Review : SETV – in Hong Kong

You took some effort in putting that together so thanks for that.

I confirm the same experience beginning of Nov 2015 so good to know it hasn't changed.

Thanks.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Good post, the pictures are very useful as finding the consulate from a map can be very confusing. Hong Kong is a wonderful city to visit. As you mentioned a trip to the peak is a must. Lots of good food options at lunchtime in the soho area where some very decent restaurants offer great 3 or 4 course lunch sets at a fraction of the evening cost. And concerning hotels, I've found HK to be one of the places where you can do a lot better on internet deals than walk in rates, unlike some other cities in the region.

Agree with the advice regarding the airport bus, some spectacular views on the way into the city. And get a local simcard, preferably at the airport, makes travel way simpler. Wifi isn't always guaranteed and internet cafes can be hard to find in HK nowadays.

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

Based on what they actually took, the requirements for an SETV from Hong Kong appear more relaxed than a year or so ago. Did you have other tourist visas and/or visa exempt entries in your passport? What is your nationality?

You took some effort in putting that together so thanks for that.

I confirm the same experience beginning of Nov 2015 so good to know it hasn't changed.

Thanks.

Thank you lkv.

We thought it might be useful for people who want to obtain SETV in Hong Kong.

Good post, the pictures are very useful as finding the consulate from a map can be very confusing. Hong Kong is a wonderful city to visit. As you mentioned a trip to the peak is a must. Lots of good food options at lunchtime in the soho area where some very decent restaurants offer great 3 or 4 course lunch sets at a fraction of the evening cost. And concerning hotels, I've found HK to be one of the places where you can do a lot better on internet deals than walk in rates, unlike some other cities in the region.

Agree with the advice regarding the airport bus, some spectacular views on the way into the city. And get a local simcard, preferably at the airport, makes travel way simpler. Wifi isn't always guaranteed and internet cafes can be hard to find in HK nowadays.

Thank you lamyai 3.

We have tried many recommended restaurants in Hong Kong but did not really like most of them. One bakery shop that we really recommend for anyone who like bake cheese tart, it's the shop called 'Hanjuku Kobo' in Tsim Sha Tsui, they makes really really good tarts there.

fuytf8.jpg

( Bake Cheese Tart, Credit to : photosnap.com )

353cdh2.jpg

Bake Cheese Cakes

We found the airport bus is cheaper but took about an hour to get to town.

• Like 2

Based on what they actually took, the requirements for an SETV from Hong Kong appear more relaxed than a year or so ago. Did you have other tourist visas and/or visa exempt entries in your passport? What is your nationality?

Hello BritTim,

1 x SETV - Kuala Lumpur

2 x METV - Vientiane

British

• Like 2

Hello BritTim,

1 x SETV - Kuala Lumpur

2 x METV - Vientiane

British

METV ?

Do you mean double entry tourist visas ?

Excellent review. Do you know if it is possible to get 2 SETV's over there?

As well, where did you stay - any hotel recommendations for a decent price?

Thanks

Thank you mrmattman.

Based on their website, only SETV and METV are available.

We stayed at VP Hotel in Mong Kok ( close to MTR Prince Edward, exit C2 ). The hotel was ok and clean. But no heater so it was quite cold at night. There is 1 convenience store (Circle K), McDonald's and a few Chinese restaurants nearby.

We booked our stay online. If you will stay there on weekday and also weekend, try to book the room separate or do 2 bookings. It will be cheaper.

You can ask the reception to copy your Hong Kong Visit-Permit ticket there, they charge 10 HKD for 1 copy.

Hello BritTim,

1 x SETV - Kuala Lumpur

2 x DETV - Vientiane

British

edit - DETV

METV ?

Do you mean double entry tourist visas ?

------------------------------------------------------

Yes, sorry.

1 x SETV - Kuala Lumpur

2 x DETV - Vientiane

• Like 1

Thank you mrmattman.

Based on their website, only SETV and METV are available.

We stayed at VP Hotel in Mong Kok ( close to MTR Prince Edward, exit C2 ). The hotel was ok and clean. But no heater so it was quite cold at night. There is 1 convenience store (Circle K), McDonald's and a few Chinese restaurants nearby.

We booked our stay online. If you will stay there on weekday and also weekend, try to book the room separate or do 2 bookings. It will be cheaper.

You can ask the reception to copy your Hong Kong Visit-Permit ticket there, they charge 10 HKD for 1 copy.

