Migrants still deported en masse from Thailand

webfact

Migrants Still Deported En Masse from Thailand
Khmer Times / By Taing Vida

PHNOM PENH: -- Almost 70,000 Cambodian migrant workers were deported from Thailand through the Poipet international checkpoint in Banteay Meanchey province last year, with the daily average being about 200, Poipet checkpoint Immigration police chief Sim Sam Ath said yesterday, citing an annual report.

Of the 67,087 migrant workers deported, 21,797 were women, Mr. Sam Ath said.

He also said that Cambodians who crossed the border for illegal logging often did so through illegal corridors. Those caught were often shot by Thai border police, Mr. Sam Ath added.

According to a report released last week on the government’s progress against human trafficking, 51,318 Cambodia migrant workers, including 4,030 children, were from Thailand during the first 10 months of last year, and 834 of them had been imprisoned in Thailand for more than a month.

Full story: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21970/migrants-still-deported-en-masse-from-thailand/

-- KHMER TIMES 2016-02-29

This is one thing Thailand gets right at least, illegal- kick 'em out back to where they came from with no human rights or court appeals nonsense with translators and lawyers paid for by the tax payer.

Isn't being a part of ASEAN about the free movement of labor?

Distortion , are you only shot if your illegally logging ? and the rest are just deported ?

The census ( if done ) would have widely fluctuations.

I thought they just set fire to the loggers?

Often shot!? Good god.

Illegal logging for rosewood is driven by an insatiable demand for carved rosewood furniture by the Chinese. Products can sell for many millions of baht.

The import of rosewood is banned in Europe and many other countries. It is listed under CITES and some species are highly endangered.

The Thai Rangers trying to protect the few trees left have lost many of their colleagues ( killed by the loggers)

So yes they are shot.

The Chinese take no notice of international efforts to save endangered species- they would probably have a huge party when they munch up the last Rhino horn in the world.

Bit off piste to the OP , but these people need to deported or jailed.

This is one thing Thailand gets right at least, illegal- kick 'em out back to where they came from with no human rights or court appeals nonsense with translators and lawyers paid for by the tax payer.

Including refugees who obviously enter the country illegally?

Send them back to North Korea where certain death awaits them?

Some humanitarian you are!

Thailand needs these migrants to do all the shitty jobs that the Thais refuse to do these days. But deporting them does not kill them whereas refugees are treated disgracefully by the Thai authorities, many ending up dead upon repatriation.

Hmm A humanitarian!! I can go wherever I like on my passport, everybody else should forced to stay put. This World belongs to me alone

Being part of ASEAN is NOT about freedom of movement as you would know had you read the ASEAN agreements.

Passports, visas and work permits are required by all ASEAN members for visitors and alien workers

http://www.asean.org/

Thailand needs these migrants to do all the shitty jobs that the Thais refuse to do these days. But deporting them does not kill them whereas refugees are treated disgracefully by the Thai authorities, many ending up dead upon repatriation.

Maybe this is a sign of what the economy is really like here. There are not enough shitty jobs to go around so they are sent home. If the shitty jobs are drying up we are really in trouble.

Often shot!? Good god.

This policy should also be adopted with over-stayers in excess of sixty days. Problem solved!

Your the kind of Sad Bastard I've been rebelling against for years. Your whole life is is revolved around getting admiration brownie points from self-minded morons like yourself. Do any of these overstayers effect your daily life? Does it give you sexual problems? Does it affect you financially? Do you have sleepless nights with excessive worry? Does your children suffer ? Does your Mai Noi stop getting her portion?

If my life was focused on overstayers I would seek professional help and advise you do just that save you dwelling on this sickness. Your a mere expat cretin who fights TVs members with your cohorts of the same mindset at others living in misery. In the UK you wouldn't last 5 minutes with such a big loudmouth attitude - but then again your a born again Thai now I imagine !!!!!!!

There is either something very wrong with the reporting, or some very very wrong with the way the Thai "government" thinks, a few days back we see they are dealing with human trafficking by "reorganizing" beggars, I still fail to see how this is a fight against trafficking, and now we read "According to a report released last week on the government’s progress against human trafficking, 51,318 Cambodia migrant workers, including 4,030 children, were from Thailand during the first 10 months of last year", how the hell do they stop human trafficking when these people are MIGRANT WORKERS.... NOT slaves or kidnap victims. No mention of arresting any traffickers, or their bosses.

human trafficking

noun
  1. the illegal movement of people, typically for the purposes of forced labour or commercial sexual exploitation.

You would have liked the late 1930s in Europe. Similar attitudes to yours were applied to all sorts of folks. No reference to the law, or at least the law of a civilised land.

Often shot!? Good god.

as a cambodian: be carefull if you are looking for rose wood or any wonderful roots in the jungle bewteen the 2 countries. If it's dark you might get shot. It's much easier than to get you jailed and after a while sent you back to Cambodia. And cheaper.

Actually every month you can read about.

No. That is a myth started by farangs and spread in the bars.

Freedom of movement for 8 categories of skilled workers only is the plan, but it will essentially mean something like, it will become easier for them to get work permits.

