Koh Samui airport to be renovated

webfact

Koh Samui airport to be renovated

ks.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Koh Samui airport has been scheduled to receive a major renovation that is due to start in May or April this year. The changes, designed to ease bottlenecks, are anticipated to take anywhere between 12 and 18 months.

This will be the largest undertaking at the privately owned airport since the last renovation around ten years ago. The cost of the improvements are thought to be around the 600 million baht mark and will streamline passenger flow and enhance passengers comfort and convenience.

Reports suggest that the 2,100 meter runway and taxiway will not be included in the renovation plans as they are currently sufficient for the air traffic using the airport.

The capacity of the airport is also not of any concern, last year it handled around 2 million passengers and has the capacity to handle over double that figure, the upgrades are really designed to streamline passenger transit rather than increase the capacity.

Last year Bangkok Airways received permission to increase the number of flights going through Koh Samui from 36 to 50. The airport currently handles around 45 flights a day, mainly operated by Bangkok Airways.

Reports suggest they aim to increase that to 80 by convincing the authorities the increase would have no impact on noise pollution for the local community.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2016-03-04

And let us hope at some point in the future, the government shows the wisdom to remove the monopoly stranglehold that Bangkok Air holds over Samui. I realize that the company has spent money on the airport. But, a 30 year run is plenty. They had no business renewing the lease a few years ago. The land is not owned by Bangkok Air. The government can take back this concession anytime if it sees fit. It is amazing what a well placed lobbyist can achieve. Just ask Obama, or any politician in Thailand or the US about that.

Even the fact that they charge a $300 landing fee, for a private aircraft creates a deterrent. They operate this airport in a completely irresponsible manner. The government should take notice.

This airport is owned by Bangkok Air is it not? this would explain why it usually costs twice as much to fly there as it does to Surat.

No plans to "improve" the runway - that would be because there is no room - I got the impression that the runway is way too short - a disaster waiting to happen

There were plans to build another airport - what happened to them?

This airport is owned by Bangkok Air is it not? this would explain why it usually costs twice as much to fly there as it does to Surat.

No plans to "improve" the runway - that would be because there is no room - I got the impression that the runway is way too short - a disaster waiting to happen

The other airport was meant to go in the south of the island but they said there was not enough land ( lies) and something was mentioned about the distance the proposed new one would be from the existing one and that it wouldn't not be allowed by regulators as it would be seen as too close !

As far as I know the land is owned by Bangkok airways , hence why they can do what they want with the airport and who gets in !!

Airports all over the world have runways going into the sea, why should this be so difficult into the shallow waters of Samui.

I suspect that Bangkok Air want to retain their monopoly, so as long as we have a short runway, no international airline will be interested. Bingo !

Airports all over the world have runways going into the sea, why should this be so difficult into the shallow waters of Samui.

I suspect that Bangkok Air want to retain their monopoly, so as long as we have a short runway, no international airline will be interested. Bingo !

Yes easy enough......just knock down BiG Buddha or take a chunk out of Chaweng - Bingo!

And let us hope at some point in the future, the government shows the wisdom to remove the monopoly stranglehold that Bangkok Air holds over Samui. I realize that the company has spent money on the airport. But, a 30 year run is plenty. They had no business renewing the lease a few years ago. The land is not owned by Bangkok Air. The government can take back this concession anytime if it sees fit. It is amazing what a well placed lobbyist can achieve. Just ask Obama, or any politician in Thailand or the US about that.

Even the fact that they charge a $300 landing fee, for a private aircraft creates a deterrent. They operate this airport in a completely irresponsible manner. The government should take notice.

THe govt did intervene many years back and insisted they allow other airlines access and the Bangkok Airways offer some discount flights...........

THe govt did intervene many years back and insisted they allow other airlines access and the Bangkok Airways offer some discount flights...........

And Bangkok Air insisted that no other airline offer any flight that is priced lower than theirs. A real service to the public the government offered. A real service.

And as far as discount flights to and from Samui, they are few and far between. Did any government official ever follow that up? Of course not.

The reason why it costs twice as much is not entirely because it's owned by Bangkok Airways.

The reason would be because the aircraft are landing directly on Samui, not Surat Thani. Surat Thani is not Samui, it's a bus ride and then ferry trip to Samui, a considerable time more travelling and a pain in the ass.

Like any place on earth, taking a direct flight to your destination is always going to cost more than the cheaper, more indirect route.

Koh Samui airport is a design "nightmare" From the departure checkin area is a long walk to the departure lounges and from the arrival area it is a long walk to the vehicle pickup area.

For a small capacity airport these situations should never need to exist.

Would also be great if the company installed a taxi waiting area where only taxis using meters were permitted to wait.

Bangkok to Singapore costs half of Bangkok to Samui. Monopoly pays. In house taxi service also a rip off, 500 baht compared to 300 baht to Choeng Mon plus an unbelievable extra charge if the taxi has to go up a hill!!!!!

On the positive side the Samui resident card is a plus.

Bangkok to Singapore costs half of Bangkok to Samui. Monopoly pays. In house taxi service also a rip off, 500 baht compared to 300 baht to Choeng Mon plus an unbelievable extra charge if the taxi has to go up a hill!!!!!

On the positive side the Samui resident card is a plus.

The problem I have with the Resident Card is it can not be used for internet bookings, as there is no facility for entering card details via the net.

Archived