Onion Bahjiis ... Cooked At Home

davidjtayler

Further to my recipe discussion with Mr jayenram of Surin and Yorkshire I utilised his fine recipe to make my very own onion bahjiis in my very own humble abode ... here is an update...

jayenrams onion bahjii recipe ...

In my opinion, the proper way to make onion bhajiyas:

150 gm gram flour

1 tsp salt

pinch bicarb

1 tblsp ground rice

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground red chilis

2 - 3 chopped fresh green chilis

2 large onions, sliced into half rings

200 ml water

Oil for deep frying

Seive the flour and mix in the salt, bicarb, rice, cumin, coriander, ground chili and green chili. Mix it all up well. Add the onions and mix it up a lot. Gradually add the water until the batter becomes fairly thick and sticks to the onion rings. heat the oil to 170 degC. Grab half a handful of the mix and put in the oil. Put in as many as the pan will hold without them sticking together. Reduce the heat and deep fry for around 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown.

how to make the yellow sauce to go with them ?

You've got me there.

However, try mixing some fresh chopped mint and ground roasted cumin seeds with yoghurt as per:

10 fl oz (285 ml) plain yoghurt

1 tblsp finely chopped fresh mint

1/4 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds

pinch of red chili powder

1/2 tsp salt

ground black pepper

I suppose if you want it yellow, you could add a little ground turmeric

I obtained all the ingredients successfully at the local supermarket and proceeded to follow his instructions to the letter ...

The only thing I changed was the style of the bahjii to a more classical golf ball shape as I would be acustomed to in the UK.

The results were spectacular with the first ever successful cooking of a batch of homemade onion bahjiis in a djt household either in the UK, Thailand or elsewhere !

Here is the photographic evidence ....

post-33115-1161793342_thumb.jpg ... first fresh batch of bahjiis with yellow sauce !

post-33115-1161793585_thumb.jpg ... birds eye view !

post-33115-1161793649_thumb.jpg ... 2nd batch of bahjiis cooking in the fryer ...

A dozen bahjiis were cooked in total and all attained perfect consistancy .. crisp on the outside and soft in the middle ... the flavour was superb and the yellow sauce was a revelation ....!

Between cooking and eating the first batch of bahjiis and cooking and eating the second batch I left the bahjii batter in the fridge for an hour and found that when colder it was much less sticky and therefore easier to mould into shape before frying.

I would like to thank Mr jayenram of Surin and Yorkshire very very much for his huge input in this project and wish everyone succesful cooking ventures in the future :o

I would like to thank Mr jayenram of Surin and Yorkshire very very much for his huge input in this project and wish everyone succesful cooking ventures in the future :D

Your thanks are duly noted and appreciated.

PS: I'm not averse to accepting a free beer on occasions.

:o

I would like to thank Mr jayenram of Surin and Yorkshire very very much for his huge input in this project and wish everyone succesful cooking ventures in the future :D

Your thanks are duly noted and appreciated.

PS: I'm not averse to accepting a free beer on occasions.

:o

No worries .. if you are coming through Bangers just PM me and a few beers will be duly chilled .... :D