Getting the most out of your camera!

samuijimmy

I am sure there are many people like me, who have not taken the time to learn how to use their camera to it best ability...

There are hundreds if not thousands of tutorials on the internet that can help! Some are better than others, and it can be a bit of a tedious search to find them ... some I find the presenter speaks to fast, making it hard to absorb the information. ...

I thought it might be an idea if anyone has come across any good tutorials to perhaps post them here... then we might learn to understand our ISO, F stops and Shutter speeds, facepalm.gif and how they affect the photo!

I am going to start with this one... it was hard to choose what to start with but at least start some where! watch the part 2 of this too!

So please if you can help by adding more, do so.... We've seen several members over the years really improve their photography skills, ... which is great to see.. but it does take time and experimentation to improve the shot! .... by remembering how to set the camera settings correctly and not use auto mode!

I know there are a few professionals here, who have obviously learned the skills .... but many there are amateurs here too, so let's try to help people improve their level of photography!

After working with large format cameras for most of my life,

i now own 2 pocket cameras, one water proof, one regular,

even now i don't even use them much, i use my smart-phone,

also the daily use of photoshop alas is no more, i use the

'' auto mode '' for everything, it all looks good anyway BUT

i always have my good friend Photoshop by my side.

PS do you remember your first computer, what was the first

program you ever got for it, i got the first version of Photoshop

that was a long time ago.

Thanks for the positive comments! thumbsup.gif

Here is another video, about 9 minutes long.... covers some basic camera setup and flash settings....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6vu58qVdFs&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Please feel free to add any you have seen !!

There are some good Lightroom and Photoshop tutorials which could be added here too!

A nice topic samuijimmy , my Kodak was/is a great camera z1015 IS . I say was as it expired , took it to Big Camera in Big C and they said it couldn't be repaired , I bought a Pentax X-5. Several weeks later the broken Kodak started working again and my TW takes better pics with it then I can on my Pentax. She points and shoots, brilliant . Mine has too many options and despite the , or because of the 220 pages of info I still cannot take pics as good as 'er indoors.

Thanks a bunch, just bought an SLR and found this very useful although I am still convinced my camera is smarter than me.

If your camera is smarter than you then it would write "smarter than I." Would you say "smarter than me am" or "smarter than I am"?

Sorry to be such a pedant. It's a compulsive Virgo thing.

A nice topic samuijimmy , my Kodak was/is a great camera z1015 IS . I say was as it expired , took it to Big Camera in Big C and they said it couldn't be repaired , I bought a Pentax X-5. Several weeks later the broken Kodak started working again and my TW takes better pics with it then I can on my Pentax. She points and shoots, brilliant . Mine has too many options and despite the , or because of the 220 pages of info I still cannot take pics as good as 'er indoors.

Perhaps a pointer to getting the most out of your camera and something many people fail to do: read the manual! (popularly expressed as RTFM).

When you are lucky enough to get a new camera; put aside a few hours and read the manual. Then pick up the camera and read the manual again while trying out the various features. Read the manual again. Set up the camera to work the way you want it. Then, and only then, go out and take photos.

And the other lesson is that it is the person behind the camera that takes the good photos, not the camera. A great photographer can take a great photo with a crap camera; a crap photographer will take a crap image whatever camera they have in their hands. I have sadly learned this to my cost over the years; better cameras have not improved my skills.

Yes, read the manual if this manual is in your language ;

A friend of mine bought my Olympus TG 860 in France a few months ago and the manual is in an incomprehensive language, maybe polish? surely a language from the east of Europe..

He didn't open the box so he cannot saw it's not the good language .sad.png

So I went to internet and downloaded that manual in my language clap2.gif

Thank u Jimmy and FractureRabbit for your posts .wai2.gif

Yes, read the manual if this manual is in your language ;

A friend of mine bought my Olympus TG 860 in France a few months ago and the manual is in an incomprehensive language, maybe polish? surely a language from the east of Europe..

