Songkran Will Go On Despite Drought: Tourism Authority

rooster59

Wow, good to see the fun police don't rule Thailand.

It is a bit rich all the foreigners on here complaining about the Thais using THEIR water. Instead of calling off songkran why don't all these farang go home until the drought is over if you really want to help the farmers. How many liters of water does the farang use every year? I know I use more than any Thai will use splashing water on songkran.

Life is too short not to have fun. I have a good feeling that nobody will be going thirsty, nobody will die of hunger, the drought will break and everything will be ok.

Reading all these "sunny" replies makes me realise why we have a drought situation here and why it's bound to get worse. There's none so blind as those who refuse to see.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song Kran was never about throwing large volumes of water over each other. Love it or hate it - there's a serious drought at the moment.

I've always said they should just set up zones (Khoa San Road etc) and play safely within these confinements. Agree with it or not, participating in the 'fun' should be optional.

Also, whether the amount or water used during Song Kran is a drop in the ocean or a serious problem, wouldn't it be a good idea to use this event to promote awareness of water conservation?

Ah, Songkran with memories of severe injuries when on a moto a farang threw a bucket of crushed ICE in my face, laughed and then ran away as I crashed and bled. All the girls ran back to their bars and I had no help to get to a clinic. This happened on Soi 7 in Jomtien 4 years ago. I left the moto lying and I hobbled up the street to a clinic across Thappraya Rd. I don't mind this tradition on the Thai New Year and the Thai are mostly respectful and fun loving but the introduction of this totally drunken free-for-all for farangs of a certain alleged English speaking heritage is totally disgusting. I now travel over Songkran to other countries. I now drive a car. And still the officials declare SangKran to be a three day event. Pattaya <deleted>?

C'mon mate, for every farang throwing buckets of iced water there are a thousand Thais doing the same. Most of the damage is done by Thais on Thais.

How unusual!

No. Let's have a just a few more:

I still have the scar above my eye to remind me that Songkran in Pattaya is not what it should be, and for people who think we are whiners because we rather stay indoors (or leave) participate and have fun, and I was once like you.

But after spending some time down at the emergency room because of some "innocent" ice cube water throwing, you will learn but I just hope not the hard way as I had to do (and I was lucky)

--MJCM, 2014-04-06 19:20:28:

...last year I found several jerks were throwing cold water with large chunks of ice in the water. I was hit in the mouth with a chunk of ice the size of a fist last year and went home bleeding and in a considerable amount of pain. The injury could have been worse.

--willyumiii, on 30 Mar 2013 - 09:45:

The ONLY stupidity I saw this year was from FARANGS. My girlfriend copped a direct hit in the eye and had to go to the hospital.

--TigerandDog, 2015-04-17 10:35:07

One of my friends saw the motorcyclist in front of his bike collide with a cement electricity pylon in what looked like a fatal collision after being pelted in the face with a bucket of water over Songkran a couple of years back. I nearly went under a truck in Hua Hin after getting a bucket of water and ice cubes in my face on my push bike once.

--Arkady, on 05 Apr 2013 - 00:38:

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

--Ian Curtis, on 29 Mar 2013 - 23:52:

Lot of farang complaints there.

So what do you want to do? Call off Thai new year for the Thais?

I think you will find New Years in most countries the hospitals would be busier. And during Xmas. Should we call off Xmas?

It is pretty easy for me to avoid getting wet if I choose, even if I am in middle of the road on the main day. I have a water proof car. The taxis in Thailand are also waterproof and very cheap also compared to many other countries. My house is also waterproof.

But I choose to get wet, because it is fun.

You must be incredibly immune to boredom.

How unusual!

I still have the scar above my eye to remind me that Songkran in Pattaya is not what it should be, and for people who think we are whiners because we rather stay indoors (or leave) participate and have fun, and I was once like you.

But after spending some time down at the emergency room because of some "innocent" ice cube water throwing, you will learn but I just hope not the hard way as I had to do (and I was lucky)

...last year I found several jerks were throwing cold water with large chunks of ice in the water. I was hit in the mouth with a chunk of ice the size of a fist last year and went home bleeding and in a considerable amount of pain. The injury could have been worse.

