General Prawit hopes Thaksin will not speak anything bad against Thailand

webfact

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said he hopes fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not speak anything in public which will hurts his own home country “because he is a Thai and must love the country”.

Perhaps Mr Wongsuwan might ponder reality for a moment. "because he is Thai and must love the country" - blind faith and the denial of faults is not good for a person, a community or a country, in the long run.

That's why the country which must be loved is currently under military rule with restrictions on freedom of speech (additional restrictions that is) - blind faith and denial of faults came to this.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an interesting interview with Thaksin by Al Jazeera which is probably on their web site

Also available in video.

Thaksin was critical of the Junta's new draft constitution:

"... when it comes to the draft constitution, [this] is the worst constitution ever, ... Thaksin told Al Jazeera, comparing it with something that could have been written in North Korea.1

I think the situation will not allow them to enjoy the power that much because of the way they run the country. Any regime that is careless about their own people will not last long,"

Thaksin also gave similar interviews with The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times and Reuters. Seems he is no longer playing dead. In a sense the Junta has resurrected Thaksin's political involement.

1 The Junta draft constitution is not on par with the1972 North Korean constitution. I find the NK constitution to be more honest as to who controls the people's sovereignty - the Communsit Party. Whereas the Junta draft constitution seeks in effect covert military control of the Thai people's sovereignty.

Translated NK Constitution edited for easier reading 1972 NKConstitution.pdf

And still he is the major thorn in the side of the ptb continually being referenced to. No doubt that sometime in the future he,or his like,will be here again calling the shots.

The country is in major freefall, does it really matter who is pointing out the facts. Plenty of international news media have aleady had their say and it is not complimentary.

I read a lot of international news and they are not saying many nice things about Thailand

in its present state. (You will not read any of this in the local press.)

I'm just waiting for more international news to be blocked out by the junta.

Is this guy kidding? Is there a single person in this country who takes this man seriously? Is it possible they could have found a less competent man, for his position? I mean, if they searched the nation, looking for someone less competent, could they have found a person to fit that bill?

Personally, he said hopes Thaksin will loves his home country because he is a Thai. Would someone with an IQ of over 65 actually say something like that? Or was it his 4 year old son who was actually quoted? What a goombah.

Thaksin should have been repatriated to Thailand years ago, arrested, tried, and sent to prison. He has been nothing but a trouble maker, and there is nobody to blame except for multiple Thai administrations, for this. Sloth, and unwillingness to take him to task has resulted in a man who will never stop making problems for his nation, until the day he dies. He is the very opposite of a patriot. He cares nothing for his nation, and it's people. It is all about him. Only him. You know who he reminds me of? Trump. He has that petty and arrogant quality that defines Trump. Maybe they are related?

Where is Donald Trump when you need him?

I am still wondering why the present US Government has not sent a mole to spy & destroy this little man and everything he represents since his idea of unity and a modern path to enlightenment for all Thai's is a repressive regime trying to make friends with the likes of Russia. (Nice Trip)

To him and his ilk forming some type of oligarchy for him and his Coup Makers makes sense (They can learn a lot from Russia)

How about a "Tribunal" at the Hague for these guys and stop worrying about Thaksin being Arrested?

They have and are doing a hundred times more damage to the future of Thailand vs. his Property / Civil Case could have ever done.

They are leading and will continue to lead Thailand down a very Dangerous Path.

There was an interesting interview with Thaksin by Al Jazeera which is probably on their web site

Also available in video.

Thaksin was critical of the Junta's new draft constitution:

"... when it comes to the draft constitution, [this] is the worst constitution ever, ... Thaksin told Al Jazeera, comparing it with something that could have been written in North Korea.1

I think the situation will not allow them to enjoy the power that much because of the way they run the country. Any regime that is careless about their own people will not last long,"

Thaksin also gave similar interviews with The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times and Reuters. Seems he is no longer playing dead. In a sense the Junta has resurrected Thaksin's political involement.