He didn't open the box so he cannot saw it's not the good language .sad.png

So I went to internet and downloaded that manual in my language clap2.gif

Thank u Jimmy and FractureRabbit for your posts .wai2.gif

Most camera seem to come with a quick start guide on paper, with the full manual sitting on a disk. This does have the benefit that the manual should be easily available on the web. Then stick it on your phone or tablet and settle down and RTFM!

Thanks for the positive comments! thumbsup.gif

Here is another video, about 9 minutes long.... covers some basic camera setup and flash settings....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6vu58qVdFs&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Please feel free to add any you have seen !!

There are some good Lightroom and Photoshop tutorials which could be added here too!

Nice to see so many positive reactions from everyone!

Jimmy,good idea regarding Lightroom and Photoshop,but maybe it would be better if editing had a separate topic of it's own?

What about we just keep this thread for improving camera skills?

Would love to see you all posting on our photo forum,beginners and pros alike!

• 4 weeks later...

I was just contemplating asking where I could learn the basic camera lessons, when I found this thread :) Nice one Jimmy...

My ASUS Zenfone is ok but I would love have a dedicated camera. I think I have a reasonable eye for photo composure, just need to make the most of the opportunities ?

Any suggestions for a mid level camera ? Nothing too flash but not a point n shoot either...

I was just contemplating asking where I could learn the basic camera lessons, when I found this thread smile.png Nice one Jimmy...

My ASUS Zenfone is ok but I would love have a dedicated camera. I think I have a reasonable eye for photo composure, just need to make the most of the opportunities ?

Any suggestions for a mid level camera ? Nothing too flash but not a point n shoot either...

Budget?

I was just contemplating asking where I could learn the basic camera lessons, when I found this thread smile.png Nice one Jimmy...

Budget?

Up to $1000 ?

A lot of choice with that budget.

You could buy a stand-alone camera (fixed lens), or buy into a system with interchangeable lenses. For a first serious camera, you might be better with the former; use it a while, and then be in a better position to decide what system you might want to adopt.

All cameras at that price point are going to give you good images and plenty of control options; the most important thing is that you are happy with the camera, it feels good in your hands, and you want to take it out and use it. So strongly suggest you read lots of reviews, make up a short list and then go to a camera shop and try them out in your hands before deciding.

Some possibilities:

Panasonic LX100

Sony RX100

Fuji X100T

Sony A6300 (just released so maybe not in the shops yet).

Fuji X-T10

Olympus EM-10 II

A lot of choice with that budget.

You could buy a stand-alone camera (fixed lens), or buy into a system with interchangeable lenses. For a first serious camera, you might be better with the former; use it a while, and then be in a better position to decide what system you might want to adopt.

All cameras at that price point are going to give you good images and plenty of control options; the most important thing is that you are happy with the camera, it feels good in your hands, and you want to take it out and use it. So strongly suggest you read lots of reviews, make up a short list and then go to a camera shop and try them out in your hands before deciding.

Some possibilities:

Panasonic LX100

Sony RX100

Fuji X100T

Sony A6300 (just released so maybe not in the shops yet).

Fuji X-T10

Olympus EM-10 II

Thanks... Very good advice, appreciated..

I found on YouTube, Allversity tutorials. Very easy to follow and explain the technicalities in basic format.

On a plus note, my Mum (very accomplished photographer) is lending me one of her cameras to play with, Canon G1X... Should give me enough control to challenge myself :)

I found on YouTube, Allversity tutorials. Very easy to follow and explain the technicalities in basic format.

On a plus note, my Mum (very accomplished photographer) is lending me one of her cameras to play with, Canon G1X... Should give me enough control to challenge myself smile.png

Great your mum is giving you a camera... Now you will have to find time to use and post the results..... thumbsup.gif

Perhaps put in the link next time! facepalm.giftongue.png

Here is one for Nikon

http://www.nikon-tutorials.com/tag/allversity/

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived