Songkran Will Go On Despite Drought: Tourism Authority

rooster59

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether you like Songkran or not is not the point. Thailand has a serious drought problem and everyone both Thai and Foreign should be expected to help the situation. Water throwing should be limited to 1 day only and the Government needs to request everyone comply. The rest of the holiday can be filled with a festival atmosphere offering many cultural aspects of Thailand- Thai Dancing; Likay; Concerts; Street Vendors; Food Festivals. Why should farmers be asked to not plant a second rice crop and the rest of the country make no sacrifice for the drought? Throwing water is not the central theme of Songkran > MOst Thai people would accept this if the Government would simply explain the situation and ask for their help..

You post seems to indicate that the reason the farmers are being asked not to plant a second crop because the water is needed for the songkran festival. It isn't that simple.

So you think playing with water is not the central theme of songkran, try telling that to Thais. Having songkran without water play just wouldn't be songkran.

"Sorry kids, no fun this year, because a few grumpy farangs don't like getting wet"

If you bother to listen to the song the Thais play everyday at 8am and 6pm you will realize that Thailand is for the Thais, every inch of it. They are very warm and friendly people to their foreign guests but they really don't appreciate being told what to do by foreigners.

At the end of the day, it is totally avoidable anyway. You can even experience it without getting wet at all. In a car as I did with my old parents three years ago who loved seeing the Thais have so much fun.

Calling off songkran for a few farangs would be like calling off Xmas in a western country so as not to offend Muslims.

never mind the drought songkran must continue they want to get their priorities right what is more important the drought or songkran ?

What is more important is that there is water to FLUSH my loo. What do tourist do when there is no water water in their hotel toilets

"Sorry kids, no fun this year, because a few grumpy farangs don't like getting wet"

Yet another phony attempt to minimize by ignoring the ice, powder, and aggressive assaults, attempting to cause accidents. Is the Thai lady in post #104 having fun? If she doesn't want to have an accident and go to the hospital, is she just being grumpy? If she's injured for life, is it quite OK 'cause the idiots who caused it were "havin' fun?"

Did you try the powder test on yourself yet?

Water hooliganism is against Thai law itself, and the law applies to both Thais and foreigners. Normally you do have the right to complain and expect redress if you're assaulted with intent to cause injury. And normally even the stupidest water hooligan would totally agree with this point, except when it comes to being able freely to do the assaulting himself.

You can even experience it without getting wet at all. In a car as I did with my old parents three years ago who loved seeing the Thais have so much fun.

Cars aren't as safe as boosters would like to believe. I gave some examples above; here are a couple more:

Q: Just ride with your car windows rolled up.

A: No, the windshield and rear-view mirrors get powdered and pasted so the driver can't see clearly. Dangerous? Oh, yes.

Again:

I nearly had a very bad accident driving a car down a straight highway at about 90 kph, when all of a sudden a couple of kids darted out and threw two buckets of water that hit my windscreen. The force of water against my windscreen moving at 90 kph cause a huge noise and caused me to momentarily be unable to see do to the water.

--bubba, on 29 Mar 2013 - 13:26:

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

--Ian Curtis, on 29 Mar 2013 - 23:52:

Repeat this to yourself 10 times: Some of us don't own cars.

But some of our biggest loudmouthed Songkran boosters here on the forum do merely drive around in their cars with their windows rolled up. For all the big talk, they don't really participate—just watch, members of the Peanut Gallery. Real badasses!

Calling off songkran for a few farangs would be like calling off Xmas in a western country so as not to offend Muslims.

You've exaggerated the point. Farangs aren't asking for calling off Songkran. Nobody hates real Songkran in a village, or even a small town. What we don't like is the excessive length of it, the violence, and the "forced" participation. Hooligan-on-hooligan would be fine; let 'em have at it, let social Darwinism rule. And yes, we have the right not to like it. if one has the right to chortle and gurgle for Songkran and jerk off over a water gun, one also has the right to express one's legitimate, entirely reasonable displeasure at being forcibly inconvenienced, endangered, and perhaps injured—permitted, with no recourse. Why should we like being assaulted? That is a legit complaint. Yours is the real whinge around here.