It won't be anything like the EU though. So get that idea out of your mind right now. If Thailand agreed on complete freedom of movement of labour, all of Cambodia and Myanmar would be in Thailand at this moment.

Often shot!? Good god.

Illegal logging for rosewood is driven by an insatiable demand for carved rosewood furniture by the Chinese. Products can sell for many millions of baht.

The import of rosewood is banned in Europe and many other countries. It is listed under CITES and some species are highly endangered.

The Thai Rangers trying to protect the few trees left have lost many of their colleagues ( killed by the loggers)

So yes they are shot.

The Chinese take no notice of international efforts to save endangered species- they would probably have a huge party when they munch up the last Rhino horn in the world.

Bit off piste to the OP , but these people need to deported or jailed.

I thought it was the Vietnamese as I know a lot of illegally smuggled wood (including rosewood) makes it's way over to Vietnam. The Phu Keua / Bo Y border crossing is notorious - sometimes dozens of Vietnamese registered trucks all carrying illegally felled timber wait on the winding, steep road just before the border, forcing all other traffic to drive in the oncoming lane to pass by the trucks.

The Vietnamese are also famous for their high quality wood furniture. The Chinese not so much as all they can manufacture is rubbish. However, I wouldn't be surprised that the Chinese have an insatiable demand for high quality timber (it's a big country after all) and that a lot of it gets smuggled there. Just that I've seen far more evidence of timber smuggling from Laos to Vietnam (much of it originates in Thailand and often the Thai customs/quarantine department is complicit in allowing it through to Laos, not without them benefiting from it of course - the same applies to Lao and Vietnamese officials).

A lot of anti-Thai Cambodian newspaper articles (even if they're trying to be subtle about it) as well as at least one ex-Thai expat friend of mine now living in Vientiane has made the comment that Thai officials (and the military) shoot these illegal loggers first then ask questions later. I tend to disagree with this view and agree with this article and the other viewpoints expressed on this thread. Quite a lot of the illegal Cambodian loggers have guns and shoot the police/military, hence it's little surprise that they get shot themselves.

Of course, the illegal Cambodian loggers have committed at least 5 offences before getting shot:

1. Illegally crossing the border

2. Logging a protected species

3. Working without a work permit

4. Carrying a weapon without a permit; also, it is illegal for foreign nationals to be in possession of a firearm in Thailand, as far as I know except if an exemption of some sort applies

5. Shooting at a law enforcement officer/military officer/other official

OUCH! ..... The economic elite are losing their cheap labour.

Consider the idea that may be part of the whole process. Cheap illegal labour. Whereas if legal migrant workers who were paid legitimate wages they would be better off.

Many ignore the reality of what Thailand is and has to do to legitimize itself internationally now.

Few realize/acknowledge that Thailand has the second biggest economy in SEA .. It is a magnet for migrant workers from all surrounds.

Over decades Thais have been made lazy in reputation. A reality is that illegal workers taken on cheap preference have sidelined them and after decades are resigned to it while being subsidized to remain so with popularist support policies .

A new era is being implemented.Corporate corruption taking advantage of is being eliminated.

Migrant workers can return..legitimately...If Corporates need workers the the selection of Thai versus migrant has the potential to eleviate the outflow of Thai reserves which can be directed into faster development of infrastructure.

Criminal migrants who risk death for stealing from Thailand know the risk .

While the majority of the world retains Nationality the protection of that Nation is the function of governance.

Humanatarian concerns therefore.are in conflict with Nation .

Humanitarian concepts are promoted at the same time asserting National individuality creates humanitarian issues .

Solution?

OUCH! ..... The economic elite are losing their cheap labour.

Consider the idea that may be part of the whole process. Cheap illegal labour. Whereas if legal migrant workers who were paid legitimate wages they would be better off.

Many ignore the reality of what Thailand is and has to do to legitimize itself internationally now.

Few realize/acknowledge that Thailand has the second biggest economy in SEA .. It is a magnet for migrant workers from all surrounds.

Over decades Thais have been made lazy in reputation. A reality is that illegal workers taken on cheap preference have sidelined them and after decades are resigned to it while being subsidized to remain so with popularist support policies .

A new era is being implemented.Corporate corruption taking advantage of is being eliminated.

Migrant workers can return..legitimately...If Corporates need workers the the selection of Thai versus migrant has the potential to eleviate the outflow of Thai reserves which can be directed into faster development of infrastructure.

Criminal migrants who risk death for stealing from Thailand know the risk .

While the majority of the world retains Nationality the protection of that Nation is the function of governance.

Humanatarian concerns therefore.are in conflict with Nation .

Humanitarian concepts are promoted at the same time asserting National individuality creates humanitarian issues .

Solution?

A bit off topic but you certainly are correct about the illegal laborers to Thailand. In the last couple years I have been astonished by the number of waitstaff in bars & restaurants to whom I speak Thai to order who have no clue - they're Filipinos. Now maybe these folks have valid work permits but it certainly sums up the Philippine economy when (and maybe 'if') they are are paid ฿300/day and that makes a journey to Thailand make economic sense to them. In that same vein, who can blame a Laotian, Cambodian or Burmese from coming to Thailand to enjoy its 'high' rates of pay.

Archived