Thai tobacco maker plans cheap cigarettes to offset new tax

webfact

Tobacco is grated in 5 categories.The numbers 1 and 2 are normally mixed for good quality cigarettes with the very best tobacco used in the very costly cigarettes.These first two categories are normally found in American cigarettes ( That are Made in America).The American Tobacco Company sends this top mixture to other countries for their top and good brand of cigarettes>Number 5 is used for snuff and chewing tobacco..The cigarettes bought here in Asia are mostly made with number 3 and 4 mixed.Even though the package may be of an American brand the tobacco is of poor quality.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) identifies 117 official tobacco grades.

Why has no-one mentioned vaping (e cigarettes) as a healthy, cheaper alternative to smoking? Wake up guys! This is the 21st century. Vaping is the way forward!

It's too easy to make your own juices, no potential for profiteering. So ban it.

Cigarettes in Australia: pushing 550-600 Baht ( probably the most expensive in the world together with Singapore), Thailand equivalent pack 100 Baht. Cost of vaping : average WEEK 150 Baht. The one thing world governments have in common: virtually every country says cig tax is about disincentive to smoke. Liars all.

I quit smoking for health reasons, nothing to do with money, a long time ago. I wouldn't care if vaping was taxed, at a reasonable level, but it won't happen because it's not in the interest of big tobacco.

I have quit my 17 year 20 a day habit. Clean since December 26th, so 2 months, but it isn't easy and I know that I will live with the cravings, possibly forever - albeit mental cravings, it doesn't lessen the fact that cigarettes are incredibly addictive.

Now when my government or any around the world, quite happily lets me buy all the cigarettes I want, but tells me that Weed is illegal, well, you know that kinda pisses me off.

I was a frequent pot smoker for many years, and that wasn't too difficult to knock on the head.

I comes down to whether you are stronger then an addiction.All it takes is self discipline.Some people have it others don't.If you say that "You Know" that you will have the cravings then you either need help or to get another type of addition.

Tobacco is grated in 5 categories.The numbers 1 and 2 are normally mixed for good quality cigarettes with the very best tobacco used in the very costly cigarettes.These first two categories are normally found in American cigarettes ( That are Made in America).The American Tobacco Company sends this top mixture to other countries for their top and good brand of cigarettes>Number 5 is used for snuff and chewing tobacco..The cigarettes bought here in Asia are mostly made with number 3 and 4 mixed.Even though the package may be of an American brand the tobacco is of poor quality.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) identifies 117 official tobacco grades.

I am talking the 5 major grades of cigarette tabacco The AMT buyers are looking for..

I totaly disagree with the idea of making cheap as many school age children are buying it if the price cheap in some country a box goes up as 5 USD.

In Germany 5 Euros...around 200 baht a pack.

That is cheap. In the UK reckon on around nine pounds for a pack of 20 (450THB). As a result cigarette smuggling is rampant in the UK.

I would increase the price to twenty pounds for a pack of 20, (1000THB) and ration smokers to four packs a week. The same should be done in Thailand.

"Cigarette smuggling is rampant in the UK.." and UK is an island. What do you think would happen here with your suggestion? Big lottery winner for the smugglers from neighbouring countries.

Disgusting. The amount of money lost by less people smoking would be more than offset by the savings in health care.

Of course it wouldn't. We all know smoking is bad for you and in the long term it can potentially kill you. However, the amount you have to smoke to kill yourself is significant and likely over many, many years. So of course the tax generated before any healthcare is required will be far higher.

The reality is that about 25percent of Thai people smoke, they all know the risks but they chose to smoke and take those risks. There is so much emotion around smokers, particularly from non smokers who look at smokers as lepers or the scum of society,, it's just gone too far.

As long as people smoke considerably and don't unnecessarily polute the local air for non smokers then let them go about their business.

The government in this case is a joke. Hike up the tax, take more money, market shrinks a bit, no problem grab more market share with the state owned tobacco company,, what a crock, only the stupid cannot see what is going on.

What next, alcohol? Fast food chains? There are many things that seriously effect peoples health (obesity and heart disease is another major cause for health problems). Eventually we will end up with a "fat" tax on all large size clothing to encourage people to lose weight.

