Songkran Will Go On Despite Drought: Tourism Authority

rooster59

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The water used during Songkran to splash other people is literally a drop in the bucket of normal daily water use.

Frankly, I don't believe that. Even if it were true, it's still a shocking waste of water during a very bad drought.

Stupidity on a grand scale.

Note to Thai Visa Peanut Gallery:

You all sound like a bunch of whining dried out old women ... who simply can not stomach seeing a million people out having good clean fun.

It seems to be that membership to your club requires a two digit IQ, since you cry about a pail full of water like it was electricity .. a commodity you can waste over a very broad geography.

You see ... my dear Einsteins .. water .. is a very local commodity. A squirt gun full of water in BKK, does nothing to the Isaan situation ... etc ... etc .. etc....

I would guess one would be hard pressed to even measure the quantity of water depleted from a reservoir. And the Thai people LOVE to play with THEIR water! Oh, and yes .. the tourists do really turn up and spend some serious cash in certain areas ... a "win - win"

God, how I pity those who live in the Kingdom and can not embrace the culture .. and ENJOY it!

You see, I personally do NOT like Songkran because it interferes with my daily life.
I do not like water thrown on me, so for those days, simply stay around the condo, work out and swim ... etc.
I fly my wife back for a holiday with her family, and some water fight fun with old friends.

But what I do NOT do is WHINE about it!

Grumpy old men with nothing more to do than B***** and moan about every GD think that happens in a country they are GUESTS in!

AMAZING FARANG

Oh ... more fodder for the Thai Visa Peanut Gallery...

Please return to your swimming pools, golf courses, 20 minute showers etc ...

We await your tiresome, predictable and childish postings on this subject.

Ah! Here he is, the duty goody goody. Go on, snitch on us to the teacher.

I don't use a pool. I don't golf. My shower is less than 20 minutes, with water turned off whilst I scrub down, then water back on to rinse.

I only speak for myself and not the collective "we". Tiresome, predictable and childish is the realm of soothsayers, fortunetellers and pundits.

As for this issue "Songkran will go on...." Money and face saving trumps good governance it seems. It is also the time I leave to visit other countries.

We now know tourism is much more important to Thailand than having adequate water supply for the population.

I now say to the farmers.

Plant your rice crops.

nonsense - if you look at the mess left during and after Sonkhran the water in the areas it is carried out in amounts to about the same as half a days rain at most. ...and it's not even totals lost it continues into the drainage system that also requires water to function.

"..... it won't affect the drought situation"

How can wasting millions of gallons of water not affect the drought situation?

Even in UK, when the reservoirs start getting low you have hosepipe and car cleaning bans.

It's a pain in the yaris to boot.

Car cleaning and garden watering goes on everyday for months - Song Khran hits different relatively smal areas one at a time over a period of about 5 days max - now go and compare the two.

You all sound like a bunch of whining dried out old women ... who simply can not stomach seeing a million people out having good clean fun.

It seems to be that membership to your club requires a two digit IQ, since you cry about a pail full of water like it was electricity .. a commodity you can waste over a very broad geography.

You see ... my dear Einsteins .. water .. is a very local commodity. A squirt gun full of water in BKK, does nothing to the Isaan situation ... etc ... etc .. etc....

I would guess one would be hard pressed to even measure the quantity of water depleted from a reservoir. And the Thai people LOVE to play with THEIR water! Oh, and yes .. the tourists do really turn up and spend some serious cash in certain areas ... a "win - win"

God, how I pity those who live in the Kingdom and can not embrace the culture .. and ENJOY it!

You see, I personally do NOT like Songkran because it interferes with my daily life.

I do not like water thrown on me, so for those days, simply stay around the condo, work out and swim ... etc.

I fly my wife back for a holiday with her family, and some water fight fun with old friends.

Grumpy old men with nothing more to do than B***** and moan about every GD think that happens in a country they are GUESTS in!

AMAZING FARANG

Got all of that, now shall book you in for an Anger Management Course.....

We now know tourism is much more important to Thailand than having adequate water supply for the population.

I now say to the farmers.

Plant your rice crops.

No, what we do now know is that the water used over a 3 day period will not affect the population's water supply. Exactly the opposite to a second rice planting.

It's doubtful that the farmers will be taking advice from a Thaivisa poster anyway.