1 The Junta draft constitution is not on par with the1972 North Korean constitution. I find the NK constitution to be more honest as to who controls the people's sovereignty - the Communsit Party. Whereas the Junta draft constitution seeks in effect covert military control of the Thai people's sovereignty.

Translated NK Constitution edited for easier reading attachicon.gif1972 NKConstitution.pdf

That was some mean words and harsh condemnation of the junta government. Yet Gen Prawit is sending a mild request to Thaksin to speak good. His boss also has not spoken in his usual angry retort. Sharp contrast with previous events that caused Thaksin to lose his passport. Maybe a game changer time and the deflated junta at their last legs.

Govt not worried about Thaksin's appearance at World Policy Institute

BANGKOK, 28 February 2016 (NNT) - The Deputy Prime Minister for public security said he was not concerned about former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra giving a speech at World Policy Institute about the current state of democracy in Thailand.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan said Mr. Thaksin could do so, as long as his speech is based on facts. The ex-premier is scheduled to speak at the World Policy Institute on March 9.

Gen Prawit added that the government is following its roadmap, and elections will take place once the reform process is complete.

Meanwhile, Government Spokesperson Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said he believed that Thai people are growing tired of those attacking the draft charter, arguing that they have never fought for the public's interests.

The spokesperson said the government will remain determined to unite the country and lay a strong foundation for sustainable, national growth.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-29 footer_n.gif

'The political roadmap has been accepted by all parties concerned'

Yes, I guess so, apart from the main one, the public.

Well, for the present rulers the public is not really a concerned party. Besides, 99.3 % are apparently happy with the junta anyway...coffee1.gif

I am still wondering why the present US Government has not sent a mole to spy & destroy this little man and everything he represents since his idea of unity and a modern path to enlightenment for all Thai's is a repressive regime trying to make friends with the likes of Russia. (Nice Trip)

To him and his ilk forming some type of oligarchy for him and his Coup Makers makes sense (They can learn a lot from Russia)

How about a "Tribunal" at the Hague for these guys and stop worrying about Thaksin being Arrested?

They have and are doing a hundred times more damage to the future of Thailand vs. his Property / Civil Case could have ever done.

I don't really understand all the fuss about the Thais wanting to be friendly with Russia? Why not ? Better than being enemies. I thought that Trump was also a bit keen on Putin.

It has always been my guess that the CIA volunteered to take on this task, many years ago, and perhaps since. Even though he was allied with Bush and his cronies, they knew what a problem he was going to become, when he was exiled. I am sure they offered their services, and I am just as sure that the Thai authorities said something like, "Don't concern yourselves. We are on top of this. We will not let it get to the point where he becomes a problem to the nation. We have things under control, and have considered the many ramifications his exile could create. We are being proactive. If he misbehaves, we will have him repatriated, and he will face trial here".

And the Americans went back to the office rolling their eyes. How many times have we heard this before? A Thai government being proactive? Can you even imagine such a thing? Planning? Consideration of future events? Heading off problems BEFORE they occur? Absolutely, positively unthinkable, in the LOS.

I think they are worried about Thaksin speaking some TRUTH... and not just coming out with the usual Government B/S

that is being thrown about at this time.

Thaksin speaking the truth - now there's an oxymoron.

A compulsive egotistical liar who will no doubt re-iterate his claim never to have done anything wrong in his life, never ever. All the charges against him, including his conviction (which he tried to bribe the judges on, and then fled), the Krungthai fraud, all the other 15 + : all politically motivated (that's one glib answer for everything, he doesn't want to discuss the detail).

It seems these days, that once you are filthy rich, no matter how you acquired your money, and are accepted as one of the political strata, you are above the law and can get away with anything. And that's true for America and Europe as well as Asia.

His Carlisle Group and Wall St. pals will make sure he gets good media coverage whilst ensuring no journalist dare ask tricky questions or publish anything negative.

But to be fair, he wouldn't know the truth if it bit him.