Good morning Jellybunny,

I got an triple entry visa before, I was referring to that one. A bit confusing with the new multiple 6 months visa now smile.png

Thanks for all the info - really good stuff.

Cheers,

Matt

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the good info.   Were your visas all used back to back, or was there a bit of downtime between each of them? I'm thinking about going to HK next month  but I already have a number of visa exempt entries and 1 SETV used back to back. 

I have the fine print above my last Vientiane 2-entry TV, "holder of this passport travels to Thailand under tourist visa several times..." That visa is dated 2 Jun 2015 -- 14 months ago, 3rd 2-entry TV in a row from Vientiane, followed by two visa runs to Laos, in Dec, 2015, and Feb, 2016. 

When I left Thailand in April, 2016, the immigration officer (whom I had met on a previous trip) suggested that next time I wanted to come to Thailand, I should go to Hong Kong. From what I've read on this forum, that sounds like the best option for me.

So I'm thinking of going to Hong Kong or Kunming to get an SETV.

Should I expect any difficulty getting an SETV in Hong Kong in my current passport?

Thanks in advance!

Good report, thanks:)

About 6 months bankstatements.:whistling:

How much balance needed?, active account with something every month happening needed?, Printing of online statemens o.k?

Or maby best or best not to show thaiaccountbankbook?

Edited by thaitero

On 17/8/2559 at 2:15 PM, thaitero said:

Good report, thanks:)

About 6 months bankstatements.:whistling:

How much balance needed?, active account with something every month happening needed?, Printing of online statemens o.k?

Or maby best or best not to show thaiaccountbankbook?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello thaitero,

6 months Bank statements we prepared, just in case. They didn't require it.
They were online bank statements from foreign bank not from thai bank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.

I am minmally disabled however, and fly with a wheelchair from Airlines, so is it possible to take a taxi from airport to a hotel near to the Thai consulate.

I asume so, difficult for me to walk to far.

Rather pay taxi fee than wlk any long distance.

6 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Thanks for the info.

I am minmally disabled however, and fly with a wheelchair from Airlines, so is it possible to take a taxi from airport to a hotel near to the Thai consulate.

Yes, you can get a taxi. Depending on traffic, expect a taxi one way from the airport to Central to cost around 300 HKD (1,350 baht).

• 2 weeks later...

We got our visas this week and everything in this post is still more or less true.   We stayed at Bishop Lei international House which was convenient because they have a shuttle that runs every hour that drops you off at Admiralty station.  From there it's a walk up and over the footbridge to Fairmont House.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I may be blind, but I just went to the website for the Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong, and they do not mention the SETV.  Is this an omission of the website? Or am I just blind?

I found it after selecting my country at the bottom of this page. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049

It does not state single entry tourist visa on the page but does have a list for the required documents for a tourist visa which would only be for a single entry visa since that is all I could apply for there.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I found it after selecting my country at the bottom of this page. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049

It does not state single entry tourist visa on the page but does have a list for the required documents for a tourist visa which would only be for a single entry visa since that is all I could apply for there.

Ah, so that is what that subsection is for.  However it says a copy of 'Hong Kong / Macau I.D. Card' is needed.  So I presumed this was just for Hong Kong people and not foreigners visiting.

14 hours ago, JayBird said:

Ah, so that is what that subsection is for.  However it says a copy of 'Hong Kong / Macau I.D. Card' is needed.  So I presumed this was just for Hong Kong people and not foreigners visiting.

They will not ask for the ID card since you are not from there. Your passport and the HK entry slip takes care of that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 3:22 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

Thanks for the info.

IMA: I'm not sure if your question is still timely, but you should be able to take the train from HKG airport to Central station with NO PROBLEM, as I seem to recall that train is wheelchair-friendly, all the way to the Central station -- which is just one MTR stop or a short taxi ride away from Admiralty station & Fairmont House. (Thai consulate is in the Fairmont House bldg).

26 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

IMA: I'm not sure if your question is still timely, but you should be able to take the train from HKG airport to Central station with NO PROBLEM, as I seem to recall that train is wheelchair-friendly, all the way to the Central station -- which is just one MTR stop or a short taxi ride away from Admiralty station & Fairmont House. (Thai consulate is in the Fairmont House bldg).

I do not think he was intending to travel with his own wheelchair. Thus, your information is only useful if he can rent a wheelchair at the airport. Perhaps, he can by prior arrangement. Probably, though, taxis are a better solution if he can afford it.