As explained above, normal, average, everyday Thai residents of Pattaya don't like the excessive length of the hooliganism. You've been surveying the wrong crowd. wink.png A lot of Thai businesses lose money, but a minority of well-connected people make money and have found new ways to make more.

Yet disgust has reached such level that more regulation is slowly being applied. Partly banning PVC pipes was a step in the right direction.

Thai authorities could enforce the law and they could easily regulate Songkran as tightly as they wished. Money isn't always #1: the ban on selling alcohol from 2 - 5 PM must be costing billions, and it's enforced pretty well, too. Go-go bar locations and operating hours are regulated quite well. All traffic is forced to stop for certain convoys--or else. Bangkok Songkran hooliganism is restricted pretty well to a few zones. Those are just a few examples.

Participants in Hooligan Songkran seem a large number but are in fact a small minority compared w/ the total population. Nor are they the best representatives of the population, to put it mildly. Should educated, rational, responsible farangs encourage idiocy among the local population? I think not.

Enough w/ the nonsense that the wasting of water during the drought can't be stopped or at least greatly minimized.

This is Thailand where Songkran is one of the yearly highlights. If you do not like Thai customs, then why are you wasting space by even being here?

Q: f u dnt lk sngkrn, u dnt lk pty & tIlnd!

A: No, Your Thainess, most of us living here like Pattaya and Thailand. We don't have to like EVERYTHING, though. You don't either. Me, I'm a big supporter of Pattaya, love the city except for the traffic, lack of parking, and PATTAYA SONGKRAN. So then why not have a traditional Thai Songkran with no water throwing or a normal 3-day Songkran? [crickets chirping]

SANY2314.jpg

Real Thai Songkran

. . . my first glimpse of Songkran was 25 years ago in Esarn. I was in Khon Kaen for the whole duration and had no idea what was going on, but the atmosphere was festive, friendly and incredibly positive. People would go around carrying a small bowl of water with flowers in it and after asking for your permission, they would dip their fingers in the water and gently sprinkle some over you. A blessing... I was told at the time that Songkran was about compassion, making amends to elders, seeking forgiveness, mending damaged relationships... THAT was the tradition of Songkran.

Between then and now, someone obviously found the magic stone that turns gold into lead...

--Yann55, 2014-04-18 10:24:07:

This is Thailand where Songkran is one of the yearly highlights. If you do not like Thai customs, then why are you wasting space by even being here?

Q: f u dnt lk sngkrn, u dnt lk pty & tIlnd!

A: No, Your Thainess, most of us living here like Pattaya and Thailand. We don't have to like EVERYTHING, though. You don't either. Me, I'm a big supporter of Pattaya, love the city except for the traffic, lack of parking, and PATTAYA SONGKRAN. So then why not have a traditional Thai Songkran with no water throwing or a normal 3-day Songkran? [crickets chirping]

SANY2314.jpg

Real Thai Songkran

. . . my first glimpse of Songkran was 25 years ago in Esarn. I was in Khon Kaen for the whole duration and had no idea what was going on, but the atmosphere was festive, friendly and incredibly positive. People would go around carrying a small bowl of water with flowers in it and after asking for your permission, they would dip their fingers in the water and gently sprinkle some over you. A blessing... I was told at the time that Songkran was about compassion, making amends to elders, seeking forgiveness, mending damaged relationships... THAT was the tradition of Songkran.

Between then and now, someone obviously found the magic stone that turns gold into lead...

--Yann55, 2014-04-18 10:24:07:

I will put on my hard hat and agree. This holiday has transformed over the decades into the water wars we endure today. It shows how we humans have evolved over the years by taking a quiet peaceful cultural holiday and turned it into a physical assault in some cases. Read the various injuries replies. It has turned into a gladiatorial sport minus the religious aspects to suit the times we live in. When people come out and make fun of their fellow man who have repeated stories of injury and death in some cases we are indeed heading back into the dark ages. I guess history does repeat itself.

