body set point

robblok

Basically a set point is a weight that your body likes and will want to keep. If you eat more.. it will burn more and if you eat less it will slow your metabolism.. anything to stay on the weight

I have read many things about this and they are not all conclusive and there is still a lot of research being done. But recent experiences have given me some hope that mine has changed.

I have been a bit stressed and as a result i ate a bit more (some crap too like snickers and other chocolate and some more carbohydrated drinks). However now I am back to normal and I dared to step on the scales again.. and.. my weight was still the same.

So after having kept mij weight off for 5 years I seem to have found a new set point and I am quite lean. I still want to go leaner but that might be asking a bit too much. But as I have often told people I need a goal otherwise i get bored.

I like the T nation explanation about how to change your body set point though I am not sure about that supplement as this is one of their own and people who sell stuff on their site recommending their own product always makes me suspicious. I must say I can't really judge it as I never used their supplement. Mainly I use fish oil, multivitamins, potassium (i can bloat if I dont). I do like how they say that you should just train and eat right to change part of your body buildup.. in reality that is what has happened with me. I am now far more muscular as I ever was and far leaner.

Just giving some good news from experience, though the set point debate rages on by no means is what i put here 100% proven.

https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/change-your-body-fat-set-point

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/

• 2 weeks later...

There's an important consideration that you don't mention here. TRT changes all the equations. Levels of testosterone and estrogen are extremely relevant in discussions of muscularity and body fat... i.e. more testosterone increases muscle mass and decreases fat. Testosterone also has quite a benefit in cases of insulin resistance. Lowering testosterone and increasing estrogen will change the set point as we age.

I am unusually horny and have big tits...does this mean i am high in both testosterone and estrogen....if so, that is freaky.

Nothing freaky about it. High testosterone and high estrogen go hand in hand because as you should be aware, one is converted to the other. Of course low testosterone and high estrogen is even worse as you'll have low sex drive and big tits.

I won't go any further, as I'm sure you're only here to bait.

There's an important consideration that you don't mention here. TRT changes all the equations. Levels of testosterone and estrogen are extremely relevant in discussions of muscularity and body fat... i.e. more testosterone increases muscle mass and decreases fat. Testosterone also has quite a benefit in cases of insulin resistance. Lowering testosterone and increasing estrogen will change the set point as we age.

TRT might change the it all, but been doing TRT for a while now and before I could still easily gain fat now its different. So its not the only thing that counts. I think maintaining a certain level of weight and muscle for a longer time plays a major part too. The body loves homeostasis and by staying at a certain level for a long time it can become the new setpoint. Still science is not sure about it.

Archived