British tourist dies after Full Moon party in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

British tourist dies after Full Moon party in Thailand

post-137452-0-41661100-1457139052_thumb.

SUART THANI:-- A British tourist was found dead after going to a Full Moon party in Thailand while on holiday with friends.

Stewart Middleton, 25, was travelling with 10 others when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island.

Thousands of tourists flock to the all-night parties held on the beach, where they paint their faces with luminous paint and drink from buckets of alcohol in what has come to be known as a backpacker rite of passage.

Stewart, a keen rugby player from Powys in Wales, was taken to hospital but couldn’t be saved

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tourist Brit, 25, dies in Thailand 'after nasty fall' at infamous Full Moon party

SURAT THANI:-- A BRITISH tourist died after a paradise party in Thailand went disastrously wrong.

Stewart Middleton, 25, was killed by head injuries on the idyllic Thai island of Koh Phangan last week.

He is believed to have fallen and hit his head during a Full Moon party notorious alcohol-fuelled bashes that go on all night.t

Stewart, a keen rugby player from Knighton, Powys, was on a dream holiday with ten friends.

Full story: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6977681/Tourist-Brit-25-dead-in-Thailand-after-nasty-fall-at-Full-Moon-party.html

Posting on Facebook, his friend Nick Davies wrote on Facebook: ‘Gone from one of the best holidays of my life to worst in a flash.. Gone but never forgotten r.i.p. Stewy.’

Sadly this kind of post has been made far too often from those lawless isles.

Condolences to friends and family

It is sad to lose a young person out grabbing onto life and really LIVING it ... not some couch potato wasting life locked in a tiny "smart phone"

These things happen .. but still ... a moment to pause and be grateful that we, who also travel the world and go "over the top" once in a while ... can pause and say "But for the grace of god ... go I"

Rest in Peace young man, knowing you went out with the throttle wide open and a grin on your face.

Posting on Facebook, his friend Nick Davies wrote on Facebook: ‘Gone from one of the best holidays of my life to worst in a flash.. Gone but never forgotten r.i.p. Stewy.’

Canuck ... thank you for providing the answer to "How many postings will it take to somehow imply the problem here is of Thai origin?" IE: "lawless isles"

I have no interest in your reply, but reply if you must get the last word ... I am taking a lesson from this young adventure's story, getting off my arse, and heading out today to squeeze as much as I can from this beautiful day, in the beautiful Kingdom of Thailand.

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

It is sad to lose a young person out grabbing onto life and really LIVING it

Your horizons, ambitions and hopes must be severely limited if you seriously consider joining a herd of drone like backpackers to attend a full moon party on a squalid little island "grabbing on to life and really LIVING it."

And ? I am sick of all these fantastic people who are taken before their time who basically are a PITA.

Yes they are young and mostly don’t give a Flook for anyone else or where they are as they DON’T LIVE THERE..or have to live with drunk and drugged up fools every 2 weeks, his photo shows he was just like the idiots from the Ryan Air flight last week

So here’s the mandatory RIP

dont bother replying to my post as I JUST DONT CARE ..

NEXT

'when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island.'

These full moon parties can be dangerous as seen in the past. Upsetting the mafia, drinking from buckets, drugs & mushroom cocktails all can be lethal on these islands .... Koh Tao is just one example.... blink.png

RIP .. way too young.

Alcohol and possible drugs lead to dangerous and sometimes life-threatening situations. Although, he might've been one that was sober but I very much doubt it.

I once adviced a friend against going to that crazy party island and he listened and enjoyed Thailand in other ways. I see no point going to somewhere where you might get robbed, poisoned, drugged or possibly sexually abused or even killed. It is an industry feeding on stupid young people.

And whoever wrote this...

idyllic Thai island of Koh Phangan

You must be in a heavily drunken state to see some idyllic in a place that is filled with plastic and garbage and full of noisy drunken druggies blasting music surrounded by local mafia thugs...not my idea of idyllic anyway...

Lawless islands...very much so and who might be behind the corruption and mafia? I wonder...