It has always been my guess that the CIA volunteered to take on this task, many years ago, and perhaps since. Even though he was allied with Bush and his cronies, they knew what a problem he was going to become, when he was exiled. I am sure they offered their services, and I am just as sure that the Thai authorities said something like, "Don't concern yourselves. We are on top of this. We will not let it get to the point where he becomes a problem to the nation. We have things under control, and have considered the many ramifications his exile could create. We are being proactive. If he misbehaves, we will have him repatriated, and he will face trial here".

And the Americans went back to the office rolling their eyes. How many times have we heard this before? A Thai government being proactive? Can you even imagine such a thing? Planning? Consideration of future events? Heading off problems BEFORE they occur? Absolutely, positively unthinkable, in the LOS.

The world of political has become much more blurred and murky as globalization increases the complexities. So, really anything is possible these days.

As the current Thai government move closer to China and Russia in response to a cooling from the US and its allies, Thaksin becomes a more attractive prospect for the US. His extensive Carlisle Group and Wall St. connections, his past willingness to try and push favorable treaties through; his demonstrated willingness to ignore or change laws when it suits and his very ruthless end justifies the means attitude. All would be appreciated by the "establishment" in the West.

He would be a very good fit with a Clinton administration - same very very wealthy family background, allegations of dubious activities, propensity for lying regularly, and ability to claim to be a democrat and supporter of the poor and keep a straight face whilst screwing everyone.

The US backs ex terrorists like Hun Set, and has a history of supporting corrupt dictators when it suits. Thaksin should fit right in.

And still he is the major thorn in the side of the ptb continually being referenced to. No doubt that sometime in the future he,or his like,will be here again calling the shots.

The country is in major freefall, does it really matter who is pointing out the facts. Plenty of international news media have aleady had their say and it is not complimentary.

I read a lot of international news and they are not saying many nice things about Thailand

in its present state. (You will not read any of this in the local press.)

I'm just waiting for more international news to be blocked out by the junta.

Really?

Not much nice going on anywhere at the moment is there.

Regardless of the situation in Thailand, allowing a proven liar and corrupt former politician to speak about it isn't going to help is it. Unless any are dumb enough to believe his BS and ignore his past.

comes to something when the only opposition available to the current government is an old man in exile....

especially when that old man is a corrupt criminal whose in exile because he's a fugitive who chose to leg it!

The saddest part is the choice Thais seemingly have - current military government, elite hiso puppet government, or a puppet government controlled by one man for the benefit of his family.

Makes Trump and Clinton look like a real choice.

I really hope Thaksin tells it like it is & crucifies this illegal regime, i.e;

They explicitly backed an illegal armed uprising in order to create enough instability to overthrow the democratically elected government.

They have totally ignored & infringed on human rights since Day 1 of the coup.

They are deepening the political divide by blatantly siding with one group while executing a political purge of another.

The reasons given for committing the coup are absolute lies, and the regime hasn't made any attempt to stop corruption in the military or any other institution they are in control of.

The regime has continually lied about the timeline for a return to democracy & are in fact using the constitutional drafting process as a tool to extend their time in power.

Stick it to them Dr. T!

Is he Thai ? The government tried to render him stateless when they rescinded his passports .

If he still has a Thai ID card he is still Thai. AFAIR is is not legal to hold passports from more than one country let alone 4 or 5.

Passports belong to the country and not to the individual and are a privilege and not an automatic right.

Most countries retain the right to cancel an individuals passport should they wish to do so.

I really hope Thaksin tells it like it is & crucifies this illegal regime, i.e;

They explicitly backed an illegal armed uprising in order to create enough instability to overthrow the democratically elected government.

<snip for brevity>

That would be simply hilarious, for anyone who remembers Thaksin's actions, back in 2009/2010. wink.png

But it wouldn't be the first time he's reversed direction, for example he used to regard democracy with somewhat less respect, than he now claims to. rolleyes.gif

Archived