Songkran Will Go On Despite Drought: Tourism Authority

rooster59

I wonder if Thailand would not be better off without the scores of grumpy depressed farangs

Q: f u dont lk sngkrn, ur a grumpy old git. Grumpy old gi-it! Grumpy old gi-it!

A: The usual troll name-calling ain't gonna help your case, GI Joe.

"Geezer" or ageist equivalent and "scaredy-cat" are the typical puerile taunts of losers.

Dislike of Pattaya Songkran, as you'll eventually discover, is just an aspect of reaching adulthood, mentally speaking. Lots of, like, really cool adults of all ages hate the inconvenience of Pattaya Songkran for TEN DAYS. We live here and need to live our lives, shop, bank, work, see doctors, take the kids out. It's truly amazing how often the need arises during the 9 days of Songkran "action" for a repair part, like a pipe fitting. And the route to the favored hardware shop happens to pass through Hooligansville.

Comfortable in homes/condos/apts, residents of all ages have plenty of interesting things to do other than get out into Songkran. In fact Songkran interferes with the other things. For us Songkran's NOT a novelty. Been there, done it, got the water/ice/powder already. Why should any permanent resident of any age, Thai or farang, who has a life here, want a Pattaya-style hooligan Songkran for TEN DAYS? [crickets chirping]

As I said, what we don't like is the excessive length of it, the violence, and the "forced" participation. Hooligan-on-hooligan would be fine; let 'em have at it, let social Darwinism rule. And yes, we have the right not to like it. if one has the right to chortle and gurgle for Songkran and jerk off over a water gun, one also has the right to express one's legitimate, entirely reasonable displeasure at being forcibly inconvenienced, endangered, and perhaps injured—permitted, with no recourse. Why should we like being assaulted? That is a legit complaint. Yours is the real whinge around here.

Try taking your wife/girlfriend to work on a motorbike during this wonderful enjoyable time and see how much you like it then. Not knocking Pattaya or the life in general just the morons who insist on soaking people who actually have to work for a living on their way to work.

--gmac, on 2012-02-23 11:14:11

The "grumpy old git" charge is merely a rationalization for hooliganism that victimizes people of all ages who just aren't stupid enough to enjoy being victims. Again, nobody's in the least intimidated by it, sorry.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jsixpack,

Er, have I done the powder test on myself yet ? Not sure what you mean but I have copped plenty of powder in the eyes. No biggie, just wash it out with all the readily available water flying around.

Most people are not trying to injure others, it is a water fight.

Bubba nearly had an accident, but didn't !

I didn't realize that water play was against the law. I find that a bit surprising actually as I have seen police get sprayed (severely)

I doubt the girl in the photo actually came off and went to hospital. The Thais are very skillful riders. I NEVER spray people on motorbikes. Nor do I spray people after 5pm nor do I spray people that ask me not to. I have been sprayed at night after changing into dry clothes, I could have cried, but chose to laugh instead.

Repeat this 10 times. Pattaya has very affordable waterproof taxis. I use them when I am drinking alcohol. I get scared on taxi motorbikes.

There are farangs wanting to call off the water play and there are farangs who hate it even in small villages. Read some of the posts.

A lot of ordinary Thais make plenty out off selling food, drinks etc to the masses. Have you ever really been to songkran in Pattaya? The streets are line with all sorts of sellers. They are not the elites that you claim. All along sukhumvit, theprasit, tai, klang and nua and everywhere in between. Hundreds or thousands of them.

Nobody sprays the food carts because that would be disrespectful and cost people money. I am sure more money will get spent on Songkran Tuesday than a normal Tuesday when all these Thais are stuck at work.

As I said I have experienced both being in the thick of it getting saturated and powdered and using the car and staying completely dry, and also in the back of a pick up with Thais.

Traveling at 90kms an hour during songkran is dangerous and stupid! Bad boy Bubba. Lucky to go over 20kms, more like 5.

I agree with those high powered tubes being banned, and they were last year. Hardly saw any compared to previous years.

I am not claiming to be an educated, rational or reasonable farang.

What may seem idiotic to you may seem like fun to the locals.

Farangs complaining about songkran to me is like a gate crasher showing up to a party UNINVITED and then complaining about the food and the music being to loud and then turning it down.

