Brown Rice. Will it make me fat?

BookMan

I have heard that brown rice is much better healthwise than white rices.

I have taken a liking to the brown stuff over the last couple of years and i eat it most days now.

Does it have any particular benefits?

Will it make me pile on the weight?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eating too much piles on weight.. but brown rice is better as white rice. It releases it energy slower and has more vitamins and minerals. Still eating too much of it will make you fat, just like eating too much broccoli will do the same thing (just a lot harder to eat too much broccoli).

So its quite hard to say if it will make you fat without knowing how much you eat of it.

In reality even healthy food can make you fat, its the amount that counts in the end.

Eating too much piles on weight.. but brown rice is better as white rice. It releases it energy slower and has more vitamins and minerals. Still eating too much of it will make you fat, just like eating too much broccoli will do the same thing (just a lot harder to eat too much broccoli).

So its quite hard to say if it will make you fat without knowing how much you eat of it.

In reality even healthy food can make you fat, its the amount that counts in the end.

I have never weighed how much it is, but it would be about 4 rice cups of cooked brown rice per time i eat it

I have never weighed how much it is, but it would be about 4 rice cups of cooked brown rice per time i eat it

That's a lot.

That's a lot.

Yeah it is.

I just served some out and it is more like 2-2.5 cups of cooked brown rice

That's a lot.

Yeah it is.

I just served some out and it is more like 2-2.5 cups of cooked brown rice

It is 2 cups or it is MORE than two cups!

Why do the obese have a mental block concerning simple quantitative measurement of foodstuffs ?

Why do the obese have a mental block concerning simple quantitative measurement of foodstuffs ?

That's why i said 2-2.5 cups i generally have... I don 't actually measure it every time

Have you gotten over your mental block old boy?

That's why i said 2-2.5 cups i generally have... I don 't actually measure it every time

Have you gotten over your mental block old boy?

Why not just admit to stacking the plate and making a wild guess about the quantity actually consumed.

There are many academic studies which demonstrate that fat people always 'underestimate' the actual amount of food they consume.

One of the reason to choose brown rice over white rice is because brown rice is more solid and takes longer time to digest..hence it will make you feel full longer ... And it will help you to eat lesser ...

When the body works harder to digest that burns calories.

That's why rare meat actually is in effect lower calorie than the same portion well done.

One of the reason to choose brown rice over white rice is because brown rice is more solid and takes longer time to digest..hence it will make you feel full longer ... And it will help you to eat lesser ...

That's why rare meat actually is in effect lower calorie than the same portion well done.

So, generally speaking, Stick to brown rice, over white rice and have the portion size moderate?

How about the red and black rice i see around?

I have heard Sticky rice is not so good

Brown rice is high in fibre, and contains many vitamins and minerals.

Good quality carbs are an essential in any healthy diet and will not make you fat.

Two real tips : drink a glass of water a few minutes before you eat, and put less on your plate. When I am served rice I generally scoop half of it off my plate.

Good quality carbs are an essential in any healthy diet and will not make you fat.

Two real tips : drink a glass of water a few minutes before you eat, and put less on your plate. When I am served rice I generally scoop half of it off my plate.

drink some water to fill the stomach? good idea

Brown rice is definitely healthier but eating huge quantities (e.g. the 4 cups mentioned) will still make you fat.

Have you actually tried it? As I find it hard to imagine eating 4 cups of it at a serving. It is more filling and less quickly metabolized than white rice so most people eat less of it than they would of white rice, which is basically pure sugar.

This alone is a benefit but there are others in the form of more vitamins and minerals and fiber. White rice is stripped of pretty much everything except calories.

Brown rice is definitely healthier but eating huge quantities (e.g. the 4 cups mentioned) will still make you fat.

Have you actually tried it? As I find it hard to imagine eating 4 cups of it at a serving. It is more filling and less quickly metabolized than white rice so most people eat less of it than they would of white rice, which is basically pure sugar.

This alone is a benefit but there are others in the form of more vitamins and minerals and fiber. White rice is stripped of pretty much everything except calories.

4 cups was a guestimate

i cooked some and measured it out to between 2 - 2.5 cups of cooked rice which i mention later

plus curry or vegetable or sausage with that.

