British tourist dies after Full Moon party in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Posting on Facebook, his friend Nick Davies wrote on Facebook: Gone from one of the best holidays of my life to worst in a flash.. Gone but never forgotten r.i.p. Stewy.

Sadly this kind of post has been made far too often from those lawless isles.

Lawless are u an idiot !! Feel sad for his family but never seen a soul who attends full moon party straight !!

Condolences to friends and family

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posting on Facebook, his friend Nick Davies wrote on Facebook: Gone from one of the best holidays of my life to worst in a flash.. Gone but never forgotten r.i.p. Stewy.

Lawless are u an idiot !! Feel sad for his family but never seen a soul who attends full moon party straight !!

you screwed up the quotes. But once again I am attacked for pointing out that this type of tragedy happens too often over there. Should I have said it happens just the right amount of times.

Posting on Facebook, his friend Nick Davies wrote on Facebook: ‘Gone from one of the best holidays of my life to worst in a flash.. Gone but never forgotten r.i.p. Stewy.’

Canuck ... thank you for providing the answer to "How many postings will it take to somehow imply the problem here is of Thai origin?" IE: "lawless isles"

I have no interest in your reply, but reply if you must get the last word ... I am taking a lesson from this young adventure's story, getting off my arse, and heading out today to squeeze as much as I can from this beautiful day, in the beautiful Kingdom of Thailand.

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

"Lawless" as in civilized countries don't serve alcohol by the bucket and they keep an eye on people. If someone appears to be intoxicated they get cut off in a bar or store.

Yes, this is lawless behavior and unfortunately people die from it, despite the people who "liked" your post.

Cheers.

Really? I guess Woodstock must have been held in a lawless country then.

Which country was that again?

And more, how do you control on a party attended by thousands who buys booze for who?

.........it says......'found dead'.......

...yet they concluded...... 'he fell and bumped his head'......

To be reasonable, it would be a fairly obvious conclusion (perhaps you're referring to unsavoury assistance) for the injuries suffered. I have big scars on my mellon from sub dural hepatomas - spent 3 months in ICU inc. 1 in coma; from having a good night boozed (but was assaulted). It can happen so easily. But this is no justification for this ongoing (tourism) issue; of western demographics deaths in Thailand. 'Law of averages' I suspect Koh Koa is the tip of the ice berg as the remainder will go unnoticed through suppression of intel, instigated by those in power. Very sad for his family and friends at home. More safety will not be considered (forethought is uncommon sense) 'here' costs incurred & significance minimal. sad.png

In reply to the overly nested quote above abut The Sun article in Post #2: Maybe the experienced reporter did talk with some of the other 10 persons in the late Mr. Middleton's travel party and reported the unfortunate incident as someone falling and hitting his head without any need to suggest that the person might have died for reasons other than his falling and hitting his head.

Look, the first time i came to LOS was when i was 35,some 19 yrs ago, still 25 in my head which{thinking back} imo was too young , i had only ever been to the usuall party islands in europe , ie ibeza,cyprus,majorca etc , these "kids"have no idea of what Thailand is like beneath the smiles which imo is the biggest problem , i would'nt want any of my kids coming here alone/with friends ,and the oldest is 26 , ...i was sitting in a quiete soi in Pattaya last year around midday and saw a few "kids" 18-25 yrs old walking up the soi, t-shirts off showing their new tatoos, ...as they got closer i could hear what they were saying = " oh guys, you shoulda seen dave lastnight , he nicked this security guards cap and threw it in the pool what a laugh " then ; "you mad b'stards, we wondered where you were when stevo let off the fire extignishers ",.....THIS IS NOT EUROPE ; CHILDISH PRANKS CAN END IN LOOSING FACE = GUN TO THE HEAD , there maybe a million prostitutes in Thailand but 80% of them are friendly and polite , they dont shag the 1st guy who makes a pass = "you up for it darlin ?", .not for free anyway which makes you think twice when you have to pay , it will be the first time for most under 30s and they have no idea of the Thai mentality, i have learned the hard way and got into a fight or 2 becouse of my humour , thai humour is childish/infantile and sarcasm goes over their little heads , you need a popsicle whistle and a jewish harp for them to understand its funny ; i have had 3 good friends die here for various resons being a bully, catching aids and commiting suicide and murdered by thais with a pick up ,...... you live and learn here , its not a western culture and experience is everything here, dont trust em , dont invest , dont believe and dont take em for granted , they are uneducated fools that happen to be lovely people if you dont test their tollerence , especially if they are strangers, the times ive seen young farangs rub or slap a Thais head recently is a dangerous start to what they expect to be a holiday of a lifetime ..DANGER ; KEEP OUT !