At the end of the day, this is Thailand, the Thais can do what they want with their Thai water. If the Thais ban water play then I won't do it either.

You won't change you opinion, and neither will I. I agree to disagree with you.

Sawadee Bpee mai tai krap.

'The Thais are very skillful riders.' Seriously? You must know a rare breed.

' I NEVER spray people on motorbikes. Nor ... do I spray people that ask me not to.' You might not, but plenty do. I've had some moronic westerner, in the past, spray my then toddler with a high-powered gun, then seem surprised when I got annoyed.

'Nobody sprays the food carts because that would be disrespectful and cost people money.' The Thais (and numerous water-spraying westerners) concerned about being respectful during Songkran? You're joking, yet again.

I and millions of others like and enjoy Songkran, you seemingly don't.

Up to you and so what ?

Thankfully miseries won't be able to impose their selfish will.

Q: Bt nobody's pAin attn 2 ur complaints, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

A: Oh, we know that. But a major purpose of the annual HATE SONGKRAN threads in the Pattaya forum is to share survival information for those of us who live here in Pattaya. And as I said venting just feels good too. We're gonna keep doing it.

We Songkran refuseniks ain't pAin attn 2 ur name-calling, emoticons, and urgings either.

Some members do believe that disgust on the part of Thais, mainly, and farangs will eventually be heard by City Hall. Naturally, other members pooh-pooh the very idea. But Songkran definitely seems to be getting milder. Fewer participants, better mornings, more serious PVC pipe confiscation, a bit more "festival" organizationthese will represent decline to the hooligans but improvements to everyone else. Modest improvements, to be sure, but welcome nonetheless.

Loss of the hooligans' weapons of choice, PVC pipes, must have been dispiriting: PVC pipes make one feel SO badass and are perfect for taking out eyes and ears.

attachicon.gifidiot.jpg

You don't need that ear, fool.

Some hooligans are no doubt running up against the stricter visa requirements and overstay penalties. Perhaps lackluster economies, a discouraging political environment, price inflation, and the poor exchange rates, real or imagined, so bemoaned by some of our pensioners finally did combine to overtax the paltry hooligan budget.

Maybe the Thai residents and businesses of Pattaya have grown so tired of it for 10 days that City Hall has had to pay some attention to them. What kind of business is Central doing during Songkran? Anybody selling any condos? We still got a few in stock.gigglem.gif

Ahhh, now I understand where you are coming from. You sell condos in Pattaya!!!!! A Pattaya real estate agent. Any formal qualifications for that? I always wondered how you blokes get away with doing a job that a Thai could do. You were claiming to be educated in a previous post. Seems a strange job for an educated person.

How many have you sold in the last 10 days without songkran. I guess, none at all. A massive oversupply currently but they keep building them to sell off the plan to suckers. I am not surprised you still have a few in stock. I am tipping more than a few actually.

And do you really think that Pattaya City Hall is listening to farangs complaining about songkran? Last year they put on the most elaborate set up ever. The Thais are good at paying lip service though.

And let's put this myth away that years ago the Thais didn't splash water on songkran, a simple google search will prove that it is simply a farang myth.

Jsixpack,

Er, have I done the powder test on myself yet ? Not sure what you mean but I have copped plenty of powder in the eyes. No biggie, just wash it out with all the readily available water flying around.

I didn't realize that water play was against the law. I find that a bit surprising actually as I have seen police get sprayed (severely)

I doubt the girl in the photo actually came off and went to hospital. The Thais are very skillful riders. I NEVER spray people on motorbikes. Nor do I spray people after 5pm nor do I spray people that ask me not to. I have been sprayed at night after changing into dry clothes, I could have cried, but chose to laugh instead.

Repeat this 10 times. Pattaya has very affordable waterproof taxis. I use them when I am drinking alcohol. I get scared on taxi motorbikes.

There are farangs wanting to call off the water play and there are farangs who hate it even in small villages. Read some of the posts.

A lot of ordinary Thais make plenty out off selling food, drinks etc to the masses. Have you ever really been to songkran in Pattaya? The streets are line with all sorts of sellers. They are not the elites that you claim. All along sukhumvit, theprasit, tai, klang and nua and everywhere in between. Hundreds or thousands of them.