To the poster who seems to indicate I wanted to cancel the Holiday- that is not what I said. I said there is a drought in Thailand and the Government should limit the throwing of water to 1 day only and enforce it. the other days can be filled with Thai cultural evens- Thai Dancing; Thai food festivals; Likay Performances; Luk Thung and much more. Throwing water is not even what Songkran is about- check out the historical context of the holiday and read up on it. When there is a crisis in a country- such as a drought- everyone needs to give up what is the norm and co-operate for the greater good.It is strictly up to Thailand how it wants to handle it but many people who later have water rationing because conservation efforts were fruitless should not complain. In addition, if some people cannot figure how to have 'fun' without a 3-5 day bout of drenching themselves and others with precious water- they obviously know little about what having fun really is.Just remember, while you are having your 'fun'- some Thai people will not have an income without the second rice crop and will fall further into poverty. How about a reasoned approach to this issue.

Lot of farang complaints there.

So what do you want to do? Call off Thai new year for the Thais?

I think you will find New Years in most countries the hospitals would be busier. And during Xmas. Should we call off Xmas?

It is pretty easy for me to avoid getting wet if I choose, even if I am in middle of the road on the main day. I have a water proof car. The taxis in Thailand are also waterproof and very cheap also compared to many other countries. My house is also waterproof.

But I choose to get wet, because it is fun.

Thai new year is the 1st of January, same as in most other countries in the world.

Oh ok, I must have a problem with my Thai language understanding. I always thought "sawadee bpee Mai tai" that everyone says to each other translates as "happy Thai new year"

What do you think it translates as?

I don't care what they say to each other, but last time I checked the January 1st 2559 was on the same day as January 1st 2016. And if you still have problems comprehending it, the day before that was December 31st 2558. Songkran is considered the start of the rain season.

The Songkran festival is celebrated in Thailand as the traditional New Year's Day from 13 to 15 April. The word "Songkran" comes from the Sanskrit word saṃkrānti (Devanāgarī: संक्रांति),[1] literally "astrological passage", meaning transformation or change. It coincides with the rising of Aries on the astrological chart, the New Year of many calendars of South and Southeast Asia. The festive occasion is in keeping with the Buddhist/Hindu solar calendar.

Songkhran is almost 10 days in Pattaya, ..... and must be endured by those of us that live here! It is not fun and can be very dangerous. The water is full of all kinds of nasty things, ... and is thrown by the barrel full. How about we get back to the original tradition of songkhran and show respect to the elders and reduce to a sprinkle the water that is used

The reasons songkran will go ahead this year is because it`s a massive national and tourist goldmine and if it`s banned that means the authorities will have to admit there is a severe drought problem and the situation is much worse then they are saying. Massive loss of face and profits. Make the most of it today, don`t give a s**t about tomorrow.

Better to do this the Thai way and let the situation progress into crisis, claim it has caught them unawares so no one is to blame and then call for a state of emergency

It's only water

No. Why lie?

And what "water" it is too. Shall we all wish you get some of that shit thrown in your eyes? You gonna laugh? That would be a laugh, wouldn't it? What's mere eyesight anyway?

and it's not hard to avoid.

Q: Long-term residents know the worst areas and can avoid them.

A: You have to know Pattaya really well to avoid all clusters of beer bars. Besides, many tourists and residents do ride the baht buses —esp. what with the traffic and parking situation nowadays—and most buses travel via the Beach Rd/2nd Rd circuit.

post-53404-0-66617800-1366025613.jpg

Baht bus under attack

Photo: SurfRider

More baht bus photos here.

Word of warning for bespectacled riders:

It's dangerous for people who really need glasses. If you wear them, they can be blown off your head. If you don't, you can't see. Decisions decisions. Of course you can take them off while riding the bus.

--Jingthing, 2014-04-13 23:03:23:

And there are the Taliban trucks out continually cruising the streets.

If you don't have a sense of humour, Thailand is not for you...

Q: It's harmless fun and a good laugh.