The ONLY stupidity I saw this year was from FARANGS. My girlfriend copped a direct hit in the eye and had to go to the hospital.

One of my friends saw the motorcyclist in front of his bike collide with a cement electricity pylon in what looked like a fatal collision after being pelted in the face with a bucket of water over Songkran a couple of years back. I nearly went under a truck in Hua Hin after getting a bucket of water and ice cubes in my face on my push bike once.

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

I think you will find New Years in most countries the hospitals would be busier. And during Xmas. Should we call off Xmas?

It is pretty easy for me to avoid getting wet if I choose, even if I am in middle of the road on the main day. I have a water proof car. The taxis in Thailand are also waterproof and very cheap also compared to many other countries. My house is also waterproof.

Thai new year is the 1st of January, same as in most other countries in the world.

How unusual!

I made the mistake of walking near Soi 7 last year in Pattaya and was hit in my eye by a high powered water pistol from a farang who thought it was funny, I made to have a go at him but my girlfriend stopped me.

Songkran is officially from the 13th to the 15th a Friday but be rest assured it will continue over the week end.

I never see any one drink in the bars, they just stand there and throw water about, water bill for the owners sky high, drink takings zero.

You are just plain wrong. Pattaya always has its songkran later, for the last few years (at least) it has been on the 19th, and the official day this year is also the nineteenth. The reason given is so that the Thai hospitality workers can go home and celebrate with their families as is traditional for songkran and also have a fun day in Pattaya when they return. The naklua main day is before pattayas. Also good for people like me and most others who also get to have more than one songkran. Last year I had three, Hua hin, naklua and Pattaya. This year I will also have three, one in issan, then naklua and Pattaya.

Your claim about nobody drinking is also wrong. I think you will find soi 7 would sell more drinks during that day than an average Tuesday. I will be drinking on all my songkran days as I always do, with my friends who always do.

I never hear Thai people wanting to call it off. Only farangs.

Strangely enough in Pattaya last year it started on Sunday the 12th and finished on Sunday the 19th, dates this year, the same, Many businesses shops restaurants lose money as people stay indoors, I bet the restaurants/eating places, shopping malls, cinemas lose trade over the week as people are not prepared to sit in wet clothes.

http://www.songkran2015.com/songkran-2016-in-pattaya/

I have no objection to the Thai people celebrating etc, it's the ageing drunken farangs who 'go over the top' !

I don't know why this compulsion to blame farang for the bad behavior during Songkran. In my part of Pattaya I hardly see any farang taking part, it's mainly locals. I don't doubt that there are badly behaved farang but please stop trying to make out that we are responsible for all it's ills.

How unusual!

I made the mistake of walking near Soi 7 last year in Pattaya and was hit in my eye by a high powered water pistol from a farang who thought it was funny, I made to have a go at him but my girlfriend stopped me.

Songkran is officially from the 13th to the 15th a Friday but be rest assured it will continue over the week end.

I never see any one drink in the bars, they just stand there and throw water about, water bill for the owners sky high, drink takings zero.

You are just plain wrong. Pattaya always has its songkran later, for the last few years (at least) it has been on the 19th, and the official day this year is also the nineteenth. The reason given is so that the Thai hospitality workers can go home and celebrate with their families as is traditional for songkran and also have a fun day in Pattaya when they return. The naklua main day is before pattayas. Also good for people like me and most others who also get to have more than one songkran. Last year I had three, Hua hin, naklua and Pattaya. This year I will also have three, one in issan, then naklua and Pattaya.

Your claim about nobody drinking is also wrong. I think you will find soi 7 would sell more drinks during that day than an average Tuesday. I will be drinking on all my songkran days as I always do, with my friends who always do.

Strangely enough in Pattaya last year it started on Sunday the 12th and finished on Sunday the 19th, dates this year, the same, Many businesses shops restaurants lose money as people stay indoors, I bet the restaurants/eating places, shopping malls, cinemas lose trade over the week as people are not prepared to sit in wet clothes.

http://www.songkran2015.com/songkran-2016-in-pattaya/

I have no objection to the Thai people celebrating etc, it's the ageing drunken farangs who 'go over the top' !