Nobody sprays the food carts because that would be disrespectful and cost people money. I am sure more money will get spent on Songkran Tuesday than a normal Tuesday when all these Thais are stuck at work.

As I said I have experienced both being in the thick of it getting saturated and powdered and using the car and staying completely dry, and also in the back of a pick up with Thais.

Traveling at 90kms an hour during songkran is dangerous and stupid! Bad boy Bubba. Lucky to go over 20kms, more like 5.

I agree with those high powered tubes being banned, and they were last year. Hardly saw any compared to previous years.

Farangs complaining about songkran to me is like a gate crasher showing up to a party UNINVITED and then complaining about the food and the music being to loud and then turning it down.

At the end of the day, this is Thailand, the Thais can do what they want with their Thai water. If the Thais ban water play then I won't do it either.

' I NEVER spray people on motorbikes. Nor ... do I spray people that ask me not to.' You might not, but plenty do. I've had some moronic westerner, in the past, spray my then toddler with a high-powered gun, then seem surprised when I got annoyed.

'Nobody sprays the food carts because that would be disrespectful and cost people money.' The Thais (and numerous water-spraying westerners) concerned about being respectful during Songkran? You're joking, yet again.

Spraying a toddler with a high powered gun is moronic. Farangness, most Thais wouldn't do that.

And I do think the Thais are a lot more talented than the average farang in Thailand on a motorbike, probably because many of them grew up on them.

And are you telling me the Thais deliberately spray water on the food carts? It doesn't happen. Another songkran Thai visa myth.

I think Songkran really gets up the thaibashers because the Thais are having so much fun, in their country, with their water. There is nothing worse than seein someone you hate enjoying life.

Ahhh, now I understand where you are coming from. You sell condos in Pattaya!!!!! A Pattaya real estate agent.

Ah, TITVF. One of our usual terms of opprobrium but typically reserved for those who dare say something good about Pattaya. Here's the other one you can try sometime: "an owner desperate to sell, talking up values." Renters find that idea SO comforting. smile.png I confess I never figured out, in all these years, why people care who's a renter, owner, or agent; but since they do, it's fair game for a laugh sometimes.

post-14882-0-18555500-1455179823_thumb.j

I didn't realize that water play was against the law. I find that a bit surprising actually as I have seen police get sprayed (severely) . . . A lot of ordinary Thais make plenty out off selling food, drinks etc to the masses. Have you ever really been to songkran in Pattaya? The streets are line with all sorts of sellers. They are not the elites that you claim. All along sukhumvit, theprasit, tai, klang and nua and everywhere in between. Hundreds or thousands of them.

Merely indicates you have no idea about the economics of it all. I find your faith in the police enforcing the laws most touching. That's refreshing around here. May you never be disillusioned. smile.png

We now know tourism is much more important to Thailand than having adequate water supply for the population.

I now say to the farmers.

Plant your rice crops.

No, what we do now know is that the water used over a 3 day period will not affect the population's water supply. Exactly the opposite to a second rice planting.

It's doubtful that the farmers will be taking advice from a Thaivisa poster anyway.

Go ahead guy and believe the bs from TAT.

What country in the world other than Thailand would allow the waste of water when they are constantly preaching of drought. Worst in 20 years I might add.

Imagine a three day Songkran holiday in drought stricken California. Gov. Jerry Brown would be getting out his night stick.

We now know tourism is much more important to Thailand than having adequate water supply for the population.

Plant your rice crops.

No, what we do now know is that the water used over a 3 day period will not affect the population's water supply. Exactly the opposite to a second rice planting.

It's doubtful that the farmers will be taking advice from a Thaivisa poster anyway.

Go ahead guy and believe the bs from TAT.

What country in the world other than Thailand would allow the waste of water when they are constantly preaching of drought. Worst in 20 years I might add.

Imagine a three day Songkran holiday in drought stricken California. Gov. Jerry Brown would be getting out his night stick.

If his hands ... and those of his elite friends .. were not filled with a Callaway Driver for a nice afternoon of reservoir draining golf.

Sanook beats dehydration.

Well I agree if we are all due to dehydrate then why not enjoy the last moments by pouring the final drop of H2O down a pretty girls neck. I am just off to Makro now to buy a pallet of it in bottles just incase.

