Phi Phi Island releases 83% wastewater untreated

snoop1130

Phi Phi Island releases 83% wastewater untreated
Sukawin Tanthavanich

post-249866-0-38044100-1457010357_thumb.

PHUKET: -- About 83 per cent of wastewater on the popular tourist island of Phi Phi Don is flowing directly into the ocean untreated, confirmed officials today.

A stink about the untreated wastewater was raised after it was revealed that about 1,800 cubic meters of wastewater was produced on the island each day, but only 300 cubic meters could be handled by the Wastewater Collection and Constructed Wetland System in place.

“This water is flowing directly out into the sea, damaging the delicate coral reef ecosystem,” explained Thon Thamrongnawasawat, who was brought to Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko PhiPhi National Park last October to serve as a policy adviser. “Additionally, it is creating a foul smell, which is affecting locals and tourists.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phi-Phi-Island-releases-83-wastewater-untreated/63321?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-03

In years gone by this info was buried, but social media changed everything. A few well placed face book links can have a damaging effect but it's not just thailand, just about ever 3rd world or developing countries are the same

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Another of many stories in Thailand of not caring about anything but the money. When the coral reef is gone and the ocean stinks just party and get raped and murdered.

Another slant, one of the many many many cases / situations where officials paid by the public purse have not been doing their job. They should have spoken up a long time ago, that's what they're paid for.

Why didn't they - they should be investigated on this and if appropriate charged with dereliction of duty.

"

Ao Nang OrBorTor President Pankum Kittithonkun, who is also in charge of the island, explained to the Phuket Gazette that there was nothing that could be done."
good. shut the whole island down until infrastructure is up the the task.

Welcome to PEE PEE Island! Where you can swim in the ocean in a tropical paradise . No need to worry about food poisoning or drinking some "bad' water.

You will be swimming through clouds of human fecal matter! Made by happy Thai people! Looks just like mud! See the smile on the locals faces? "Farang swim in my sh*t".

And tomorrow we leave for "Death Island."

Yep. Pretty common unfortunately. I was on a day snorkeling trip around Ko Samet and while the water seemed in general pretty ok, the coral and sea bottom was pretty drab and grey and brown and colorless. Certainly wasn't the great barrier reef like we see on the discovery channel!

The 20 Naht they take from every visitor stepping onto the island, easily could be for a waste water treatment. But than Mia Noi might not drive around with the latest Mercedes Benz...

Ao Nang OrBorTor President Pankum Kittithonkun, who is also in charge of the island, explained to the Phuket Gazette that there was nothing that could be done."

​I have a suggestion. Remove this charlatan immediately. Replace him with someone who is competent, and a real leader. There are dozens of potential solutions. First, I propose using some of the hundreds of millions of baht in revenue to build a small waste treatment plant. If there is not a reasonable budget for that try a company like:

Orenco has been designing and manufacturing affordable, "green" wastewater systems for more than 30 years ... decades before "green" became popular. Our technologies are highly energy-efficient and allow treated effluent to be returned harmlessly to the environment for re-use via subsurface irrigation or for groundwater recharge via drainfield, lagoon, or constructed wetland. Orenco's engineers and scientists have more than 500 years of wastewater experience among them, and they are regularly asked to give presentations and workshops all over the world.

There are countless alternatives. There are countless green technologies out there, these days, for waste treatment. This man is very obviously not a creative thinker, and not a competent leader. Phi Phi is situated in the middle of a spectacular body of water, that is renowned for diving. This pissant is fouling what remains of the healthy reefs, with no regard whatsoever, for the future of the area. Remove him at once, and imprison him, for the foul manner in which he runs the islands, and the crimes he has committed, which no doubt are too numerous to mention. Find someone who is creative. Find a yes man, who is willing to work hard to restore what is left of this island area. Do something. Act. Stop talking, and behave like men, and take action.