3 Days???

Their are many in Pattaya who wish it was only 3 days.whistling.gif

where i live it's 1 day basically (no joke)... after that people get back to normal, wasting water on cleaning their hilux 2x a week cuz it's so dusty due to drought clap2.gif

The water used during Songkran to splash other people is literally a drop in the bucket of normal daily water use.

What planet are you on? Ork to Dork. Every drop saved is precious. After reading your post I now have a full understanding as to why the world is in trouble. Sheer ignorance.

"Hotels are businesses that consume large amounts of water, he said. If the drought lasts through the months of May and June, which is the tourism low season, the situation will be worse for us.

Earlier this week the military has ordered all relevant agencies to gear up for the drought season and set aside reserve water supply for the countrys rice farms and orchards. Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha visited farms in Uthai Thani on Friday to inspect drought preparations. "

But songkran won't affect the drought problem? Yeah...not buying that.

Why not be honest and admit that songkran water fighting will take place no matter what anyone says?

Try stopping that and the govt really will face trouble. You can delay elections all you want but don't dare mess with fun.

or the tourism it draws. Can you imagine the cancellations that would occur if they banned throwing water during songkran? Thailand would lose millions as well as all travel, and hotel industries. Its sad though that they are saying their may not be enough drinking water in a couple months.

I made my first visit to Thailand during Songkran, it was funny for about five minutes.

The water is a true waste of natural resources and the booming bass is an ear killer to all within range. All for the sake of a few paltry bahts of profit. Yes we are reaping the stupidity that we sowed.

Strange individual.

No meds available today are the Pharmacies closed.??

Whatever... First off: there's rice now that can grow without the huge water drain. Second: how much water do all these ridiculous golf courses use (with foreign grass types) Third: where will the water during songkran come from and go when in cities?

Golf courses

I believe it is considered a problem in Spain (due to their proliferation to satisfy tourists/expats):

"The quantity of newly planned golf courses is simply shocking. The Andalusia community alone will have 210 golf courses if current plans are implemented. On an average, a golf course’s annual water consumption of 700,000 cubic metres is equivalent to the water consumption of 15,000 people."

AMAZING FARANG

Got all of that, now shall book you in for an Anger Management Course.....

an IQ in the 90s isn't so bad indeed in LOS... it actually helps addapting to embracing the culture wink.png

"Hotels are businesses that consume large amounts of water, he said. If the drought lasts through the months of May and June, which is the tourism low season, the situation will be worse for us.

Earlier this week the military has ordered all relevant agencies to gear up for the drought season and set aside reserve water supply for the countrys rice farms and orchards. Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha visited farms in Uthai Thani on Friday to inspect drought preparations. "

But songkran won't affect the drought problem? Yeah...not buying that.

Why not be honest and admit that songkran water fighting will take place no matter what anyone says?

Try stopping that and the govt really will face trouble. You can delay elections all you want but don't dare mess with fun.

"Set aside reserve water suppy" Just whereabouts are the "Reserve water supplies"? If there were reserve water supplies, surely they would be using them to plant rice? Jesus this man is a crackpot!

Frankly, I don't believe that. Even if it were true, it's still a shocking waste of water during a very bad drought.

Stupidity on a grand scale.

The stupidity to go ahead with Songkran is small scale stupidity compare to the large scale stupidity going on around the planet. What is happening today cannot be judged by looking in the rear view mirror into history like many think. We are similar to being on the very edge of the universe as it is unfolding.

"..... it won't affect the drought situation"

How can wasting millions of gallons of water not affect the drought situation?

Even in UK, when the reservoirs start getting low you have hosepipe and car cleaning bans.

It's a pain in the yaris to boot.

Car cleaning and garden watering goes on everyday for months - Song Khran hits different relatively smal areas one at a time over a period of about 5 days max - now go and compare the two.

5 days? That would be luxury! You obviousy don't live in Pattaya.

Look at it sensibly, we're in a period of severe drought. Don't you think it would be a little bit sensible to cut down on wastage? Especially since the farmers have been given a warning from the govt. Or are you just one of the fanboys who thinks that allowing such blatant water wastage reflects badly on the present govt?

It should continue...I love to see people having fun..

So you think it is OK to endanger the lifes of motorcyclists by throwing water at them as they ride past?

We live in a Wild Wild West World now anything goes. Stupidity knows no bounds now and you get the odd nut bar on here that thinks we should not "whine" about this problem. If you multiply that by many many nut bars and you begin to understand why the planet is in trouble. He writes a long blistering blah blah blah litany trying to look important. Common sense should trump stupidity unfortunately in this cultural case it does not.

Archived