Brown will takes longer time to digest compared to white rice, so you take a smaller portion to avoid over eating..

Sticky rice is very high in sugar. Not advisable if you are watching your diet.

Beside, one of the highly effective way to reduce weight is avoid eating any sugar especially soft drinks, sweets, and etc.

No processed food too ...

Not to fill stomach no....your assumption that!

Thirst is often mistaken for hunger, and if there is no liquid around people will tend to eat more as there is fluid in food. There is a study out there somewhere. I heard about it on a BBC science programme.

Not to fill stomach no....your assumption that!

Thirst is often mistaken for hunger, and if there is no liquid around people will tend to eat more as there is fluid in food. There is a study out there somewhere. I heard about it on a BBC science programme.

never assume

Well, it has a little bit more fiber and a trace of some minerals, but just as many carbs.

According to the Livestrong site: one cup of white rice contains 0.6 grams of fiber, while 1 cup of brown rice contains 3.5 grams of fiber.

That's nearly six times as much.

Nobody quite seems to agree how much fibre is needed per day for a healthy diet, but 12g per 1000 calories is about a ball park figure.

Personally, I thought brown rice contained much more than that. Not so wonderful after all.

So, generally speaking, Stick to brown rice, over white rice and have the portion size moderate?

How about the red and black rice i see around?

I have heard Sticky rice is not so good

Sticky rice has a glycemic index of 100 - the same as table sugar. It's pure starch.

Well, it has a little bit more fiber and a trace of some minerals, but just as many carbs.

According to the Livestrong site: one cup of white rice contains 0.6 grams of fiber, while 1 cup of brown rice contains 3.5 grams of fiber.

That's nearly six times as much.

Nobody quite seems to agree how much fibre is needed per day for a healthy diet, but 12g per 1000 calories is about a ball park figure.

Personally, I thought brown rice contained much more than that. Not so wonderful after all.

I know that people want or sometimes need the carbs, but choosing some veggies over rice will give a lot more fiber! :) That's just me though, I avoid most grains. YOMMV.

Just my few cents. It is very important to have a balance in everything including our meal. Balance diet should consist of vegetables, proteins (substitute with protein vegetables for vegetarian), fruits and carbs.

Carbs are important to our body to activate the metabolic so we should not avoid it but choosing the right carbs and also eating the right amount. Breakfast is good and should never skip your breakfast. I used to skip breakfast for the last 20 years and now I have the habit of eating healthy breakfast.

Some of the food that i always avoid is Sugar. I drink coffee or tea without sugar. I don't drink soft drinks. It is also not advisable to drink fruit juice even for no sugar added fruit juice. It takes about 4-6 oranges to makes one cup of orange juice and it is too much of sugar in it. Cut down on alcohol if you do drink..

Also avoid processed food such as instant oats, sausages, bacon, pop corns, chips, fries, burgers and eat. Oh.. i often see many people on diet taking salads with alot of dressing. That is not good too... good salad dressing should be balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, coconut oil.

These are the food that i usually eat and avoid to eat. Occasionally i do reward myself with some nice food but never over eating it.

Just my few cents. It is very important to have a balance in everything including our meal. Balance diet should consist of vegetables, proteins (substitute with protein vegetables for vegetarian), fruits and carbs.

Carbs are important to our body to activate the metabolic so we should not avoid it but choosing the right carbs and also eating the right amount. Breakfast is good and should never skip your breakfast. I used to skip breakfast for the last 20 years and now I have the habit of eating healthy breakfast.

Some of the food that i always avoid is Sugar. I drink coffee or tea without sugar. I don't drink soft drinks. It is also not advisable to drink fruit juice even for no sugar added fruit juice. It takes about 4-6 oranges to makes one cup of orange juice and it is too much of sugar in it. Cut down on alcohol if you do drink..

Also avoid processed food such as instant oats, sausages, bacon, pop corns, chips, fries, burgers and eat. Oh.. i often see many people on diet taking salads with alot of dressing. That is not good too... good salad dressing should be balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, coconut oil.

These are the food that i usually eat and avoid to eat. Occasionally i do reward myself with some nice food but never over eating it.

French fries and instant oats are both pretty healthy. Good fibre, lots of vits and minerals. I certainly agree about soft drinks, fruit juices, and mayonnaise.

Archived