British tourist dies after Full Moon party in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm......Thailand seems to be a dangerous place to be a tourist at the moment

Rather it is a dangerous place to attempt to break records for drinking (possibly moonshine ) vodka from a plastic bucket, all night.

It's sad that a young man died. I feel sorry for his parents and family. But who can be surprised if you drink vodka by the bucketful?

Ehh...ok...so this strong rugby player had a nasty fall and bumped his head, ok, any witnesses to this accident? Any of his 9 travel friends maybe?

Or will this become another Luke Millar / Nick Pearson story.

They keep coming (to the full moon), they keep dying. Lemmings?

Condolences... yeah, but where do you draw the line? Guy shoots himself in the head...condolences blah blah ? Guy gets extremely drunk and decides to climb up condo balconies, wearing a Batman cloak...condolences? Where's the line?

Just asking.

Maybe this case justifies it. Maybe not.

'when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island.'

These full moon parties can be dangerous as seen in the past. Upsetting the mafia, drinking from buckets, drugs & mushroom cocktails all can be lethal on these islands .... Koh Tao is just one example.... blink.png

RIP .. way too young.

Why must we continue with all the BS------- Quotes------- "a paradise party"------ "an idyllic Thai Island"

If it was that wonderful,how come he's dead -------- the obligatory RIPcoffee1.gif

He fell and hit his head. Could have happened anywhere.

'when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island.'

These full moon parties can be dangerous as seen in the past. Upsetting the mafia, drinking from buckets, drugs & mushroom cocktails all can be lethal on these islands .... Koh Tao is just one example.... blink.png

RIP .. way too young.

Why must we continue with all the BS------- Quotes------- "a paradise party"------ "an idyllic Thai Island"

If it was that wonderful,how come he's dead -------- the obligatory RIPcoffee1.gif

how does one just standing ... fall and hit their head ? is there more to this than meets the eye ! blink.png

we all know strange things happen in Thailand and mafia is everywhere ......

RIP .. way too young.

how does one just standing ... fall and hit their head ? is there more to this than meets the eye ! blink.png

Thank you. I just checked under the bed -- not there, I think.

Look, the first time i came to LOS was when i was 35,some 19 yrs ago, still 25 in my head which{thinking back} imo was too young , i had only ever been to the usuall party islands in europe , ie ibeza,cyprus,majorca etc , these "kids"have no idea of what Thailand is like beneath the smiles which imo is the biggest problem , i would'nt want any of my kids coming here alone/with friends ,and the oldest is 26 , ...i was sitting in a quiete soi in Pattaya last year around midday and saw a few "kids" 18-25 yrs old walking up the soi, t-shirts off showing their new tatoos, ...as they got closer i could hear what they were saying = " oh guys, you shoulda seen dave lastnight , he nicked this security guards cap and threw it in the pool what a laugh " then ; "you mad b'stards, we wondered where you were when stevo let off the fire extignishers ",.....THIS IS NOT EUROPE ; CHILDISH PRANKS CAN END IN LOOSING FACE = GUN TO THE HEAD , there maybe a million prostitutes in Thailand but 80% of them are friendly and polite , they dont shag the 1st guy who makes a pass = "you up for it darlin ?", .not for free anyway which makes you think twice when you have to pay , it will be the first time for most under 30s and they have no idea of the Thai mentality, i have learned the hard way and got into a fight or 2 becouse of my humour , thai humour is childish/infantile and sarcasm goes over their little heads , you need a popsicle whistle and a jewish harp for them to understand its funny ; i have had 3 good friends die here for various resons being a bully, catching aids and commiting suicide and murdered by thais with a pick up ,...... you live and learn here , its not a western culture and experience is everything here, dont trust em , dont invest , dont believe and dont take em for granted , they are uneducated fools that happen to be lovely people if you dont test their tollerence , especially if they are strangers, the times ive seen young farangs rub or slap a Thais head recently is a dangerous start to what they expect to be a holiday of a lifetime ..DANGER ; KEEP OUT !

There's a lot to be said for overland travel, people adjust to cultures as they go, gradually understanding and getting to grips with other ways of doing things. But mass tourism has eradicated all that.Now uneducated and ignorant youth can be in Thailand within 15 hours of leaving Heathrow.