The same thing is happening on all of the southern islands. Samui has been releasing waste water for decades, into the sea. Same with Phangan, and Dark Tao. The reefs in the Gulf are all nearly dead. Some remain, but the Gulf is a pale shadow of what it used to be, and the responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of Ramnate, and several other incompetent leaders, both local, and provincial, who are human vacuum cleaners. They suck, suck, suck. They give very, very little back, and just take everything they can, for personal enrichment. All need to be tried, convicted, and imprisoned.

Be careful what you wish for. The gases that were the result of some kind of treatment up on top of the hill, killed some backpackers about three years ago. There are bungalows alongside the khlong coming down the hill, the description one guy gave of his GF/fiance dying sounded like mustard gas, her lungs dissolved.

Yes, Phi Phi Don Village is a dump, but there are other parts of Phi Phi that are quite nice away from this area.

I was there in 1977, have never been back- so have memories and some pics of stunning beaches , crystal seas and I can't remember much development- bamboo huts.

I do not like to bash Thailand, it's my home now.

The environmental issues here are becoming worse and worse. The area next to my village in Jomtien ( which is quite up market and beautifully kept ) has now turned into a vast rubbish dump, filling in the lakes where the locals used to fish everyday) .

I feel sorry for the owners of a vast condo nearby( if it is ever finished!) who would have had quite a pleasant aspect - now they look over several rai of smouldering rubbish.

It's all depressing, I have not been in the sea for years , and unlikely to go swimming again.

I was there in 1977, have never been back- so have memories and some pics of stunning beaches , crystal seas and I can't remember much development- bamboo huts.

The environmental issues here are becoming worse and worse. The area next to my village in Jomtien ( which is quite up market and beautifully kept ) has now turned into a vast rubbish dump, filling in the lakes where the locals used to fish everyday) .

I feel sorry for the owners of a vast condo nearby( if it is ever finished!) who would have had quite a pleasant aspect - now they look over several rai of smouldering rubbish.

It's all depressing, I have not been in the sea for years , and unlikely to go swimming again.

I lived in Samui for years, and hardly ever went swimming. The studies I read on the microbe levels in the water surrounding the island was positively frightening. And this is a decent sized tourist island that attracts millions of tourists. Shame on the authorities for not being man enough to control this problem. There is plenty of cash to address this problem. But, there is also a very greedy mayor, named Ramnate, who is interested in massive development, and making sure the island moves in the direction of SW Bali but has no plan, nor vision toward a bright future for the island's residents nor tourists, nor traffic mitigation or other environmental concerns.

A report showed that for the four years the septic systems in Koh Samui have been malfunctioning and rather than being contained in a system of sewerage wells, it has been seeping into bodies of water and the Tasman Lake along with waste water from local households. During the severe flooding three years ago, all of the untreated waste was washed into the sea causing considerable damage to the aquatic environment. The main concern is that if the sewerage issue is not resolved it will start to affect tourism costing the country billions in tourist revenue every year.

http://www.samuitimes.com/does-samuis-waste-water-all-end-up-in-the-sea/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/37024-raw-sewage-on-lamai-beach/page-2

Glaring problems exist with Koh Samui's waste treatment, water supply and transportation systems.Satirapong says the island's waste-treatment system has the capacity to clear only 70 tonnes of waste a day, but the local and visiting populations create more than double that amount. The question is how to solve the infrastructure problems and develop Koh Samui as a permanent tourist destination.The island's tourist association has proposed to the Surat Thani Provincial Administration Organisation that it set aside a budget to develop the district's infrastructure.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Big-money-pouring-into-Koh-Samui-30066093.html

I lived in Samui for years, and hardly ever went swimming. The studies I read on the microbe levels in the water surrounding the island was positively frightening. And this is a decent sized tourist island that attracts millions of tourists. Shame on the authorities for not being man enough to control this problem. There is plenty of cash to address this problem. But, there is also a very greedy mayor, named Ramnate, who is interested in massive development, and making sure the island moves in the direction of SW Bali but has no plan, nor vision toward a bright future for the island's residents nor tourists, nor traffic mitigation or other environmental concerns.