A: No. Vehicle accidents and injuries do happen because of the water, powder, and ice throwing. Eye and ear infections are not uncommon as much of the water is quite filthy. In fact, one TV member almost lost an eye to infection. Fights break out (see the threads here and here ). An accident is possible at any time because all motorbikes, baht buses, and cars are under continuous attack with intent to cause injury. Not sporadic attack— continuous, by drunken Songkran hooligans. Fortunately, owing to luck or skill, most bikes don't crash, but why should any drivers be subjected to the risk? Well, just because hooligans are enjoying trying to crash vehicles and cause accidents. And their money finds its way into the right pockets so that authorities permit them to do so.

Try playing Pattaya Songkran Hooligan in any developed country, like Norway, where government corruption doesn't make it "legally" permissible (when it actually isn't) and seemingly acceptable. Yeah, throw a bucket of filthy water/ice/powder on a passing car's windshield or in a biker's face there. Then explain to the "grumpy" driver and police that you're just "being friendly and having fun, feeling young." Let us know how well that defense played in court.

Now for some MORE testimonials:

jackflash, on 29 Mar 2013 - 10:58

I have seen many accidents caused by idiots throwing a bucket of water at a passing motocycle.

Iced water is the latest stupid idea, and has an even worse effect.

Last year I saw some idiot farangs throughing water with ICE CUBES.

Complete and utter idiots.

theoldgit, on 2013-03-29 11:04:20

. . . saw a young couple holding a baby on a bike lose control and fall off last year when some numpty thought it would be great fun to empty a bucket of water over them.

Kerryd, on 2013-03-29 12:04:59

Almost crashed a couple times on the big bike. Even with goggles and a helmet on, a bucket of ice water to the face while you're riding is still quite a shock.

Saw 2 girls on a scooter wipe out after getting nailed in the face with a bucket of water while they were riding along a street (wasn't from a truck though and granted, that was about 4 years ago now).

bubba, on 29 Mar 2013 - 13:26

It's not just throwing water at moving motorcycles. I nearly had a very bad accident driving a car down a straight highway at about 90 kph, when all of a sudden a couple of kids darted out and threw two buckets of water that hit my windscreen. The force of water against my windscreen moving at 90 kph cause a huge noise and caused me to momentarily be unable to see do to the water.

This sort of thing is very, very dangerous and could cause one to lose control, whilst killing themselves and perhaps other who may me standing along the side of the road. Throwing buckets of water at passing vehicles has nothing to do with the real meaning of Songkran, and of course I would be dreaming to think anything would ever been done to stop it.

oohlalanev, on 29 Mar 2013 - 08:39: Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a motorbike having an accident while getting water dumped on them from a pickup?

SteeleJoe, on 29 Mar 2013 - 09:00: Yes

Keesters, on 30 Mar 2013 - 08:23: yes, me

I had a friend die last year from jerks throwing ice water. She died taking evasive action and was hit by a pick up. I'm getting out of town again this year.

--thaikahunathaikahuna, on 2014-03-02 13:24:27:

Most adult residents of Pattaya ain't laughing for good reason. We've been through multiple Songkrans; we know quite well what it's all about. Women don't think being groped is a good laugh either. I recall a singularly bitter post about that by a farang woman.

A few weeks after songkran the drought situation will be described as critical and farmers made scapegoats. When the locals use water machine outside my condo they keep the button pressed until all water's depleted even if their bottle is filled. Just to "get money's worth"? Stop someone else using the 2baht's worth left?

It's only water

No. Why lie?

And what "water" it is too. Shall we all wish you get some of that shit thrown in your eyes? You gonna laugh? That would be a laugh, wouldn't it? What's mere eyesight anyway?

and it's not hard to avoid.

Q: Long-term residents know the worst areas and can avoid them.

A: You have to know Pattaya really well to avoid all clusters of beer bars. Besides, many tourists and residents do ride the baht buses —esp. what with the traffic and parking situation nowadays—and most buses travel via the Beach Rd/2nd Rd circuit.

post-53404-0-66617800-1366025613.jpg

Baht bus under attack

Photo: SurfRider

More baht bus photos here.

Word of warning for bespectacled riders:

It's dangerous for people who really need glasses. If you wear them, they can be blown off your head. If you don't, you can't see. Decisions decisions. Of course you can take them off while riding the bus.

--Jingthing, 2014-04-13 23:03:23:

And there are the Taliban trucks out continually cruising the streets.

