Living in Rayong

sarahelisabethh1

`Hi There,

I am a 22 year old female, I have just been offered a teaching post in Rayong. (I will be the only english teacher)

I am just worried about the lack of expats there. Is there an expat community in Rayong at all?

I am not going for the party lifestyle, so not living in Bangkok doesn't bother me, but I am quite a sociable individual and would like to make friends with other expats living close by. I also don't drive, so I don't have the option of travelling by car!

Can anybody give me any advice? What is the public transport like? Will I be lonely?

Please do help me if you can I really don't want to make the wrong decision!

Thank you!

If you don't have your own transport outside Bangkok.. you are always going to struggle hard. You either need to drive, which will allow you to venture to the likes of Pattaya, or you need to ride motorbikes, which will allow you to commute easily within Rayong. There are plenty expats in Rayong. Many of them live in Pattaya and travel to Rayong to work, also many of them live locally in Rayong.

I live in Rayong.....5 minutes out from the City center. Yes...there are expats here but I'm afraid I can be of little help as I'm retired and therefore know little of the young expats life.

That being said there of many schools here with expat teachers, each school having about 20 or more farang teachers.

So ....best you ask the school about their farang teachers .

As for transportation....Sukumvit RD is the main road with many baht buses all the time .

Can get easily around if you have a bike.

Good luck

Rayong isn't far from Pattaya where theres plenty of expats, a short bus ride, its an adventure grab it.

Not sure about the 'short bus ride'...

Isn't it about half-an-hour from Banchang to Pattaya, assuming the traffic's not too bad? So it must take even longer from Rayong to Pattaya?

Lots of foreign teachers in Ban Chang, short bus ride from Rayong.

Plenty public transport available despite what some posters say.

Rayong, Ban Chang and surrounding areas have an abundance of malls, shops, restaurants, bars, hospitals, clinics, beaches, etc. etc. certainly no need to waste your time travelling to Pattaya for anything.

You have not signed up for the rest of your life. Go there, blend in and learn Thai. Get acquainted to the food and things; Rayong is not such a sick place like Pattaya. Do this for a year and you'll know exactly what to do next.
22 years - your life has not even started yet; so go for it with a positive attitude; you can always leave, you know?

Good luck; you'll have a great time - promised!

Go for it, you will have a great time,

If you can ride a motorcycle then that would make transportation a lot easier, but you need to be able to ride safely and defensively as motorcycle accidents are one of the biggest risks to your health in Thailand.

Its fair to mention that most young expats are male, and not many are as young as 22. As you are not looking for a party lifestyle you will be fine I am sure. Rayong is not a bad place to be, perhaps it would be easier if you were somewhere like Chiang Mai.

Its a great opportunity.

May I gently suggest that you begin spelling English with a capital 'E', if you will be teaching it?

Best wishes, and enjoy Thailand.

grammer police!

a dig at the op with a few words of not off topic,

Rayong is a busy place, not far from ban phe/koh samet ( beaches and resorts), and Ban chang ( again local beach resorts, expat bar strip) , songtales/baht buses - https://www.google.co.th/search?q=songtales+thailand&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl2oyPvqPLAhXQTI4KHZQpBXIQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=baht+bus+thailand , drive this route

there is laem tong mall, - https://www.google.co.th/search?q=songtales+thailand&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl2oyPvqPLAhXQTI4KHZQpBXIQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=lamg+tong+rayong as well as other shopping venues, tesco lotus, home pro, etc

Rayong is split by the busy main sukhumvit road, to the south is the coast, to the north is the main 36 road ( running parallel with sukhumvit road , until they join east of Rayong) with all the big diy stores, car dealerships, central shopping mall, Big C, makro etc

a vehicle would be useful, it would depend on the location of the school, where you are living, and the closeness to local shops etc.

is the school an international one , or a local government one, make sure the work permit and your visa ( they are 2 different things, by 2 different departments) is all sorted.

Lots of doom and gloom posters on here, do some research, ask on here for any advice, and i'm sure it will be a really good experience for you,

And obviously...be careful...with so few farang in the area, everyone will soon know who you are and that you are alone...I lived in that area for some time, and I often witnessed lots of young men, both Thai and Burmese, who seemed to be on the fringes of society...barely getting by and justifiably angry about their life's lot...and while I had no problems myself, I'm not a young woman...this is a misogynistic society, with few penalties for violent crime...make friends with other teachers and do not go out alone at night...

Laem Thong is a large shopping centre in the centre of Rayong It has great shopping, coffee shops, fast food and good restaurants. When ever I have been there I have seen many foreigners young and old.

Baan Chang is about 25 mins away by baht bus many foreign teachers and places to meet.

Pattaya approx 45 mins to 1 hr depending on traffic by coach.

Don't travel distances alone at night.

You pick the wrong country too come too with so many fears. If you think your a teacher how do you expect to be a teacher here and show by example how to learn and grow in life.

Walking and riding a bicycle will give you some freedom.

Someone said adventure , go for it. I don't need to burn fag on my arm for the experience.