A report showed that for the four years the septic systems in Koh Samui have been malfunctioning and rather than being contained in a system of sewerage wells, it has been seeping into bodies of water and the Tasman Lake along with waste water from local households. During the severe flooding three years ago, all of the untreated waste was washed into the sea causing considerable damage to the aquatic environment. The main concern is that if the sewerage issue is not resolved it will start to affect tourism costing the country billions in tourist revenue every year.

Glaring problems exist with Koh Samui's waste treatment, water supply and transportation systems.Satirapong says the island's waste-treatment system has the capacity to clear only 70 tonnes of waste a day, but the local and visiting populations create more than double that amount. The question is how to solve the infrastructure problems and develop Koh Samui as a permanent tourist destination.The island's tourist association has proposed to the Surat Thani Provincial Administration Organisation that it set aside a budget to develop the district's infrastructure.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Big-money-pouring-into-Koh-Samui-30066093.html

Last I was in Samui was in '93, and it was well known the body of water the crooked/bent wooden bridge to the Marley Bar went over was a sewage lake.

Watched a drunken Euro ride his moto off into this at about 4AM, the first thing everyone was saying (after realizing he was o.k.) was that he was going to need shots. Injection type,not alcohol type, he'd had enough of those.

Whats the big deal?

I have been harping on about this for 20 years, which backs up my theory of quality tourism over quantity.

Thailands infrastructure can not handle there huge amounts of people & maybe now water resources as well

Worse than sewerage are the vast amounts of fats that are poured into all sorts of inappropriate places (Bangkok as well)

Another of many stories in Thailand of not caring about anything but the money. When the coral reef is gone and the ocean stinks just party and get raped and murdered.

Its always about the money honey here. Once it affects tourism they begrudgingly reach for their wallet. The stink is in on this one but it takes time to build new sewage facilities. They the government seems more focused on subs, tanks, troops, missiles than sanitary conditions. Again they saw and smelled this coming and turned their back on it till the stench could no longer be ignored. Makes one wonder how a situation like this can rise up when there are mayors, governors and other politico's close at hand.

"

good. shut the whole island down until infrastructure is up the the task.

This guy would have been better off to just say "no comment" than to say nothing could be done. I guess Flint Michigan does not have the market cornered on politicians that just do not care anymore.

Its always about the money honey here. Once it affects tourism they begrudgingly reach for their wallet. The stink is in on this one but it takes time to build new sewage facilities. They the government seems more focused on subs, tanks, troops, missiles than sanitary conditions. Again they saw and smelled this coming and turned their back on it till the stench could no longer be ignored. Makes one wonder how a situation like this can rise up when there are mayors, governors and other politico's close at hand.

This is what is referred to as polar opposite of visionary leadership. The inability to perceive the future before it happens. And the lack of caring deeply about the state of the country, the environment, the seas, the land and the people and animals that live on, and depend on that land and the sea. I always say positive change, and progress will only come about here as a result of tremendous amounts of egg on the face, the deep embarrassment the lack of action has caused, and the outing of "leaders" possessed with great ignorance, incompetence, greed, and no leadership ability.

Budget? Oh you mean Budge it get moving get something sorry no comprendie. We are to busing counting tourist dollars to bother. When the rains return it will flush the problem away.

Lol... So... When the quasi legitimate businesses move on to "riper" pastures.... The islanders can get down to the real business of murder and mayhem, with less scrutiny ???

Sadly, Mike, most in power here only care about making money. There are some good leaders here, but they are rare.

...or in exile.

I overnighted on Phi Phi some time in 1978 when our boat trip returning late had to hide from a squall before darkness. Idyllic, basic, rustic, a fisherman turfed his son out so my girlfriend and I had a place to sleep. The five other boat riders chose to tough it out on the beach with a bonfire... and the mossies.

It's totally buggered now.

Archived