If you don't have a sense of humour, Thailand is not for you...

Q: It's harmless fun and a good laugh.

A: No. Vehicle accidents and injuries do happen because of the water, powder, and ice throwing. Eye and ear infections are not uncommon as much of the water is quite filthy. In fact, one TV member almost lost an eye to infection. Fights break out (see the threads here and here ). An accident is possible at any time because all motorbikes, baht buses, and cars are under continuous attack with intent to cause injury. Not sporadic attack— continuous, by drunken Songkran hooligans. Fortunately, owing to luck or skill, most bikes don't crash, but why should any drivers be subjected to the risk? Well, just because hooligans are enjoying trying to crash vehicles and cause accidents. And their money finds its way into the right pockets so that authorities permit them to do so.

Try playing Pattaya Songkran Hooligan in any developed country, like Norway, where government corruption doesn't make it "legally" permissible (when it actually isn't) and seemingly acceptable. Yeah, throw a bucket of filthy water/ice/powder on a passing car's windshield or in a biker's face there. Then explain to the "grumpy" driver and police that you're just "being friendly and having fun, feeling young." Let us know how well that defense played in court.

Now for some MORE testimonials:

jackflash, on 29 Mar 2013 - 10:58

I have seen many accidents caused by idiots throwing a bucket of water at a passing motocycle.

Iced water is the latest stupid idea, and has an even worse effect.

Last year I saw some idiot farangs throughing water with ICE CUBES.

Complete and utter idiots.

theoldgit, on 2013-03-29 11:04:20

. . . saw a young couple holding a baby on a bike lose control and fall off last year when some numpty thought it would be great fun to empty a bucket of water over them.

Kerryd, on 2013-03-29 12:04:59

Almost crashed a couple times on the big bike. Even with goggles and a helmet on, a bucket of ice water to the face while you're riding is still quite a shock.

Saw 2 girls on a scooter wipe out after getting nailed in the face with a bucket of water while they were riding along a street (wasn't from a truck though and granted, that was about 4 years ago now).

bubba, on 29 Mar 2013 - 13:26

It's not just throwing water at moving motorcycles. I nearly had a very bad accident driving a car down a straight highway at about 90 kph, when all of a sudden a couple of kids darted out and threw two buckets of water that hit my windscreen. The force of water against my windscreen moving at 90 kph cause a huge noise and caused me to momentarily be unable to see do to the water.

This sort of thing is very, very dangerous and could cause one to lose control, whilst killing themselves and perhaps other who may me standing along the side of the road. Throwing buckets of water at passing vehicles has nothing to do with the real meaning of Songkran, and of course I would be dreaming to think anything would ever been done to stop it.

oohlalanev, on 29 Mar 2013 - 08:39: Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a motorbike having an accident while getting water dumped on them from a pickup?

SteeleJoe, on 29 Mar 2013 - 09:00: Yes

Keesters, on 30 Mar 2013 - 08:23: yes, me

I had a friend die last year from jerks throwing ice water. She died taking evasive action and was hit by a pick up. I'm getting out of town again this year.

--thaikahunathaikahuna, on 2014-03-02 13:24:27:

Most adult residents of Pattaya ain't laughing for good reason. We've been through multiple Songkrans; we know quite well what it's all about. Women don't think being groped is a good laugh either. I recall a singularly bitter post about that by a farang woman.

I and millions of others like and enjoy Songkran, you seemingly don't.

Up to you and so what ?

Thankfully miseries won't be able to impose their selfish will.

I and millions of others like and enjoy Songkran, you seemingly don't.

Up to you and so what ?

Thankfully miseries won't be able to impose their selfish will.

Q: Bt nobody's pAin attn 2 ur complaints, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

A: Oh, we know that. But a major purpose of the annual HATE SONGKRAN threads in the Pattaya forum is to share survival information for those of us who live here in Pattaya. And as I said venting just feels good too. We're gonna keep doing it.

We Songkran refuseniks ain't pAin attn 2 ur name-calling, emoticons, and urgings either.

