Stacks of cash, suicide note with instructions found next to body of American, 26, in Phuket hotel

rooster59

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This suicide seems so different than the many we read about here in Thailand but maybe this eloquent bright young man just better describes what many others have felt before him. Maybe many others standing near us feel the same way right now but we don't even know it. The main feeilng I got perusing his blogs was that I will really enjoy my day here in Phuket to the fullest. It's a beautiful day where I am, I have an amazing view of the sea and I'm on a nice quiet island off the mainland and can't wait to get on my bike, ride around through the fishing village, take a swim in clear sea water, east well, see friends and have some drinks and talk. I feel great today and I hope a lot of other people do as well. I certainly know this is not the case for many however.

I hope this one really rests in pease.

An apparent suicide note found in the room contained clear instructions for how to use the cash, the biggest chunk asked to be given to the "police and/or hospital to cover the cost of their investigation if any".

I don't see the part where he leaves the biggest part to the hospital and police.

I hope they gave the staff their part and the hotel theirs before taking the biggest chunk.

These were his last wishes and they should be granted.

An apparent suicide note found in the room contained clear instructions for how to use the cash, the biggest chunk asked to be given to the "police and/or hospital to cover the cost of their investigation if any".

I wonder who decided to change that. Apparently the 20,000 bag of cash wasn't enough, the bibs admire the 22,800 bag. The biggest chunk is for the housekeeper......... we all know, the housekeeper won't be able to read this will, and will be given a free paid day off and a 500 baht.

I didn't know Nathan but after reading halfway through his story on his website it is clear he was a very troubled young man, who I believe really did need psychiatric help.

I share many of the same views as him, but not in the same way.

I don't think he really believed what he said, I think he was trying to justify his suicidal thoughts rather than accepting he just needed help.

I feel very sorry for his family. My condolences to them.

I just finished reading his website. A very sad history. Ironically he left behind a very important document for medical research.

He was suffering many serious medical issues, but also combined with a bipolar mental disorder. Bipolar disorder can be very productive or very destructive condition, depending of its treatment. Unfortunately he didn't had the best treatment and counseling...and he forgot to research what most psychologists will do when a patient will declare its suicidal intentions. Just to avoid facing professional liability, psychologists will report it to authorities, that most of the times will not provide good treatment, just taking restrain measures.

Looks like he was a very smart "inventor". The world still remember famous inventors and scientist, many people with amazing skills in every field, that motivated and inspired generations. Many, if not most of them, were suffering for bipolar disorder. The most recent, Apple's Steve Jobs.

This young man probably was on the right place to find emotional and spiritual help, even medical help, but sometimes hope alone it is not strong enough to make people keep searching for a "miracle". Pain is not a good counselor.

Such a sad story. Am I the only person who feels that posting his suicide note by media is disgusting?

It's only second to posting a photo of his dead body. Disgusting indeed to infringe on a persons privacy like that but I guess they decided to post it because it was just a practical note opposed to his last feelings/emotions.

RIP Nathan

I read all his site and this is what he wanted for a long time, he was a very smart man

but didn't see any positive side to his life, he was miserable and I can understand why

he committed suicide,

Suicide is not age related many young people do, and no one can stop them, most of

the time they dont even talk about it, I had 2 suicides in my family and no one suspected.

He made is choice and I agree with him that this is a personal choice and the court

should not have placed him in an institution, I think they just made it worst for him,

he now had restrictions for jobs because they classified him as a risk.

R.I.P. young man.

Why do so many people seem to choose Thailand to end their life?

Coincident?

Actually... many other countries have a much higher suicide rate than Thailand has. Thailand is like Number 56 on the list... tied with Cuba.

Japan even has a "Suicide Forest" where many people go to end their lives. Aokigahara, also known as the Suicide Forest or Sea of Trees.

Even the U.S. has a higher suicide rate per capita than Thailand. It's number 50 on the list. 2012 list ..World Health Organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Very, very sad. Reading his personal blog shows the mental torture this young man was going through. R.I.P.

https://www.nathanhouse.com/

I get it. Clinical depression. He was delusional too. No one used the term "mentally defective" except himself. It appears he was committed in attempt to save him from himself, which seems reasonable to me. In that case three weeks was obviously not enough.

Such a sad story. Am I the only person who feels that posting his suicide note by media is disgusting?

Yes, you're the only one.

This is, after all, Thailand and not the U.S. where such over the top sensitivities prevail.

Conspiracy alert..

Nathan dates his first blog entry just like any American would...month first, followed by the day then the year...on his suicide note he lists the date as a UK resident would...day, month, year...just saying.

If you read the comments at the bottom of his blog it seems he was very much loved and respected by those around him. Having read the "Right to Die" overview and his personal story, I cannot comment on his choice to end his life. I can only express my condolences to his family and loved ones.

I read through his story on his blog (https://www.nathanhouse.com/right-to-die/my-story/) and at first I felt anger at him for wanting to end his life but by the time I reached the end and saw all the comments from people trying to reach him, especially his family, I could only feel a great sadness for both himself and them.

Conspiracy alert..

Nathan dates his first blog entry just like any American would...month first, followed by the day then the year...on his suicide note he lists the date as a UK resident would...day, month, year...just saying.

And if you bother going to his website and reading this link https://www.nathanhouse.com/right-to-die/my-story/ you'll see that the handwriting in the note matches the handwriting in the diagram he made of Virginia Baptist Hospital.

Conspiracy over.

Yes, you're the only one.

This is, after all, Thailand and not the U.S. where such over the top sensitivities prevail.

Was this really a necessary post?

I have read most of this poignant and heart rending story, https://www.nathanhouse.com/ . I am very sad at the tragic loss of this life. I know it can be a cruel world out there and much of it is far from perfect but I think his psychologist, Dr. Gary Sibcy, is guilty of criminal neglect resulting in death.

I agree with you,...the story looks like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest #2". Terrible, and would bring more than one man to make a end to it....RIP.

Best regards.

Archived