Funny who you think the uneducated fools are,yet condone knocking a mans hat off into a swimming pool and let off fire ext.and you don't call that childish.I put myself out on a limb and say this is English "humour".Making fun of others who you don't even know.Show them a map and they wouldn't even be able to find Thailand.Thai's tolerance has been tested by cheap charlie larger louts for 30 years and i don't blame them if they gave a prick a slapping.These little boys wouldn't be so brave without their mates around them.

what is with the British population dying daily in Thailand?

Most act as if they are superman and then pay the price of their stupidity

He was young and got drunk and paid the ultimate price.

Most the expats like you on this forum go to Thailand to buy women and take advantage of 3rd world poverty, surely your breed are far wore than him.

"Oh come on the Thais have hardly set the bar high for standards of decency.

Christ sake they've created a banana republic that is the worlds brothel."

Your words above, so don't blame the foreigners, blame the people who facilitate it.

Wall of silence from his friends. Why?

From Post #1: "Stewart Middleton, 25, was travelling with 10 others when he suffered a nasty fall and is believed to have fatally bumped his head on Koh Phangan island."

Are you waiting for one of the 10 others to say he was pushed?

And police covered it up? Are we to endure categorizing this as foul play, too? I can hear it now... he wouldn't have fallen...tripped....stumbled.....

and of course....so many head injuries in those islands..

Conveniently disregarding the complete blotto state these kids aspire to.

btw Full moon was 2 weeks ago, why has this just made the news?

These full moon parties are a recipe for disaster. drugs, binge drinking, and being dumb...

going to this party from abroad means you want to have an "epic" night....

you KNOW going in that your odds of messing up your body somehow are much, much higher than normal.

this is like swimming with sharks in a tank....sure, 99% of the time you might be fine

maybe this party was his passion....maybe he only loved to drink all day and party......

i feel bad and it's horrible for his family, of course, but he traveled to "really party"

Hit his head on what?, for Christsakes! Reporting 101: who, what, where, when, why. and how. Anything less just fires up the loonies.

I am absolutely aghast at what passes for "journalism" in this part of the world.

As for Post #2, I believe both The Sun and the reporter Mr. Corcoran are based in London (UK, not Texas).

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more with hullmonkee's post. I've not looked at this thread for a while, because of the nasty, malicious and prejudiced views in previous posts.

There are reasons this (Samui, K.P. K.T) forum is so quiet, with so few diverse opinions.

It's become a typical, Old boy's club.

Any way, you can leave me out, along with a good number of other people, it seems.

I know many people are sensitive to Thai bashing and will defend even the indefensible. Going to parties and getting a bit drunk is part of growing up and there will be some who die from accidents like this and at home others who drive drunk and end up with a similar fate. Life is full of risks to navigate, some are lucky and some are not.

BUT the parties on this island are designed to be completely over the top and have been taken over by really bad types. Drugs are freely available and drinks, well actually poisonous buckets of liquid pushed on people who are egged on through peer pressure, macho or whatever to imbibe dangerous amounts of alcohol often mixed with other substances. There is absolutely no effort to curb the worst excesses of drugs or toxic cocktails. This is not normal and yet has become the raisin d'etre for attending the 'party'. There is plenty going on way beyond the law there and zero attemot to curtail anything, in fact to encourage it because all involved are corrupt.