Some members do believe that disgust on the part of Thais, mainly, and farangs will eventually be heard by City Hall. Naturally, other members pooh-pooh the very idea. But Songkran definitely seems to be getting milder. Fewer participants, better mornings, more serious PVC pipe confiscation, a bit more "festival" organization—these will represent decline to the hooligans but improvements to everyone else. Modest improvements, to be sure, but welcome nonetheless.

Loss of the hooligans' weapons of choice, PVC pipes, must have been dispiriting: PVC pipes make one feel SO badass and are perfect for taking out eyes and ears.

post-14882-0-61926800-1456652069_thumb.j

You don't need that ear, fool.

Some hooligans are no doubt running up against the stricter visa requirements and overstay penalties. Perhaps lackluster economies, a discouraging political environment, price inflation, and the poor exchange rates, real or imagined, so bemoaned by some of our pensioners finally did combine to overtax the paltry hooligan budget.

Maybe the Thai residents and businesses of Pattaya have grown so tired of it for 10 days that City Hall has had to pay some attention to them. What kind of business is Central doing during Songkran? Anybody selling any condos? We still got a few in stock.gigglem.gif

I wonder if Thailand would not be better off without the scores of grumpy depressed farangs who seem not to be happy with the local customs, habits, festivals, ways of living, visa laws, education system, society, rich and poors, cold water...

Songran, the Thai New Year, seems like unbearable to some. They should take a holiday somewhere else to let the Thais enjoy their festival. And why not stay away a bit longer to allow everyone an occasion to be happy, just happy.

The grumpiness of the farang world is nearly surreal.

I look forward to being all wet during Songran, laugh, and make the people around me happy :)

Jsixpack,

Er, have I done the powder test on myself yet ? Not sure what you mean but I have copped plenty of powder in the eyes. No biggie, just wash it out with all the readily available water flying around.

Most people are not trying to injure others, it is a water fight.

Bubba nearly had an accident, but didn't !

I didn't realize that water play was against the law. I find that a bit surprising actually as I have seen police get sprayed (severely)

I doubt the girl in the photo actually came off and went to hospital. The Thais are very skillful riders. I NEVER spray people on motorbikes. Nor do I spray people after 5pm nor do I spray people that ask me not to. I have been sprayed at night after changing into dry clothes, I could have cried, but chose to laugh instead.

Repeat this 10 times. Pattaya has very affordable waterproof taxis. I use them when I am drinking alcohol. I get scared on taxi motorbikes.

There are farangs wanting to call off the water play and there are farangs who hate it even in small villages. Read some of the posts.

A lot of ordinary Thais make plenty out off selling food, drinks etc to the masses. Have you ever really been to songkran in Pattaya? The streets are line with all sorts of sellers. They are not the elites that you claim. All along sukhumvit, theprasit, tai, klang and nua and everywhere in between. Hundreds or thousands of them.

Nobody sprays the food carts because that would be disrespectful and cost people money. I am sure more money will get spent on Songkran Tuesday than a normal Tuesday when all these Thais are stuck at work.

As I said I have experienced both being in the thick of it getting saturated and powdered and using the car and staying completely dry, and also in the back of a pick up with Thais.

Traveling at 90kms an hour during songkran is dangerous and stupid! Bad boy Bubba. Lucky to go over 20kms, more like 5.

I agree with those high powered tubes being banned, and they were last year. Hardly saw any compared to previous years.

I am not claiming to be an educated, rational or reasonable farang.

What may seem idiotic to you may seem like fun to the locals.

Farangs complaining about songkran to me is like a gate crasher showing up to a party UNINVITED and then complaining about the food and the music being to loud and then turning it down.

At the end of the day, this is Thailand, the Thais can do what they want with their Thai water. If the Thais ban water play then I won't do it either.

You won't change you opinion, and neither will I. I agree to disagree with you.

Sawadee Bpee mai tai krap.

'“It’s a festival that draws interest from many foreign tourists,” Yuthasak told reporters Friday. “And it won’t affect the drought situation.”' Three days, plus the week in Pattaya, and no doubt in other provinces. The TAT continues to lose the plot, but then the decision on water usage is not theirs to make.

Archived