Canuck ... thank you for providing the answer to "How many postings will it take to somehow imply the problem here is of Thai origin?" IE: "lawless isles"

I have no interest in your reply, but reply if you must get the last word ... I am taking a lesson from this young adventure's story, getting off my arse, and heading out today to squeeze as much as I can from this beautiful day, in the beautiful Kingdom of Thailand.

"Lawless" as in civilized countries don't serve alcohol by the bucket and they keep an eye on people. If someone appears to be intoxicated they get cut off in a bar or store.

Yes, this is lawless behavior and unfortunately people die from it, despite the people who "liked" your post.

Cheers.

'when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island.'

These full moon parties can be dangerous as seen in the past. Upsetting the mafia, drinking from buckets, drugs & mushroom cocktails all can be lethal on these islands .... Koh Tao is just one example.... blink.png

RIP .. way too young.

Why must we continue with all the BS------- Quotes------- "a paradise party"------ "an idyllic Thai Island"

If it was that wonderful,how come he's dead -------- the obligatory RIPcoffee1.gif

I know many people are sensitive to Thai bashing and will defend even the indefensible. Going to parties and getting a bit drunk is part of growing up and there will be some who die from accidents like this and at home others who drive drunk and end up with a similar fate. Life is full of risks to navigate, some are lucky and some are not.

BUT the parties on this island are designed to be completely over the top and have been taken over by really bad types. Drugs are freely available and drinks, well actually poisonous buckets of liquid pushed on people who are egged on through peer pressure, macho or whatever to imbibe dangerous amounts of alcohol often mixed with other substances. There is absolutely no effort to curb the worst excesses of drugs or toxic cocktails. This is not normal and yet has become the raisin d'etre for attending the 'party'. There is plenty going on way beyond the law there and zero attemot to curtail anything, in fact to encourage it because all involved are corrupt.

This is the element that is bad - the utter excess - and that lies at the doorstep of Thailand to fix. They won't because it is all about money and nothing to do with freedom or any other excuse used as a smokescreen for the reality.

Ah so is it wrong to say this sort of thing happens too often, or just to mention the location.

Hope the lesson you take from this story won't find you in tomorrow's new content.

I know many people are sensitive to Thai bashing and will defend even the indefensible. Going to parties and getting a bit drunk is part of growing up and there will be some who die from accidents like this and at home others who drive drunk and end up with a similar fate. Life is full of risks to navigate, some are lucky and some are not.

BUT the parties on this island are designed to be completely over the top and have been taken over by really bad types. Drugs are freely available and drinks, well actually poisonous buckets of liquid pushed on people who are egged on through peer pressure, macho or whatever to imbibe dangerous amounts of alcohol often mixed with other substances. There is absolutely no effort to curb the worst excesses of drugs or toxic cocktails. This is not normal and yet has become the raisin d'etre for attending the 'party'. There is plenty going on way beyond the law there and zero attemot to curtail anything, in fact to encourage it because all involved are corrupt.

This is the element that is bad - the utter excess - and that lies at the doorstep of Thailand to fix. They won't because it is all about money and nothing to do with freedom or any other excuse used as a smokescreen for the reality.

Gee, you must have led a sheltered life. I agree with your first paragraph, but . . . . I have seen similar "parties" all over the world since I was a teenager in the sixties--and yes, I have been to two full-moon parties on Koh Phangan--2014, and 2009--and I partied as hearty as most. As you said, it is part of growing up, to expand the envelope as much as you dare—I guess I am still growing up. Tragedy strikes too often, but it can be somewhat regulated by simply knowing your limits. Too many simply cannot control their intake of any substance which modifies their sensibilities--and that my friend does not stop simply because they get older--look at all the old fools about.

When I was young I went to the first full moon parties in Koh Pa Ngan in the 80s. 40 baht a night, no night clubs, lots of drugs.

You were probably working in an office saving for your pension.

After over 3 decades here I understand what the saying "arai ja gerd gaw hai mun gerd" means.

Thais have a different concept of death to Westerners. Everything happens for a reason, there are no mistakes. There are no tragedies. it is Karma, fate or whatever.

Archived