I Assume We're Suffering the Dreaded Single Gateway Now

Inn Between

My internet has been awful lately, and I fear that the paranoid coup government has finally imposed their idea of dark-ages technology on their victims, i.e. the general population. I fear it's either that, or they're playing with shutting gateways and generally fiddling to try and get some understanding of how the internet really works.

Where do you live?

What provider?

Example links!!!

Links are important, as there might well be a problem to specific sites/countries.

Such threads are not helpful otherwise,

I read complaints from Pattaya east side today.

My internet is not slow.

Just downloaded the 50 MB test file from this site:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

(the data is supposed to come from the UK)

Took about 1:20 min, 5 Mbit/s on avarage (and I am not alone on the WiFi).

Not lightning fast but for an international connection quite OK.

ToT fibre, out in the sticks (Khon Kaen).

Where do you live?

What provider?

Example links!!!

Links are important, as there might well be a problem to specific sites/countries.

My internet is not slow.

Just did the same 50MB but it took a very long time ! 1min and 40 whole seconds.

I will complain ! smile.png

But the Government says the one gateway, A.K.A. The Great Firewall of Thailand

is good for everyone,and saves money too,of cause we will never hear when it will

come into force,you will just notice when its faster to send email by carrier pigeon !

regards Worgeordie

Having experienced problems in my office in the centre of Pattaya, I've done various speed tests, and all results from within Thailand are fine, but run a test to the UK or USA it is painfully slow rendering some sites timing out. May be a technical problem or ......

TRUE is our provider, and reported this to them to be told the standard gumf that they don't guarantee any speed no matter what the contract says but will pass it on to the technicians.

Hopefully a temporary hitch and no more than that ....

Having experienced problems in my office in the centre of Pattaya, I've done various speed tests, and all results from within Thailand are fine, but run a test to the UK or USA it is painfully slow rendering some sites timing out. May be a technical problem or ......

TRUE is our provider, and reported this to them to be told the standard gumf that they don't guarantee any speed no matter what the contract says but will pass it on to the technicians.

Download and run PingPlotter.

It will identify where the block is occurring. Easy to use.

I just ran my preferred/trusted in depth test: ICSI Netalyzr (from Berkeley University)

I run this from time to time and keep a link history of the test reports (which are stored on their servers).

Uplink and downlink speeds (to US west coast) are excellent.
The test result contains just two minor "yellow flags" all the rest is 100% green and OK.

Network bandwidth (?): Upload 2.8 Mbit/s, Download >20 Mbit/s

Your Uplink: We measured your uplink's sending bandwidth at 2.8 Mbit/s. This level of bandwidth works well for many users.
Your Downlink: We measured your downlink's receiving bandwidth at >20 Mbit/s. This level of bandwidth works well for many users.

The yellow flags are from ToTs DNS server (I changed from Google to "Automatic" for the test):

Direct probing of DNS resolvers (?)

Your system is configured to use 2 DNS resolver(s).
The resolver at None is not responding to requests.
The resolver at 0.0.0.0 is not responding to requests.
DNS glue policy (?): OK
Your ISP's DNS resolver does not accept generic additional (glue) records — good.
Your ISP's DNS resolver does not accept additional (glue) records which correspond to nameservers.
Your ISP's DNS resolver follows CNAMEs regardless of their location, but only after having learned that this nameserver is valid for the other domain. This is very unusual.

Just did the same 50MB but it took a very long time ! 1min and 40 whole seconds.

I will complain ! smile.png

You should storm their office immediately biggrin.png

Where do you live?

What provider?

Example links!!!

My internet is not slow.

"My internet is not slow."

Mine is OK too.

As so often happens, when something happens to an individual or a few, there's a dramatic rush to generalize it to everyone and everywhere.

Of course the provider cannot guarantee speeds. How could they?

Speed may be a factor of how many connections a website/server has. Additionally, there are many routes taken to get to that website...any number of problems along the way.

Some people have not even figured out how their home network works. I turn off my wifi and connect a LAN line directly to the modem, for a 25 percent increase in speed. When I switch to wifi, and disconnect the LAN line, my speed reduces (of course). Add that to being upstairs in another room, and it's hit and miss.

My home sometimes has two or three other people connecting...which again slows down my speed.

Speed may be a factor of how many connections a website/server has. Additionally, there are many routes taken to get to that website...any number of problems along the way.

Some people have not even figured out how their home network works. When I switch to wifi, and disconnect the LAN line, my speed reduces (of course). Add that to being upstairs in another room, and it's hit and miss.

My home sometimes has two or three other people connecting...which again slows down my speed.

If your wifi is slower than your internet, there's something wrong with it.

Some people have not even figured out how their home network works. When I switch to wifi, and disconnect the LAN line, my speed reduces (of course). Add that to being upstairs in another room, and it's hit and miss.

If your wifi is slower than your internet, there's something wrong with it.

No. nothing wrong. It's normal.

I use wifi upstairs...and quite a distance from the router. The LAN line is always best. I get only a fair to good signal upstairs...and it does in fact, slow down.

One other factor is the age of the laptop and the wifi card inside. Some are not perfectly compatible with the new routers provided by your ISP. I had one that limited me to 100....while on LAN I would get higher 150. Another laptop was worse. 75 wifi .

Irregardless...it does not hurt to try this. Switch of the wifi on the laptop and connect directly by wire....and run a speedcheck. Then compare it with wifi. Also check your Status on Network Connections.

Your wifi should not be enough of a bottleneck to affect your download speeds. If you don't understand this, or your wifi network really is so poor as to do this, then you shouldn't really be criticising other people for not figuring out how to set up their home networks.

My Internet is also very very slow.

Thai Websites are fast, but international sites take forever to load.

Don't know if it's the Single Gateway or something else

I noticed that starting today, trying to do internet banking with my German bank was a nightmare,kept timing out

My Internet is also very very slow.

Thai Websites are fast, but international sites take forever to load.

Don't know if it's the Single Gateway or something else

I noticed that starting today, trying to do internet banking with my German bank was a nightmare,kept timing out

+1

My banks website wouldn't even load completely on my TOT internet connection. I had to use my phones 3G connection to be able to do a transfer.

I see several have fiber optic...I am thinking of switching to it...is it generally more reliable as to speed and security? I live alone in a house in the Rawai district of Phuket and do not share wifi. Any opinions about the 3 different providers---3BB, TOT, and CAT?

Somewhat bewildered. WiFi has been lousy, complained to the seller and he has tried two routers. Neither of which has improved the situation a great deal. Seems to be time of day related, terrible around 5 pm in Chiang Mai. Kids getting out of school?

In Chiang Rai, both broadband and WiFi very good with 3BB. So fuctifino.

I've noticed SiNet throttling and non-standard connection timeout settings for longer period of time. XHR-requests drop after 30secs and regular requests timeout at 60secs. Quite frustrating, especially with payment gateways & online banks, that authenticate for quite some time, since the latency is so much greater - have to use an ssh-tunnel as a SOCKS proxy with remote DNS lookups to use these sites... On-topic: haven't seen any additional hops in traceroutes so far - speeds are decent.

Why do some people start running around shouting the "the government's proposed single gateway must be in operation because my internet is so slow."

The internet has been slow for many folks in Thailand long before this single gateway proposal raised its ugly head....the problem is usually a local problem in the person's setup, too many users in a local area/connection, a loose/corroded line, low international bandwidth, and just a whole array of possible problems. Heck, until I switched to True cable/DOCSIS I had slow internet problems with TOT ADSL all the time...years before this single gateway talk started.

My internet is fine....I'm on True cable/DOCSIS in western Bangkok.

Archived