The laid back Thai lifestyle plus availability of booze, drugs and girls in tourist centres further boosts the tourists' arrogance and sense of invincibility.Then they do something stupid as you describe above.

It's not the Thais who are childish, infantile or uneducated fools here, it's the 'tourists',(as for humour, Thais do sarcasm very well if you know their language. Puns abound as in English).

The British government have made passing an exam called Knowledge of Life and Language in the UK compulsory for those who settle there, time to introduce a corresponding test regarding foreign cultures before passports are handed out to morons.

Posting on Facebook, his friend Nick Davies wrote on Facebook: ‘Gone from one of the best holidays of my life to worst in a flash.. Gone but never forgotten r.i.p. Stewy.’

Sadly this kind of post has been made far too often from those lawless isles.

Condolences to friends and family

Canuck ... thank you for providing the answer to "How many postings will it take to somehow imply the problem here is of Thai origin?" IE: "lawless isles"

I have no interest in your reply, but reply if you must get the last word ... I am taking a lesson from this young adventure's story, getting off my arse, and heading out today to squeeze as much as I can from this beautiful day, in the beautiful Kingdom of Thailand.

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

"Lawless" as in civilized countries don't serve alcohol by the bucket and they keep an eye on people. If someone appears to be intoxicated they get cut off in a bar or store.

Yes, this is lawless behavior and unfortunately people die from it, despite the people who "liked" your post.

Cheers.

Well I guess the US is a lawless country too, have you ever heard of a college frat party or house party? I'm sure other civilized lawless countries have these problems as well. Young people die pushing their limits having a good time all over the world. I would say that these full moon parties should come to an end because they are for profit, but as long as there are young people this is going to continue to happen.

My thoughts go to his parents, family, and friends. RIP young man

RIP .. way too young.

When one has consumed a very large amount of alcohol - and I don't think that there is any doubt that he had - then it is surprisingly easy to fall over and hit your head.

No need for the mafia.

Ah so is it wrong to say this sort of thing happens too often, or just to mention the location.

Hope the lesson you take from this story won't find you in tomorrow's new content.

I was about to do something stupid the other day.... And that exact thought stopped me!

a young man having the time his life with his mates on the piss with music and as many women as he could want lets say he was in heaven there and now has moved on to the real thing bad luck but lets hope he did not suffer and enjoyed his short time on the planet sad for his family and friends though

Posting on Facebook, his friend Nick Davies wrote on Facebook: ‘Gone from one of the best holidays of my life to worst in a flash.. Gone but never forgotten r.i.p. Stewy.’

A totally stupid post. Who forced him to drink???

Yeah Canuckamuck, he only leaned to abuse alcohol since he arrived here and there should be a law against tourists drinking too much anywhere while here, including in the privacy of their room, like in some middle east countries. May be you would be happy in Saudi where there are such rules.

Fact is stranger than fiction, especially in a tourist Mecca - like the supremely paradoxical "Land of Smiles."

In that vein, no matter how dangerous it gets in Thailand for tourists, visitors will keep flocking there in ever-greater numbers. Moreover, for many young, rite-of passage travelers to the country - the inherent deadly dangers are a huge draw - in fact a primary "raison d'etre" to go there in the first place!

It's so cool to be seen by thousands of other like-minded, at-risk, young farang of your ilk (utterly oblivious to Thai Culture) and party like it's 1999..

Many of these at-risk (ignorance is bliss) entitled young tourists get lovely Buddhist tattoos all over their bodies - not that most of them have much idea what they really mean. sad.png It's the thing to do you see, because monkey see - monkey do - never seems to go out of fashion. Check out Koh Phi Phi and you'll see what I mean (and every generation invented sex..whistling.gif )

Slightly more astute, proactive, safety-orientated travelers may even be aware that high tourist (and Thai) fatality statistics in Thailand are artificially skewed low, for a variety of reasons we won't go into here..

Best

RIP .. way too young.

Another young tourist "living the dream".....

Yeah Canuckamuck, he only leaned to abuse alcohol since he arrived here and there should be a law against tourists drinking too much anywhere while here, including in the privacy of their room, like in some middle east countries. May be you would be happy in Saudi where there are such rules.