Whether you like Songkran or not is not the point. Thailand has a serious drought problem and everyone both Thai and Foreign should be expected to help the situation. Water throwing should be limited to 1 day only and the Government needs to request everyone comply. ..

I have a better idea. Everyone in Bangkok and pattaya should take their water filled squirt guns and drive up to one of the drought stricken provinces and empty them on some poor rice farmer's field.

TH

I wonder if Thailand would not be better off without the scores of grumpy depressed farangs

"Geezer" or ageist equivalent and "scaredy-cat" are the typical puerile taunts of losers.

Dislike of Pattaya Songkran, as you'll eventually discover, is just an aspect of reaching adulthood, mentally speaking. Lots of, like, really cool adults of all ages hate the inconvenience of Pattaya Songkran for TEN DAYS. We live here and need to live our lives, shop, bank, work, see doctors, take the kids out. It's truly amazing how often the need arises during the 9 days of Songkran "action" for a repair part, like a pipe fitting. And the route to the favored hardware shop happens to pass through Hooligansville.

Comfortable in homes/condos/apts, residents of all ages have plenty of interesting things to do other than get out into Songkran. In fact Songkran interferes with the other things. For us Songkran's NOT a novelty. Been there, done it, got the water/ice/powder already. Why should any permanent resident of any age, Thai or farang, who has a life here, want a Pattaya-style hooligan Songkran for TEN DAYS? [crickets chirping]

As I said, what we don't like is the excessive length of it, the violence, and the "forced" participation. Hooligan-on-hooligan would be fine; let 'em have at it, let social Darwinism rule. And yes, we have the right not to like it. if one has the right to chortle and gurgle for Songkran and jerk off over a water gun, one also has the right to express one's legitimate, entirely reasonable displeasure at being forcibly inconvenienced, endangered, and perhaps injured—permitted, with no recourse. Why should we like being assaulted? That is a legit complaint. Yours is the real whinge around here.

Try taking your wife/girlfriend to work on a motorbike during this wonderful enjoyable time and see how much you like it then. Not knocking Pattaya or the life in general just the morons who insist on soaking people who actually have to work for a living on their way to work.

The "grumpy old git" charge is merely a rationalization for hooliganism that victimizes people of all ages who just aren't stupid enough to enjoy being victims. Again, nobody's in the least intimidated by it, sorry.

This is why they could never have Songkran in the west as the grumpy boring party poopers would end up killing each other. If you dont like it go away to somewhere cold and miserable until its over.

This is why they could never have Songkran in the west as the grumpy boring party poopers would end up killing each other. If you dont like it go away to somewhere cold and miserable until its over.

Cold? Miserable? You're just all confused man. The real party continues in sunny Angeles with the lovely Filipinas. smile.png

Here's a fact: nobody who left town and missed Pattaya Songkran has ever expressed the slightest regret at having done so. Quite the contrary. Do a search; see if you find any post wistfully exclaiming, Man, sure wish I had a bucket of ice water thrown in my face! Nah, you won't find any such. What you WILL find are posts from people who wish they'd left while they could have.

Leave, and instead of dodging drunken idiot water hooligans, fighting traffic, endangering life and limb—or being confined at home, if you lie low—you're in Vung Tau, Vietnam, relaxing by the pool with a drink and Vietnamese lovelies. Pity from afar the poor sods left behind. Come back refreshed after Songkran: it never even happened!

But Pattaya does provides a lot of opportunity for partyin' at home, too, with a bit of preparation. smile.png More on this later.

Enjoy playin' G.I. Joe with a squirt gun. Shall we cue up Macho Man for ya? Got any Justin Bieber requests?

Reading all those negative comments, I start to understand that, apart from the grumpy farangs, the problem is actually Pattaya, not Songran.

In this case I can't be of any help to this thread, since I have never been to Pattaya (and don't plan to go).

For anywhere else, I this believe that everybody agrees that Songran is just a great happy holiday :)

(Except if the grumpy farangs who... bla bla bla...).

For anywhere else, I this believe that everybody agrees that Songran is just a great happy holiday smile.png

post-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg

Grumpy Thai girl not smiling with delight while happy farang enjoys trying to cause her to crash

SurfRider

Reading all those negative comments, I start to understand that, apart from the grumpy farangs, the problem is actually Pattaya, not Songran.