I don't know why this compulsion to blame farang for the bad behavior during Songkran. In my part of Pattaya I hardly see any farang taking part, it's mainly locals. I don't doubt that there are badly behaved farang but please stop trying to make out that we are responsible for all it's ills.

How unusual!

Thai new year is the 1st of January, same as in most other countries in the world.

Oh ok, I must have a problem with my Thai language understanding. I always thought "sawadee bpee Mai tai" that everyone says to each other translates as "happy Thai new year"

What do you think it translates as?

Your claim about nobody drinking is also wrong. I think you will find soi 7 would sell more drinks during that day than an average Tuesday.

Very true. Beer bars in locations favored by water hooligans do sell a lot of beer. This doesn't really represent a big impact on the Pattaya economy, however,

A lot of the Thais who want to call it off have left town if they could. Girls working in the beer bars don't want to call it off for obvious reasons. So asking them gives a totally biased survey.

But I think you'll find that most average adult Thais who work in more respectable jobs, attempting to lead normal lives, don't like having to deal with long length of Pattaya's Hooligan Songkran. They might well enjoy the craziness of the peak day, esp. if relatives have come in from upcountry. They'll just love it.

I don't know why this compulsion to blame farang for the bad behavior during Songkran.

Farangs start Songkran early in Pattaya; Thais facilitate their doing so, e.g, vendors position themselves near the bars early on; and then the Thai bar girls etc. readily join in.

In the bar areas, Thais are as bad as farangs. Outside the bar areas, Thais are usually gentler, but then there are more of them too. So though one may be songraned more often by the Thais, it does seem that most of the worst incidents of those reported on the forum have been perpetrated by farang. You'll sometimes hear of Thais who actually heeded a plea of mercy but never farangs.

Oh ok, I must have a problem with my Thai language understanding. I always thought "sawadee bpee Mai tai" that everyone says to each other translates as "happy Thai new year"

I don't care what they say to each other, but last time I checked the January 1st 2559 was on the same day as January 1st 2016. And if you still have problems comprehending it, the day before that was December 31st 2558. Songkran is considered the start of the rain season.

At the end of the day it is only water.

No. You've been told in another thread, and told in a post above, about the ice and powder too. And the injuries. It's been noted that Pattaya's Songkran is much longer than one day. In fact it starts the afternoon on the 11th in the bar areas. But you ignore all these facts.

Previously you've had posts deleted for trolling on this very subject. I foresee more deletions coming, perhaps soon.

Well, I think our members can now make a good assessment of your lack of credibility on the subject and can see that you're trolling.

And you only get wet if you go outside.

Duh. But in Pattaya it's not so easy to stay inside for 9 days. One day is preparation, so that's TEN DAYS. YES, leaving is the other option, but that's also inconvenience and expense.

How do these people who can't cope handle the wet season?

Wet season: no ICE. POWDER. PVC PIPES. ATTEMPTS TO CRASH CARS AND BIKES. ATTACKS ON BAHT BUSES (which residents and a lot of tourists have to ride).

Ok, for a start, just because I don't agree wth your opinion does not mean I am trolling.

Secondly, I never said that Pattaya only has water play on a single day, I said that the main day is the 19th.

I am sorry that you may be inconvenienced by the Thais, (yes a Thai majority during songkran) and their traditions. It is their country and they have announced it is going ahead regardless of a drought. Up to them.

Most people in Thailand like it, but those who complain here complain the loudest. I am sitting with three Thais right now and they have scoffed at some of the comments here.

Ok then, there is also powder play which is about as painful as water.

I have never seen anyone throwing ice at each other, iced water, yes, but not ice. I am not saying it has never happened, but it definitely isn't the norm.

Residents and tourists don't have to catch baht buses. There are many taxis in Pattaya. Hundreds in fact. An oversupply if anything, I have never not been able to get one when required, they usually come early.

I am sorry you don't like it, but millions do. If the Thais didn't want it, they wouldn't do it.

Instead of complaining here, which won't change a thing, why don't you voice your concerns to the mayor of Pattaya. I don't think you will get far though, because the setup that Pattaya City put up on Beach Road last year indicates to me that it is very popular with the local voters. And also a money spinner for many people, the place teems with people, and they all have to eat, buy waterproof satchels, water pistols etc.

the high powered ones are banned and last year they were being confiscated.