My comment was in regards to the fact that those particular islands seem engineered to facilitate the deaths of young people bent on getting the biggest bang out of life. Too many coming home in the cargo hold for the crime of living the dream. Negligence and predation appear to be the business model there and the body count is perhaps not even an inconvenience.

When i was in Saudi it was an a alcoholics paradise. just saying. I'm just dashing off to AA

Look, the first time i came to LOS was when i was 35,some 19 yrs ago, still 25 in my head which{thinking back} imo was too young , i had only ever been to the usuall party islands in europe , ie ibeza,cyprus,majorca etc , these "kids"have no idea of what Thailand is like beneath the smiles which imo is the biggest problem , i would'nt want any of my kids coming here alone/with friends ,and the oldest is 26 , ...i was sitting in a quiete soi in Pattaya last year around midday and saw a few "kids" 18-25 yrs old walking up the soi, t-shirts off showing their new tatoos, ...as they got closer i could hear what they were saying = " oh guys, you shoulda seen dave lastnight , he nicked this security guards cap and threw it in the pool what a laugh " then ; "you mad b'stards, we wondered where you were when stevo let off the fire extignishers ",.....THIS IS NOT EUROPE ; CHILDISH PRANKS CAN END IN LOOSING FACE = GUN TO THE HEAD , there maybe a million prostitutes in Thailand but 80% of them are friendly and polite , they dont shag the 1st guy who makes a pass = "you up for it darlin ?", .not for free anyway which makes you think twice when you have to pay , it will be the first time for most under 30s and they have no idea of the Thai mentality, i have learned the hard way and got into a fight or 2 becouse of my humour , thai humour is childish/infantile and sarcasm goes over their little heads , you need a popsicle whistle and a jewish harp for them to understand its funny ; i have had 3 good friends die here for various resons being a bully, catching aids and commiting suicide and murdered by thais with a pick up ,...... you live and learn here , its not a western culture and experience is everything here, dont trust em , dont invest , dont believe and dont take em for granted , they are uneducated fools that happen to be lovely people if you dont test their tollerence , especially if they are strangers, the times ive seen young farangs rub or slap a Thais head recently is a dangerous start to what they expect to be a holiday of a lifetime ..DANGER ; KEEP OUT !

Yes, ignorance is rampant, especially in youth, but look at the old fools about. How many can think of an acquaintance with this story? A farang, married many years came home to a crying wife begging for lots of money. Unknown to him, she was a gambler and had mortgaged everything to the hilt--the house, the rubber rais, the cars--and the local Vig enforcers wanted big money, NOW.

Wall of silence from his friends. Why?

From Post #1: "Stewart Middleton, 25, was travelling with 10 others when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island."

Are you waiting for one of the 10 others to say he was pushed?

From Post #1: "Stewart Middleton, 25, was travelling with 10 others when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island."

No I guess he is waiting for one of the 10 others to say they saw the incident.

(or any of the other thousands and thousands of people)

"He is believed to have fallen and hit his dead during a Full Moon party – notorious alcohol-fuelled bashes that go on all night."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6977681/Tourist-Brit-25-dead-in-Thailand-after-nasty-fall-at-Full-Moon-party.html

So someone -- other than the reporter, Mr. Corocoran, who I will presume was not there -- must believe it. Mr. Corcoran does not say who it is that 'believes' that is what took place although the UK Foreign Office is referenced later in his report in confirming Mr. Middleton's death ... and maybe he did speak with one of the other 10 who traveled from UK to KP together.

"He is believed to have fallen and hit his dead during a Full Moon party – notorious alcohol-fuelled bashes that go on all night."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6977681/Tourist-Brit-25-dead-in-Thailand-after-nasty-fall-at-Full-Moon-party.html

So someone -- other than the reporter, Mr. Corocoran, who I will presume was not there -- must believe it. Mr. Corcoran does not say who it is that 'believes' that is what took place although the UK Foreign Office is referenced later in his report in confirming Mr. Middleton's death ... and maybe he did speak with one of the other 10 who traveled from UK to KP together.

Exactly, maybe the reporter did speak to one of the 10 others (or any of the thousands and thousands attending that party), maybe he should report on that...

Archived