/general alien" distinguishes it from pink cards with specific descriptions like "Laos immigrant" or similar.

Pink cards are issued to different groups/classes of foreigners.

Just found this article about pink cards for Myanmar workers, valid for two years.

http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/national-news/19233-workers-in-thailand-told-to-re-register-for-pink-cards.html

• Like 2

I bopped over to my local Thesaban this morning to ask about the Farang ID card. Took a while and 3-4 of the guys and gals before they seemed to agree that it was possible, but not with them. They do regular Thai ID cards.

They suggested I head over to the Amphur at Klong 5.5 and give it a go there, "should be possible," they said.

OK, perhaps Thursday.

Mac

I put a picture of the card on the phone and showed them, they knew what it was and what to do, no explanation or discussion required. But probably they have the printing machines only in bigger districts. As mentioned in the other thread, my one has serial number 9.

Sorry, probably that was a bit confusing with the 9 :). Did not mean the starting number, I have a 6 too. There is a serial number under the photo which includes the issueing office and a counting number. That is 9, meaning only 9 of the pink IDs were ever isued in that district.

Would it be possible to obtain one with a work permit which has your address on it same as the yellow tambian bahn? It (WP) is also used as proof of address in those cases that require it such as buying car, getting DL, etc.

I believe the main thing is that you already have that 13 digits Thai ID and your name transcribed into Thai. The card as well as the yellow tabien baan are fully in Thai. WP will not have the ID and keeps your latin name.

Sorry, probably that was a bit confusing with the 9 smile.png. Did not mean the starting number, I have a 6 too.

Just for entertainment:

Digit 9 is reserved for members of the Royal family.

ID no. of the King is shown here (9100100001010):

post-99794-0-56443500-1456822785_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1