Ok then, there is also powder play which is about as painful as water.

Total nonsense. You can go ahead and test that out right now. Get yourself a bottle of powder, open your eyes wide, and throw a handful in each eye.

After you get over that, you can compare with water in your eyes. Except to be fair, sometimes special ingredients are in the water. smile.png So try some dye in there, try filthy lake and street water, and possibly urine, as some posters have charged.

Residents and tourists don't have to catch baht buses. There are many taxis in Pattaya. Hundreds in fact. An oversupply if anything, I have never not been able to get one when required, they usually come early.

This is another nonsense argument.

Instead of complaining here, which won't change a thing, why don't you voice your concerns to the mayor of Pattaya. I don't think you will get far though, because the setup that Pattaya City put up on Beach Road last year indicates to me that it is very popular with the local voters.

Sorry, you don't know how things work. It's popular w/ a group who are discovering more ways to make money from it, of course. But they are a minority as usual. That's actually better though, as overall it seems to be making Songkran less popular than before.

The FAQ, coming out soon, doesn't attempt to change anything except improve the safety of residents and tourists with advice on how best to cope with Songkran, whether by leaving, staying, or going out and being a target. It also answers a lot of nonsense preemptively to cut down the amount of repetition and tired, already refuted asseritions such as your own.

I don't care what they say to each other, but last time I checked the January 1st 2559 was on the same day as January 1st 2016. And if you still have problems comprehending it, the day before that was December 31st 2558. Songkran is considered the start of the rain season.

I think you must live in a different Thailand to me. Ask any Thai when is Thai new year and they will tell you songkran, but you know better.

And you think that it is for the start of the rainy season. What are you on about.

Thailand has three official seasons - hot, cool, and wet. The hot season runs from March through to June, with April and May the hottest months of the year. That's what the Thais say anyway, but what would they know?

Fair enough if you don't like songkran, but don't make stuff up. Maybe you get your information from a mistaken farang. Better to ask the Thais.

"There's a drought, quick throw all the precious water on the road!"

There must be an alternative way to celebrate the festive.

I think my old grandmother used to say a fool and his water are soon parted. It has come to pass. I am against wasting a precious resource for whatever you want to call it. It is just another great religious holiday that was blown into a tourist nightmare over the decades. Same as Christmas was blown from a religious holiday into a lottery win for merchants. Its not even the water I mind so much as I find most people are courteous when it comes to dowsing the elderly. Its that window pane/pain rattling from the gas station across the road. It starts off at a decent level and then climbs into the stupidity range especially the bass.

We now know tourism is much more important to Thailand than having adequate water supply for the population.

I now say to the farmers.

Plant your rice crops.

please go out countryside,

than you will see how much water is needed for rice fields,

a drop ios used on songkran in comparison to farming !

It sure looks weird, reading about a massive drought, and on the same page having pictures of truckloads and buckets of water being thrown around for a week. Not the same kind of drought that I have experienced in some places...where you could not water your yard for weeks.

Never considered at all that the government could cancel an event this big, anyways.

It does seem wrong to be complaining of drought conditions one day and then permit the type of water wastage we see in Pattaya! It is over a week here and culminates in a last mad day where I just cannot guess the amount wasted.... but it sure as heck is a lot.

It typifies the Thai attitudes, fun first at all costs, making money first at all costs , worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Shame, I am no fan of Songkran, but may have to attend this years as my last opportunity for a good wash-down until the rains arrive in September!

Allow those that want to play with water do so with others also intent on playing. But those dressed up for an evening meal, those carrying children and shopping, and others clearly dressed for work should be left alone.

It is totally wrong, and outright dangerous, to randomly throw water, or aim a water gun at a motorcyclist, which can easily cause an accident resulting in severe injury or death. The picture shown in Post 104 above is a disgrace.