In this case I can't be of any help to this thread, since I have never been to Pattaya (and don't plan to go).

For anywhere else, I this believe that everybody agrees that Songran is just a great happy holiday smile.png

Why don't you come for a holiday to Pattaya from April 11th till April 20th, then you know right away how much fun Songkran actually is.

Plant your rice crops.

Second rice planting, not much incentive at current prices, and rubber's not much better; so they will have Songkran, laughter, happiness and wash away the financial pain. Chok dee.

As I said, what we don't like is the excessive length of it, the violence, and the "forced" participation. Hooligan-on-hooligan would be fine; let 'em have at it, let social Darwinism rule. And yes, we have the right not to like it. if one has the right to chortle and gurgle for Songkran and jerk off over a water gun, one also has the right to express one's legitimate, entirely reasonable displeasure at being forcibly inconvenienced, endangered, and perhaps injuredpermitted, with no recourse. Why should we like being assaulted? That is a legit complaint. Yours is the real whinge around here.

Cold? Miserable? You're just all confused man. The real party continues in sunny Angeles with the lovely Filipinas. smile.png

Here's a fact: nobody who left town and missed Pattaya Songkran has ever expressed the slightest regret at having done so. Quite the contrary. Do a search; see if you find any post wistfully exclaiming, Man, sure wish I had a bucket of ice water thrown in my face! Nah, you won't find any such. What you WILL find are posts from people who wish they'd left while they could have.

Leave, and instead of dodging drunken idiot water hooligans, fighting traffic, endangering life and limbor being confined at home, if you lie lowyou're in Vung Tau, Vietnam, relaxing by the pool with a drink and Vietnamese lovelies. Pity from afar the poor sods left behind. Come back refreshed after Songkran: it never even happened!

But Pattaya does provides a lot of opportunity for partyin' at home, too, with a bit of preparation. smile.png More on this later.

Enjoy playin' G.I. Joe with a squirt gun. Shall we cue up Macho Man for ya? Got any Justin Bieber requests?

You just make your "facts" up. How do you know nobody misses Pattaya songkran. A fact you say. I thought I was going to miss it this year and was disappointed. Friends of mine who were here last year are disappointed they won't be here this year. If it was bad as your "facts" say, the streets would be empty, but they will be full of fun, happy people enjoying themselves.

The photo of the old farang spraying the girl on the motorbike you claim she was hospitalized. You just made it up. That photo is a bad look, but if you google search Pattaya Songkran you will find 99% of people smiling and having a great time.

I wonder what other "facts" you come up with when trying to sell your 16sq meter "condos", that most people would call a"room" and a small room at that, smaller than most people's lounge rooms.

Would I trust a farang real estate agent in Pattaya and his "facts"? No bloody way. A quick google search will show many people have lost considerable savings listening to "facts" from farang real estate agents in Pattaya. A 90 story tower in jomtien that was never going to be built, countless similar other ones not being built, other cases of chanotes being used by agents to secure loans for themselves, etc etc. all because the listed to so called "facts" .

The only people who enjoy it are "idiot drunken hooligans" another made up outrageous claim. It is enjoyed by the children in Pattaya, are they all drunken hooligans? I spent one songkran with a group of Thais where nobody was drinking at all, everyone just enjoying good, clean fun. IMO opinion there is a lot of drunks around but most people on songkran are not drunk. I say IMO because I have no way of proving it, so I don't dress it up as a "fact". You say you hate it, so I assume you wouldn't actually participate, but you claim to know it all.

Another ridiculous claim you have dressed up as a fact is that the "elites" are the only ones making money from it, despite the thousands of vendors lining the streets selling food, drinks, water guns, water, toys for the children, POWDER and ICE. It is a money spinner for many and a fun time for the locals. I think the recent wave of Thais now coming to Pattaya is a good thing. But I concede it is probably a fact that they don't buy too many condos/rooms from a farang real estate agent so I see your angle on this.

Anyway, you are fighting a losing battle that you will never win and That is a fact.

Read the headline

SONGKRAN WILL GO ON despite the drought!! Now that is a FACT!! Nothing you can do will stop it. Suck it up.

Happy Thai new year!!!