This is the element that is bad - the utter excess - and that lies at the doorstep of Thailand to fix. They won't because it is all about money and nothing to do with freedom or any other excuse used as a smokescreen for the reality.

This young man was 25 years old. Many would consider this to be an adult age. Perhaps the culture he grew up in taught him that the government was responsible for his well being. This is not Thailand's problem to fix. A 25 year old should be capable of making mature, adult decisions without relying on a government to make those decisions for him.

I know many people are sensitive to Thai bashing and will defend even the indefensible. Going to parties and getting a bit drunk is part of growing up and there will be some who die from accidents like this and at home others who drive drunk and end up with a similar fate. Life is full of risks to navigate, some are lucky and some are not.

BUT the parties on this island are designed to be completely over the top and have been taken over by really bad types. Drugs are freely available and drinks, well actually poisonous buckets of liquid pushed on people who are egged on through peer pressure, macho or whatever to imbibe dangerous amounts of alcohol often mixed with other substances. There is absolutely no effort to curb the worst excesses of drugs or toxic cocktails. This is not normal and yet has become the raisin d'etre for attending the 'party'. There is plenty going on way beyond the law there and zero attemot to curtail anything, in fact to encourage it because all involved are corrupt.

This is the element that is bad - the utter excess - and that lies at the doorstep of Thailand to fix. They won't because it is all about money and nothing to do with freedom or any other excuse used as a smokescreen for the reality.

This young man was 25 years old. Many would consider this to be an adult age. Perhaps the culture he grew up in taught him that the government was responsible for his well being. This is not Thailand's problem to fix. A 25 year old should be capable of making mature, adult decisions without relying on a government to make those decisions for him.

I understand your point and there is a lot of merit in it. However I do not subscribe to the idea that there is no role for the government to control what is allowed in a society and everything falls to personal responsibility. Thailand controls drugs and these bucket cocktails are illegal yet it does not enforce these laws and their flagrant abuse because of corruption and quest for the tourist dollar. People die when they go for a swim because things are unregulated and speedboats chop them up through lack f thought and care or regulation. I think the government does have criticism in this but I am certainly not laying the responsibility for this young minds demise at their feet. It is all a matter of balance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand your point and there is a lot of merit in it. However I do not subscribe to the idea that there is no role for the government to control what is allowed in a society and everything falls to personal responsibility. Thailand controls drugs and these bucket cocktails are illegal yet it does not enforce these laws and their flagrant abuse because of corruption and quest for the tourist dollar. People die when they go for a swim because things are unregulated and speedboats chop them up through lack f thought and care or regulation. I think the government does have criticism in this but I am certainly not laying the responsibility for this young minds demise at their feet. It is all a matter of balance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You make very valid points. But governments set speed limits and many countries actively enforce them. Still some choose to ignore them. Governments have made many drugs illegal, and actively enforce the law. Yet drug abuse still happens. Many more examples of why each person, especially adults, should make their own decisions, realizing that every decision has a consequence.

SNIPPETT:

There are reasons this (Samui, K.P. K.T) forum is so quiet, with so few diverse opinions.

It's become a typical, Old boy's club.

More like an Ol' Gals club, really, with a harem mentality hierarchy.

The Full Moon parties, the drugs sold, the money earned through illegal channels, untaxed, unregulated is the landing step on Thailand's corruption stairway. That and prostitution.

Don't expect Thailand to behave responsibly and cook her goose laying the golden eggs.

The UK FCO issues clear warnings to travelers regarding dangerous activity in the Samui Archipelago. If some choose to ignore it, if party 'till ya puke is your idea of a good time, well... freedom reigns.

A post commenting on moderation was edited and another post containing another comment on moderation has now been removed.

An inflammatory post in response to an objectionable post has been removed. If a member feels a post is objectionable, please do not respond to the objectionable post, please use the report button to report the objectionable post instead and then the objectionable post will be dealt with accordingly.

Archived