Wow so much negativity from people about another country and their culture. Why so? I wonder how many negative comments are from people who have decided to leave their home and live/retire in Thailand. If you don't like it, why go there? Crazy. Songkran is a religious festival is it not? The only people I really see doing crazy things during Songkran, and I've only been to one, in Chiang Mai, were farang. I took a family of young Thai kids around with me, we got water pistols and had a fantastic day. We did lunch together. I never knew these kids (three aged from about 7 - 14, a mother of a friend of mine who had to work that day let me take care of them) and we had a most wonderful family day. I'll never forget it, and I doubt the kids will either. There is probably more water lost through rotting pipes, bad toilet systems and leaking taps in Thailand every day of every year. I know in Chiang Mai most use buckets of iced water from the moat.

I'll be there in Pataya this year for my three weeks with my wife and hope to have a wonderful time. Most people in Thailand are friendly and lovely from my experience, but like all countries you will get a bad element.

Happy Songkran all

"Hotels are businesses that consume large amounts of water, he said. If the drought lasts through the months of May and June, which is the tourism low season, the situation will be worse for us.

Earlier this week the military has ordered all relevant agencies to gear up for the drought season and set aside reserve water supply for the countrys rice farms and orchards. Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha visited farms in Uthai Thani on Friday to inspect drought preparations. "

But songkran won't affect the drought problem? Yeah...not buying that.

Why not be honest and admit that songkran water fighting will take place no matter what anyone says?

Try stopping that and the govt really will face trouble. You can delay elections all you want but don't dare mess with fun.

Yep. That's it. I like to say, "Reality IS".

Wow!

Quite a number of depressed farangs on this thread.

Personally I like to see Thais happy and enjoying their Thai New Year.

Songkran is another one of these times that make me realize that I will never go back to the depressing western world.

Having said that, I do understand that some farangs hate to get splashed water while on the way to their usual bar stool. But it certainly makes Thais happy :)

I like happy people :)

Songran is fun :)

Whether you like Songkran or not is not the point. Thailand has a serious drought problem and everyone both Thai and Foreign should be expected to help the situation. Water throwing should be limited to 1 day only and the Government needs to request everyone comply. The rest of the holiday can be filled with a festival atmosphere offering many cultural aspects of Thailand- Thai Dancing; Likay; Concerts; Street Vendors; Food Festivals. Why should farmers be asked to not plant a second rice crop and the rest of the country make no sacrifice for the drought? Throwing water is not the central theme of Songkran > MOst Thai people would accept this if the Government would simply explain the situation and ask for their help..

Note to Thai Visa Peanut Gallery:

You all sound like a bunch of whining dried out old women ... who simply can not stomach seeing a million people out having good clean fun.

It seems to be that membership to your club requires a two digit IQ, since you cry about a pail full of water like it was electricity .. a commodity you can waste over a very broad geography.

You see ... my dear Einsteins .. water .. is a very local commodity. A squirt gun full of water in BKK, does nothing to the Isaan situation ... etc ... etc .. etc....

I would guess one would be hard pressed to even measure the quantity of water depleted from a reservoir. And the Thai people LOVE to play with THEIR water! Oh, and yes .. the tourists do really turn up and spend some serious cash in certain areas ... a "win - win"

God, how I pity those who live in the Kingdom and can not embrace the culture .. and ENJOY it!

You see, I personally do NOT like Songkran because it interferes with my daily life.

I do not like water thrown on me, so for those days, simply stay around the condo, work out and swim ... etc.

I fly my wife back for a holiday with her family, and some water fight fun with old friends.

But what I do NOT do is WHINE about it!

Grumpy old men with nothing more to do than B***** and moan about every GD think that happens in a country they are GUESTS in!

AMAZING FARANG

Thais turn on Mekong River pumps without consulting regional partners

Thailand hopes to help its drought-affected farmers by “using” water from the Mekong, but those downstream may be adversely affected

Thailand has begun pumping water from the Mekong River into drought-affected areas in the northeast of the country in a move that could have severe impacts for countries downstream.

At present, three pumps, each of them capable of pumping 12,000 litres per second from the river, are in operation. Thailand is experiencing its worst dry spell in ten years, and provinces in the north and northeast have been hit hard. Production of rice and rubber – both key export crops – has plummeted, adding to the country’s existing economic woes.

facepalm.gif

26-01-2016 http://sea-globe.com/thais-turn-on-mekong-river-pumps-without-consulting-regional-partners

Archived