ID Card for farangs

44 minutes ago, sumrit said:

An ID card is much easier to carry around than a passport/yellow book/WP and less likely to get damaged when doing so.

The pink non-Thai ID card does in no way replaces a work permit.

I tried to use it when renewing my driver's licence but they wanted the yellow book.

It seems that not all banks accept this. No use in getting a mortgage or credit card.

I don't own a bank account very often, 7 years since the last one.

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I tried to use it when renewing my driver's licence but they wanted the yellow book.

It seems that not all banks accept this. No use in getting a mortgage or credit card.

To renew the driver's licence, you need the (pink) ID and the house registration (blue or yellow,  as the case may be), exactly like Thai people.

Same holds true for mortgage and account opening, at least at Bangkok Bank. SCB had no clue at the time (maybe they do in the meantime), so they didn't get my business.

11 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

To renew the driver's licence, you need the (pink) ID and the house registration (blue or yellow,  as the case may be), exactly like Thai people.

Same holds true for mortgage and account opening, at least at Bangkok Bank. SCB had no clue at the time (maybe they do in the meantime), so they didn't get my business.

You don't need the pink card to renew a drivers licence - I offered it to them and they said it was no use. Actually, I can't think of anything you need it for.

You got a mortgage with it, really?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You must be the only foreigner with a Thai ID card!

Interesting that Kasikorn bank don't accept your card.

30 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nobody is suggesting a pink ID card is necessary, those of us who have one are simply pointing out that there are many circumstances when having an ID card makes things much more convenient, simpler and less time consuming than not having a card.

If you don't need a bank account why go out of your way to suggest Kasikorn don't accept pink cards as ID? Krungthai, Thanachart and Siam Commercial Banks, to name just three, certainly do. For those who do need to open an account, go to one of those and give Kasikorn a wide berth.

You say that, in certain circumstances, the pink card is of no use and we have to go through the same process as you. We have given many examples of how having an ID card sometimes makes our life easier, but you're obviously against them so, if you think pink ID cards are such a bad thing, why don't you give us some examples as to how having a pink ID card makes our life in Thailand WORSE than not having one!!!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, orientalist said:

Thai mai lek prachachon is what I was referring to.

Sorry, I'm confused as to what you mean as you referred to it in two posts on the last page as Thai citizens ID.

Read what it says on the front of your pink non-Thai card.

If you can't read Thai, it says, " bat prajum tua seung mai mee sanchaat Thai"

Identity card for non Thai nationals

Then, " khon dtang dao tua bpai" 

"Prachachon" just means people/residents. 

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

A yellow book does that as does a work permit.

A Thai driver's licence is ID for getting planes, hotels etc.

Personally this pink card for foreigners reminds me of Jews wearing a good gold star.

No idea why the OP is proud to have one.

Are you referring to my post that started this thread 2 years ago? 

On 10/8/2018 at 10:13 AM, Neeranam said:

You don't need the pink card to renew a drivers licence - I offered it to them and they said it was no use. Actually, I can't think of anything you need it for.

You got a mortgage with it, really?

You don't need the pink card, but it makes things easier as it reduces the paperwork you have to carry with you. They didn't want to accept mine at first either (couple of years ago) but I suggested they call the District Office and tell them that their card is no good. The supervisor got involved, did call the District Office, and now the pink ID is accepted without problem.

And yes, I did get a loan. But then, I have PR. The first time, the bank actually asked for it (but I didn't have it then), because it reduces the paperwork also for the bank. I don't know whether you can get a loan without PR, but that's a different subject.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Old thread I know but just an update:

I renewed my 5-year licence this morning in Chonburi. I used the pink ID card to replace my Passport as ID and used my yellow book to replace a residence certificate to prove my address. No problems and all went very smoothly ................. apart from the size of the queue I had to wait in.

Good to hear they accept the yellow book in Chonburi.  In Phuket, the Land Transport Office will not accept the yellow book, but only a certificate of residence from the Immigration Office.  (It's a bit ironic because, in order to get the yellow book I had to show, you guessed it, a certificate of residence from the Immigration Office.)

On 10/8/2018 at 11:53 AM, mercman24 said:

are there any benefits my driving licence does it for me

I was in Market Village Hua Hin and popped into to AIS to buy a SIM card.

Pink ID card , look of confusion on the girls face , " No I need your passport".

I have a Thai driving licence , okay , that will do.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:58 AM, Neeranam said:

Old thread I know but just an update:

I renewed my 5-year Driving Licence this morning in Chonburi. I used the pink ID card to replace my Passport as ID and used my yellow book to replace a residence certificate to prove my address. No problems and all went very smoothly ................. apart from the size of the queue I had to wait in.

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

This topic is now 34 pages long and I was not able to find one, can someone give a summary of requirements for getting this pink card?

First you need a yellow house book and the requirements vary for each Amphoe.

After you get the yellow book that is the only thing you need to get the ID card.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

First you need a yellow house book and the requirements vary for each Amphoe.

After you get the yellow book that is the only thing you need to get the ID card.

thanks Ubonjoe, sorry to ask this lame question, is a yellow book a house ownership document?

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

thanks Ubonjoe, sorry to ask this lame question, is a yellow book a house ownership document?

No, it's a house registration document (tabian bahn in Thai) that shows a foreigner registered as living at a particular residence.  The equivalent for Thais is a blue book.  The book belongs to the residence and shows within it the people who are registered as living at that address.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skatewash said:

No, it's a house registration document (tabian bahn in Thai) that shows a foreigner registered as living at a particular residence.  The equivalent for Thais is a blue book.  The book belongs to the residence and shows within it the people who are registered as living at that address.

thanks. so the owner of my house that I rent would have this?

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

thanks. so the owner of my house that I rent would have this?

Yes they would have a blue house book that the yellow book would be based upon. Thay have to give you permission to apply for the yellow book.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

thanks for the great detailed answer.

There's been a few threads on procedures for obtaining the Yellow Book (and subsequently the pink card) over the years. But as skatewash mentions in post #505, the process can vary depending upon youy Ampur. I got mine from Wattana Amphur in Bangkok where the process was quick and painless. The Yellow Book process took about an hour (10 years ago), and the pink card process (which was more recent) about 20 min.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1