So, for all the anti smokers, think carefully about what you applaud, especially if you are chubby non smoker...

For all you non smoking, tea drinking, vegan athletes out there, what a boring life (joke)

The week there was the tax hike I had delivered from Myanmar 6 cartons of Atlanta menthol cigs. I paid 87B per carton , yep less than 9B per pack. I smoke less then 10 cigs a day and not in the house so no grief from the TW.. What I would like to know is when my daughter visits in April could she take a carton out of LOS or would they be confiscated at check in ?

Why has no-one mentioned vaping (e cigarettes) as a healthy, cheaper alternative to smoking? Wake up guys! This is the 21st century. Vaping is the way forward!

It's too easy to make your own juices, no potential for profiteering. So ban it.

Cigarettes in Australia: pushing 550-600 Baht ( probably the most expensive in the world together with Singapore), Thailand equivalent pack 100 Baht. Cost of vaping : average WEEK 150 Baht. The one thing world governments have in common: virtually every country says cig tax is about disincentive to smoke. Liars all.

I quit smoking for health reasons, nothing to do with money, a long time ago. I wouldn't care if vaping was taxed, at a reasonable level, but it won't happen because it's not in the interest of big tobacco.

Off topic I know but I want to let you know that Father Jack (Frank Kelly) has died.

"We are concerned that smokers will choose other alternatives that will severely harm their bodies" ........

You are so pathetic...............bah.gif

I'm sure the people that say these things never intended to compromise every scrap of their integrity for the sake of the almighty baht when they graduated university and started their careers, but money is the true Thai deity, so what can you expect?

As I understand it, clinical testing is still ongoing, and until this is successfully concluded, nobody is prepared to go out on a limb, however thick it may be, and endorse the use of e cigs, for fear of a backlash (class action sueing) if they are still cancer causing.

This is also why it's hard to find e cigs, excepting over the net.... Me... I tried quitting by getting a hookah... Dumb dumb dumb!

Disgusting blight on governments around the world who let the tobacco industry keep pushing their products, blatantly showing no regard for the health of those already hooked to inducing the younger generation to a life of addiction, Knowledge means nothing if you don't act , Sadly no positive action taken here ,

hang your head in shame shame Daonoi ,

Thai youth vs money, I will take the money ,

It's even more disgusting when the government itself is the one manufacturing and selling (i.e., pushing) the tobacco products.

Off topic I know but I want to let you know that Father Jack (Frank Kelly) has died.

What dreadful news. A very fine actor. I hope it wasn't smoking related. Poor Mrs Doyle is next in line.

Banned in Thailand!

Not so sure about that. I would need hard evidence. Anyway, it wouldn't stop me doing it.

As I understand it, clinical testing is still ongoing, and until this is successfully concluded, nobody is prepared to go out on a limb, however thick it may be, and endorse the use of e cigs, for fear of a backlash (class action sueing) if they are still cancer causing.

This is also why it's hard to find e cigs, excepting over the net.... Me... I tried quitting by getting a hookah... Dumb dumb dumb!

Really?

http://e-liquidthai.com/main/?lang=en

I have quit my 17 year 20 a day habit. Clean since December 26th, so 2 months, but it isn't easy and I know that I will live with the cravings, possibly forever - albeit mental cravings, it doesn't lessen the fact that cigarettes are incredibly addictive.

Now when my government or any around the world, quite happily lets me buy all the cigarettes I want, but tells me that Weed is illegal, well, you know that kinda pisses me off.

I was a frequent pot smoker for many years, and that wasn't too difficult to knock on the head.

I comes down to whether you are stronger then an addiction.All it takes is self discipline.Some people have it others don't.If you say that "You Know" that you will have the cravings then you either need help or to get another type of addition.

Thanks for your smug advice. Would it were that we were all as self disciplined as you evidently are. I remain proud of my accomplishment so far.

Healthy???

Please explain why vaping is healthy???

Just not as unhealthy as smoking.

Healthy???

Please explain why vaping is healthy???

Just not as unhealthy as smoking.

Vaping is 95% healthier than smoking. As far as I'm concerned, that's healthy.

Archived