The FACT is that many people here do not know about the real songkran tradition. The stupid water playing is for sure no tradition.

give water to the fools for celebrate their moron festival. in the roman empire this was called panem and circenses.

Jsixpack,

Spraying a toddler with a high powered gun is moronic. Farangness, most Thais wouldn't do that.

And I do think the Thais are a lot more talented than the average farang in Thailand on a motorbike, probably because many of them grew up on them.

And are you telling me the Thais deliberately spray water on the food carts? It doesn't happen. Another songkran Thai visa myth.

I think Songkran really gets up the thaibashers because the Thais are having so much fun, in their country, with their water. There is nothing worse than seein someone you hate enjoying life.

Simple, the whining foreigners who hate Thai customs should be immediately deported.

Jsixpack,

Simple, the whining foreigners who hate Thai customs should be immediately deported.

The FACT is that many people here do not know about the real songkran tradition. The stupid water playing is for sure no tradition.

give water to the fools for celebrate their moron festival. in the roman empire this was called panem and circenses.

"Their moron festival" well that is not a very nice thing to say.

The FACT is that traditionally the Thais have been playing with water during songkran since at least the 1930's. Every year now the Thais traditionally play with water. I don't know how far you have to go back for this to be considered a tradition for you.

The beautiful thing about Thai culture is that it constantly evolving. In 100 years from now people will look back at these times as a tradition.

Fun people these Thais.

Traditionally the now world famous water festival has never been cancelled because of drought or to save westerners from getting a little wet which coincides with the hottest part of the year and when most of the population has holidays.

It is also now a tradition on thaivisa for some grumpy farangs to complain about songkran every year.

Songkran will go on despite the drought, It is unstoppable.

The FACT is that traditionally the Thais have been playing with water during songkran since at least the 1930's. Every year now the Thais traditionally play with water. I don't know how far you have to go back for this to be considered a tradition for you.

The beautiful thing about Thai culture is that it constantly evolving. In 100 years from now people will look back at these times as a tradition.

Fun people these Thais.

Traditionally the now world famous water festival has never been cancelled because of drought or to save westerners from getting a little wet which coincides with the hottest part of the year and when most of the population has holidays.

It is also now a tradition on thaivisa for some grumpy farangs to complain about songkran every year.

Can you imagine what Thais would think of farangs in general if they knew what a lot of moronic farangs were saying on these type of forums?

Fun people these Thais.

Can you imagine what Thais would think of farangs in general if they knew what a lot of moronic farangs were saying on these type of forums?

Probably the same thing I'm thinking about you and Roomuck with your endless ranting.

I personally don't like songkran and stay away from town and other areas where "playing" is going on. I don't have a problem with the whole event, it's just that as I don't enjoy it, I keep away. Best for all concerned really.

Now I understand it's banal in the extreme to call for it to be banned, it won't happen and shouldn't. It could be safer but that's the same with many things. I remember bonfire/fireworks night being an a quite dangerous time in the UK when I was a kid, thankfully sanity has prevailed and the whole event is much safer now.

However can you two just chill with the hysterical scatter blast accusations against anyone who says the event has it's flaws.

I know that large scale events the world over can be problematic and songkran is no exception. It's not anti Thai to point that out.

Fun people these Thais.

I show/tell my Thai friends all of it.

It does p4ss them off. But they also laugh about it. One of the most admiral things I have found about the Thais is they don't generalize too much unlike the farang thaibashers. They use the phrase "bang kon" or "some people" a lot. They are smart enough to realize there are good and bad people from all countries.

I reckon they are good at pickng who are the grumpy whingers also. Which leads them to give the whiners bad service which then leads to the grumpy farang whining more. My dad used to complain to the Thais, it took me years to change his attitude, but now he sees why it works better to smile in Thailand than to complain with a p4ssed off look.

My maid gets fired up the most and questions why are they here if they don't like Thai people. I wonder also.

We have concluded that most of them are here for the bar girls. The bar girls are using them, so SomNaam naa!

She was the one that gave me the idea to post that if the farangs want to cancel/reduce water play under the guise of "saving water for the poor farmers" that it would save more water if these farangs went back to their own countries and stop using the Thai people's water.

Also I am tipping that if I went back through the farang posts who are claiming songkran should be stopped because of the drought I reckon I would find that last year they had a different reason.

Archived