Bad choice you will be lonely as hell. Maybe do a 6 month contract. At your age look at Vietnam to teach. As for "nipping into pattaya" what for. You might go weekends koh samed. Plenty young folk there. You will need a scooter.

You should just go expecting that you will meet other teachers who know others - if you do not go because you think you might be lonely, you are cutting yourself off - if you do go and are lonely, then you can transfer or leave - go with positive expectations - I am sure you will be fine. And yes, there is public transportation and that will be quite easy...

I presume you'll be starting work in April as the schools are just starting to break up for the holidays so depending when you arrive here you can have plenty of time to travel around. If your job is in the centre of Rayong you could get a songthaew from Ban Phe or the beach at Hat Mae Rhumpung for 20 baht each way if you didn't want to live in the city as there is a quiet expat community here and you will have access to Koh Samet if you did want to party although Rayong has some nice bars along a stretch of road which runs parallel to the main Sukhumvit road. If you need any help or advice about accommodation if you decided to take up the post and wanted to live around Ban Phe please pm me any queries you might have. Also be aware that Rayong is extremely industrialised and only if you go towards Klaeng or Laem Mae Phim do you get away from it.

You pick the wrong country too come too with so many fears. If you think your a teacher how do you expect to be a teacher here and show by example how to learn and grow in life.

Walking alone and/or riding a bicycle is very dangerous for a single female.

I presume you'll be starting work in April as the schools are just starting to break up for the holidays so depending when you arrive here you can have plenty of time to travel around. If your job is in the centre of Rayong you could get a songthaew from Ban Phe or the beach at Hat Mae Rhumpung for 20 baht each way if you didn't want to live in the city as there is a quiet expat community here and you will have access to Koh Samet if you did want to party although Rayong has some nice bars along a stretch of road which runs parallel to the main Sukhumvit road. If you need any help or advice about accommodation if you decided to take up the post and wanted to live around Ban Phe please pm me any queries you might have. Also be aware that Rayong is extremely industrialised and only if you go towards Klaeng or Laem Mae Phim do you get away from it.

Sounds like an excellent idea, in re: the offer from sandrabbit for advice via PM.

I am reminded of a dear friend who, with her best girl friend, larked off to Pakistan for a few months, backpacks, etc. A bit younger than you at the time, actually, and they spent time along the frontier with Afghanistan during the Russian occupation. Happily many fine people helped them along the way.

I say go for it, and you will have a remarkable experience that will influence the rest of your life.

I will also add to the cautions about a young woman on her own in these parts. You will often see young Thai girls operating as couples. They are not necessarily gay, but there is additional safety involved. I suggest seeking out other young lady teachers and going about in groups when you do go out, until you learn the ropes well enough to move with confidence.

Have fun!

Hi

as a single female living in Thailand, I would like to alert you on a total different set of problems you will encounter. Being a single white female is a big problem in Thailand. Particularly women will not be friendly or accepting. The refusal takes all kind of forms. Brace yourself. Middle class and upper class women will be gracious and polite, no worries there.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks so much guys! And thanks for the advice I will post in the other group!

Your very young and I can recall being 22 decades ago. I would assume your good looking so my advice is be careful. Don't be overly adventurous and get yourself cornered in a Thai bar. Travel with friends safety in numbers. Always be aware of your surroundings. A lot of young people have run into trouble here over the last couple years and being a good looking foreign young lady just ups the odds. Enjoy be careful and always be in control. Never hand that control over to strangers.

Walking alone and/or riding a bicycle is very dangerous for a single female.

In daylight and in reasonably well populated areas here is nothing the least bit dangerous about a woman walking alone, complete nonsense. Should of course avoid walking alone through deserted areas or late at night except perhaps on well lit streets in the heart of the town.

Bicycling the issue is how not to get hit by cars, same whether you are male or female.

OP - I have lived in Thailand as a single western female for most of my adult life. It is not exceptionally dangerous or violent contrary to what some of these posts seem to imply. Of course it is not completely crime free either. Reasonable caution is indicated but no need for excessive fearfulness nor to keep yourself cloistered away. . A good rule of thumb is to observe what the local women are doing.

Hi

as a single female living in Thailand, I would like to alert you on a total different set of problems you will encounter. Being a single white female is a big problem in Thailand. Particularly women will not be friendly or accepting. The refusal takes all kind of forms. Brace yourself. Middle class and upper class women will be gracious and polite, no worries there.

I wish you the best of luck.

Absolute nonsense. If you are having big problems, it is not because you are a single white female.

In several decades here, I have found Thai women to be perfectly friendly and accepting. The only time it is otherwise in my experience is if they think you are a threat i.e. if their male partner is eyeing you or the like.

Rayong is a large town. You will have few problems as long as you constantly use an abundance of common sense. ThaiVIsa is not the best place for women to seek advice, being inhabited by lots of misogynists expats with but a few voices from women willing to brave the testosterone-lacking insecurities of many of the posters.

For some insights into womens lives in Thailand from a Thai perspective may I suggest the blog of a long time friend: http://thaiwomantalks.com/

Archived